ADVERTISEMENT

Woodson needs to go. Zero improvement

Kansas hit pay dirt with Bill Self. Why couldn't IU have been as lucky? I thought for sure when Roy Williams left their success would drop off. How the heck do they talk recruits into playing in God forsaken Kansas, the middle of nowhere? Okay, I get the Big 12 isn't the Big 10, but still they do well in post season play and against good teams in pre-conference.

Regarding Woodson, he's just now beginning to feel the stress unique to coaching college basketball at IU as a former player. Only the strong survive when peers start questioning. God, give him strength to carry on. Amen, brother!
Cool post! Thank you. Kansas has an outstanding basketball tradition, really second to none, and a great coach in Self. The IU debacle over the last 20 years didn't happen overnight. Sampson could have been the answer, but he was stupid and took shortcuts with process and players. Then we had a couple of mediocre hires. Woody's not going to fix this thing overnight. Let's see how he's doing once he has only his-recruited players on the roster. I was at IU when he was on the team and he left his heart and soul on the floor every game. Just a great great player who was never intimidated by the expectations of his uber-demanding coach and program. I'm sure he'll bring the same intense desire to win to this job.

Reactions: abraxis
Cool post! Thank you. Kansas has an outstanding basketball tradition, really second to none, and a great coach in Self. The IU debacle over the last 20 years didn't happen overnight. Sampson could have been the answer, but he was stupid and took shortcuts with process and players. Then we had a couple of mediocre hires. Woody's not going to fix this thing overnight. Let's see how he's doing once he has only his-recruited players on the roster. I was at IU when he was on the team and he left his heart and soul on the floor every game. Just a great great player who was never intimidated by the expectations of his uber-demanding coach and program. I'm sure he'll bring the same intense desire to win to this job.
I think Kansas actually gets a more redneck campus view than they deserve. I went to law school with a gay guy I was in a circle of friends that had done his undergrad there and said it was way more progressive than IU, so you can't always judge a book by its cover. Great dude, had a serious sense of humor. I think we got out of Torts on day and I was teasing him cause he got called out in class, I said "are you gay" and he said "no, I'm substantially gay", and he swore KU was a good campus

Yeah so funny. I forgot about Lander too. Smh, what a shame.

Listen I see what you are saying and I can see why you think it. I just believe that all 3 highly rated Indiana recruits were coming anyway. I also think the 3 top 30 recruits Woodson has gotten would not have considered IU if he wasn’t here. On top of that, I really like Banks who Woodson also recruited although lower rated. I feel like Woodson is recruiting really well.

I admit that we have the benefit of hindsight with recruiting prior to Woodson so maybe I end up being wrong.

That is a bit what I am getting at in that IU recruits itself to an extent. Maybe we don't get JHS and MR (we almost certainly don't with Archie at that point) but we got studs from all over when Crean was here.

There is a pretty high floor to our recruiting that only gets raised with NIL, so without a significant uptick in recruiting I am hesitant to say Woody is the reason.

Maybe the 2024 class blows us away and I am dead wrong. I will be back for my crow if that is the case.

Woodson needs to be a man and resign. IU is no better than last year and Woodson severely out coached when it matters. No shooters, out of control play, and just terrible effort. Purdue will curb stomp IU twice this year. This team may miss tournament

Come on. Izzo was 43-28 after his first two seasons. Big Ten Champ the third and Final Four the fourth. Takes until the 3rd and 4th year. Lots of things about the program are better. With COVID, 5 and 6 year players and open transfers, it's become a crap shoot to build a team and keep it together. Every man a King? Hard to make that work.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I'll always contend the cell phone technology was new to everyone back then and I don't think he appreciated the fact that impermissive phone calls could be traced, otherwise he wouldn't have done it. IU should never have reported, in hindsight. Ask Kansas what they know and if you're still not convinced, ask UNC.

So KS was recruiting bad actors? We never got a chance to see how it was going to ultimately play out. Sure, he may have missed on seeing a rotten apple or two, but to say "all sorts of bad actors" is an overstatement. Do you think he's brought in all sorts of bad actors to Houston? See what their fan base has to say about the questionable characters he recruits on their way to the Final Four.
It wasn't so much that "impermissive phone calls could be traced," as you put it, but a lot of the phone calls the NCAA claimed to be violations were unanswered calls that were picked up by home answering machines.

Even when the recruiters left no message on the player's home answering machine, the phone carriers' greedy equipment recorded the event as a completed phone call for an arbitrary charged duration of, say, 30 seconds so that the caller could be billed a few pennies. So, of course, these answering machine calls showed up on the phone bills the NCAA used to claim the calls were a violation for actual phone calls, even though the callers hadn't spoken a word.

From memory, there was even a case involving two high school twins somewhere, and the NCAA charged a single unanswered phone call twice on the theory that the recruiter was trying to recruit both of them (though without speaking a word).

The court cases leading to NIL are just karma for the NCAA's failure to judge public attitude correctly. In a few more years the NCAA will lose another 30-40% of status as all the major conferences create their own rules for, well, everything.

Reactions: abraxis
Come on. Izzo was 43-28 after his first two seasons. Big Ten Champ the third and Final Four the fourth. Takes until the 3rd and 4th year. Lots of things about the program are better. With COVID, 5 and 6 year players and open transfers, it's become a crap shoot to build a team and keep it together. Every man a King? Hard to make that work.
That’s why most coaches get 5 years. They either give an extension or buy out.

This isn’t football, you don’t need 3-4 years to build depth. And with the portal these days, there’s no reason to expect an elite coach to not have a conference championship level team in year 2. Self could do it. Granted he’s the best coach in the game, but still.

Fwiw. I think Woody is a good coach, but I have my doubts that he’s any kind of home run. That’s okay. Gary Williams, Kevin Ollie, Tubby Smith, I’d even say Boheim is good not great. Good coaches can win titles sometimes. It’s just harder and you get fewer cracks at it.

This isn’t football, you don’t need 3-4 years to build depth. And with the portal these days, there’s no reason to expect an elite coach to not have a conference championship level team in year 2. Self could do it. Granted he’s the best coach in the game, but still.

Fwiw. I think Woody is a good coach, but I have my doubts that he’s any kind of home run. That’s okay. Gary Williams, Kevin Ollie, Tubby Smith, I’d even say Boheim is good not great. Good coaches can win titles sometimes. It’s just harder and you get fewer cracks at it.
Self? He walked into a sweet deal. You seriously saying self has a hard time? Woody followed Ryan. Big difference.

Reactions: steelyvan
Self? He walked into a sweet deal. You seriously saying self has a hard time? Woody followed Ryan. Big difference.
Self won the Big 10 two out of three years at Illinois, the roster he built went to the F4 under Weber the next year. He’s won two titles at Kansas when Roy couldn’t win any. The team he inherited from Roy had also been gutted and had lost its three best players.

He’s the best coach in the the game right now. Full stop. Anyone that disagrees is wrong.

If you look at his roster at KU right now, very few of them were at KU when we still had Archie.

Point being, elite coaches could/ would turn over the roster quickly and could be competing for conference championships.

Woodson has showed progress, marked progress. That’s a good thing. Comparing him to Self is unfair, it’s unfair to compare any active coach to Self because none of them are on his level.

Self won the Big 10 two out of three years at Illinois, the roster he built went to the F4 under Weber the next year. He’s won two titles at Kansas when Roy couldn’t win any. The team he inherited from Roy had also been gutted and had lost its three best players.

He’s the best coach in the the game right now. Full stop. Anyone that disagrees is wrong.

If you look at his roster at KU right now, very few of them were at KU when we still had Archie.

Point being, elite coaches could/ would turn over the roster quickly and could be competing for conference championships.

Woodson has showed progress, marked progress. That’s a good thing. Comparing him to Self is unfair, it’s unfair to compare any active coach to Self because none of them are on his level.
Lmao Kansas was not gutted. Started the year at #6 and had giddens and Padgett. Self is in no way a good comparison.

Lmao Kansas was not gutted. Started the year at #6 and had giddens and Padgett. Self is in no way a good comparison.
Agreed, kudos to Self for retaining Giddens and Padgett commitments, not easy to do and speaks to his ability. If Woody could have retained Franklin, maybe our shooting wouldn’t suck ass.

It’s not a comparison. I’m just saying that if Self for example had taken the job instead of Woody, we would be a better team today, which we would. I don’t know why you see the need to argue with that. But have at it.

The same could be said for Calipari, Drew, Pearl, probably Beard (rip).

We don’t have the best coach in the game, we have a good one, and you need to learn to be okay with that.

Agreed, kudos to Self for retaining Giddens and Padgett commitments, not easy to do and speaks to his ability. If Woody could have retained Franklin, maybe our shooting wouldn’t suck ass.

It’s not a comparison. I’m just saying that if Self for example had taken the job instead of Woody, we would be a better team today, which we would. I don’t know why you see the need to argue with that. But have at it.

The same could be said for Calipari, Drew, Pearl, probably Beard (rip).

We don’t have the best coach in the game, we have a good one, and you need to learn to be okay with that.
Me? I’m not trying to down him by being just “ok”. Cal isn’t lighting it up. Drew, pearl and beard are slim balls. You ever wonder why Drew isn’t considered for bigger jobs? I would never compare coaching prowess or character with those guys. Woody is my guy until he retires, leaves or is fired. I’m giving him 5 years.

Reactions: Spartans9312
Not sure what schedule they've played but they've 8-4 in year 1. Wonder if he's next up if BSU continues to do well.

I stop by here once every few months to see if there's any intelligent discussion, or if the little kids still dominate this board. Thanks for the answer, kiddo.
Just follow Lucy, Kurt, and Radio if you want to listen to the adults in the room.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT