ADVERTISEMENT

14-6 in the B1G

That is my prediction for the 23-24 Hoosiers. I believe that will be good enough for 2nd place in the big and a comfortable 5-6 seed in the tourney. I expect a hot start, and 5-1 or 6-0 entering the matchup against PU. Obviously, the one caveat is our core stays healthy. But hell, we are due right?

With X returning against Nebraska we will get a needed jolt at the guard position, both offensively and defensively. He is the head of the snake on this team, and we go as he goes. With him we have a very high ceiling, lets hope he stays healthy when he gets back on the court Wednesday.

This team is gushing with talent, and we have seen bursts now from all three of our front court studs. They are getting better and better, and man is it fun to watch. Mack hit 4 threes in about 8 minutes last game, that shot is the truth!

2024 Hoosiers are gonna stay healthy, say it with me now!!!
What are the chances of X getting some minutes tomorrow?

We need him badly

That is my prediction for the 23-24 Hoosiers. I believe that will be good enough for 2nd place in the big and a comfortable 5-6 seed in the tourney. I expect a hot start, and 5-1 or 6-0 entering the matchup against PU. Obviously, the one caveat is our core stays healthy. But hell, we are due right?

With X returning against Nebraska we will get a needed jolt at the guard position, both offensively and defensively. He is the head of the snake on this team, and we go as he goes. With him we have a very high ceiling, lets hope he stays healthy when he gets back on the court Wednesday.

This team is gushing with talent, and we have seen bursts now from all three of our front court studs. They are getting better and better, and man is it fun to watch. Mack hit 4 threes in about 8 minutes last game, that shot is the truth!

Is this one of your "Tamar Bates" predictions... or do you know something that we haven't seen yet?

Of the seven you penciled in as victories, Massey has IU favored in four! IU has a 41% chance to win at Rutgers and at Penn St.. Iowa is slightly favored at IU, Iowa does have IU's number! Of the 7 toss-up games, IU is only favored in two, Northwestern and Wisconsin, both of those teams have had pretty good success against IU! If I remember, Minnesota led IU at the barn almost the whole game last year before losing to IU bye 4, Minny looks a lot better this year!
Who gives a shit? Massey also said Maryland and Michigan were supposed to beat IU. Neither did.

What percent chance did Massey give FDU against Purdue?

Last edited:
Of the seven you penciled in as victories, Massey has IU favored in four! IU has a 41% chance to win at Rutgers and at Penn St.. Iowa is slightly favored at IU, Iowa does have IU's number! Of the 7 toss-up games, IU is only favored in two, Northwestern and Wisconsin, both of those teams have had pretty good success against IU! If I remember, Minnesota led IU at the barn almost the whole game last year before losing to IU bye 4, Minny looks a lot better this year!
Odds don't mean a lot at this stage.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier

Your credibility is awful and no matter how much I’d like you be correct for once, this won’t be the time.

Reactions: bailey777
I know you are high on X, but he has not looked like a player who dramatically elevates our team this or last season in games he played. It’s also concerning that with all the new pieces, he’s missed so much time to develop in the offense with the rest of the team.

I will say we need his offense and he needs to get to the rim. We don’t get that with cupps. Our defense as a team leaves a lot to be desired. He can help there for sure. But as a collective unit, it’s really poor. The scheme is not good. No doubt we get better with X and I felt that 14 wins was a strong possibility when I looked at the schedule a few weeks ago. I am aboard the train but very cautiously optimistic. Let’s go!
That’s my biggest concern - guards not getting in the paint to distribute, finish, or hit a floater. X can help there potentially. TG has improved a lot in paint touches the last few games. Cupps has a long long way to go. CJ doesn’t know where the paint is right now.
All of the guards should be required to study 20 hours of Tyrese Haliburton video. He is the best in the world right now at penetrating and distributing. They obviously can’t do it like him - nobody does. But they could see how impactful those paint touches can be.

That’s my biggest concern - guards not getting in the paint to distribute, finish, or hit a floater. X can help there potentially. TG has improved a lot in paint touches the last few games. Cupps has a long long way to go. CJ doesn’t know where the paint is right now.
All of the guards should be required to study 20 hours of Tyrese Haliburton video. He is the best in the world right now at penetrating and distributing. They obviously can’t do it like him - nobody does. But they could see how impactful those paint touches can be.
Yep. This is what we're missing out of the guard position. TG gives us some creativity and penetration, but honestly Cupps gives us virtually nothing. I mean, he generally doesn't turn the ball over, which is great, but he doesn't give us anything else either. He generally does ok on D, but he doesn't seem to be very creative on offensive, which I've actually been kind of disappointed in, and while he doesn't turn the ball over much, he also doesn't set others up for baskets either. And he obviously hasn't found his shot at all either.

If X can come in and not be "Bad X," it would be great to have 2 guards who can penetrate and set up the other 3 players. And if he can hit an occasional three and a consistent 15 footer, now we'll be cookin' with gas.

The B1G is really bad this year. I was fairly negative earlier in the year, and I didn't come out of the KSU game feeling as positive as some, but getting X back, and hopefully Ware too, this team might just be OK. Lots of wins to be had in this conference this year.

Reactions: IUbball_lifer
After squeaking by South Alabama and giving up 87 to Kennesaw St. I'm not sure this team can win more than a handful of games in the Big Ten, unless the Big Ten is just that bad this year.

Until these guys commit to playing some serious defense they will struggle to beat about anyone.

A .500 big ten season seems about right at this point. Maybe they'll all improve including Woodson and surprise us.

After squeaking by South Alabama and giving up 87 to Kennesaw St. I'm not sure this team can win more than a handful of games in the Big Ten, unless the Big Ten is just that bad this year.

Until these guys commit to playing some serious defense they will struggle to beat about anyone.

A .500 big ten season seems about right at this point. Maybe they'll all improve including Woodson and surprise us.

They have been improving since the first game. Why would that stop?

I'm more worried about winning outside the conference at this point than inside of it. I think this team is pretty well constructed to win inside the conference, especially now that MM has seemingly found his shot.

There aren't a lot of little teams that are going to shoot 30 threes a game in this conference. It's kind of like football - it's a physical conference. IU has a tall and deep front line and is well-suited for B1G play. It's ready for conference play in that regard. The only thing that would really hurt this team is if there is another backcourt injury. That would be pretty much fatal at this point.

Perhaps I'm being too positive, but have you watched any of the non-conference games of the other teams in the league? Illinois w/o Shannon isn't going to be great. Wisky is Wisky. Purdue is better this year and will win the conference. MSU is going to be very good. They started out rough but Izzo has them playing well now, so what's new?

I don't understand the doom and gloom of some around here. Yes, IU is young. Yes they will lose a few they should win. But the league is weak, the team is talented and is getting better and hopefully will peak at the right time. I think 10 wins is a given in the league with 2 already in the books and 12 is possible.

Reactions: asindc
TG is actually doing well right now if he’s run off zoom action. He was unstoppable against KU. You will see that against teams in the B1G more because of the style of play. If Gunn could be consistent he’s a zoom guy too.

Reactions: Beorik
we need Iowa and Maryland to win tonight. i can't decide which team winning would be more beneficial between Northwestern and Illinois.

We need to win our home games , and steal a few on the road . See how we do tomorrow , and then see what all the experts have to say then . My non expert prediction for tomorrow is a Hoosier win .

We need to win our home games , and steal a few on the road . See how we do tomorrow , and then see what all the experts have to say then . My non expert prediction for tomorrow is a Hoosier win .
Man are away games ever important.

No true for faith as there is plenty of ligic and reasoning (read Cade for Christ by atheist Lee Strobel) but spot on for sports and is why the games are played.

atheists are fools.

there is no way anybody knows for certain there is no supreme being.

it's the most arrogant thing going.

the only thing i give the atheists credit for: they don't profit off of their belief.

atheists are fools.

there is no way anybody knows for certain there is no supreme being.

it's the most arrogant thing going.

the only thing i give the atheists credit for: they don't profit off of their belief.
So according to your logic. Believers in a supreme being who are certain of their god are also fools. Because there is no evidence that a supreme being exists.

Shit. I said we would make the tourney Woodys first year, and finish in the top 4 last year. What kiss of death you got on me besides tamar, and I wouldn’t be clocking out on him just yet. For the record, I said he would get drafted and score more points in the NBA than romeo. That ship has yet to sail my friend.

*COUGH*

Looks like about 10-10 to me at this point. No tourney.
Prove me wrong.

This team is making the tournament. Way too much talent on the floor. It would be a huge let down if they did not and likely time for Woody to start feeling some heat.

Reactions: .Gerdis

Saw this tonight in twitter. Providing an opposing view. If this were to happen, it’s Armageddon on this board.

Shit. I said we would make the tourney Woodys first year, and finish in the top 4 last year. What kiss of death you got on me besides tamar, and I wouldn’t be clocking out on him just yet. For the record, I said he would get drafted and score more points in the NBA than romeo. That ship has yet to sail my friend.
Tamar is not going to get close to sniffing the NBA. He lacks NBA athleticism, defensive ability, and handles to get drafted. 🤦‍♂️

Saw this tonight in twitter. Providing an opposing view. If this were to happen, it’s Armageddon on this board.

I predict 4-4. No clue which 4. We're inconsistent enough its impossible to predict. But we're resilient enough that I don't think we'll slide as much as KenPom's predictors think. Which, by the way, aren't often reliable until teams have been through their conference for a bit more than IU has, at this point.

I'd say the game at Wisconsin and the home game against Minny would be the two that I'd have any sort of confidence betting on.

Tamar is not going to get close to sniffing the NBA. He lacks NBA athleticism, defensive ability, and handles to get drafted. 🤦‍♂️
Would have loved to hear your take on Duncan Robinson at this point in his career. Miller Kopp got a shot at the G league....

Would have loved to hear your take on Duncan Robinson at this point in his career. Miller Kopp got a shot at the G league....
MM is stating to play like Kopp was supposed to play. When he has a open 3 it’s going up and now hitting at good percentage.

I predict 4-4. No clue which 4. We're inconsistent enough its impossible to predict. But we're resilient enough that I don't think we'll slide as much as KenPom's predictors think. Which, by the way, aren't often reliable until teams have been through their conference for a bit more than IU has, at this point.

I'd say the game at Wisconsin and the home game against Minny would be the two that I'd have any sort of confidence betting on.
Call me crazy, but if we win at Nebraska tonight...I don't see any reason why we can't win the next 3 and set up a showdown against Purdue with a chance to (at least) go 2 games up in the win column. Easier said than done but if Nebby's big man can't go tonight Ware/Reneau should dominate at the rim.

Call me crazy, but if we win at Nebraska tonight...I don't see any reason why we can't win the next 3 and set up a showdown against Purdue with a chance to (at least) go 2 games up in the win column. Easier said than done but if Nebby's big man can't go tonight Ware/Reneau should dominate at the rim.
Lots of possibilities with this team, going in either direction. I hope it goes how you've laid out. That PU game will be even more electric than the Kansas game was, if so.

Very winnable game. Road wins are a premium(of course). Just can’t let them go off from 3. As a team they are under 33%. Just need to stay in the efficiency column and rebound. I’m fine with them taking threes as long as our guys rebound. Hit free throws and limit turnovers.

Very winnable game. Road wins are a premium(of course). Just can’t let them go off from 3. As a team they are under 33%. Just need to stay in the efficiency column and rebound. I’m fine with them taking threes as long as our guys rebound. Hit free throws and limit turnovers.
How many games in the last 2+ years have we gone in saying..."as long as they don't go off from the 3"...only have them go off from the 3?

I'm assuming they're going to shoot, and make, a lot of 3's tonight. Will we be able to overcome that, is what I'm wondering. Reneau and Ware can dominate this game. And if they do, and Mack continues his solid play, we can overcome 15 or so 3s.

With an 8 pm local start, it being a weekday and school out, what type of crowd would one expect tonight? I do not see a packed house, or a raucous environment. I wouldn’t be surprised to see some of the red as being IU fans.

With an 8 pm local start, it being a weekday and school out, what type of crowd would one expect tonight? I do not see a packed house, or a raucous environment. I wouldn’t be surprised to see some of the red as being IU fans.
The stars are aligned for a W.

Pretty sure Nebraska routinely packs their arena for most sporting events. And this team is showing the most promise of any Nebraska team in recent memory. Not having the students might limit the overall energy in the building, but I'd be surprised if it isn't packed.

I agree. I see no reason why IU should not be contending for a conference title. The only thing I see right now is they don’t always look comfortable playing together or in the system.

I agree. I see no reason why IU should not be contending for a conference title. The only thing I see right now is they don’t always look comfortable playing together or in the system.
Realistically, IU hasn't been good enough defensively to compete for a B10 title this year. They've shown some flashes of solid defensive play...but they're not consistent enough with that to win enough games to contend for a title, in my opinion. And I can't realistically see them finding that consistency. The B10 might be "down", but there are enough teams that will exploit bad defensive performances, that we'll lose too many games because of it. Iowa isn't a great team, but they've proven to be a tough matchup for us because of their ability to shoot the ball. We don't sweep Iowa if we play them twice because of that. Purdue and Illinois are both really good offensive teams right now. Wisconsin is too solid for us to sweep. MSU has Walker and other proven guards. Northwestern with Bouie and company will be a tough matchup. Nebraska tonight has shooters. In order to win the B10, you have to "sweep" most teams. Can't see this team sweeping many B10 teams this year.

A healthy and good Xavier Johnson greatly effects that specific question mark, likely in a good way. But we've seen even with X playing, we're susceptible to very, very poor defensive performances.

Healthy X, I think we win more games than we lose in the B10, but can't see us contending for a title.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT