ADVERTISEMENT

14-6 in the B1G

Realistically, IU hasn't been good enough defensively to compete for a B10 title this year. They've shown some flashes of solid defensive play...but they're not consistent enough with that to win enough games to contend for a title, in my opinion. And I can't realistically see them finding that consistency. The B10 might be "down", but there are enough teams that will exploit bad defensive performances, that we'll lose too many games because of it. Iowa isn't a great team, but they've proven to be a tough matchup for us because of their ability to shoot the ball. We don't sweep Iowa if we play them twice because of that. Purdue and Illinois are both really good offensive teams right now. Wisconsin is too solid for us to sweep. MSU has Walker and other proven guards. Northwestern with Bouie and company will be a tough matchup. Nebraska tonight has shooters. In order to win the B10, you have to "sweep" most teams. Can't see this team sweeping many B10 teams this year.

A healthy and good Xavier Johnson greatly effects that specific question mark, likely in a good way. But we've seen even with X playing, we're susceptible to very, very poor defensive performances.

Healthy X, I think we win more games than we lose in the B10, but can't see us contending for a title.
That’s all well and good - but there’s enough talent on that team to fix all of it.

Just win tonite , and worry about the rest of the season after that . As soon as tonites game is over , then your only concern is the next game . Which is home Saturday vs OSU .
If you are a player! Shit, we are fans. people make careers on projections.

That is my prediction for the 23-24 Hoosiers. I believe that will be good enough for 2nd place in the big and a comfortable 5-6 seed in the tourney. I expect a hot start, and 5-1 or 6-0 entering the matchup against PU. Obviously, the one caveat is our core stays healthy. But hell, we are due right?

With X returning against Nebraska we will get a needed jolt at the guard position, both offensively and defensively. He is the head of the snake on this team, and we go as he goes. With him we have a very high ceiling, lets hope he stays healthy when he gets back on the court Wednesday.

This team is gushing with talent, and we have seen bursts now from all three of our front court studs. They are getting better and better, and man is it fun to watch. Mack hit 4 threes in about 8 minutes last game, that shot is the truth!

2024 Hoosiers are gonna stay healthy, say it with me now!!!
I don't see a team gushing with talent at all. You seriously think they will win 14 games?

He was averaging 5 assists vs 2 t/o’s while the team was just learning to play together. Our current pg is averaging 1.5 assists to 1 turnover with a team shooting much better.
X will be a huge improvement at the pg spot - more assists, more points, a lot better on D
X was averaging 2.3a to 1.7t (1.3a/t) before this game. Cupps at 1.5 a/t.

• Sad
Reactions: BigMobe
That’s all well and good - but there’s enough talent on that team to fix all of it.
Disregard.
I don't see a team gushing with talent at all. You seriously think they will win 14 games?
I’ve mis-evaluated this IU team. They really aren’t very good. Mostly, they don’t play with any passion.

That is my prediction for the 23-24 Hoosiers. I believe that will be good enough for 2nd place in the big and a comfortable 5-6 seed in the tourney. I expect a hot start, and 5-1 or 6-0 entering the matchup against PU. Obviously, the one caveat is our core stays healthy. But hell, we are due right?

With X returning against Nebraska we will get a needed jolt at the guard position, both offensively and defensively. He is the head of the snake on this team, and we go as he goes. With him we have a very high ceiling, lets hope he stays healthy when he gets back on the court Wednesday.

This team is gushing with talent, and we have seen bursts now from all three of our front court studs. They are getting better and better, and man is it fun to watch. Mack hit 4 threes in about 8 minutes last game, that shot is the truth!

2024 Hoosiers are gonna stay healthy, say it with me now!!!

Maybe 13-7 lol.

Shit. I said we would make the tourney Woodys first year, and finish in the top 4 last year. What kiss of death you got on me besides tamar, and I wouldn’t be clocking out on him just yet. For the record, I said he would get drafted and score more points in the NBA than romeo. That ship has yet to sail my friend.
i seem to remember you slobbin all over Landers knob as well.

Reactions: bailey777
i seem to remember you slobbin all over Landers knob as well.
Before I saw him play I was pumped we got him like everyone else. I saw him play and changed my tune quickly. I actually state often that the miss on Lander shows how shitty the Fatjohns of the world are. I slobbered for Tamar, that was it.

Before I saw him play I was pumped we got him like everyone else. I saw him play and changed my tune quickly. I actually state often that the miss on Lander shows how shitty the Fatjohns of the world are. I slobbered for Tamar, that was it.
To be fair to Cav, I think we all were pretty excited when we got Lander.

Reactions: Cavanagh
We need to win our home games , and steal a few on the road . See how we do tomorrow , and then see what all the experts have to say then . My non expert prediction for tomorrow is a Hoosier win .
well I sure missed that one . Seemed like every time we looked like we might be making a little run to get back in the game , that we would miss a couple of close in shots , and then Tominaga would hit a 3. Time to get ready for OSU , and let’s hope the home crowd gets us over the hump .

Last edited:
After squeaking by South Alabama and giving up 87 to Kennesaw St. I'm not sure this team can win more than a handful of games in the Big Ten, unless the Big Ten is just that bad this year.

Until these guys commit to playing some serious defense they will struggle to beat about anyone.

A .500 big ten season seems about right at this point. Maybe they'll all improve including Woodson and surprise us.
We better win the next three cause after that it is:

Purdue
Wisconsin
at Illinois

Reactions: BigMobe
At the 3,4 & 5 spot they have a ton of talent. If X can play like he did 2 years ago, then you have a team with even more, but they’re missing that 2 who can drain 3’s and get a bucket when needed by taking his man off the dribble (JHS type). Right now though, X is playing below average and Galloway isn’t THAT guy. If Woody could’ve gotten Dalton Knecht and X was playing great we’d have the roster to win the B1G. That’s of course if you think Woodson can coach.

How good is Ohio State. They're the one B1G I've not seen play this year so far.

Better/worse than Nebraska?
Better. We have no answer for Thorton. IU could win, it's a t home. But do not be surprising OSU not only wins, but wins comfortable. They can really shoot the 3 ball as well. This is a very bad matchup.

Reactions: FormerRevMatt
Better. We have no answer for Thorton. IU could win, it's a t home. But do not be surprising OSU not only wins, but wins comfortable. They can really shoot the 3 ball as well. This is a very bad matchup.
Battle will probably light us up from three. We got nobody who can guard him.

Was trying to think of this earlier today (kinda in conjunction with the "is the big ten down" question being discussed in another thread).

Which teams are better / worse than last year?

If I had to guess right now:

Better:
OSU - maybe. OSU was 10-3 this time last year, but then absolutely fell apart in BT play.
Nebraska
Wisconsin - maybe (similar to OSU, they were 11-2 / 3-0 last year at this time, then kinda fell apart)
Illinois
Minnesota (though they were horrid last year, so "improve" is a relative statement)

Same:
PU (maybe slightly better)
NW (10-3 and 1-1 at this same time last year. And bear in mind they were 2nd last year).
Maryland (was 10-5, 1-3 at this time last year, need to see more, might be worse)

Worse: (Don't think any of these are really debatable)
Michigan
MSU
PSU
Iowa
Rutgers
IU

So maybe the BT isn't down that much, it's just that different teams (MSU, Mich, IU, Iowa) which have been solid teams the past few years are down and that is bringing the perception down.

Was trying to think of this earlier today (kinda in conjunction with the "is the big ten down" question being discussed in another thread).

Which teams are better / worse than last year?

If I had to guess right now:

Better:
OSU - maybe. OSU was 10-3 this time last year, but then absolutely fell apart in BT play.
Nebraska
Wisconsin - maybe (similar to OSU, they were 11-2 / 3-0 last year at this time, then kinda fell apart)
Illinois
Minnesota (though they were horrid last year, so "improve" is a relative statement)

Same:
PU (maybe slightly better)
NW (10-3 and 1-1 at this same time last year. And bear in mind they were 2nd last year).
Maryland (was 10-5, 1-3 at this time last year, need to see more, might be worse)

Worse: (Don't think any of these are really debatable)
Michigan
MSU
PSU
Iowa
Rutgers
IU

So maybe the BT isn't down that much, it's just that different teams (MSU, Mich, IU, Iowa) which have been solid teams the past few years are down and that is bringing the perception down.
Purdue is better this year.

Purdue is better this year.
More of a review based upon record at this time last year. Last year at this time, Purdue was also 13-1 and 2-1.

Now, it is a valid statement to say that their OOC wins this year are better than last years (Marquette, Duke, WVU, Gonzaga), but we wont really know that for sure until the end of the season. (For example, the Duke win was huge at the time, but in the end, the Marquette win was probably their best win of the season. Arizona, as of now, is their best win, but Arizona just got boat raced by Stanford and may end up a fringe top 25 team by the end of the season, we wont know till March).

Even then though, it's more of a question of relativity. They were a top 5 team most of last year and are a top 3 team this year at this point in time (AP 1, KP 2, NET 3). So yes, even if they are better, it is really only slightly better. Not trying to be insulting, they absolutely deserve their #1 spot right now, but they pretty much deserved their spot at #1 at this time last year also.

The eye test says yes they are better, but they dominated the Big Ten last year (won by 3 games), and I expect them to do the same this year. So if they are better, there's not alot of room to be "better" achievement-wise.

Don't know if that makes sense or not.

More of a review based upon record at this time last year. Last year at this time, Purdue was also 13-1 and 2-1.

Now, it is a valid statement to say that their OOC wins this year are better than last years (Marquette, Duke, WVU, Gonzaga), but we wont really know that for sure until the end of the season. (For example, the Duke win was huge at the time, but in the end, the Marquette win was probably their best win of the season. Arizona, as of now, is their best win, but Arizona just got boat raced by Stanford and may end up a fringe top 25 team by the end of the season, we wont know till March).

Even then though, it's more of a question of relativity. They were a top 5 team most of last year and are a top 3 team this year at this point in time (AP 1, KP 2, NET 3). So yes, even if they are better, it is really only slightly better. Not trying to be insulting, they absolutely deserve their #1 spot right now, but they pretty much deserved their spot at #1 at this time last year also.

The eye test says yes they are better, but they dominated the Big Ten last year (won by 3 games), and I expect them to do the same this year. So if they are better, there's not alot of room to be "better" achievement-wise.

Don't know if that makes sense or not.
Their non-conference victories this year have been impressive by any standard. It's easy to try to pick at them due to the fact that they're IU's rival, but they've beaten a pretty good schedule.

And yes, I'm partially basing it on the eye test too. And also on roster additions too. And player development.

Lance Jones was a good addition as a transfer. He helps their backcourt immensely.

Their all-freshman backcourt is a year older and better this year. They're still at risk against very athletic backcourts, but Smith is better than last year. Loyer is shooting well.

This could very well be the year that they break through. We'll see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT