ADVERTISEMENT

OT (a little)...State Finals

uncleter

Benchwarmer
Jul 10, 2003
Congratulations to all champions. Some tidbits. Brownstown 2A and Scottsburg (my hometown) 3A are both in the Mid-Southern Conference. Scottsburg's Jack Miller's dad is Jon Miller, Hanover College head coach. Brownstown's Jack Benter's dad is Dave Benter, Brownstown's coach. Micah Shrewsberry's son started for South Bend St. Joe, whom Scottsburg defeated. The elders Miller, Benter, and Shrewsberry played together at Hanover in the late 90's. I was there a little earlier (1971).

Benter (from my hometown) would have been a terrific 4-year sniper at IU. Not sure he’s gonna be quick enough to guard much, but if you need a couple quick 3s, he’s perfect. Matt Roth type. Now we get to watch him do it at Purdue.

It’s an interesting topic. Usually gets into the single vs class bball. I like single class, it was special in this state (duh).

However, the below article made a good and well thought out case for class basketball.

I’m not sure. High school ball was always going to decline a bit with the proliferation of entertainment options. I’d still prefer single class, but it was probably never going to be what it was.

Nuvo Article In Favor of Class Basketball

Can’t believe how the IHSAA has ruined the interest in basketball. The idea that we have to pay to watch is ridiculous. It’s not the $$ it’s the principle. This is INDIANA where basketball used to be king.
It's 2024 ..America is full of capitalism.
I'm old.. Don't much like it.
But it is ..What it is
But I went to all 4 games yesterday..

And this year was the 70th anniversary of Milan’s triumph over Marian.
Muncie Central 32-30. In 1953 lost in the state semifinals to South Bend Central. In 1954 beat Terre Haute Gerstmeyer in semifinals and then Muncie Central in the final. Coach Marvin Wood ended up at Mishawaka High School and has a statue in Mishawaka measuring the height of the basket.

Last edited:
Reactions: dayhr11
And this year was the 70th anniversary of Milan’s triumph over Marian.

It's 2024 ..America is full of capitalism.
I'm old.. Don't much like it.
But it is ..What it is
But I went to all 4 games yesterday..
I'm with you but probably a little more tolerant of capitalism except with interference in
amateur sports. I don't even like CFB playing on Friday nights. Single class just dripped Hoosier. Now we're homogenized just like the other states wanted us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT