ADVERTISEMENT

14-6 in the B1G

Cavanagh

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2012
That is my prediction for the 23-24 Hoosiers. I believe that will be good enough for 2nd place in the big and a comfortable 5-6 seed in the tourney. I expect a hot start, and 5-1 or 6-0 entering the matchup against PU. Obviously, the one caveat is our core stays healthy. But hell, we are due right?

With X returning against Nebraska we will get a needed jolt at the guard position, both offensively and defensively. He is the head of the snake on this team, and we go as he goes. With him we have a very high ceiling, lets hope he stays healthy when he gets back on the court Wednesday.

This team is gushing with talent, and we have seen bursts now from all three of our front court studs. They are getting better and better, and man is it fun to watch. Mack hit 4 threes in about 8 minutes last game, that shot is the truth!

2024 Hoosiers are gonna stay healthy, say it with me now!!!

That is my prediction for the 23-24 Hoosiers. I believe that will be good enough for 2nd place in the big and a comfortable 5-6 seed in the tourney. I expect a hot start, and 5-1 or 6-0 entering the matchup against PU. Obviously, the one caveat is our core stays healthy. But hell, we are due right?

With X returning against Nebraska we will get a needed jolt at the guard position, both offensively and defensively. He is the head of the snake on this team, and we go as he goes. With him we have a very high ceiling, lets hope he stays healthy when he gets back on the court Wednesday.

This team is gushing with talent, and we have seen bursts now from all three of our front court studs. They are getting better and better, and man is it fun to watch. Mack hit 4 threes in about 8 minutes last game, that shot is the truth!

Massey and ESPN has IU at 8-12 in the BT.

Looks like about 10-10 to me at this point. No tourney.
Prove me wrong.

If he is to be the head of the snake, he has to do better getting guys the ball. His A/T was not great this year. I’m guessing without TJD and the influx of new guys, there was a learning curve.
We need him. We need him to hit the open man, knock down the open shot, get past his defender and break their perimeter D, while also playing good defense himself. He’s capable.

Reactions: Cavanagh

What have you seen so far to give you this prediction?

What have you seen so far to give you this prediction?
Predictions in sports are based on a thing called guessing. It's like religion, it's not based in reasoning or logic, it's nothing but a leap of faith. Doesn't matter how much you know, a monkey can probably equal your record by flinging shit against a wall ..

None of you are prescient .. stop trying to be.

Predictions in sports are based on a thing called guessing. It's like religion, it's not based in reasoning or logic, it's nothing but a leap of faith. Doesn't matter how much you know, a monkey can probably equal your record by flinging shit against a wall ..

Unless of course.... you are the nostradumbass

If he is to be the head of the snake, he has to do better getting guys the ball. His A/T was not great this year. I’m guessing without TJD and the influx of new guys, there was a learning curve.
We need him. We need him to hit the open man, knock down the open shot, get past his defender and break their perimeter D, while also playing good defense himself. He’s capable.
He was averaging 5 assists vs 2 t/o’s while the team was just learning to play together. Our current pg is averaging 1.5 assists to 1 turnover with a team shooting much better.
X will be a huge improvement at the pg spot - more assists, more points, a lot better on D

He was averaging 5 assists vs 2 t/o’s while the team was just learning to play together. Our current pg is averaging 1.5 assists to 1 turnover with a team shooting much better.
X will be a huge improvement at the pg spot - more assists, more points, a lot better on D
No, he wasn’t. He should be right around there though, which was about where he was last year. Cupps has a better a/t than X this year.

It’s going to be like he has a grenade in his foot. One crooked step and his season is over.

Maybe IU can have some injury luck this year and he makes it through rest of the season.

Reactions: aajohn2000

I know you are high on X, but he has not looked like a player who dramatically elevates our team this or last season in games he played. It’s also concerning that with all the new pieces, he’s missed so much time to develop in the offense with the rest of the team.

I will say we need his offense and he needs to get to the rim. We don’t get that with cupps. Our defense as a team leaves a lot to be desired. He can help there for sure. But as a collective unit, it’s really poor. The scheme is not good. No doubt we get better with X and I felt that 14 wins was a strong possibility when I looked at the schedule a few weeks ago. I am aboard the train but very cautiously optimistic. Let’s go!

No true for faith as there is plenty of ligic and reasoning (read Cade for Christ by atheist Lee Strobel) but spot on for sports and is why the games are played.

I agree, well above 500 if no major injuries but a 6 seed in the tourney will likely have a very tough first game. If today a 6 seed would be looking at a Texas/Memphis/Florida type opponent.

Usually tourney time when the realization hits that the Big10 was overrated but this year hard not to conclude mostly average teams that we should beat.

Last edited:
I know you are high on X, but he has not looked like a player who dramatically elevates our team this or last season in games he played. It’s also concerning that with all the new pieces, he’s missed so much time to develop in the offense with the rest of the team.

I will say we need his offense and he needs to get to the rim. We don’t get that with cupps. Our defense as a team leaves a lot to be desired. He can help there for sure. But as a collective unit, it’s really poor. The scheme is not good. No doubt we get better with X and I felt that 14 wins was a strong possibility when I looked at the schedule a few weeks ago. I am aboard the train but very cautiously optimistic. Let’s go!
I have nothing against Xavier Johnson, but how some speak of him and what he normally delivers are often different things. He’s an ok power 5 guard, with smatters of really good play, but that’s not him night in and night out. Couple that with the fact he struggles to stay healthy. If he was as good as some think him to be he wouldn’t still be in college at 25.

I have nothing against Xavier Johnson, but how some speak of him and what he normally delivers are often different things. He’s an ok power 5 guard, with smatters of really good play, but that’s not him night in and night out. Couple that with the fact he struggles to stay healthy. If he was as good as some think him to be he wouldn’t still be in college at 25.
I agree overall but when you compare him to a player averaging 2.8 ppg and shooting 35% from the field with 1.5 assists per game and can get muscled by the player he is guarding, then his relative value is far higher than his absolute value.

I agree overall but when you compare him to a player averaging 2.8 ppg and shooting 35% from the field with 1.5 assists per game and can get muscled by the player he is guarding, then his relative value is far higher than his absolute value.
Oh definitely agree he is a much better option than Cupps. But getting him back doesn’t make this a no doubt tournament team IMO.

Reactions: CriticArisen

I'll settle for a W @ NB.

Kiss of death..

• Haha
Reactions: kkott
Kiss of death..
Shit. I said we would make the tourney Woodys first year, and finish in the top 4 last year. What kiss of death you got on me besides tamar, and I wouldn’t be clocking out on him just yet. For the record, I said he would get drafted and score more points in the NBA than romeo. That ship has yet to sail my friend.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
There are a couple difficulties evaluating X and what his impact to this team will be.

1. When you look at longer stretches of play, historically, from X...you can evaluate him as a 12 and 5, good defender, aggressive leader, etc... The problem with that is game by game, outside an extended incredible finish to the 2021--22 season, he's been pretty inconsistent game by game. We need a solidifying, consistent presence. THAT would make this team a team that could compete at the top of the conference this year. If we get a plus on the ball defender, and a guy that's efficiently running the offense and getting Mgbako, Reneau, and Ware the ball in the right places, night in and night out...I think we contend at the top. But if we get a couple games of that, bracketed with a couple games where he's more out of control, overdribbling, in foul trouble because he's not playing disciplined defense on the ball, etc... We'll continue to be inconsistent...and possibly worse, it'll actually stunt the growth of guys like Mack, Malik, Gabe, etc... because when X plays, he has the ball in his hands A LOT.

2. Is he gonna be healthy the rest of the year? Are we going to get him for 3-4 games here and there, but miss him for 2-3 periodically. The biggest thing this team needs is consistency. If X is in and out of the lineup due to his foot, it'll make it very difficult to achieve any sort of good, consistent, play.

If we get the end of 2021-22 X for the rest of the season...I'd say we win 13-15 conference games, and more importantly, will be poised to make some noise in March.

If we can just get him healthy, and consistently defending and playing solid offensively, for the rest of the season...think 9 and 4 type numbers...2:1 assist tot turnover...etc... I think we're above .500, and will make the NCAA, and again, could win some games in March.

If we get inconsistency out of him, and/or if he's just not consistently available to play...I think we'll struggle to make the NCAAs. And even if we do, we'll see performances similar to the last couple years in March, and we'll get bounced early because of it.

I do not see it unless X is fully healthy and remains healthy. I see more like 10-10.

Based off of what I have seen, you've got seven games that you can theoretically pencil in a win:
@Rut, 2xMinn, 2xPSU, Neb (H), Iowa

Then you've got seven games that I would put as toss-ups:
@Neb, OSU (H), PU (H), NW, Wis (H), MSU, @Mary

Then you've got four games that I would put at about 25% to win:
@Wis, @Ill, @OSU, @PU

So, optimistically, I'd say 6+4+1 plus the existing 2 wins, puts the team at 14-6.
Pessimistically, I'd say 5+3+0 (+existing 2) for 10-10.

10-10 wont cut it to make it into the dance unless 2 or 3 of those wins are against Ill / PU. 14-6 would be safely in.

If it ends up being somewhere in the middle (12-8, 20-11), then it's really going to depend on which games were wins.

Getting all 7 of the first group and @Neb, NW, @Mary gets them to 12 wins, but would end up having ZERO wins against a top 50 (Kenpom) team as things stand today. That would likely still not be a tournament-worthy resume. From there, you'd probably need at least two wins in the BTT to not be sweating it out on selection Sunday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fansince72
Very favorable schedule, only one tough 3+ game stretch that just became much more manageable with the Terrence Shannon news, and the fact the B10 just isn't very good this year. 14-6 might be a little too optimistic but no reason this team shouldn't win 12-13 B10 games.
Hope you are correct. We have just been ok vs a very weak schedule so far. Road games in the BIG are always an adventure. I honestly think we could go either way. Be below .500 in conference or be number 2

Based off of what I have seen, you've got seven games that you can theoretically pencil in a win:

@Wis, @Ill, @OSU, @PU

So, optimistically, I'd say 6+4+1 plus the existing 2 wins, puts the team at 14-6.

10-10 wont cut it to make it into the dance unless 2 or 3 of those wins are against Ill / PU. 14-6 would be safely in.

If it ends up being somewhere in the middle (12-8, 20-11), then it's really going to depend on which games were wins.

Getting all 7 of the first group and @Neb, NW, @Mary gets them to 12 wins, but would end up having ZERO wins against a top 50 (Kenpom) team as things stand today. That would likely still not be a tournament-worthy resume. From there, you'd probably need at least two wins in the BTT to not be sweating it out on selection Sunday.
Of the seven you penciled in as victories, Massey has IU favored in four! IU has a 41% chance to win at Rutgers and at Penn St.. Iowa is slightly favored at IU, Iowa does have IU's number! Of the 7 toss-up games, IU is only favored in two, Northwestern and Wisconsin, both of those teams have had pretty good success against IU! If I remember, Minnesota led IU at the barn almost the whole game last year before losing to IU bye 4, Minny looks a lot better this year!

@Wis, @Ill, @OSU, @PU

Any game can be a loss, if you are looking past it or taking it for granted. Woodson will prepare for and coach them one game at a time.

Reactions: MrBing
Of the seven you penciled in as victories, Massey has IU favored in four! IU has a 41% chance to win at Rutgers and at Penn St.. Iowa is slightly favored at IU, Iowa does have IU's number! Of the 7 toss-up games, IU is only favored in two, Northwestern and Wisconsin, both of those teams have had pretty good success against IU! If I remember, Minnesota led IU at the barn almost the whole game last year before losing to IU bye 4, Minny looks a lot better this year!
A) This is based on the assumption that X's return will make the team better.
B) Even then under the "optimistic" scenario, I doubt they win all seven of the first group and predicted as such.
C) Previous year's results are previous years. All teams have changed since then. I am basing this on the eye test of how I have seen these teams play. Quite frankly, the league is down from last year.
D) Computer models predict results, and yet they still play the games. The odds of winning both Purdue games last year, if I had to guess, would probably have been in the <10% chance, and yet here we are....

Will this fit on a banner in your trailer?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT