ADVERTISEMENT

A little birdie

I am not concerned about the PP thing either at this point, he made a mistake believing the kid and acted on it...and has said so. I also don't have an issue with Recker. The kid did not want to play for Knight. He loved IU and Kelly there. Have zero problem with Steve taking him when he did.

His resume is not as good as one would expect to coach at Indiana, but I wonder how well he could do recruiting as a legend in the state.

It's been stated 10000000 times by a recruiting expert OTS that Alford would be no better than any other candidate recruiting in state talent.

Some of you in your 50s and late 40s need to accept that kids today barely care about Jared Jeffries....and don't care about Alford.

Texted me tonight from a D.C. Hotel room. Tom will be given the option to resign and be free to seek another job. If he refuses Glass will pull the trigger. Tom Crean will not be coaching the NIT. Also, word is a certain coach in LA is the early leader after all the initial "feelers" have been put out. But that there is still a long way to go and a new coach will not be made until after the final four.
This is a very good source from someone close to the program. I'm not asking for you to believe me, I'm just sharing information. I guess time will tell. If she's right, we will know soon.
If the "feelers" went out, and SA is indeed the early leader, maybe some of the coaches we all would like to see here aren't interested.

It's been stated 10000000 times by a recruiting expert OTS that Alford would be no better than any other candidate recruiting in state talent.

Some of you in your 50s and late 40s need to accept that kids today barely care about Jared Jeffries....and don't care about Alford.
It was actually stated that the AAU coaches in Indiana are not too fond of SA.

Reactions: echs86
The goal is to get good players
You don't consider Ball, Tj Leaf,and Welsh GREAT players? Let alone good* players like Bryce and Hamilton?
Actually, I would be more concerned with Creans capabilities to develop players vs getting them. Look,I'm sorry but even if Crean snatched golden eggs at IU like Zeller and Oladipo again, do you think hes going to know what to do with them. Oladipo and Zeller were extremely behind their potential playing for Crean, and it shined thru just how utterly bad when they went to NBA.

Reactions: largemouth
You don't consider Ball, Tj Leaf,and Welsh GREAT players? Let alone good* players like Bryce and Hamilton?
Actually, I would be more concerned with Creans capabilities to develop players vs getting them. Look,I'm sorry but even if Crean snatched golden eggs at IU like Zeller and Oladipo again, do you think hes going to know what to do with them. Oladipo and Zeller were extremely behind their potential playing for Crean, and it shined thru just how utterly bad when they went to NBA.
I didn't say Alford couldn't recruit. The problem is he doesn't do anything with that talent. I was saying that at least Crean has been to a FF, unlike Alford's dreadful tournament resume over 21 years. People always say that's only because of Wade, so that's why I mentioned that.

Lol he just landed Kris Wilkes from indy
LA and the NBA players landed Wilkes, not Alford.

Not true. Alford landed those recruits. UCLA is not exactly A great place to play.

Kids may not remember him. But moms, dads, uncles and coaches do. And most b of the time its those people directing and pushing a kid to a school.
1. Not a great place to play? They have more "history" than anyone. Are you kidding?
2. In state recruiting won't be as favorable as you think. Alford isn't exactly loved by the AAU coaches around IN. Ask Bloom.

If that's your reason for not hiring Alford I get it. But to say he couldn't recruit or be successful at IU is wrong. He recruits at A high level from A school that shouldn't out recruit IU
Wrong, UCLA should outrecruit Indiana. And, UCLA has outrecruited IU for 50 years.

I'll say this, I'm done with Crean, but Alford has had more talent than Crean and done less with it. Nobody does less with more.

Alford is clearly recruiting big time talent now that he has landed Leaf, Ball, and Wilkes. I don't think recruiting will be Steve's problem, and he would have no trouble with ties in the state.

What he would do with the talent is another question. But after his high profile success at UCLA, if he were to arrive at IU, I think he'd get some big names right away and if he could win with them, the pipeline would begin.

The state of Indiana is a rich well. Having at least some connection is a definite plus. Alford's would be stronger than most.

Alford is clearly recruiting big time talent now that he has landed Leaf, Ball, and Wilkes. I don't think recruiting will be Steve's problem, and he would have no trouble with ties in the state.

What he would do with the talent is another question. But after his high profile success at UCLA, if he were to arrive at IU, I think he'd get some big names right away and if he could win with them, the pipeline would begin.

The state of Indiana is a rich well. Having at least some connection is a definite plus. Alford's would be stronger than most.

What's the difference between that and Crean?

And you are simply wrong if you think Alford has any more pull in the state of Indiana than anyone else.

It's actually been said that AAU coaches in Indiana don't like Alford.

It's actually been said that AAU coaches in Indiana don't like Alford.
So what? Does Glass have to run his names by Bloom before making an offer? How did Leaf's and Wilkes' AAU coaches allow them to go play for Alford? This is getting silly.

Reactions: iubhounds
Texted me tonight from a D.C. Hotel room. Tom will be given the option to resign and be free to seek another job. If he refuses Glass will pull the trigger. Tom Crean will not be coaching the NIT. Also, word is a certain coach in LA is the early leader after all the initial "feelers" have been put out. But that there is still a long way to go and a new coach will not be made until after the final four.
This is a very good source from someone close to the program. I'm not asking for you to believe me, I'm just sharing information. I guess time will tell. If she's right, we will know soon.
Did the birdie tell you how the meeting went?

what's hilarious, is that kids in their 20s are sure they know more than people in their 50s.

but don't feel like it's just you.

14 yr olds are sure they know more than twenty somethings, and 8 yr olds are sure they know more than 14 yr olds.

of course, try to explain to an 8 yr old, a 14 yr old, or a 20 yr old, that grown ups know more, and good luck with that.

some things can only be learned with time, and can't just be "told".

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
557–278 (.667) Alford missed tournament 9 times in 20 years. 3 Sixteens no final fours. 4 conference titles.

356–230 (.608). Crean 2big ten titles missed tournament 9 times in 17 seasons 1 final four 4 sweet sixteens.

Reactions: largemouth
557–278 (.667) Alford missed tournament 9 times in 20 years. 3 Sixteens no final fours. 4 conference titles.

356–230 (.608). Crean 2big ten titles missed tournament 9 times in 17 seasons 1 final four 4 sweet sixteens.

I don't know but curious what Alford's record was vs IU when he was at Iowa? If I get some time I'll go find the answer.

So what? Does Glass have to run his names by Bloom before making an offer? How did Leaf's and Wilkes' AAU coaches allow them to go play for Alford? This is getting silly.

What's silly is you people only want Alford because he is a former player and somehow it's going teleport everyone back to 1987.

Alford has NEVER made it past the Sweet 16 in 21 years. Has missed the NCAA 12 times.

What's silly is you people only want Alford because he is a former player and somehow it's going teleport everyone back to 1987.
Except that I don't want Alford. I was just pointing out how silly that particular argument against him is.

Alford has NEVER made it past the Sweet 16 in 21 years. Has missed the NCAA 12 times.
I am getting very tired of the younger generation of IU fans. You guys seem very arrogant and think they know everything about IU basketball. I am starting to agree with DD that the downfall of Indiana University is bringing to many out of state students from the east coast. They are bringing kids in that have no idea about the history of Iu and don't care to learn it.

Reactions: .Gerdis
I am getting very tired of the younger generation of IU fans. You guys seem very arrogant and think they know everything about IU basketball. I am starting to agree with DD that the downfall of Indiana University is bringing to many out of state students from the east coast. They are bringing kids in that have no idea about the history of Iu and don't care to learn it.

Those meddlin kids from the big cities, amiright? I attended IU, but grew up in the Chicago area.

Did I contribute to the downfall of IU because I didn't grow up in an Indiana cornfield that had a barn with a basketball hoop attached to the side of it?

Get over yourself, no one cares what your vision of Indiana University is.

Reactions: 47404
How is what he said wrong? What makes you think being at IU would be any different. At some point your body of work is what it is. And by the way, I am from Indiana and not young.

For the love of god LET IT GO.

It's NEVER going to be the 80s again. EVER.

You can close your eyes and click your heals together as many times as you want, but it's 2017.

Hiring Alford will do nothing. Alford is to UCLA what Crean is to IU. Why can't you see that?

Bob Knight just wished death on people associated to IU....and you people want to continue to be part of that. Blows my mind....

And you wonder why IU is stuck in mediocrity.

Ya, maybe we should build a wall so they can't come to Indiana. It's not a problem with fans expectations. The administration is incompetent in the realm of sports leading to poor coaching selections and management. If anything, you should be tired of the old people running a joke of an athletic program. It's not rocket science.

Scott really is a spineless coward. Changes his opinions with the wind, and thumbs his nose at the younger generation who's posters put him in a mental pretzel every day on this board.

Although, I think he's admitted in the past he's only in his 40's. Yet he has the mental acuity, and stubborn old beliefs of a geriatric.

On the side??? What a silly city boy you are. The goal is always on the front of the barn. Always.
basketball-barn-michael-l-kimble.jpg

I think it would be a great hire,if and only if they win the championship in the 1st of many contracts. I f he doesn't then its not,let him go.

Scott really is a spineless coward. Changes his opinions with the wind, and thumbs his nose at the younger generation who's posters put him in a mental pretzel every day on this board.

Although, I think he's admitted in the past he's only in his 40's. Yet he has the mental acuity, and stubborn old beliefs of a geriatric.

That's a low blow to us geriatrics.

Absolutely. Bring Crean back, we set the program back one more year. Bring Alford in, we set it back another decade.

True. Short of getting caught cheating or committing a felony, he'd be almost impossible to fire.

Better yet, release CTC and hire an outstanding & accomplished coach.

True. Short of getting caught cheating or committing a felony, he'd be almost impossible to fire.

Better yet, release CTC and hire an outstanding & accomplished coach.
Yeah, I mean the list of guys I'd be willing to fire Crean for is extremely long. If I were Glass, the only way Crean stays is if I strike out on a LOT of choices. But there is a small handful of possible hires that would be even more damaging than one more year of CTC. Alford is in that handful.

That's a low blow to us geriatrics.
The point really is that Steve Alford would be coming here to coach, not play. If we were recruiting him to come off screens and shoot jump shots I'd say get him here ASAP. But he isn't.

Playing is not coaching. Plenty of great players have been terrible coaches. Plenty of poor players have been great coaches. Some have been great as both. It's a different skill set Steve Alford is not some up-and-coming youngster waiting to get an opportunity at the big time. He's been doing this for twenty-plus years with no history of tournament success. He could not win consistently at Iowa where George Ravelling and Tom Davis did. He led one of the most-talented, senior laden teams in recent Big Ten memory to a first-game turd drop against Northwest Louisiana. He was below .500 as recently as last year.

Great player. Average to below coach. And Ed Schilling, btw is the Keith Wilkes link. He was brought to UCLA to persuade T. Bluitt to come. Didn't work out. And yes, if he were given the IU job Schilling would probably come with him. Schilling was a hell of a recruiter as a high school coach. He might do as well at the college level, who knows. Morally, he's a step below a televangelist. But judging by their results, neither one ever learned a damn thing about defense. We already have that.

For the love of god LET IT GO.

It's NEVER going to be the 80s again. EVER.

You can close your eyes and click your heals together as many times as you want, but it's 2017.

Hiring Alford will do nothing. Alford is to UCLA what Crean is to IU. Why can't you see that?

Bob Knight just wished death on people associated to IU....and you people want to continue to be part of that. Blows my mind....

And you wonder why IU is stuck in mediocrity.
First of all i don't want Alford and secondly I wanted RMK gone about two years before he left.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT