ADVERTISEMENT

2020-21 Roster

MikeHoncho69

Sophomore
Jan 15, 2018
Please feel free to pick this apart, call me an idiot, tell me to focus on the current season or anything else that may come to mind.

Devonte Green and De'Ron Davis will both graduate. Additionally, my gut tells me Justin Smith and Damezi Anderson will both transfer, which is reflected in the breakdown below:

- Joey Brunk (senior)
- Al Durham (senior)
- Race Thompson (RS junior)
- Rob Phinisee (junior)
- Jerome Hunter (RS sophomore)
- Trayce Jackson-Davis (sophomore)
- Armaan Franklin (sophomore)
- Anthony Leal (freshman)
- Trey Galloway (freshman)
- Jordan Geronimo (freshman)
- open scholarship
- open scholarship
- open scholarship

Archie Miller has stated on the record that he'll be seeking a grad transfer after the season, which would fill the 11th scholarship slot.

There are a number of possibilities of what he would choose to do with the final two scholarship slots. Could the Hoosiers end up signing Khristian Lander if he reclassifies to the 2020 class? Who knows. I could also see Archie leaving those two slots open for the loaded 2021 class.

Just food for thought.

Reactions: ufo33
Imagine Justin as a co-captain next year with the C & C.

Never underestimate the allure of the Candy Stripes.

I think Damezi transfers for more playing time. And Justin Smith stays. Smith appears to have adjusted his game and found his niche at IU. Justin Smith is also an excellent student.

Smith will be back.
Not that I'm in love with his total game.
But he'll be one of the top 5 defensive guy's in the Big next year.

3 big unknowns....

1. Smith- still not buying this rumor; very rare for a 10pt/5 reb ,two year starter to Tx their last yr, knowing he has starting slot locked up again. CAM actually NEEDS him next yr.

2. Incoming grad transfer....We need a Max B joining our team next year. (not a Fitz or Newkirk). Would be a huge plus

3. Lander rumors...will he reclass? will he go to IU?

Damezi is gone. His playing time has shrunk to zero. With the incoming class, there is no future for him here.

He won’t leave. Anderson won’t stay, and I doubt they’ll improve the roster much with anyone else.
I'm not sure how you intended that remark to be interpreted but if Anderson leaves there will be a tremendous opportunity to improve the roster significantly - assuming that scholly can be used to find a transfer perimeter shooter (with immediate eligibility). Now actually landing that player is an entirely different matter.

Has anyone asked Archie about Damezi recently, or is that one of those "If you ask it, you'll never get another question answered," things?

We’re depending heavily on grad transfers no matter how you look at it. That’s not a top half Big Ten roster by any stretch of the imagination.

I just want to know who is going to start at the 4 & 5 in 2021

I would guess Race starts at the 4 if we're looking exclusively at players on the roster but have a feeling Kaufman or Furst would be day 1 starters at either the 4 and 5 if they commit. If Hunter could put on weight he could be a nice option as a stretch 4 in certain lineups with his ability to shoot from the perimeter, but my guess is that the 4 and or 5 are still in high school.

We’re depending heavily on grad transfers no matter how you look at it. That’s not a top half Big Ten roster by any stretch of the imagination.

Why do you say that? IU only loses 1 player that averaged more than 10 mpg this year. A sophomore TJD should be preseason All-B10 and we'd likely start 3 seniors and a junior unless Lander reclassifies and commits early and that's another 5* in the back court. Yes Archie will have the luxury of looking at some GT's or a transfer that gets an immediate waiver, but I really like the make up and direction of where this team is going.

I'm not sure how you intended that remark to be interpreted but if Anderson leaves there will be a tremendous opportunity to improve the roster significantly - assuming that scholly can be used to find a transfer perimeter shooter (with immediate eligibility). Now actually landing that player is an entirely different matter.
Assumptions are synonymous with the “ifs” you chided another poster for using. Late graduate transfers are the 80 foot heave at the buzzer method of roster construction. They get lots of attention when they work but the actual success rate is quite low.

Why do you say that? IU only loses 1 player that averaged more than 10 mpg this year. A sophomore TJD should be preseason All-B10 and we'd likely start 3 seniors and a junior unless Lander reclassifies and commits early and that's another 5* in the back court. Yes Archie will have the luxury of looking at some GT's or a transfer that gets an immediate waiver, but I really like the make up and direction of where this team is going.
He doesn’t do that thinking thing. He’s all in on negative and stupid.

This team still has a chance to finish in the top half of the Big Ten this season. They will be better next season. A lot better if Lander reclassified and commits or Miller picks up a solid grad transfer guard. I really like the direction too.

We’d only have one above average Big Ten starter. That’s TJD. Everyone else would be below average for their positions. Lander isn’t coming to IU.

So that puts pressure on the staff to get transfer starters. And hopefully a couple of them.

You mean that's your opinion....

Billy Donovan in town?

Speaking in absolutes has been devastating for your credibility here.

Next season we're fine. It's the following season everyone should worry about. Only Race will remain down low. We need a top 5 class in 2021 at minimum.

Reactions: .Gerdis
We’d only have one above average Big Ten starter. That’s TJD. Everyone else would be below average for their positions. Lander isn’t coming to IU.

So that puts pressure on the staff to get transfer starters. And hopefully a couple of them.
and if the staff does get those transfers, and we have a great season...you'll be all for it and sing their praises? And the team's coach? RIght? Right?

Bullshit.

Has anyone asked Archie about Damezi recently, or is that one of those "If you ask it, you'll never get another question answered," things?
Anderson's minutes in conference play answer the question. No need to ask Archie about it.

I'm excited about next year. I would expect all of the following will improve a lot if they keep their health.

TJD, Race, Hunter, Franklin, and Phin.

If they can win 3 of the final 4 they might wind up in the top half of the Big 10 this year.

Really? They're not playing against the 95 Bulls. They will have a good team, next year. Sit back and enjoy it, because it will probably be a few years before it happens again.

3 big unknowns....

1. Smith- still not buying this rumor; very rare for a 10pt/5 reb ,two year starter to Tx their last yr, knowing he has starting slot locked up again. CAM actually NEEDS him next yr.

2. Incoming grad transfer....We need a Max B joining our team next year. (not a Fitz or Newkirk). Would be a huge plus

3. Lander rumors...will he reclass? will he go to IU?

Damezi is gone. His playing time has shrunk to zero. With the incoming class, there is no future for him here.
1. I understand your point about Smith having been a multi-year starter. It seems to me Smith has had some difficulty buying in to Archie's program. However, if he consistently displays the type of ruggedness and toughness he did against Penn State, I'd hope he would stick around for next season.

2. If Archie is able to secure a commitment from a proven three-point shooter grad transfer who would space the floor, that would be an extremely positive development for the roster. I believe the jury is still out on his ability to accomplish this due to how the Evan Fitzner experiment turned out.

3. I'd take Lander in a heartbeat if he does indeed reclassify to the 2020 class. I'm banking on his relationship with Galloway and Leal from Indiana Elite AAU as giving IU the edge. Does that mean IU signs him? No one knows at this point, but it's fun to think about.

DA is a logical transfer. If the rest come back, they still need at least one more PG and an athletic big that is not a complete project. The PG would help take the burden off Rob and a big that can move and cover a larger area would help immediately. Plus, they only get one more year of TJD. Better start preparing for it sooner than later.

I'm excited about next year. I would expect all of the following will improve a lot if they keep their health.

TJD, Race, Hunter, Franklin, and Phin.

If they can win 3 of the final 4 they might wind up in the top half of the Big 10 this year.
If IU signs Lander, imagine a starting five of:

- Lander
- Phinisee
- Hunter
- Thompson
- Jackson-Davis

It's nothing but speculation at this point, but, man, that would be a hell of a lineup.

Let's pump the brakes on Lander starting right away if he were to reclassify.

He'd be way behind coming in. For Lander to even qualify, he'd have to take summer school, so he wouldn't even show up until August. Would he play, absolutely. Do you think he going to overtake Rob, the minute he steps onto the court, I highly doubt that.

Lander is good, but as of right now, he's not a one and done like some people think.

He'd be way behind coming in. For Lander to even qualify, he'd have to take summer school, so he wouldn't even show up until August. Would he play, absolutely. Do you think he going to overtake Rob, the minute he steps onto the court, I highly doubt that.

Lander is good, but as of right now, he's not a one and done like some people think.
I don't think he'd overtake Phinisee by any stretch of the imagination. If anything, I believe Lander would be an excellent complementary player alongside Phinisee. That would allow Phinisee to be a floor general while allowing Lander to be a pure play-maker.

I think Damezi transfers for more playing time. And Justin Smith stays. Smith appears to have adjusted his game and found his niche at IU. Justin Smith is also an excellent student.
I agree with this. Smith plays more than 30 minutes a game so obviously valued by Archie. He stays.
Damezi does leave.

I don't think he'd overtake Phinisee by any stretch of the imagination. If anything, I believe Lander would be an excellent complementary player alongside Phinisee. That would allow Phinisee to be a floor general while allowing Lander to be a pure play-maker.
honestly
I agree with this. Smith plays more than 30 minutes a game so obviously valued by Archie. He stays.
Damezi does leave.
that's what I'm betting on as of today. Makes sense for everyone involved.

Reactions: MrBing
If IU signs Lander, imagine a starting five of:

- Lander
- Phinisee
- Hunter
- Thompson
- Jackson-Davis

It's nothing but speculation at this point, but, man, that would be a hell of a lineup.

Smith is going to start if he comes back. I like Hunter's potential more than the next guy, but Smith is still a night and day better overall player than Hunter and a guy you need in the lineup.

Smith is going to start if he comes back. I like Hunter's potential more than the next guy, but Smith is still a night and day better overall player than Hunter and a guy you need in the lineup.
I see what you're saying. I really like Hunter's three-point shooting ability, which, if improved next season, would space the floor. Smith certainly has the potential to be a so-called "glue guy" if he can be a consistent high-level defender and a player that crashes the boards relentlessly. That's his role on this team. I've seen Archie hang his head in frustration when Smith takes jump shots because that's simply not what he's being asked to do. He simply needs to know his role.

Why would Smith transfer? Is he graduating early? I HIGHLY doubt that one.

Please feel free to pick this apart, call me an idiot, tell me to focus on the current season or anything else that may come to mind.

Devonte Green and De'Ron Davis will both graduate. Additionally, my gut tells me Justin Smith and Damezi Anderson will both transfer, which is reflected in the breakdown below:

- Joey Brunk (senior)
- Al Durham (senior)
- Race Thompson (RS junior)
- Rob Phinisee (junior)
- Jerome Hunter (RS sophomore)
- Trayce Jackson-Davis (sophomore)
- Armaan Franklin (sophomore)
- Anthony Leal (freshman)
- Trey Galloway (freshman)
- Jordan Geronimo (freshman)
- open scholarship
- open scholarship
- open scholarship

Archie Miller has stated on the record that he'll be seeking a grad transfer after the season, which would fill the 11th scholarship slot.

There are a number of possibilities of what he would choose to do with the final two scholarship slots. Could the Hoosiers end up signing Khristian Lander if he reclassifies to the 2020 class? Who knows. I could also see Archie leaving those two slots open for the loaded 2021 class.

Just food for thought.

I see what you're saying. I really like Hunter's three-point shooting ability, which, if improved next season, would space the floor. Smith certainly has the potential to be a so-called "glue guy" if he can be a consistent high-level defender and a player that crashes the boards relentlessly. That's his role on this team. I've seen Archie hang his head in frustration when Smith takes jump shots because that's simply not what he's being asked to do. He simply needs to know his role.

True about Hunter. But while he has a very good looking stroke, still needs to become a much more consistent shooter before it's worth starting him over Smith. Smith is a better defender, rebounder, bigger, stronger, and more athletic. Hunter definitely more versatile but still needs to prove it at this level.

Lander's issue is he's what, 160 pound sopping wet? He gets pushed around by physical players so reclassifing early to play tackle basketball in the big ten would be the absolute worst case scenario for him.

Whitt out of the Carolina's is a more realistic option. Still he's not a big dude either.

Next year's rotation is probably going to be the five that was on the floor down the stretch the last two games (TJD, Race, Smith, Durham and Rob) with the upside coming from Hunter developing into the versatile threat who could play the 2, 3 or 4 along with Franklin becoming a more physical defensive guard who can play the 1 or 2.

Watch out for Geronimo. He exploded onto the scene last year and is currently beating in HS (granted the HS competition probably isn't the best).

Geronimo is insanely athletic that is hitting from three. He and Hunter should give us two versatile wings over the next three years.

True about Hunter. But while he has a very good looking stroke, still needs to become a much more consistent shooter before it's worth starting him over Smith. Smith is a better defender, rebounder, bigger, stronger, and more athletic. Hunter definitely more versatile but still needs to prove it at this level.
For sure. With Hunter having been completely away from the game last season while injured, it's understandable he's still finding his legs in the college game. If he reaches his potential next season or the following, I can see him being a wing player that slashes aggressively to the bucket while also being a spot-up shooter.

Lander's issue is he's what, 160 pound sopping wet? He gets pushed around by physical players so reclassifing early to play tackle basketball in the big ten would be the absolute worst case scenario for him.

Whitt out of the Carolina's is a more realistic option. Still he's not a big dude either.

Next year's rotation is probably going to be the five that was on the floor down the stretch the last two games (TJD, Race, Smith, Durham and Rob) with the upside coming from Hunter developing into the versatile threat who could play the 2, 3 or 4 along with Franklin becoming a more physical defensive guard who can play the 1 or 2.

Watch out for Geronimo. He exploded onto the scene last year and is currently beating in HS (granted the HS competition probably isn't the best).

Geronimo is insanely athletic that is hitting from three. He and Hunter should give us two versatile wings over the next three years.

Geranimo's high school has the high school three point line and college three point line. From reports, he's been shooting most of his threes from the college line and hitting at a pretty good clip.

Geranimo's high school has the high school three point line and college three point line. From reports, he's been shooting most of his threes from the college line and hitting at a pretty good clip.

Again the competition isn't great but this was a game where he went for 29 pts, 15 boards, 6-6 from the ft line, 4 blocks and 4 steals.

And he's still considered to be raw and growing (which is why he went from being unranked to around 70 ish after last summer).

He's beasting against what seems to be weak competition but you can see his bounce, athleticism and his nice, smooth shot in this clip.

Do you guys really not understand, that this is “TwinDegrees2”.

I know it for a fact. I followed his hints. And a GBI guy told me. But it should be easy to pick up. Every single thing he says is “Negative-IU.” A lot of us say negative stuff. This guy does it 99.9% of the time.

Reactions: jimmygoiu

Appears that he would need to add a good bit of weight/strength to his frame.

Do you guys really not understand, that this is “TwinDegrees2”.

I know it for a fact. I followed his hints. And a GBI guy told me. But it should be easy to pick up. Every single thing he says is “Negative-IU.” A lot of us say negative stuff. This guy does it 99.9% of the time.
I don't know who TwinDegrees2 is but I know fpeaugh is all negative all the time and not smart. Just a troll but his remarks are so insane he's funny.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT