ADVERTISEMENT

A little birdie

2. In state recruiting won't be as favorable as you think. Alford isn't exactly loved by the AAU coaches around IN. Ask Bloom.

I have never said such a thing. He just didn't get any traction with Indiana kids when he was in Iowa. I didn't care for Craig Neal, but that's mostly because of people who had worked with him in the NBA and in college who just didn't think he was a good person, regardless of what they thought of him as a coach.

The only sure thing would be for Jesus to be IU's next coach ✝. If that doesn't happen then it's best to let FG do his job and whoever the new coach is, let him do his job.

Are you kidding???

With this fan base, Jesus wouldn't stand a chance. Most here don't even like the fact that coach Crean is a christian!

Reactions: JonesIndiana
FACT: he spent 15 years at Manchester,SWMS and New Mexico combined. How many sweet 16's are expected at those schools.
Then he rebuilt Iowa. With Iowa players.
Now has UCLA in contention for a final four push.
Rebuilt Iowa? They weren't rebuilding anything. They thought they had peaked under Davis. Alford is like their 5th most successful coach.

Reactions: JonesIndiana
FACT: he spent 15 years at Manchester,SWMS and New Mexico combined. How many sweet 16's are expected at those schools.
Then he rebuilt Iowa. With Iowa players.
Now has UCLA in contention for a final four push.

He did not "rebuild" Iowa as he had a worse record than the guy he replaced.

And the # 1 knock on UCLA this year is their defense which, last time I checked, you need a pretty good one to make it far in the Dance.

This is one of the main reasons I don't want Wonder Boy: His apologists will make it next to impossible to get rid of the guy no matter how awful he is.

Hickory Hoosier, who is almost always right, now saying on the other site that if Crean leaves it will be his decision alone. And the Missouri possibility appears to be completely dead. Apparently Tom isn't willing to take any salary reduction.

Hickory Hoosier, who is almost always right, now saying on the other site that if Crean leaves it will be his decision alone. And the Missouri possibility appears to be completely dead. Apparently Tom isn't willing to take any salary reduction.

Like I've said all along, Glass doesn't have the balls to fire him.

Why doesn't he offer to make up the difference?

Get ready for an extension, folks........

Reactions: russelltodd
cheer-squad-21.jpg

There's these too.
There are pretty girls everywhere..UK, KU, and Duke get the best players in the country and have for 30 years and those places are not sexy or exciting. Doubt that LA itself is a big factor in the big picture. Sure, you'll lose some great players because it's Cali but ya can't get em all anyway. For the record, I think Alford would recruit extremely well at IU but I'm not sold on him outside of that.

Alford led two separate New Mexico teams to Top 10 Final AP Poll finishes in 4 years. The 2 common players on each team were very minor contributors on the first team. That is an accomplishment at any non-blue blood school and a remarkable one in a mid-major conference. His New Mexico teams went 15-5 vs Top 25 teams

He's now had five 28+ win seasons in the last 8 years. He's won either the regular season or conference tournament title in 6 of his last 12 seasons. Tomorrow he will have his 4th Top 3 seeded team in the last 12 years (same number as Izzo). It'll also be his 5th top 4 seeded team in the last 12 years (same number as Izzo). It'll be his 6th top 5 seeded team in the last 12 years (1 behind Izzo)

You people are ridiculous and that's putting it mildly. The only things that counts at UCLA are the losses. Great recruiting... no credit. Two 28+ win seasons... no credit. Nothing at New Mexico counts and I'm not sure why? No credit for having the #1 defensive team in the country in 2006 at Iowa.

This thread is an embarrassment to basketball fans who actually follow the game! Kentucky fans over at Rupp Rafters are rarely as cocky with their ignorance as I've seen in this thread... and that's quite an accomplishment. Congrats!!

Reactions: IU Hardcore
Alford led two separate New Mexico teams to Top 10 Final AP Poll finishes in 4 years. The 2 common players on each team were very minor contributors on the first team. That is an accomplishment at any non-blue blood school and a remarkable one in a mid-major conference. His New Mexico teams went 15-5 vs Top 25 teams

He's now had five 28+ win seasons in the last 8 years. He's won either the regular season or conference tournament title in 6 of his last 12 seasons. Tomorrow he will have his 4th Top 3 seeded team in the last 12 years (same number as Izzo). It'll also be his 5th top 4 seeded team in the last 12 years (same number as Izzo). It'll be his 6th top 5 seeded team in the last 12 years (1 behind Izzo)

You people are ridiculous and that's putting it mildly. The only things that counts at UCLA are the losses. Great recruiting... no credit. Two 28+ win seasons... no credit. Nothing at New Mexico counts and I'm not sure why? No credit for having the #1 defensive team in the country in 2006 at Iowa.

This thread is an embarrassment to basketball fans who actually follow the game! Kentucky fans over at Rupp Rafters are rarely as cocky with their ignorance as I've seen in this thread... and that's quite an accomplishment. Congrats!!

So how many Big Ten titles did he win while at Iowa? How many Elite 8's and Final Fours has he been to as a head coach? He has done nothing better than TC and not done as much in the Big Ten. He is a lateral move at best.

Mizzou guy here.... If Crean doesn't come to MIZ, it's not because we weren't willing to pay him. You can bank on that.

Good luck either way fellas.

Reactions: hoosier_est_1984
I am not trying to defend Alford, but let's not forget, after the Pierre Pierce incident while at Iowa, two other schools hired Alford--New Mexico and UCLA. Good or bad, I don't think it's as big of an issue in the eyes of those making coaching decisions as you think it is. Will Indiana look at it differently? I doubt it.
Then the guy who hires him should be let go. I could care less what UCLA or New Mexico does.

Someone saying there is 6 pm press conference to retain Crean. Can anyone confirm?

You just cited a bunch of regular season accomplishments and talking points around rankings and seeding. Lmao. Tom Crean LOVES people like you. Alford is mediocre at best and just like Crean recruits enough talent to overcome his coaching deficiencies, however, come tournament time, he gets exposed. Wanting to hire a coach because of his regular season accomplishments and tourney seeding, after what we've had to endure over the last 9 years is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've read on this board in a month or more. That is saying something.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
So how many Big Ten titles did he win while at Iowa? How many Elite 8's and Final Fours has he been to as a head coach? He has done nothing better than TC and not done as much in the Big Ten. He is a lateral move at best.

He did win two BTT's at Iowa... that don't count. He won two more of those at New Mexico and one at UCLA... that don't count even though conference tournament titles were all the rage here at this time last year. He's won 32 conference tournament games in his career to Crean's 10. Heck, Alford won 3 more conference tournament games at Iowa alone than Crean has in his entire career. The lateral move stuff is just horsecrap.

If you want to say he hasn't accomplished enough for the IU job... fine, but equating him with Tom Crean as a basketball coach is ludicrous with a capital L!

Reactions: hoosier_est_1984
You just cited a bunch of regular season accomplishments and talking points around rankings and seeding. Lmao. Tom Crean LOVES people like you. Alford is mediocre at best and just like Crean recruits enough talent to overcome his coaching deficiencies, however, come tournament time, he gets exposed. Wanting to hire a coach because of his regular season accomplishments and tourney seeding, after what we've had to endure over the last 9 years is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've read on this board in a month or more. That is saying something.

Are conference tournaments not tournaments? He's obviously a fine tournament coach because he wins tournaments on a regular basis... Crean has never even won a Maui Tournament let alone any kind of post season tournament.

I like Alford at UCLA! I'm not pimping him for the IU job! Equating him as a coach with Tom Crean is just too ignorant to ignore.

Mizzou guy here.... If Crean doesn't come to MIZ, it's not because we weren't willing to pay him. You can bank on that.

Good luck either way fellas.

I seriously doubt they'll pay him the Top 10 salary he's getting now.....and I don't blame them.

btw.....I lived in Columbia for a year. Great time!!

You never answered my question. How many Elite 8's and Final 4's has he been to? Is winning the conference in the MVC or Pac 12 or MWC equivalent to the Big Ten?

Are conference tournaments not tournaments? .

Not really.

Knight didn't care one single bit about winning one. I'm sure lots of coaches feel the same way when they already know they are going to the Dance and don't want their guys playing 3 games in 3 days to maybe move one seed up.

Not really.

Knight didn't care one single bit about winning one. I'm sure lots of coaches feel the same way when they already know they are going to the Dance and don't want their guys playing 3 games in 3 days to maybe move one seed up.

Too funny! Since when do people here care what Bob Knight thinks? Coaches that get knocked out of the conference tournament find the silver lining, which is a great one in this case, but you don't see coaches not trying to win their conference tournaments either. A lot of these conference tournament championship games have been epic over the years, which wouldn't be the case if coaches didn't care about the the conference tournaments.

You people are disturbing. The bottom line is Crean has to go. Finding excuses not too at this point is like negotiating with a terrorist

Rebuilt Iowa? They weren't rebuilding anything. They thought they had peaked under Davis. Alford is like their 5th most successful coach.
You must not remember how things ended at Iowa with Davis, and the roster SA inherited.

Texted me tonight from a D.C. Hotel room. Tom will be given the option to resign and be free to seek another job. If he refuses Glass will pull the trigger. Tom Crean will not be coaching the NIT. Also, word is a certain coach in LA is the early leader after all the initial "feelers" have been put out. But that there is still a long way to go and a new coach will not be made until after the final four.
This is a very good source from someone close to the program. I'm not asking for you to believe me, I'm just sharing information. I guess time will tell. If she's right, we will know soon.
I've heard from a guy that knows him (went to new castle with him) that Alford wants the job and doesn't like it in LA. Says it takes him 2 hours to get to campus everyday and lives just 15 miles away. I would be on board 100% with Alford at this point.

I've heard from a guy that knows him (went to new castle with him) that Alford wants the job and doesn't like it in LA. Says it takes him 2 hours to get to campus everyday and lives just 15 miles away. I would be on board 100% with Alford at this point.
Please no Alford.

Alford is probably salivating at a chance to coach at IU. Years ago he had a weekend home on Sweetwater Lake in northeast Brown Co. or so I was told by a woman who cleaned the place for his family. He's a small town kid at heart. We all know that and that is one of the things that makes him special. He's one of us. He's not Hollywood. The timing is better now and Bloomington beckons.

Reactions: wchew200
Then the guy who hires him should be let go. I could care less what UCLA or New Mexico does.

For the record, the A.D.s at both schools still have their jobs.

So if Indiana hires Alford, what are you going to do? My guess renew your season tickets immediately and cheer as loud as ever.

Reactions: wchew200
Also... this is why IU fans should ask for Glass's head if he doesn't fire Crean. Steve Alford, who this fanbase thinks is terrible, is miles better than Tom Crean.

I do not care if they hire the real Bozo the clown as coach, but Crean has to go!

Miles better? LOL. Give me a break.

Was a 2 seed and a 3 seed and couldn't get past the first weekend. How is that miles better? Had FIVE McDonald's All Americans and couldn't win the Pac 12 conference a few years ago. Supported sexual assault for a player at Iowa, disgusting. Has NEVER been to a Final Four.

So tell me how he is miles better? Hell, tell me how he is even equal? Considering the talent he has had and the blown seeds, blown conference championships? Please, tell us.

BS. It does not take him 2 hours to get to campus from 15 miles. He's averaging 7mph? LA traffic sucks, I travel there often for business, but it is nowhere close to that bad. Give me a break.

Saying he supported sexual assault is like saying Bush supported terrorism. He handled the situation poorly, that's what he is guilty of. It's ironic he is persecuted more then Pierce himself.

Reactions: MG80
The traffic is that bad actually. You sure beat a loud drum for not knowing much of anything

Saying he supported sexual assault is like saying Bush supported terrorism. He handled the situation poorly, that's what he is guilty of. It's ironic he is persecuted more then Pierce himself.

I don't think it's ironic at all. Alford was supposed to be the adult.....and a "Christian."

Miles better? LOL. Give me a break.

Was a 2 seed and a 3 seed and couldn't get past the first weekend. How is that miles better? Had FIVE McDonald's All Americans and couldn't win the Pac 12 conference a few years ago. Supported sexual assault for a player at Iowa, disgusting. Has NEVER been to a Final Four.

So tell me how he is miles better? Hell, tell me how he is even equal? Considering the talent he has had and the blown seeds, blown conference championships? Please, tell us.

You ever hear of Brandon Ashley, Aaron Gordon, Rondae Hollis Jefferson, T.J. McConnell, Kaleb Tarczewski, Nick Johnson and Gabe York? Arizona had a great team that year that was also pretty talented! Even though UCLA had to settle for 2nd in the regular season, they beat them in the PAC 12 Championship game. BTW, how many of your beloved Final Fours has the great Sean Miller been to? He's had more talent than Crean. Is Crean better than Miller too?

I'm finding this board to be at kindergarten level more and more. Maybe we are truly getting what we deserve as a fanbase whose collective IQ has dropped precipitously over the years. I take the cake in the low IQ department for wasting time here!

ADVERTISEMENT