ADVERTISEMENT

Woodson needs to go. Zero improvement

Woodson won 21 games last year in year 1 after Indiana won 12 (probably about 15 if not for covid) the year before. He is 8-3 this year with losses to Arizona and Kansas (both could be final 4 teams) and a lost to RU on the road. He has good wins over Xavier and NC. Unless something crazy happens (possibly X being out for a long time) we are probably on our way to 22-25 wins this year.

He has flipped our recruiting and gotten players ranked higher than we have seen in a long time.

TJD, X, Kopp, Bates, Galloway all look like they have improved under Woodson. I suspect with several spots finally open up some playing time we will see others that have improved.

Yet we are already calling for his head 1.5 years in? We have to be the dumbest fan base in the world.
Whoa. Help me see the improvement you see from these guys. Has Trayce hit anything outside of 5 feet yet? Has X cut down on turnovers? Is Kopp consistent? Is there anything Bates does well? Other than hustle his ass off, what exactly has Galloway gotten noticeably better at?

I’m absolutely not in the camp of “Woody needs to go” but to say there’s across the board obvious improvement is a stretch.

Reactions: IndyAuthor
Whoa. Help me see the improvement you see from these guys. Has Trayce hit anything outside of 5 feet yet? Has X cut down on turnovers? Is Kopp consistent? Is there anything Bates does well? Other than hustle his ass off, what exactly has Galloway gotten noticeably better at?

I’m absolutely not in the camp of “Woody needs to go” but to say there’s across the board obvious improvement is a stretch.
TJD seems much better at passing out of double and triple teams and seems to handle the ball much better than last year and way better than 2 seasons ago.

Kopp is shooting 16% better from the field and 11% better from 3. If that isn’t significant improvement in your eyes, I would see an eye doctor. Plus he has been much more willing to try to score on the bounce.

Galloway has cut his TOs in half, doubled his rebounds and is currently shooting 20% better from 3 than last year.

Bates has doubled his points and rebounds from last year and is shooting 9% better from 3.

X has struggled this year to start but many questioned why we even brought him in last year the first 1/4 of the season and he ended the year arguably our best player.

Any other questions?

Woodson won 21 games last year in year 1 after Indiana won 12 (probably about 15 if not for covid) the year before. He is 8-3 this year with losses to Arizona and Kansas (both could be final 4 teams) and a lost to RU on the road. He has good wins over Xavier and NC. Unless something crazy happens (possibly X being out for a long time) we are probably on our way to 22-25 wins this year.

He has flipped our recruiting and gotten players ranked higher than we have seen in a long time.

TJD, X, Kopp, Bates, Galloway all look like they have improved under Woodson. I suspect with several spots finally open up some playing time we will see others that have improved.

Yet we are already calling for his head 1.5 years in? We have to be the dumbest fan base in the world.
I'd agree 22 is the floor which would be hard to imagine but not horrible considering it's the B1G. Will probably win 5 of the next 6 if not all of them.

TJD seems much better at passing out of double and triple teams and seems to handle the ball much better than last year and way better than 2 seasons ago.

Kopp is shooting 16% better from the field and 11% better from 3. If that isn’t significant improvement in your eyes, I would see an eye doctor. Plus he has been much more willing to try to score on the bounce.

Galloway has cut his TOs in half, doubled his rebounds and is currently shooting 20% better from 3 than last year.

Bates has doubled his points and rebounds from last year and is shooting 9% better from 3.

X has struggled this year to start but many questioned why we even brought him in last year the first 1/4 of the season and he ended the year arguably our best player.

Any other questions?
Nicely done

Reactions: Beorik
Woodson needs to be a man and resign. IU is no better than last year and Woodson severely out coached when it matters. No shooters, out of control play, and just terrible effort. Purdue will curb stomp IU twice this year. This team may miss tournament
I haven't seen any improvement in your posts. Are you gonna man up?

Skewed by the mid to late 90's though. up until then we had a big lead in Tournament winning % of all teams.
How many teams in the last 20 years are top 3 and sweet 16 or better every year? Those are lofty almost unstable standards. It’s ridiculous really.

How many teams in the last 20 years are top 3 and sweet 16 or better every year? Those are lofty almost unstable standards. It’s ridiculous really.
I was replying more to the RMK part of it. Different times for sure . Missed a couple more likely championships due to injury but IU was overall probably the dominant program from mid 70s until 93

Man, your bar is stratospheric high. We’ve only been to 3 sweet sixteens in 21 years. I’m just hoping to hang a few final 32 banners.
Last year at this time we were praying that IU would be invited to the dance. This year fans want a deep NCAA run. Expectations frequently exceed reality.

If you can't see it it's probably because you have no clue what you're looking for and the basis of your premise is rooted solely in after-loss butthurt.

Reactions: Spartans9312
I think we can all say we wanted stevens he said no matta said yes but iu backed out we got woodson.

That's why you go to work, that's you practice. . Always striving to get better.

Kansas won the Big 12. 20 of the 24 yrs it existed..
I believe it won 11 in a row..
It's made the NCAA tournament 32 yrs in a row..
Indiana Basketball should strive for the same..
I'm not a get rid of Woodson tommmow.
But I don't see him coaching at 70..He'll be 65 in March..

That’s one team can you name more? UK is one but they haven’t been since 2019 but the B1G is different. No team is top 3 and sweet 16 bound every year. Some of you act like it’s given.

Looks like Dolson needs to go for creating this mess. Two non-existent revenue generating sports. Maybe he needs to bring in another group of chaperones for Grandpa?
This team is actually worse than last year, as unbelievable as that is. Ehhh….no use fretting over a defunct program.
"Chaperones for Grandpa"...Man, I thought I was bitter, but this one cuts to the core. How much longer do you think it will be before the alumni are heard singing "The old gray mare just ain't what he used to be, ain't what he..."

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: DANC and Willdog7

Kopp’s abilities/contributions have likely been maxed out by Woodson. Kopp isn’t a great player but he’s a decent player and even that’s light years better than last season. X and TJD seemed to have plateaued. We might not see the best of Bates for another season or so. Galloway has had injury issues that kept him from consistently practicing/playing last season.
My own observations not including what looks like a lack of heart in too many situations by certain players.

• Sad
Reactions: Willdog7
Kansas hit pay dirt with Bill Self. Why couldn't IU have been as lucky? I thought for sure when Roy Williams left their success would drop off. How the heck do they talk recruits into playing in God forsaken Kansas, the middle of nowhere? Okay, I get the Big 12 isn't the Big 10, but still they do well in post season play and against good teams in pre-conference.

Regarding Woodson, he's just now beginning to feel the stress unique to coaching college basketball at IU as a former player. Only the strong survive when peers start questioning. God, give him strength to carry on. Amen, brother!

Reactions: DANC
Kansas hit pay dirt with Bill Self. Why couldn't IU have been as lucky? I thought for sure when Roy Williams left their success would drop off. How the heck do they talk recruits into playing in God forsaken Kansas, the middle of nowhere? Okay, I get the Big 12 isn't the Big 10, but still they do well in post season play and against good teams in pre-conference.

Regarding Woodson, he's just now beginning to feel the stress unique to coaching college basketball at IU as a former player. Only the strong survive when peers start questioning. God, give him strength to carry on. Amen, brother!
IU couldn’t or can’t handle a coach like Self. They are bad at the game. You think IU would’ve laughed at the NCAA with this adidas scandal? No way.

Reactions: DANC
IU couldn’t or can’t handle a coach like Self. They are bad at the game. You think IU would’ve laughed at the NCAA with this adidas scandal? No way.
The Self-righteous will never inherent the Earth in this permissive world of sin.

I'll aways think that Bob Knight and Kelvin Sampson both got raw deals and don't anyone of you self-righteous ones ever try to convince me otherwise. Why? (You might ask) It will never work (It goes without asking).

I think we can all say we wanted stevens he said no matta said yes but iu backed out we got woodson.

And what proof do you have for this statement?
It seemed to be the consensus that IU approached Stevens but this is the first I have read about Matta.

Kopp’s abilities/contributions have likely been maxed out by Woodson. Kopp isn’t a great player but he’s a decent player and even that’s light years better than last season. X and TJD seemed to have plateaued. We might not see the best of Bates for another season or so. Galloway has had injury issues that kept him from consistently practicing/playing last season.
My own observations not including what looks like a lack of heart in too many situations by certain players.
Always the negative.

Any other questions?
Sure. Here you go: Woodson gets all the credit for these cherry-picked improvements? Which of these miraculous stats equals wins against tough opponents? Does Woodson also get credit for Race going backwards? Geronimo not knowing up from down in his 3rd year? Leal? Duncomb?

Seriously, I'm pulling for the guy. I want Woodson to become BK Jr. and win a championship or 2. But I just have to trust my own eyes and I'm just not quite seeing reasons to be overly optimistic. Yet.

Sure. Here you go: Woodson gets all the credit for these cherry-picked improvements? Which of these miraculous stats equals wins against tough opponents? Does Woodson also get credit for Race going backwards? Geronimo not knowing up from down in his 3rd year? Leal? Duncomb?

Seriously, I'm pulling for the guy. I want Woodson to become BK Jr. and win a championship or 2. But I just have to trust my own eyes and I'm just not quite seeing reasons to be overly optimistic. Yet.
Haha moving goalposts brother.

You said to “help you see improvement”. I did that. I cherry picked nothing, nor did I say Woodson gets all the credit.

The stats are not miraculous but we are improving. And I can’t help it if you do not see that or agree.

As far as tougher opponents go… we beat NC and Xavier. We played better in the Big Ten tournament last year than we have in a while. I see that as players better against tougher opponents. Clearly you do not and again, I can’t help that.

Woodson is asking Race to play a stretch 4 spot and he is not that. Sucks for Race but better for the team. Having 2 centers within 8 feet of the basket helps nobody. Geronimo looked great at the end of last year…. Perhaps better than Race. We have 2 new freshmen playing including Reneau who is taking minutes that were Geronimo’s last year.

I don’t care who you root for or what you see but we are much better than the last year under Miller. And imo based on recruiting and development the future looks even brighter.

You are entitled to your opinion, IU was in a big hole when Woodson was hired. The fix will not come quickly. .We had 4 years of coach Miller. Give Coach Woodson time. Your eyes like most on the board, want instant gratification. There will be hiccups along the way some big some small. Coach Woodson is the man for the job.

Romeo Langford was a higher rated recruit than anyone Woody has signed.

Reactions: Willdog7
The Self-righteous will never inherent the Earth in this permissive world of sin.

I'll aways think that Bob Knight and Kelvin Sampson both got raw deals and don't anyone of you self-righteous ones ever try to convince me otherwise. Why? (You might ask) It will never work (It goes without asking).
I can at least understand the argument for BK getting a raw deal, but cannot imagine how KS got one. He was paid out for cheating and bringing in all sorts of bad actors.

KS is a POS.

And what proof do you have for this statement?
It seemed to be the consensus that IU approached Stevens but this is the first I have read about Matta.
Matta was there until he moved to Butler as coach then AD. he was never a serious candidate for the IU job

I can at least understand the argument for BK getting a raw deal, but cannot imagine how KS got one. He was paid out for cheating and bringing in all sorts of bad actors.

KS is a POS.
The only problem I had with KS is the type of players he was bringing in. As for cheating he was probably not even as bad as the coach we just faced on Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT