ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Johnson certainly proved me wrong against Ohio State Saturday night.

McNutt76

Hall of Famer
Sep 1, 2001
I questioned whether Xavier Johnson was ready to play yet after his lackluster performance against Nebraska Wednesday evening. However, he proved me wrong Saturday night against Ohio State. His performance really made a difference for the Hoosiers.

The Hoosiers proved the 3-pointer is one of the most overrated approaches in basketball. They hit five out of 12 3-pointers versus seven of 27 for the Buckeyes. Because they attempted most of their shots from inside the paint, they shot seven more free throws than the Buckeyes. The Hoosiers also hit 46.6% of their field goals versus 36.2% for Ohio State.

IU really began playing better when Malik Reneau started posting up in the paint and overpowering his defenders for most of his 23 points in the second half. It also helped that Johnson and Trey Galloway were doing dribble penetration and breaking down Ohio State's defense. Galloway only had four points, but he did have seven assists. Johnson wound up with 18 points and CJ Gunn came off the bench to get 10 points for the Hoosiers.

It seemed like IU played much better defense in the second half. My assumption is Mike Woodson encouraged them to get more physical and do a better job of contesting Ohio State's 3-point attempts.

I thought it was incredible that the Hoosiers only committed four turnovers because I'm normally thrilled when they only commit 13. I also liked the fact they hit 75 percent of their free throws.

The Hoosiers didn't do a very good job of rebounding against Ohio State because the Buckeyes had 17 more than IU. In my opinion, IU's big men weren't blocking out well enough. Kel'el Ware had eight points and six rebounds for the game, but he seemed to disappear in the second half. Perhaps he was focusing on defending Ohio State's shot attempts in the paint.

What also surprised me last night was the fact Payton Sparks played zero minutes. Does anybody know if he was injured or sick?

I questioned whether Xavier Johnson was ready to play yet after his lackluster performance against Nebraska Wednesday evening. However, he proved me wrong Saturday night against Ohio State. His performance really made a difference for the Hoosiers.

The Hoosiers proved the 3-pointer is one of the most overrated approaches in basketball. They hit five out of 12 3-pointers versus seven of 27 for the Buckeyes. Because they attempted most of their shots from inside the paint, they shot seven more free throws than the Buckeyes. The Hoosiers also hit 46.6% of their field goals versus 36.2% for Ohio State.

IU really began playing better when Malik Reneau started posting up in the paint and overpowering his defenders for most of his 23 points in the second half. It also helped that Johnson and Trey Galloway were doing dribble penetration and breaking down Ohio State's defense. Galloway only had four points, but he did have seven assists. Johnson wound up with 18 points and CJ Gunn came off the bench to get 10 points for the Hoosiers.

It seemed like IU played much better defense in the second half. My assumption is Mike Woodson encouraged them to get more physical and do a better job of contesting Ohio State's 3-point attempts.

I thought it was incredible that the Hoosiers only committed four turnovers because I'm normally thrilled when they only commit 13. I also liked the fact they hit 75 percent of their free throws.

The Hoosiers didn't do a very good job of rebounding against Ohio State because the Buckeyes had 17 more than IU. In my opinion, IU's big men weren't blocking out well enough. Kel'el Ware had eight points and six rebounds for the game, but he seemed to disappear in the second half. Perhaps he was focusing on defending Ohio State's shot attempts in the paint.

What also surprised me last night was the fact Payton Sparks played zero minutes. Does anybody know if he was injured or sick?
Well, lookey who's here! Happy 2024 McNutty!

But, in response to one of your questions, I also wondered about Sparks. I forgot which game it was, but he had one of those late 2023 games where he brought great energy. I thought after that he'd probably be making an appearance in most games. I guess CMW wanted to stay away from two post guys, since I thought Ware sat a lot more of the 2nd half than normal too.

Well, lookey who's here! Happy 2024 McNutty!

But, in response to one of your questions, I also wondered about Sparks. I forgot which game it was, but he had one of those late 2023 games where he brought great energy. I thought after that he'd probably be making an appearance in most games. I guess CMW wanted to stay away from two post guys, since I thought Ware sat a lot more of the 2nd half than normal too.
Ware had a great first half, kkott. I really think Sparks could have used his big and strong body to help block out Ohio State for rebounds. However, I believe IU will be playing much better--if Xavier Johnson can stay healthy.

X has the talent, his issue is good X and then bad X revolving door

You're in my thoughts with the bad family luck lately! Best-

One poster said Sparks looked hurt in warm ups. But Woodson did say he was going to shorten the bench eventually.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier

I was told we are better off without him.

• Wow
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
We are better long term without him, for every decent game he has, there are 10 that will remind you why he has no career ahead of him, probably not even overseas. If I have 1 gripe about Woodson recruiting wise, it's that guards in general have no interest in playing for him
We are better off we the only guard we have that can consistently beat a defender off the dribble to create a shot for himself or others?? I get it though, understanding basketball is difficult….

We are better long term without him, for every decent game he has, there are 10 that will remind you why he has no career ahead of him, probably not even overseas. If I have 1 gripe about Woodson recruiting wise, it's that guards in general have no interest in playing for him

He's only played 13 good games in his career? You have high standards.

We don’t make the tourney in Woodson’s first year without X. He had an up and down start, but from January on he and TJD were easily our best players and carried the team, especially in the BTT. What you saw last night is what he brought each night two years ago in the B10.

Only real disappointment for me was rebounding. OSU had some incredibly lucky bounces off missed shots to pad that stat for them, but poor rebounding fundamentals on IU’s part accounted for the rest of the disparity. That can be improved.

Reactions: MrBing and asindc
We don’t make the tourney in Woodson’s first year without X. He had an up and down start, but from January on he and TJD were easily our best players and carried the team, especially in the BTT. What you saw last night is what he brought each night two years ago in the B10.

Agreed. And was good last year except for Rutgers and Nebraska. His shooting was off a little but the rest of his game was solid.

The argument isn’t about how good he is. It’s about whether or not this team is better off without him. And people who think this team is better off without him don’t know ball.

True. But the other poster made the stupid 1-10 good/bad ratio about X. I was responding to that dumb comment.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion

Yes, rebounding obviously has to get better. But it isn’t just the bigs. That’s a ton of missed 3 pointers by OSU. That means tons of long rebounds. So the guards have to rebound as well.
And it’s been a very popular opinion on here that X wouldn’t make any difference. News for them - X obviously is potentially the engine that could get us an NCAA berth. Cupps just isn’t ready this year. Likely going to see a lot fewer Cupps minutes if CJ keeps playing better. And CJ is a much better defender than Cupps.

X was gassed at the end. He played on guts and determination at the end of the game. I hope to see him more like this as he gets back into playing shape.

X gives us that guy that wants the ball at the end of the game. He's not scared of taking the last shot or being on the FT line. As some have mentioned, he is our best player to beat someone off the dribble.

He isn't perfect and is sometimes too aggressive, but we need a player like him to attack and disrupt the opponents game plan.

X was gassed at the end. He played on guts and determination at the end of the game. I hope to see him more like this as he gets back into playing shape.

X gives us that guy that wants the ball at the end of the game. He's not scared of taking the last shot or being on the FT line. As some have mentioned, he is our best player to beat someone off the dribble.

He isn't perfect and is sometimes too aggressive, but we need a player like him to attack and disrupt the opponents game plan.
Yep, As i said earlier, he is still not 100% but he is a gutty kid.

Reactions: stollcpa

He isn't perfect and is sometimes too aggressive, but we need a player like him to attack and disrupt the opponents game p
Exactly. That is all IU needs out of XJ. He didn't play hero ball and was under control. Like you said, he wasn't overly aggressive.

If XJ can play like that on a more consistent basis and IU can get a little bit out of Gunn, then the backcourt will be a lot stronger.

I was really happy for X. I can't imagine how hard it's been for a kid to keep having to rehab, especially during your last year of play. I'm sure it's been pretty stressful for him. It's easy to forget that even if he's older, he's still a college kid, after all.

Exactly. That is all IU needs out of XJ. He didn't play hero ball and was under control. Like you said, he wasn't overly aggressive.

If XJ can play like that on a more consistent basis and IU can get a little bit out of Gunn, then the backcourt will be a lot stronger.

I was really happy for X. I can't imagine how hard it's been for a kid to keep having to rehab, especially during your last year of play. I'm sure it's been pretty stressful for him. It's easy to forget that even if he's older, he's still a college kid, after all.
He’s got about 10 years life experience in 2.

At lest top shelf ..Difference makers.
The ones that get you deep in March..

Only real disappointment for me was rebounding. OSU had some incredibly lucky bounces off missed shots to pad that stat for them, but poor rebounding fundamentals on IU’s part accounted for the rest of the disparity. That can be improved.
fwiw - Key and Okpara are both very good rebounders. It's one reason Okpara is getting a hard look from pros .Losing that battle doesn't surprise me, giving up 22 off boards though did.

What's really disappointing was that 7 OSU offensive rebounds were team rebounds ... which means they either bounced around players hands or the ball hit the floor .. those are 50/50 balls...

It's obvious IU needs to do a much better job on the long rebounds .. not only the bigs but the wings really need to improve. Mack is fine, Trey and CJ especially have low stats. Cupps has higher numbers per 40. Almost double. .. Quit leaking and get the damn ball first ..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT