ADVERTISEMENT

Why is CJ Gunn on the floor at all?

Crossblock

Senior
Jan 8, 2019
I have been thinking about this for a while. Last night's performance was the tipping point. What does Gunn bring to this team when He is on the Floor? He can't shoot from outside, He doesn't handle the ball well, He isn't a point guard Who can direct and run an Offense, and He is constantly out of position on Defense and getting beat. From memory, He has had maybe two games this Year where He has made positive contributions. The best thing anyone can say is that He is quick and Athletic. However that doesn't make You a Basketball player or give You Game sense.
When I look down the bench. I see Anthony Leal sitting and not getting any playing time. He isn't overly Athletic, He isn't the best Defender in the World, but He can hit a shot now and then and understands how the Offense is run. Could We be any worse if We gave Him 10 to 15 Minutes per game? if not Leal, one of the walk ons couldn't be any worse.

I have been thinking about this for a while. Last night's performance was the tipping point. What does Gunn bring to this team when He is on the Floor? He can't shoot from outside, He doesn't handle the ball well, He isn't a point guard Who can direct and run an Offense, and He is constantly out of position on Defense and getting beat. From memory, He has had maybe two games this Year where He has made positive contributions. The best thing anyone can say is that He is quick and Athletic. However that doesn't make You a Basketball player or give You Game sense.
When I look down the bench. I see Anthony Leal sitting and not getting any playing time. He isn't overly Athletic, He isn't the best Defender in the World, but He can hit a shot now and then and understands how the Offense is run. Could We be any worse if We gave Him 10 to 15 Minutes per game? if not Leal, one of the walk ons couldn't be any worse.
Was Leal in street clothes yesterday?

I believe Gunn came in when x got his 4th?

He may well have addressed your question with the bonehead play last night, as he may not be getting PT for awhile. I've never liked his body language and think he gets himself too hyped and puts too much pressure on himself to score, but I disagree defensively. He does foul too much but he's our best perimeter defender when he's focused, imo. I still think there's a decent player in there somewhere, but I'm also fine if it's somewhere else at this point.

He may well have addressed your question with the bonehead play last night, as he may not be getting PT for awhile. I've never liked his body language and think he gets himself too hyped and puts too much pressure on himself to score, but I disagree defensively. He does foul too much but he's our best perimeter defender when he's focused, imo. I still think there's a decent player in there somewhere, but I'm also fine if it's somewhere else at this point.
He was all IU needed during the summer too. Such frustration! vbg

It wouldn't be worse, but it wouldn't be better. It would be an admission that the team is lost and the season is over and Woodson might as well quit now type of move ... we're going to have to wait and watch the whole bad movie

He can't shoot from outside,
Right, he's only shooting 47% from 3 in conference play. 15 attempts is probably not good enough but almost 2 per game for a reserve isn't that bad ... the 47% kinda makes your claim seem like pure bullshit though.

Get rid of the butthurt, pay better attention, control the urge to bleat, think, research, then post... equals you looking less foolish. Or not ... up to you.

We demand players get better .. well IU has become a better shooting team, not prolific enough but better and currently CJ has improved his shooting from the preseason when it was truly awful but y'all still bitch .. or just make shit up to justify your incessant whining.

If he regresses then bitch ...

Last edited:
Right, he's only shooting 47% from 3 in conference play. 15 attempts is probably not good enough but almost 2 per game for a reserve isn't that bad ... the 47% kinda makes your claim seem like pure bullshit though.

Get rid of the butthurt, pay better attention, control the urge to bleat, think, research, then post... equals you looking less foolish. Or not ... up to you.

We demand players get better .. well IU has become a better shooting team, not prolific enough but better and currently CJ has improved his shooting from the preseason when it was truly awful but y'all still bitch .. or just make shit up to justify your incessant whining.

If he regresses then bitch ...
well, wait, I was told it was significantly insignificant when he was like 2-24 last year... not enough shots. So, which is it? I see a good player in CJ at times, but it seems his head gets in the way quite a lot.

well, wait, I was told it was significantly insignificant when he was like 2-24 last year... not enough shots. So, which is it? I see a good player in CJ at times, but it seems his head gets in the way quite a lot.
Because he was playing end game or in short stints only last year while he's getting more run and longer stints this year. That was the gist of that argument .. I agree with Geez on that.

IIRC - not going to check - we have 5 guys over 37, 4 over 40 in conference play currently but none are prolific with Mack getting closer every week.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Because he was playing end game or in short stints only last year while he's getting more run and longer stints this year. That was the gist of that argument .. I agree with Geez on that.

IIRC - not going to check - we have 5 guys over 37, 4 over 40 in conference play currently but none are prolific with Mack getting closer every week.
Problem is, didn't one the announcers say during the Wisky game that IU was 12th in the league and only made 5 threes a game?

That's a problem in 2024, no matter how you look at it.

I will be shocked if Gunn and Banks are here next season. Best for them and IU to get fresh starts elsewhere.

Gunn should not play against Illinois. Not as a punishment, but because Brad Underwood teaches the same thing as Gard in ho to provoke immature players into doing something stupid. Underwood has seen X and CJ vulnerable and you can be sure that will be part of the scouting report.

In a group text with my friends I said some are talented enough to play college basketball, but not everyone is mature enough or in control of their emotions well enough to play at this level.

I feel I would channel the antics meant to provoke players into action on the court making me more determined to kick their ass. My jaw might clench, I might turn red, but the last thing I would do is fall into their trap. Use their words and actions against them.

I would be curious if CMW talks to his players about this. It doesn't seem like it with X and CJ's reactions.

Gunn should not play against Illinois. Not as a punishment, but because Brad Underwood teaches the same thing as Gard in ho to provoke immature players into doing something stupid. Underwood has seen X and CJ vulnerable and you can be sure that will be part of the scouting report.

In a group text with my friends I said some are talented enough to play college basketball, but not everyone is mature enough or in control of their emotions well enough to play at this level.

I feel I would channel the antics meant to provoke players into action on the court making me more determined to kick their ass. My jaw might clench, I might turn red, but the last thing I would do is fall into their trap. Use their words and actions against them.

I would be curious if CMW talks to his players about this. It doesn't seem like it with X and CJ's reactions.
Agree completely. Both of them took the bait and got rung up. X’s response to Edey was way worse than Gunn’s though. Had it not been for recent issues with this team, CJ might not even have been rung up.

Agree completely. Both of them took the bait and got rung up. X’s response to Edey was way worse than Gunn’s though. Had it not been for recent issues with this team, CJ might not even have been rung up.
Yep, and no CJ and X will get whistled for every touch foul and scrutinized for every cross word and looks towards the officials.

To be honest, the way CJ gambles on D and/or gets beat off the dribble, I don't believe Leal (when healthy) is a bad alternative to CJ. In the case of X, he has a good game or two left. The hard part is knowing when that will happen. Probably at home or maybe not.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
😑 the problem with this team isn’t all shooting. It’s mainly defense. This team would be sufficient at 3s if they just stepped back instead of the half foot over the line long 2s. Free throws, rebounds and defense. Kansas takes 17 threes a game but they hit 7. Wisconsin is close to that also.

Reactions: ams66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT