ADVERTISEMENT

Realistic Expectations

NWfor3

Benchwarmer
Mar 25, 2013
The frustration level is extremely high in Hoosier Nation, we have all had enough of this poor product that we see on the floor game after game. So...what are some realistic expectations moving forward? So many want Woodson gone, but who is a viable candidate to come coach in Bloomington? If Dolson decides to pull the trigger to let Woodson go (this year or next), he better have the next coach ready to go. He cannot get rid of Woodson and then try to figure things out! Have a coach ready to come in and take over, pay whoever it is!
- Re-structure the program from top to bottom
- Establish a new culture
- Make recruiting a top priority - get kids who will "fit" the program and the expectations.
- Coach and Teach!
- Get assistants who are willing to put the time and effort in! (Who is the one on the bench that looks like he always half-asleep?)
- No more black, ugly uniforms!

- Make a list right now of the Top 5 Head Coaching candidates and start having conversations. Money should not be an object!

- Who are your "realistic" HC candidates?

Reactions: CriticArisen
Billy Donovan. 58 years old. 4 Final Fours. 2 National Championships (last in 2014). Last 10 season in the pros could be his reason to move. Don't compare this guy to Woodson. They aren't in the same league. This guy would blow up the B1G and put IU back on the map in a serious way. But then again...he was my choice years ago. Dreamers gonna dream.

Billy Donovan. 58 years old. 4 Final Fours. 2 National Championships (last in 2014). Last 10 season in the pros could be his reason to move. Don't compare this guy to Woodson. They aren't in the same league. This guy would blow up the B1G and put IU back on the map in a serious way. But then again...he was my choice years ago. Dreamers gonna dream.
if nothing else, I guess his current contract ends this postseason and it sounds like the Bulls may want to go in a different direction moving forward.

If so I guess his choice could come down to remaining in the NBA as an assistant or trying for another head coaching gig (expansion team maybe?) OR taking the route of his mentor Pitino (as well as Calipari) and return to college coaching.

if nothing else, I guess his current contract ends this postseason and it sounds like the Bulls may want to go in a different direction moving forward.

If so I guess his choice could come down to remaining in the NBA as an assistant or trying for another head coaching gig (expansion team maybe?) OR taking the route of his mentor Pitino (as well as Calipari) and return to college coaching.
Do you start the process now for Donovan? Get in contact with his agent and see where his interest lies? The Bulls are currently sitting at the 9th spot in the East which puts them in a play-in playoff. Their season could be over by mid to late April, not too long after the NCAA Tourney ends.

No more NBA coaches please.

Beard, Pearl, Donovan...I would take any of them. Assembly Hall would be a tough place to play again!
Get players who love the game and want to be in Bloomington, not use IU as a stop along the way to the NBA.
Donovan, Breard, and May, along with the guy from Indiana State would be my top 4.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Donovan may well have no desire to return to college coaching. Fair enough, but I’d imagine there was a time in their NBA careers when Pitino and Calipari didn’t either.

I don’t know if NBA coaching contracts typically run through the end of an NBA season or only until a coach’s team is eliminated. Whatever the case, UL and UK found ways to make it work. For all I know UK may already be talking to Donovan’s agent.

You mean the Billy Donovan who won back to back NCAA titles at Florida? Yeah, who would want that guy?

But seriously, who actually believes that the head coach of the Chicago Bulls is going to leave to come coach IU? It's a ridiculous notion.
The thought there is that he may well part company with the Bulls after this season...his contract is ended (as is). Donovan has more years coaching in college than he does in the pros. He's not your typical pro guy. But...CMW is making an impression on that transition.

Reactions: 76-1
You mean the Billy Donovan who won back to back NCAA titles at Florida? Yeah, who would want that guy?

But seriously, who actually believes that the head coach of the Chicago Bulls is going to leave to come coach IU? It's a ridiculous notion.
10 years ago maybe. Not now. Been in the NBA too long. Do you really want another mediocre NBA coach?

10 years ago maybe. Not now. Been in the NBA too long. Do you really want another mediocre NBA coach?
Donovan is very much dialed in to today's college basketball. He had some interesting things to say about NIL, the portal...etc. recently. IF there was a snowball's chance of landing that guy....He is the closest thing to a sure thing that exists.

No more NBA coaches please.
He is a college coach, trying to be an NBA coach. Taking away the 2 years he was rebuilding UF, in 17 seasons at UF and won 72% of this games. 8 sweet 16s, 7 Elite Eights, 4 final fours (where he won 3 of those games) and 2 national titles. Only twice did he not make the tournament and advanced to the quarterfinal and semifinal of the NIT those years. At only 58yrs of age, and a rejuvenation for the college game, he would be an absolute home run hire.

I kinda doubt Calipari is going anywhere...but if Donovan ends up landing in college any time in the next year or two...not sure what I'll do, but I'll be pissed.

If I'm Dolson, I'm blowing Donovan's agent's phone up right now. If not Donovan himself.

Donovan is very much dialed in to today's college basketball. He had some interesting things to say about NIL, the portal...etc. recently. IF there was a snowball's chance of landing that guy....He is the closest thing to a sure thing that exists.

I can't envision Donavon coming back to the college game, but even if he did it wouldn't be a place like IU. I could see him at UK, or similar.

• Angry
He is a college coach, trying to be an NBA coach. Taking away the 2 years he was rebuilding UF, in 17 seasons at UF and won 72% of this games. 8 sweet 16s, 7 Elite Eights, 4 final fours (where he won 3 of those games) and 2 national titles. Only twice did he not make the tournament and advanced to the quarterfinal and semifinal of the NIT those years. At only 58yrs of age, and a rejuvenation for the college game, he would be an absolute home run hire.
He got lucky with one great recruiting class that decided to stay 4 years. That's pretty much his resume.

• Haha
I guess if we're talking realistic expectations, the first question that needs answered is do you believe IU is really ready to move on?

I can't envision Donavon coming back to the college game, but even if he did it wouldn't be a place like IU. I could see him at UK, or similar.
Could be...the new portal world does change coaching dynamics quite a lot. It chased Jay Wright out of coaching. But Donovan isn't yet 60...and I could see him wanting a similar contract to his last Bulls contract...somewhere. I kinda doubt he'd get that in the NBA again...maybe though? But he'd, for sure, get at least that in college, probably more than that.

I think IU would be just as likely a landing spot if he was open for college as anywhere else...Louisville would scare me a little bit. But I'd become a "run Dolson out of town" type guy if Louisville got him, and we either didn't try, or weren't able to convince him on IU.

I guess if we're talking realistic expectations, the first question that needs answered is do you believe IU is really ready to move on?
Or...Is IU ready, willing, and able to move on from Woody?

I'm sure the answer to that, for all 3 of those questions within a question, is some are and some aren't. Just depends on what the important ones think.

He got lucky with one great recruiting class that decided to stay 4 years. That's pretty much his resume.
So by that incredible insight, good ol Woody just needs to get lucky and have any of his great recruiting classes stick around for 4 years? Cool. Let the good times roll!

I'm sure the answer to that, for all 3 of those questions within a question, is some are and some aren't. Just depends on what the important ones think.
Here's where I become really unsure of the workings of the whole thing. I'm sure you'll need a majority of the BOT to say they're down with it. Does Buckner, as BOT chair have veto power in a matter like this? Would Buckner really try to.block such a move?

Just my opinion that Whitten probably isn't loving the current state. Dolson probably isn't either. Can he sell it to the big donors? Again?

• Wow
Here's where I become really unsure of the workings of the whole thing. I'm sure you'll need a majority of the BOT to say they're down with it. Does Buckner, as BOT chair have veto power in a matter like this? Would Buckner really try to.block such a move?

Just my opinion that Whitten probably isn't loving the current state. Dolson probably isn't either. Can he sell it to the big donors? Again?
A very, very different dynamic this time...Dolson would be firing a man he himself hired, and very recently gave a 30ish percent raise to.

So many different variables, psychology, etc... that goes in to this. But to answer your question...no clue?

So much depends on how the original hire of Woody went down, and then how the raise went down. If Dolson was pushing for the hire, and then the raise...I could see the BOT/President having the stance that both Dolson and Woody need to be out. But obviously if rumors are true, and Buckner was influential in all the Woody decisions...that could give Dolson an "out".

And in that case, if he were to make a case to Whitten and the BOT, right now, that a change needs to be made...I find it hard to believe any of them could argue otherwise all that much.

If he can, he’s a helluva salesman. Surely he can’t keep dipping out of the same well over and over without the risk of it running dry?

Reactions: Vern Pain
I’d guess with bball in this current state, revenue (donations, ticket sales, merch, etc.) is going to decrease several million $. Just a 10% decrease would be $3-4M. Maintaining this current course is already losing money,

Then there is NIL. Our NIL sponsors may be much less interested in supporting Woody after seeing what he got them this season. That’s a killer. The spring portal may be grim prospects with limited NIL. When Allen left there was not much NIL for Allen but there was NIL for the new guy.

Then there is a brand damage (not great when your school is always losing and out of the national conversation) and people screaming.

All of this forces action, or else everyone endures the ongoing problems, which is pretty painful!

Next coach? I don’t know, but something more like Cig but from a big school. They bring their whole proven program/process to IU. That’s known staff that have worked together, deep recruiting connections, and some immediate players (xfers and recruits). No more risk of a coach making a leap to a big program, or making the leap to college, or needing to figure out staff and connections.

Brad would be the one exception to this because he is Boy Wonder. Whoever we pick we have our NIL back on side to get that coach to sign and then we are off. Probably want this done by mid-March with the portal. Good luck Scott, you made your bed on this one.

Last edited:
I’d guess with bball in this current state, revenue (donations, ticket sales, merch, etc.) is going to decrease several million $. Just a 10% decrease would be $3-4M. Maintaining this current course is already losing money,

Then there is NIL. Our NIL sponsors may be much less interested in supporting Woody after seeing what he got them this season. That’s a killer. The spring portal may be grim prospects with limited NIL. When Allen left there was not much NIL for Allen but there was NIL for the new guy.

Then there is a brand damage and people screaming. All of this forces action.

Next coach? I don’t know, but something more like Cig but from a big school. They bring their whole proven program/process to IU. That’s known staff that have worked together, deep recruiting connections, and some immediate players (xfers and recruits). No more risk of a coach making a leap to a big program, or making the leap to college. Brad would be the one exception to this because he is Boy Wonder.
He’s also a self-titled “Mass-Hole.” I’m still not quite healed from that slam. Totally uncalled for and classless. But that’s about the only public misstep I’ve ever heard him make.

Really? You don’t know Fred Hoiberg’s nickname from his time at Iowa State? Might explain some things about the depth of your basketball knowledge.
All I know about Fred hoiberg is he's a failed pro coach. We already have one of those.

For those that aren’t I’d be interested in their current take on the state of the program and how they see Woodson turning it around

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT