ADVERTISEMENT

A little birdie

5morebanners

Freshman
Nov 9, 2010
Texted me tonight from a D.C. Hotel room. Tom will be given the option to resign and be free to seek another job. If he refuses Glass will pull the trigger. Tom Crean will not be coaching the NIT. Also, word is a certain coach in LA is the early leader after all the initial "feelers" have been put out. But that there is still a long way to go and a new coach will not be made until after the final four.
This is a very good source from someone close to the program. I'm not asking for you to believe me, I'm just sharing information. I guess time will tell. If she's right, we will know soon.

Texted me tonight from a D.C. Hotel room. Tom will be given the option to resign and be free to seek another job. If he refuses Glass will pull the trigger. Tom Crean will not be coaching the NIT. Also, word is a certain coach in LA is the early leader after all the initial "feelers" have been put out. But that there is still a long way to go and a new coach will not be made until after the final four.
This is a very good source from someone close to the program. I'm not asking for you to believe me, I'm just sharing information. I guess time will tell. If she's right, we will know soon.
Alford I asume.

Reactions: bsmitty08
jhsfp.gif

Reactions: cshartle123
It would be an emotional pick.

Like if in 1970 we would have gone with the emotional pick and chose Bobby Leonard instead of that intense sob from Ohio State who had absolutely zero ties to the history of our program.

If his name wasn't Steve Alford no one would even bat an eye at him.

Sigh.

It reminds me of Roy Williams coming home leaving Kansas for UNC. Except this is deeper then that grew up in Indiana won a national championship under Knight will kill it recruiting in Indiana be interesting if Wilkes comes to IU?

Reactions: hoosierstateII
UCLA landed those guys....not Alford.

Not true. Alford landed those recruits. UCLA is not exactly A great place to play. Fans have many options in LA. So it's not like these guys play in front of sale out crowds every night, or get treated like kids from Ky, Dke, UNC Or even UL.

The guy a few posts back said. If his name was not Alford he would not get a sniff us.
Not true. SA has built a pretty solid program with recruits he got and IU has been trying to get under Crean.

In my opinion. It would be easier to recruit IU then UCLA for Alford. Hell he wouldn't have to leave the state that he just happens to be a legend in. To get top recruits.

Kids may not remember him. But moms, dads, uncles and coaches do. And most b of the time its those people directing and pushing a kid to a school. So SA in my opinion would be a good hire. Not great. But pretty good.

Reactions: Bear81

Let's hope your friend is half right.

If Alford is hired, I'm done with IU basketball.

Not true. Alford landed those recruits. UCLA is not exactly A great place to play. Fans have many options in LA. So it's not like these guys play in front of sale out crowds every night, or get treated like kids from Ky, Dke, UNC Or even UL.

The guy a few posts back said. If his name was not Alford he would not get a sniff us.
Not true. SA has built a pretty solid program with recruits he got and IU has been trying to get under Crean.

In my opinion. It would be easier to recruit IU then UCLA for Alford. Hell he wouldn't have to leave the state that he just happens to be a legend in. To get top recruits.

Kids may not remember him. But moms, dads, uncles and coaches do. And most b of the time its those people directing and pushing a kid to a school. So SA in my opinion would be a good hire. Not great. But pretty good.
Pierre Pierce. Of course, you and yours don't care about that kind of thing, but we do. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Nobody here needs or wants your opinion. TIA

Reactions: tax_pimp
It reminds me of Roy Williams coming home leaving Kansas for UNC. Except this is deeper then that grew up in Indiana won a national championship under Knight will kill it recruiting in Indiana be interesting if Wilkes comes to IU?
Except Alford's resume is in some ways worse than Crean's, and you're just nostalgic for him as a player.

Go away.

Pierre Pierce. Of course, you and yours don't care about that kind of thing, but we do. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Nobody here needs or wants your opinion. TIA

If that's your reason for not hiring Alford I get it. But to say he couldn't recruit or be successful at IU is wrong. He recruits at A high level from A school that shouldn't out recruit IU.

As far as your comment insinuating UK fans would of been ok taking PP after his issues. Maybe some. But the majority wouldn't. Cal has brought in good young men with strong family foundations. I'm not going to name all them. But the Harrisons, Townes, Davis , Booker, Ulis and KW are the standard we expect now at UK. All those young men are solid people and students. Not going to lie. The first class Cal brought in. I didn't like. I'm from Memphis and it felt like A sketchy Memphis class he always recruited there. But after that class I gotta admit. All the kids have been solid student athletes and great ambassadors for our school.

Reactions: SilverCharm01
I hope Glass is more in touch than this, but, is he simply naive/oblivious and thinks Alford is who IU fans want?

Emotions and 'family' sometimes get in the way of making wise decisions.

Reactions: echs86
That's a bold statement. You know, it's possible for someone to learn and grow from their mistakes
Alford has had multiple years and chances to make amends. He's never offered anything but a half assed apology for enabling Pierce and getting Athletes in Action to try to get the victim to drop the rape allegations. His Crean-lite like coaching record is a minimal part of why he has no business at IU.

Agreed...the alford situation parallels the roy williams situation. Ya know, other than the 4 final fours, 9 conference championships, and .805 winning percentage roy had at Kansas. But yeah totally the same.

That's a bold statement. You know, it's possible for someone to learn and grow from their mistakes
Helping cover up and protecting a rapist isn't something you can "get over" and shows an absolute lack in judgement that, IMHO, should disqualify you. Period. Add to that that he's not really done anything more than Crean in his coaching career and......well, there are better coaching options. A lot better.

If that's your reason for not hiring Alford I get it. But to say he couldn't recruit or be successful at IU is wrong. He recruits at A high level from A school that shouldn't out recruit IU.

As far as your comment insinuating UK fans would of been ok taking PP after his issues. Maybe some. But the majority wouldn't. Cal has brought in good young men with strong family foundations. I'm not going to name all them. But the Harrisons, Townes, Davis , Booker, Ulis and KW are the standard we expect now at UK. All those young men are solid people and students. Not going to lie. The first class Cal brought in. I didn't like. I'm from Memphis and it felt like A sketchy Memphis class he always recruited there. But after that class I gotta admit. All the kids have been solid student athletes and great ambassadors for our school.

You gotta understand that, to some IU fans, it's an article of faith that (1) UK is and always has been a slimy basketball program, (2) virtually all their players are ingrates, and (3) John Calipari doesn't want to end this so much as accentuate and rely on it.

Now, I'm not much of a fan of the one-and-done thing. And there's no question that no college coach has embraced OAD as much as Cal has. But, that said, it's neither here nor there in regards to the character of players....and there's also no question about the results Cal has achieved with it.

I don't think it's the only path to consistent success in college basketball today. But it's clearly one of them.

And I agree with you that Kentucky in the Calipari era has had kids who are not only obviously fine players, but apparently also fine people.

Reactions: jacsmi

His coaching record is mediocre. His record in the tournament is as well. I wasn't saying UK would take PP. I'm saying that you would take the coach that defended him.

Last edited:
His record in the tourney is not great, and yes he has made mistakes. But that record was not at IU with Indiana kids, and who on this board has not made decisions that they would like to go back and handle differently. I feel he will do a very good job at IU!! He will get a lot more of Indiana boys to stay at home than we have had in a long time. I feel he was confident that he had the job when Davis got it. We would now get a very seasoned Coach that finally gets his dream job.

Reactions: hoosierstateII
When UCLA hired Alford, a lot of you guys said that UCLA wasn't an elite job anymore. Now you say that UCLA lands recruits from the state of Indiana on it's prestige alone... cute!

They've had pro's up and down the roster for the last 25 years. Alford has just done less with them than howland and harrick.

Reactions: PtownHoosier
They've had pro's up and down the roster for the last 25 years. Alford has just done less with them than howland and harrick.

So it is an elite job then?

When people say "You wouldn't even consider Alford if he hadn't played at IU", I answer with "Why did UCLA hire him? Are they closet IU fans?"

Then I get "UCLA isn't even an elite job anymore"

You just can't try have it both ways (like many here do) and be taken seriously in a conversation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT