ADVERTISEMENT

CAM

Sep 21, 2018
Is playing a full court press the best option given our athleticism which is much greater than MSU or PU? I say yes, we should be pressing at least 15 minutes of the game.

Is playing a full court press the best option given our athleticism which is much greater than MSU or PU? I say yes, we should be pressing at least 15 minutes of the game.

It would be interesting to see it but my guess is they won't do it much this season unless it is a late game situation. Too many new faces just trying to learn the basics of Coach Miller's system. It would also help if they had a legit shot blocker sitting back as the last line of defense.

Considering we only have 4 scholarship guards, no.

And "Cam" is Cam Cameron.

No. We’re not long enough or athletic enough to run an effective press. And we don’t have the depth. This isn’t even being considered.

Yeagley didn't but other than that yeah.
Now that I truly think, they do leave for better jobs, too, i.e. Tracey Smith to Arizona State and Sam Wyche to the Cincy Bengals but this is relatively rare with firing more the norm. Not too many Hall of Fame coaches get fired. Also, not many fired coaches have streets named after them, i.e. Bill Mallory Blvd. in Bloomington. What is it about our Indiana U?

If a press is used hopefully it is in a situational scenario trying to swing momentum when the game is going bad or maybe to take advantage of a matchup.

I'd rather play the same defensive style the team played last season under Archie. Last year's team played defense really well in stretches. If the team is much improved physically in athleticism and strength then that should also translate to improved defense especially if the new players are on the same page as the coach. I wouldn't give teams the opportunity to attack a press in the open court if the half court defensive is working well. I would prefer not to see 2 on 1 or even 2 on 2 scenarios. I'd rather see all 5 guys back in the half court and make the opponent work hard for their buckets.

Ron Roneron works for me.
Wow, you beat me on that one if changing the unspoken rules counts such that something like Cam Camecam is okay. Otherwise, we'll have to stick with Ron CameRON or maybe those millennials with their silly kid names will name a son "Camer" as in Camer Cameron or maybe "Ameron" for Ameron Cameron.

Reactions: ThreeToMakeTwo
If a press is used hopefully it is in a situational scenario trying to swing momentum when the game is going bad or maybe to take advantage of a matchup.

I'd rather play the same defensive style the team played last season under Archie. Last year's team played defense really well in stretches. If the team is much improved physically in athleticism and strength then that should also translate to improved defense especially if the new players are on the same page as the coach. I wouldn't give teams the opportunity to attack a press in the open court if the half court defensive is working well. I would prefer not to see 2 on 1 or even 2 on 2 scenarios. I'd rather see all 5 guys back in the half court and make the opponent work hard for their buckets.

Don't worry. Archie made it clear last year that his philosophy is to play and teach one defense, and his plan is to recruit the guys who can play it. His goal is to be really, really good at that one defensive scheme. That one scheme for him is a pack-line man-to-man. That's all we'll run. The OP is either trolling, or quite uninformed about Coach Miller.

How well the guys pick it up is a different question. Last season, it took longer than expected--but things improved by the end of the year. I was surprised to see Hartman, allegedly our highest IQ player, still flying by shooters on close-outs mid-season...which is basically the biggest no-no in a packline.

This year, it seems we'll probably be longer, and perhaps also quicker...so if the guys can pick up the scheme quickly, our defense could be stout. But if they don't...could be rocky early on. But we're returning at least 3 starters who understand it--which is 3 more than we had this time last year.

Don't worry. Archie made it clear last year that his philosophy is to play and teach one defense, and his plan is to recruit the guys who can play it. His goal is to be really, really good at that one defensive scheme. That one scheme for him is a pack-line man-to-man. That's all we'll run. The OP is either trolling, or quite uninformed about Coach Miller.

How well the guys pick it up is a different question. Last season, it took longer than expected--but things improved by the end of the year. I was surprised to see Hartman, allegedly our highest IQ player, still flying by shooters on close-outs mid-season...which is basically the biggest no-no in a packline.

This year, it seems we'll probably be longer, and perhaps also quicker...so if the guys can pick up the scheme quickly, our defense could be stout. But if they don't...could be rocky early on. But we're returning at least 3 starters who understand it--which is 3 more than we had this time last year.
Teaching becomes exponential yearly. Last year only the coaching staff itself knew the scheme. This year we have upperclassmen and managers who have a years experience with it, who will also help teach. Next year we'll have even more and players who have two years. Players teach as much as coaches do, last year we didn't have that option. .

No. We’re not long enough or athletic enough to run an effective press. And we don’t have the depth. This isn’t even being considered.
lol .............

We won't run the press because Arch doesn't use it as his primary defense, but the reasons you gave are not the reason. What an ignorant crock of a claim. Quit making up BS.

Basketball 101 for 400$ Alex...

What ARE the two most desired traits to play a pack line? What is length and quickness.. What did we recruit in our first cycle? Ugh, length and quickness. What do Smith, Langford, Forrester, and Hunter all have in common. Ugh, length and quickness.

Where do you dig up this stupid bullshit from, your brain? You need a much better source for information.You just outed yourself as clueless about the game and will be treated as such. You've never played a day in your life and all the years of being a fan have help you very little.

Last edited:
What is the two most desired traits to play a pack line? What is length and quickness.. What did we recruit in our first cycle? Ugh, length and quickness. What do Smith, Langford, Forrester, and Hunter all have in common. Ugh, length and quickness.
"English Grammar and Punctuation" for $400, Alex! I think Romeo Langford is going to be a very important cog in the system, assuming he doesn't tear his Achilles tendon.

Last edited:
"English Grammar and Punctuation" for $400, Alex!
According to Scott this is a basketball board and those things don't matter. I corrected my error, thanks. Sorry you were confused. I've always heard that dumb people have problems with comprehending poor writing. My bad.

If you don't have anything to add - about basketball - go back to class, Professor Hemingway. It's a basketball discussion, add to it if you can, or go away and quit clogging the board with stupid crap.

Thanks..

Last edited:
According to Scott this is a basketball board and those things don't matter. I corrected my error, thanks. Sorry you were confused. I've always heard that dumb people have problems with comprehending poor writing. My bad.

If you don't have anything to add - about basketball - go back to class, Professor Hemingway. It's a basketball discussion, add to it if you can, or go away and quit clogging the board with stupid crap.

Thanks..
Boy, you sure are a surly one today spouting all your worthless crap of a post. I won't speculate as to why but I bet it has something to do with an answer your girlfriend told you and it's not even dark out, yet...something about not tonight. BTW, I corrected my error, too. Thanks for the gold star, Shirley, or should I say Surly?

lol .............

We won't run the press because Arch doesn't use it as his primary defense, but the reasons you gave are not the reason. What an ignorant crock of a claim. Quit making up BS.

Basketball 101 for 400$ Alex...

What ARE the two most desired traits to play a pack line? What is length and quickness.. What did we recruit in our first cycle? Ugh, length and quickness. What do Smith, Langford, Forrester, and Hunter all have in common. Ugh, length and quickness.

Where do you dig up this stupid bullshit from, your brain? You need a much better source for information.You just outed yourself as clueless about the game and will be treated as such. You've never played a day in your life and all the years of being a fan have help you very little.
You’re really struggling here man. I’ve seen you getting owned on multiple threads lately. As soon as you pull out the insults it’s easy to tell you lost the debate.

You literally named 4 guys who can supposedly run a press and 3 of them have never worn a college uniform. You need 8-10 long athletic players to run a press. Davis, Durham, Fitzner, Moore, McBob, Green, Damezi, Phinissee, Morgan, etc have no business running a press.

Can you imagine Davis, Moore, Fitzner, etc in the back of a press. That’s a disaster.

Boy, you sure are a surly one today spouting all your worthless crap of a post. I won't speculate as to why but I bet it has something to do with an answer your girlfriend told you and it's not even dark out, yet...something about not tonight. BTW, I corrected my error, too. Thanks for the gold star, Shirley, or should I say Surly?

TD:WR

You’re really struggling here man. I’ve seen you getting owned on multiple threads lately. As soon as you pull out the insults it’s easy to tell you lost the debate.

You literally named 4 guys who can supposedly run a press and 3 of them have never worn a college uniform. You need 8-10 long athletic players to run a press. Davis, Durham, Fitzner, Moore, McBob, Green, Damezi, Phinissee, Morgan, etc have no business running a press.

Can you imagine Davis, Moore, Fitzner, etc in the back of a press. That’s a disaster.
Now you're making up crap about me being owned?

Which kind of press? Man2man? Zone? A 1,2,1,1? 3/4? 1,2,2? 1.3,1? 2,2,1? Where are they trapping? Corners? Sidelines? Half-court? Denying the inbound? Which defense are they transitioning into in half court?

lol .. You're a joke ... the Tom Crean of posters. < that's not a insult, it's an observation.

Reactions: Cutter1973
Morgan, Smith, Hunter, Romeo, and Green could definitely press. But that's not Archies style.

Don’t think that is the best option other than circumstantial.

Hey cutter1973. Eat a big schlong and die. Everyone knows no sorority chicks ever went for your crowd.
Can’t figure out if you are 12 years old or elderly and mentally unstable and forgot to take your meds. Either way I hope your guardian takes away your internet access.

Teaching becomes exponential yearly. Last year only the coaching staff itself knew the scheme. This year we have upperclassmen and managers who have a years experience with it, who will also help teach. Next year we'll have even more and players who have two years. Players teach as much as coaches do, last year we didn't have that option. .

I get that. I think the quality of our defense will depend on how many freshman we have to rely on. I know some of the Nostradomases already know how many freshman will play and how many minutes...but I would rather see them play. The freshman who have to learn two whole new gears on defense, along with an unfamiliar scheme might struggle to pick it up early. I don't know if the transfer kid has ever played a packline either. If we have 2 or 3 or 4 newcomers playing significant minutes, our defense may still be a work in progress. Hopefully not.

It's kind of weird, because it seems like this season has a really wide margin of potential outcomes. I think Morgan has been hurt every season at some point. Gotta have him healthy and grinding every game. Langford should be good, but is he Eric Gordon as a freshman good, or just James Blackmon as a freshman good? Will Deron Davis play and be effective? Are we getting good Devonte, or bad Devonte this year? I'm optimistic, but I'd like to see them actually play first...

Bottom line is that you are correct. I think you can run it effectively with lesser size (Green for example) but I agree it is unlikely to be a staple scheme.

I agree IU won’t press much. IU isn’t deep, long, or athletic? Hmmm...
To press regularly? No, we’re not imo. There’s a reason only a handful of teams press. It takes a special group of athletes to do it. We don’t have that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT