ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Johnson was kicked off the team at Pitt

Status
Not open for further replies.

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
Seems like he has been at least as big a problem at Indiana.

If Woody gets rid of Johnson it will be further evidence that he is trying to reestablish the RMK culture. If X stays it will look like the Crean culture.

I imagine Woody is scrambling to find another point guard and keep the rest of the roster intact.

I feel sorry for X but the Hoosiers can't afford to make a big bet on his character.

I am posting this as a separate thread to focus on the baggage he arrived with. Does anybody think this is going to have a happy ending if he stays? That's just the reality of the situation.

My concern is Woodson wants to establish a family atmosphere. I am not sure we shouldn't come along side the young man and help him through this so that he might grow and become better in spite of it. Kicking him off the team leaves a bad taste in my mouth for this reason but I trust the staff know more than I do and will do what's right. If X is not willing and has the potential to corrupt other team members then he would need to be released. Coach Woodson will have to make that call.

This doesn't need its own thread. They mutually agreed to move on. Let's also not read into how he left Pitt. Here is the coaches statement from Pitt. “The Pitt men’s basketball program and Xavier Johnson have mutually agreed that it is in everyone’s best interest to part ways,” Capel said in a statement. “He will enter then transfer portal and is no longer a member of our program. We wish him the best of luck as he looks to continue his career elsewhere.”

There has been a lot of drama at Pitt. Trey McGowens transferred to IA and I think they are down to 6 scholarship players. Capel is on the hot hot seat. I am not saying ignore the Pitt debacle but there were a LOT of issues that resulted in a lot of players leaving and decommitting. Remember incoming IU Freshman Hood Schifino decommitted from Pitt to come to IU. There is a lot going on there.

Woodson can decide if a curfew violation and a speeding ticket requires IU to move on. Let's not assume we know he is a bad influence on the team. I haven't heard that from any players or coaches. Some people on here need let Woody make the decision. He'll have to live with it either way.

Last edited:
X is going to walk the line, it’s just who he is as a person. It’s fine if you can harness it with good judgement, something he obviously struggles with. I said about 5 games in that X would be Woodys biggest challenge as a coach. It’s painfully obvious, that’s why he got booed. I would put the odds of him doing something again after this at about 60/40. Hopefully he turns the corner.

His actions are incredibly stupid. Sometimes you can’t fix stupid. I’m not saying he IS stupid.

I honestly think he likes the attention. Maybe this will give him some perspective and he will be the best pg in the B1G next year. One can hope. He has the talent.

Last edited:
Woodson isn’t worried one ounce about RMK’s culture. It’s about winning games. He’ll keep X because it helps us win. As he should.

Has Woody ever gotten a speeding ticket? Has any of us? Lol. I'm amazed and amused by how much negative talk this has generated. As far as has been reported, no drugs, alcohol, assaults on women or animals was part of the incident. Let's move on. The dumbest person in the whole episode is the poor schmuck who switched seats with X.

Reactions: VanPastorMan
Has Woody ever gotten a speeding ticket? Has any of us? Lol. I'm amazed and amused by how much negative talk this has generated. As far as has been reported, no drugs, alcohol, assaults on women or animals was part of the incident. Let's move on. The dumbest person in the whole episode is the poor schmuck who switched seats with X.
Yep, in HS, I got pulled over for doing 75 in a 35, went home and told my parents (both highly strict rule followers) and they just laughed and said don’t do it again, I did some community service and it was expunged from my record

Reactions: Lillyr66
Looks like our Mr. Johnson is familiar with Speeding and Reckless.

2018 - At least it was a posted 65mph.... as opposed to a posted 40mph

Last edited:
Reactions: bub-rub
This doesn't need its own thread. They mutually agreed to move on. Let's also not read into how he left Pitt. Here is the coaches statement from Pitt. “The Pitt men’s basketball program and Xavier Johnson have mutually agreed that it is in everyone’s best interest to part ways,” Capel said in a statement. “He will enter then transfer portal and is no longer a member of our program. We wish him the best of luck as he looks to continue his career elsewhere.”

There has been a lot of drama at Pitt. Trey McGowens transferred to IA and I think they are down to 6 scholarship players. Capel is on the hot hot seat. I am not saying ignore the Pitt debacle but there were a LOT of issues that resulted in a lot of players leaving and decommitting. Remember incoming IU Freshman Hood Schifino decommitted from Pitt to come to IU. There is a lot going on there.

Woodson can decide if a curfew violation and a speeding ticket requires IU to move on. Let's not assume we know he is a bad influence on the team. I haven't heard that from any players or coaches. Some people on here need let Woody make the decision. He'll have to live with it either way.
Thanks for taking the time to post the Pitt response. Woody needs a copy of that response for future reference.

Yep, in HS, I got pulled over for doing 75 in a 35, went home and told my parents (both highly strict rule followers) and they just laughed and said don’t do it again, I did some community service and it was expunged from my record
I believe the biggest part of the issue is that he did not just do some speeding... as indicated by the fact that he didn't just go home and tell his parents, but spent a night in jail after being arrested for non-compliance.

Nothing like a thread to overhype a kid as a cancer for doing something dumb.

X is a bit of loose cannon. What he did off the court was stupid and thankfully he did not end up like Ruggs of the Raiders. Hope he stays and learns from his mistake.

The media guy in the video said the Pitt coach needs to get control of the program. Seems like that is what Woody is doing this off season. There were a lot of parts that came from different places last off season. Not all of it was going to work.

Hope he stays and learns from his mistake.
I'll leave it up to Woodson to determine if he stays, but is there any evidence he's learning? The guy seems to be building a clear pattern for being stupid in fast cars.

If i were Woody I would tell him he may not drive other than to practice and back. That would be one the conditions of staying on the team.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: PurdueGator2

If Woody gets rid of Johnson it will be further evidence that he is trying to reestablish the RMK culture. If X stays it will look like the Crean culture.

I imagine Woody is scrambling to find another point guard and keep the rest of the roster intact.

I feel sorry for X but the Hoosiers can't afford to make a big bet on his character.

I am posting this as a separate thread to focus on the baggage he arrived with. Does anybody think this is going to have a happy ending if he stays? That's just the reality of the situation.

"Xavier Johnson was kicked off the team at Pitt"​

Are you just making shit up in an attempt to make X look worse?

Woodson isn’t worried one ounce about RMK’s culture. It’s about winning games. He’ll keep X because it helps us win. As he should.
I do think he will probably keep him but if its a three strikes and you are out I would not be shocked if he does not las the year. He would basically be on double secret probation is my guess.

X is going to walk the line, it’s just who he is as a person. It’s fine if you can harness it with good judgement, something he obviously struggles with. I said about 5 games in that X would be Woodys biggest challenge as a coach. It’s painfully obvious, that’s why he got booed. I would put the odds of him doing something again after this at about 60/40. Hopefully he turns the corner.

His actions are incredibly stupid. Sometimes you can’t fix stupid. I’m not saying he IS stupid.

I honestly think he likes the attention. Maybe this will give him some perspective and he will be the best pg in the B1G next years. One can hope. He has the talent.
I am. If you resist arrest you are being stupid.

joker-oh-goody.gif

I believe the biggest part of the issue is that he did not just do some speeding... as indicated by the fact that he didn't just go home and tell his parents, but spent a night in jail after being arrested for non-compliance.
Night in jail? Probably more like an hour or 2 sitting in a police station office

You wrote, "the baggage he arrived with."

Sorry, but I believe Woodson has completely atoned for the mistakes he made in 1978 while Knight's player. He didn't bring any baggage,

For the last time, will you please piss up a rope and disappear? No need for Boiler trolls on this board
As long as the Mods continue to allow FeePee, Birnk/ordy and others to come back here after their suspensions are up only to trash threads, it won't stop.

Maybe Woody can get X an NIL deal with an electric bike manufacturer. Trek and Specialized make some nice ones. I think they top out around 30mph and are a great balance between exercise/efficiency. Plus they are eco friendly, etc
Or one of those scooters with a 25 mph governor on it.

There are more than two cultures and not everything 18-23 year olds do is a referendum on them.

My concern is Woodson wants to establish a family atmosphere. I am not sure we shouldn't come along side the young man and help him through this so that he might grow and become better in spite of it. Kicking him off the team leaves a bad taste in my mouth for this reason but I trust the staff know more than I do and will do what's right. If X is not willing and has the potential to corrupt other team members then he would need to be released. Coach Woodson will have to make that call.
I agree. Woodson knows this kid better than we do. He knows his parents. X came from a military family. My experience is his father is going to be X's bigger problem. Like his father, I hope Woody makes sure a lesson was learned and what will happen if there is another incident. Then give him a hug and start planning for next year. Punishment will be up to Woody. X needs to accept the punishment with the knowledge someone cared about him enough to work with him and not throw hi, out and look for another portal gem.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT