ADVERTISEMENT

A little birdie

The point really is that Steve Alford would be coming here to coach, not play. If we were recruiting him to come off screens and shoot jump shots I'd say get him here ASAP. But he isn't.

Playing is not coaching. Plenty of great players have been terrible coaches. Plenty of poor players have been great coaches. Some have been great as both. It's a different skill set Steve Alford is not some up-and-coming youngster waiting to get an opportunity at the big time. He's been doing this for twenty-plus years with no history of tournament success. He could not win consistently at Iowa where George Ravelling and Tom Davis did. He led one of the most-talented, senior laden teams in recent Big Ten memory to a first-game turd drop against Northwest Louisiana. He was below .500 as recently as last year.

Great player. Average to below coach. And Ed Schilling, btw is the Keith Wilkes link. He was brought to UCLA to persuade T. Bluitt to come. Didn't work out. And yes, if he were given the IU job Schilling would probably come with him. Schilling was a hell of a recruiter as a high school coach. He might do as well at the college level, who knows. Morally, he's a step below a televangelist. But judging by their results, neither one ever learned a damn thing about defense. We already have that.
Fun fact: When Harvard knocked of New Mexico in the round of 64 in 2013, Alford became the first (and so far only) coach in history to be on the losing end of two separate 3-14 upsets.

(Although, that's still topped by what Lute Olsen accomplished back in the early 90's - he lost in the first round as a 3 and then as a 2 in consecutive seasons.)

Reactions: cryano
The point really is that Steve Alford would be coming here to coach, not play. If we were recruiting him to come off screens and shoot jump shots I'd say get him here ASAP. But he isn't.

Playing is not coaching. Plenty of great players have been terrible coaches. Plenty of poor players have been great coaches. Some have been great as both. It's a different skill set Steve Alford is not some up-and-coming youngster waiting to get an opportunity at the big time. He's been doing this for twenty-plus years with no history of tournament success. He could not win consistently at Iowa where George Ravelling and Tom Davis did. He led one of the most-talented, senior laden teams in recent Big Ten memory to a first-game turd drop against Northwest Louisiana. He was below .500 as recently as last year.

Great player. Average to below coach. And Ed Schilling, btw is the Keith Wilkes link. He was brought to UCLA to persuade T. Bluitt to come. Didn't work out. And yes, if he were given the IU job Schilling would probably come with him. Schilling was a hell of a recruiter as a high school coach. He might do as well at the college level, who knows. Morally, he's a step below a televangelist. But judging by their results, neither one ever learned a damn thing about defense. We already have that.

Don"t know why this was in response to my post. I don't want Alford either.

It's been stated 10000000 times by a recruiting expert OTS that Alford would be no better than any other candidate recruiting in state talent.

Some of you in your 50s and late 40s need to accept that kids today barely care about Jared Jeffries....and don't care about Alford.
Then how does he successfully recruit Leaf and Wilkes?

Regardless of all the facts about Alford, good and bad, I feel it's an itch that we need to scratch. Could you imagine the storyline right now if we had two Alford's in the top five of our all time scoring list? You have to admit it would've been fun!

Whether you hate Steve, love him or are somewhere in the middle, he deserves a serious look.

See above. Ed Schilling. However, the longer ES is away the less influence his former basketball academy back in Indy will have.

Also remember, TC got Cody Zeller, Yogi Ferrell, and JBJ. All highly recruited by top programs across the country. Getting two top players from Indiana is not what I would call a pipeline yet. Indiana kids have been going to UCLA since Mike Warren in the early 1960's. Like Crean, Alford has yet to turn top talent into a Final Four team.

I just don't see him as a guy who has had the kind of success that makes him an enticing prospect as our next coach. As others have pointed out, if he was Steve Alford who had played college ball anywhere but IU, nobody on this board would think his resume' would merit a second look.

It's been stated 10000000 times by a recruiting expert OTS that Alford would be no better than any other candidate recruiting in state talent.

Some of you in your 50s and late 40s need to accept that kids today barely care about Jared Jeffries....and don't care about Alford.
Alford has more 5* recruits in the last 2 classes than Crean has had TOTAL in 9 years. It's not even close.

Also, Alford will likely have more players drafted in ONE class than Crean has had in the last 8.

I'm not saying Alford is a home run but compared to Crean, he's in a completely different league.

Reactions: snarlcakes
Alford has more 5* recruits in the last 2 classes than Crean has had TOTAL in 9 years. It's not even close.

Also, Alford will likely have more players drafted in ONE class than Crean has had in the last 8.

I'm not saying Alford is a home run but compared to Crean, he's in a completely different league.
Alford better do well in the NCAA this year or he is going to be a huge failure according to talent that he has.

Unless your measuring stick is NCAA tournament success. Then Steve Alford is Tom Crean. Why fire what we already have to get the same thing in return. I'm ready to see Tom Crean fired, but not to see him replaced with Tom Crean part II.

You guys do realize if UCLA makes f4 this year, (or better < ) half your alls strongest argument (which is still petty btw) goes out the window.. right?

Because Leaf was never leaving the west cost. You do know he didn't go to high school in Indiana, right?

And it's going to be funny if Alford take the IU job and Wilkes doesn't follow. Wilkes committed to California, not Alford.

And in 22 years, this is the "best" Indiana talent? lol

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
You guys do realize if UCLA makes f4 this year, (or better < ) half your alls strongest argument (which is still petty btw) goes out the window.. right?

You do know if Alford make the final four this year, his resume will match Crean's? Right?

LOL

Keep trying lol

Fun Fact: Alford was part of a NC team 1987
: Alford won a gold medal in the Olympics 1984
: Alford was 3 time coach of the year in the mWC 09,10,13
: Alford has 2 BIG tourney championships as a coach that's two
more then IU has
: took putrid SouthWest Missouri St to sweet 16
: out recruits Crean in Indiana and lives 1200 miles away

more then IU has

That's awesome man, really cool facts. I got one of my own:

Alford has never made it past the Sweet 16 as a college basketball coach.

But I guess he deserves the benefit of the doubt since he is only 2 years older than Crean.

more then IU has

Fact:

Alford has missed the NCAA 12 times in 21 seasons.

Alford has made 3 Sweet 16 in 21 years and has never got past it.

UCLA was 15-17 LAST YEAR

Really? lol

FACT: he spent 15 years at Manchester,SWMS and New Mexico combined. How many sweet 16's are expected at those schools.
Then he rebuilt Iowa. With Iowa players.
Now has UCLA in contention for a final four push.

Reactions: Travis Denny
FACT: he spent 15 years at Manchester,SWMS and New Mexico combined. How many sweet 16's are expected at those schools.
Well, first of all, I don't think Manchester, being a D3 school, should be expected to make a whole hell of a lot of S16s. Second of all, Alford didn't rebuild Iowa at all. He did worse than his predecessor. Tom Davis was let go because the school thought someone else could take the program to the next level. They were wrong. Alford didn't even come close to Davis' level of success. Davis only missed the NC2A's four times in thirteen years. Alford missed it five times in eight years. Davis had a .543 conference winning pct. Alford had a .477. Iowa regressed under Alford. That is, ahem, a FACT.

Well, first of all, I don't think Manchester, being a D3 school, should be expected to make a whole hell of a lot of S16s. Second of all, Alford didn't rebuild Iowa at all. He did worse than his predecessor. Tom Davis was let go because the school thought someone else could take the program to the next level. They were wrong. Alford didn't even come close to Davis' level of success. Davis only missed the NC2A's four times in thirteen years. Alford missed it five times in eight years. Davis had a .543 conference winning pct. Alford had a .477. Iowa regressed under Alford. That is, ahem, a FACT.

Since u typed it on the internet then it MUST be a FACT!! Awesome work

Well I was replying to a post that suggested Alford would only get credit for three sweet 16's in his 21 year career. So I was pointing out that the math is an unrealistic way to judge him on paper.
As far as Alford's success at Iowa I will refer to post season. And does he get a free pass like Crean for his first few seasons? He was dealt a mess.

Well I was replying to a post that suggested Alford would only get credit for three sweet 16's in his 21 year career. So I was pointing out that the math is an unrealistic way to judge him on paper.
As far as Alford's success at Iowa I will refer to post season. And does he get a free pass like Crean for his first few seasons? He was dealt a mess.
And one of those three S16s was at SWMS, one of the schools you dismissed. He never even made the S16 at Iowa, so I don't know what this postseason is you are referring to. His two deep runs in the BTT? Wow.

Also, he wasn't dealt a mess, and the only time he ever took Iowa past the first round was in his second season, so you obviously don't have any clue what you are talking about here.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
No actually I clearly noted SWMS. And I find it impressive. It was monumental at the time.
Two BiG tourney championships. Nice attempt to down play by suggesting it was just "deep runs"
Pretty impressive considering his short stent there and the rebuild process.

No actually I clearly noted SWMS. And I find it impressive. It was monumental at the time.
Two BiG tourney championships. Nice attempt to down play by suggesting it was just "deep runs"
Pretty impressive considering his short stent there and the rebuild process.
You specifically dismissed Manchester, SWMS and New Mexico as reasons he wouldn't make a lot of S16s, despite the fact that one of his meager 3 S16s came from one of those schools, and despite the fact that another one of those schools is a D3 school.

And you continue to claim Iowa was a rebuild. It was not a rebuilt. Davis was fired after making the S16, because Iowa felt he had hit his ceiling. They hired Alford to break through that ceiling. They screwed up.

That's laughable. Sweet 16's are the ceiling at Iowa and they know that.
I didn't dismiss the schools, I pointed out in lamest terms that how many coaches would of had any more success at those same schools?
So when a poster wants to judge three sweet 16's in 21 years then they should be a bit more transparent of where he has coached and also address his successes.
You clearly don't like him for what ever reason and that's fine. Your entitled to your opinion. But I don't see any reason to try and discredit him.

That's laughable. Sweet 16's are the ceiling at Iowa and they know that.
I didn't dismiss the schools, I pointed out in lamest terms that how many coaches would of had any more success at those same schools?
So when a poster wants to judge three sweet 16's in 21 years then they should be a bit more transparent of where he has coached and also address his successes.
You clearly don't like him for what ever reason and that's fine. Your entitled to your opinion. But I don't see any reason to try and discredit him.
You're literally making no sense now. You're just bouncing around between mutually incoherent arguments because you can't admit you have no idea what you're talking about.

Learn to use the quote function, or we're done here.

I use an IPad so the quote option is funky and reads stupid. No worries I won't lose any sleep by being "done here". If that's your simple exit strategy then adios.

Their fathers and mothers don't give two ***** about Steve Alford.

If IU was recruiting middle aged white men from small towns, sure, Alford is your man.
You mean like a 30 year old coach from Orville, OH who's only previous coaching experience was at perennial powerhouse, Army? No way!

Regardless of all the facts about Alford, good and bad, I feel it's an itch that we need to scratch. Could you imagine the storyline right now if we had two Alford's in the top five of our all time scoring list? You have to admit it would've been fun!

Whether you hate Steve, love him or are somewhere in the middle, he deserves a serious look.
An itch should in no way lead to a multi-million dollar contract for an average coach of questionable character.

Fun fact: When Harvard knocked of New Mexico in the round of 64 in 2013, Alford became the first (and so far only) coach in history to be on the losing end of two separate 3-14 upsets.

(Although, that's still topped by what Lute Olsen accomplished back in the early 90's - he lost in the first round as a 3 and then as a 2 in consecutive seasons.)

Great fact. But don't forget that when AZ lost to Santa Clara as a 2 vs. 15 match up, one future NBA MVP was playing for Santa Clara.

While SA is not in my top 3, when reading all of the comparison between Alford and Crean it seems blatantly obvious Alford actually played the game and was highly successful at all levels. I realize coaching is a different story, but still . . . he has been on the court in the exact scenario all IU fans would like to imagine IU attaining again. Crean . . . not so much!

This is becoming as fun as the presidential election. All sides rip any other candidate to make theirs look better. If and when a new candidate is picked, people who did not get what they want will then spend years pointing out any blemish or problem to say I told you so. We have become an IU nation of mal-contents.

The only sure thing would be for Jesus to be IU's next coach ✝. If that doesn't happen then it's best to let FG do his job and whoever the new coach is, let him do his job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT