ADVERTISEMENT

2009 (H1N1) Flu Pandemic

mohoosier

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 6, 2001
Florida
Although it was only 11 years ago, I don’t really remember the H1N1 Pandemic being as bad as it was, do you? Did you realize it infected almost 61 million Americans?

From...https://www.healthline.com/health-n...rus-compared-to-past-outbreaks#20142016-Ebola

Back in 2009, a new type of flu — an H1N1 strain — popped up and people panicked because we didn’t have a vaccine and the novel strain was spreading fast.

Like COVID-19, there was no immunity at the start of the outbreak. We did have antivirals to facilitate recovery, and by the end of 2009, we had a vaccine which — combined with higher levels of immunity — would provide protection in future flu seasons.

Still, it claimed over 12,000 lives in the United States.
  • Key symptoms: fever, chills, cough, body aches
  • First detection: January 2009 in Mexico; April 2009Trusted Source in United States
  • Global cases: about 24 percent of global population; 60.8 million U.S. cases
  • Global deaths: over 284,000; 12,469 in the United States; death rate was .02 percent
  • Most affected groups: children had the highest rates; 47 percentTrusted Source of children between 5 and 19 developed symptoms compared to 11 percent of people ages 65 and up
  • Treatment available: antiviralsTrusted Source (oseltamivir and zanamivir); most people recovered without complications
  • Vaccine available: H1N1 vaccine research started April 2009 and a vaccine became available December 2009
  • End of pandemic: August 2010

It wasn't so bad simply because it was better managed from the start and till the end from the very top.

From handover from Bush to Obama. Methodical and not political. Not bombastic, factual. No emotions.

It makes a massive difference. Just procedures and next steps.

No need for daily press meetings and the inevitable buffoonery.

I am witnessing it here. I can't vote for these feckers here but when the shit hits the fan, they are pretty reliable, technocratic in their approach. You get the sense they know what they are doing. They will tell you the next steps and they will mitigate the situation. Incremental.

You do get the occasional pussy minister (;)you know who you are) cry on TV when talking about about the stresses,sacrifices and struggles the healthcare/frontline workers have had to endure the past four months.

Plus there is a pandemic playbook to follow -- that was developed since the SARs pandemic in 2003. No need to panic and knee-jerk around. Just escalate if required.

Like now, with our imports being the main source of cases, try have escalated. No school closing, lockdown. Only quarantine for every visitor that enters, restaurants have curfews and cinemas closed.

And oh, my bloody gym at my condo has been locked down!! Feck!

This is sglowrider now:

giphy.gif

Otherwise, Before / After

Last edited:
Reactions: Ohio Guy
It wasn't so bad simply because it was better managed from the start and till the end from the very top.

From handover from Bush to Obama. Methodical and not political. Not bombastic, factual. No emotions.

It makes a massive difference.

Just procedures and next steps. No need for daily press meetings and the inevitable buffoonery.

vaccine was available in 7 months for H1N1. Fauci is saying year + for COVID 19. That doesn’t smack if bombastic politics to me.

Reactions: stollcpa

I am witnessing it here. I can't vote for these feckers here but when the shit hits the fan, they are pretty reliable, technocratic in their approach. You get the sense they know what they are doing. They will tell you the next steps and they will mitigate the situation. Incremental.

You do get the occasional pussy minister (;)you know who you are) cry on TV when talking about about the stresses,sacrifices and struggles the healthcare/frontline workers have had to endure the past four months.

Plus there is a pandemic playbook to follow -- that was developed since the SARs pandemic in 2003. No need to panic and knee-jerk around. Just escalate if required.
Also, it wasn't a very deadly strain, which was fortunate, since it spread so easily.

There was some immunity in the older population who were apparently exposed to something similar at some point. The same thing happened with the 1918 pandemic although it was much more deadly among the younger group. With the Flu it seems the older you are the more chance you have experienced something similar enough that you can fight it off.

It was very contagious and (fortunately) not very deadly

Most of the infected fought it off without knowing that they had it. Only later blood tests for antibodies show how far it spread, worldwide.

This contagion is not so benign, and if it spreads to a billion-plus people like H1N1 did, then yikes

Although it was only 11 years ago, I don’t really remember the H1N1 Pandemic being as bad as it was, do you? Did you realize it infected almost 61 million Americans?....
The H1N1 stats are also for the spring flu season, the fall flu season, and the next years spring season. So 3 complete cycles. Coronav is still in cycle 1, in the US. Although we don't know how cyclic Coronav is.

Although it was only 11 years ago, I don’t really remember the H1N1 Pandemic being as bad as it was, do you? Did you realize it infected almost 61 million Americans?

From...https://www.healthline.com/health-n...rus-compared-to-past-outbreaks#20142016-Ebola

Back in 2009, a new type of flu — an H1N1 strain — popped up and people panicked because we didn’t have a vaccine and the novel strain was spreading fast.

Like COVID-19, there was no immunity at the start of the outbreak. We did have antivirals to facilitate recovery, and by the end of 2009, we had a vaccine which — combined with higher levels of immunity — would provide protection in future flu seasons.

Still, it claimed over 12,000 lives in the United States.
  • Key symptoms: fever, chills, cough, body aches
  • First detection: January 2009 in Mexico; April 2009Trusted Source in United States
  • Global cases: about 24 percent of global population; 60.8 million U.S. cases
  • Global deaths: over 284,000; 12,469 in the United States; death rate was .02 percent
  • Most affected groups: children had the highest rates; 47 percentTrusted Source of children between 5 and 19 developed symptoms compared to 11 percent of people ages 65 and up
  • Treatment available: antiviralsTrusted Source (oseltamivir and zanamivir); most people recovered without complications
  • Vaccine available: H1N1 vaccine research started April 2009 and a vaccine became available December 2009
  • End of pandemic: August 2010
Do you realize that 2% is 100 times as much as .02%? If 60 million Americans get this, roughly 12 million will need to be hospitalized and 1.2 million will die.

Last edited:

Like now, with our imports being the main source of cases, try have escalated. No school closing, lockdown. Only quarantine for every visitor that enters, restaurants have curfews and cinemas closed.

And oh, my bloody gym at my condo has been locked down!! Feck!

This is sglowrider now:

giphy.gif

Otherwise, Before / After

Sorry sir. None of what you say here makes any logic and is just another overt shot at Trump.

It spread to dozens of millions rapidly. I don’t know how you jump to “it was better managed at the turnover” because Obama and Bush. It’s just silly.

The virus wasn’t as catastrophic to the body as is SARS-COV-2. Period.

You're free to rip Trump all you want, Lord knows I do, but at least do it when it makes sense.

Reactions: Spartans9312
At the time I was more concerned with keeping the lights on.

Besides, it was an order of magnitude less virulent, and I was 11 years younger.

Today, I'm in better shape financially, at least in the near term. And while I've never been overly health conscious or risk averse, this pandemic has me much more concerned. I'm not going into total lockdown, but I'm taking the common sense precautions that every should.

It was very contagious and (fortunately) not very deadly

Most of the infected fought it off without knowing that they had it. Only later blood tests for antibodies show how far it spread, worldwide.

This contagion is not so benign, and if it spreads to a billion-plus people like H1N1 did, then yikes
No one knows the denominator as experts are even saying this can be contracted and asymptomatic. So, we may never know the mortality rate on this one. The symptoms can run the spectrum of nothing on one end, to death on the other. The only “cases” we will ever really know are the severe ones that end up at the hospital. It’s very possible that millions have had it and simply didn’t know.

No one knows the denominator as experts are even saying this can be contracted and asymptomatic. So, we may never know the mortality rate on this one. The symptoms can run the spectrum of nothing on one end, to death on the other. The only “cases” we will ever really know are the severe ones that end up at the hospital. It’s very possible that millions have had it and simply didn’t know.

They can run random wide spread testing to find out approx what % were infected. I think that's what antibody testing tells you. Not 100% on that. Maybe someone here has better knowledge.

OS just explained to you how we will know.....antibody testing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT