ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin supreme court . . .

Sope Creek

Hall of Famer
Feb 5, 2003
Wisconsin elected a liberal to its supreme court yesterday, giving liberals a majority on the court for the first time in 15 years. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/el...ourt-election-liberals-win-majority-rcna77190

My guess is that few voters really wanted the rulings that the liberal majority will issue, any more than more than a few voters wanted the rulings that the conservative majority issued. The problem is with the parties, of course. They offer contrasting visions of the state . . . which in marketing campaigns turns into drastically different policy offerings . . .

. . . until parties are willing to move to the center, this dynamic will cause elected officials to be highly partisan, and the ruling majorities will flip between the parties regularly . . . thus resulting in - at best - an approximation of the center.

Wisconsin elected a liberal to its supreme court yesterday, giving liberals a majority on the court for the first time in 15 years. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/el...ourt-election-liberals-win-majority-rcna77190

My guess is that few voters really wanted the rulings that the liberal majority will issue, any more than more than a few voters wanted the rulings that the conservative majority issued. The problem is with the parties, of course. They offer contrasting visions of the state . . . which in marketing campaigns turns into drastically different policy offerings . . .

. . . until parties are willing to move to the center, this dynamic will cause elected officials to be highly partisan, and the ruling majorities will flip between the parties regularly . . . thus resulting in - at best - an approximation of the center.
thanks mr obvious. can you help me with this growling noise i get every time i flip on the light in my kitchen?

I think the question becomes which development becomes more significant...

Substantial numbers of Wisconsinites are making it clear they don't approve of the types of positions Kelly represents- his support for the draconian 1849 anti-abortion law, his involvement with Trump's attempts to subvert the 2020 election, his continued advocacy for the gerrymandred Legislature to thwart the wishes of the majority and basically engage in minority dictatorship...

Kelly has been rejected by the voters before, and this was his attempt to actually succeed a retiring Conservative and basically give the Right a super majority. But it looks like he may end up losing by double digits, in a campaign where drastic amounts of money were spent...

But at the same time that the voters were making their feelings known, the heavily gerrymandered GOP legislature (Senate) succeeded in increasing their non-representative majority with a narrow victory in a contested District that gave them a supermajority and granted them "impeachment powers".

And the first topic they brought up was the desire to "impeach" newly-elected Justice Protasiewicz, the woman who just won election by double digits in the democratic process. Talk about attempting to thwart the will of the people...:eek:

The WI election's consequences is one of the topics discussed in this 8 min roundtable...

• Love
Reactions: i'vegotwinners

Unless I live in Wisconsin, who gives a shit.

Abortion is now a state issue. BFD.

Reactions: sku
Republicans strategy on abortion post Dobbs has been asinine. We’re supposed to be the party of incrementalism. Know your audience. A full ban might work in Alabama, not Wisconsin.

I understand some these were trigger laws that automatically went into effect. GOP legislatures needed to pass new ones 12 weeks. Then we work on getting it gone entirely.

Does anyone else think we were better off when only property owners could vote? I’d settle for limiting to only those that pay federal and state income tax. Skin in the game is essential.

Here in beautiful Chicago the 51.5% that pays little to no taxes voted for dollars to come out of the pocket of the 48.5% (the vast majority of the tax base) and into their own.

That is unjust.

Last edited:
Yep. Sad. This election was for a judge, not for a legislature. The winner ran on how she would decide specific cases. The voters and judges see the judicial branch as a super-legislature. Ugh.
You changed the topic, and I agree that judges should not be political. My point is I think the GOP has a problem that is going to get worse with young people. According to Scott Walker ,” Young folks are the issue. It comes from years of radical indoctrination- on campus, in school, with social media, and throughout culture. We have to counter it or conservatives will never win battleground states again. “
Or maybe they really hate your policies, Scott.

You changed the topic, and I agree that judges should not be political. My point is I think the GOP has a problem that is going to get worse with young people. According to Scott Walker ,” Young folks are the issue. It comes from years of radical indoctrination- on campus, in school, with social media, and throughout culture. We have to counter it or conservatives will never win battleground states again. “
The voting habits of young people haven’t changed materially in the last decade as far as political affiliation. What has changed is their turnout rate, it’s much higher.

Social media has been an effective tool for progressives to convince young people of nonsense like “W candidate wants to put women who receive an abortion in prison” “X candidate supports jim crow racism”, “Y candidate won’t let people say the word gay”, “Z candidate would rather protect AR-15’s than children’s lives”.

And who uses social media most? The young and ignorant of course.

Progressives have successfully been able to send more young people to the polls with mischaracterized, incomplete and blatantly false information in mind.

Kudos on your success.

No. It's indoctrination.

Reactions: DANC and Crayfish57
The voting habits of young people haven’t changed materially in the last decade as far as political affiliation. What has changed is their turnout rate, it’s much higher.

Social media has been an effective tool for progressives to convince young people of nonsense like “W candidate wants to put women who receive an abortion in prison” “X candidate supports jim crow racism”, “Y candidate won’t let people say the word gay”, “Z candidate would rather protect AR-15’s than children’s lives”.

Progressives have successfully been able to send more young people to the polls with mischaracterized, incomplete and blatantly false information in mind.

Kudos on your success.
Young and ignorant. Lol. I hope Republicans keep thinking that the young are ignorant and it has nothing to do with their policies. You mean social media is to young people what Fox News is to old people?

Young and ignorant. Lol. I hope Republicans keep thinking that the young are ignorant and it has nothing to do with their policies. You mean social media is to young people what Fox News is to old people?
Keep thinking that. Keep losing a whole generation of voters and see how that works out for you .
You are just full of optimism. Statistics tell us that young people, liberals, and women are more likely to have anxiety, be depressed, be angry, and seek mental health therapy than conservatives, males, and older people. We are simply happier than you guys. This is who you are talking about driving elections. Ugh.

You are just full of optimism. Statistics tell us that young people, liberals, and women are more likely to have anxiety, be depressed, be angry, and seek mental health therapy than conservatives, males, and older people. We are simply happier than you guys. This is who you are talking about driving elections. Ugh.
You’d probably just prefer old men be able to vote? Old people have been driving elections and making policies that impact young people for decades. You finally hit on subjects that matter to them. And now they are finally starting to vote like it matters. Next we need to get more young people running for office.

I guarantee I’m happier than all you miserable, conservative, old coots…combined.

• Love
Reactions: UncleMark
You’d probably just prefer old men be able to vote? Old people have been driving elections and making policies that impact young people for decades. You finally hit on subjects that matter to them. And now they are finally starting to vote like it matters. Next we need to get more young people running for office.
Oh crap Zeke.

What policies that impact young people are you talking about? Abortion? Trans? Pronouns? Plastic bags? The hurt feeling du jour? In the grand scheme of things that’s all bullshit. Yet it drives votes. Well, when it comes time for the young people to retire, there won’t be social security and there won’t be Medicare. Hell there won’t even be any comedy. Why? Because none of the issues young people care about builds anything sustainable while they have their pity parties. The young people are free to indulge in the luxury of this self centered bullshit because old people built a thriving productive economy and society that gave the young Democratic voters everything they have. I got some news. This country is not self sustaining. The country needs dreamers, builders, and doers who think way beyond the next injustice to get pissed about and protest.

Reactions: DANC
Keep thinking that. Keep losing a whole generation of voters and see how that works out for you .
It's over. You've indoctrinated enough people. And your team is willing to lie, cheat and steal in order to win this war (which is what it is). The conservative team isn't morally bankrupt enough to even attempt the evils your side practices every single day and loves so much. It's a sad day for America, but a great day for zeke and the idiots evidently.

• Love
Reactions: DANC and Crayfish57
It's over. You've indoctrinated enough people. And your team is willing to lie, cheat and steal in order to win this war (which is what it is). The conservative team isn't morally bankrupt enough to even attempt the evils your side practices every single day and loves so much. It's a sad day for America, but a great day for zeke and the idiots evidently.
The real world will hit them between the eyes soon enough, when we fight Putin in Ukraine and Xi in Taiwan.

I'm sure that will happen and to that I say...thank goodness I'm old! I won't have to deal with the idiot indoctrinated youth of today making policy. At least not for long.

Reactions: Crayfish57
I’m all for the younger crowd being vested in the process. The problem is, the young progressive theory will end this great country. Since that isn’t just a theory, it’s proven in several liberal cities and states, it’s not a risk I’m willing to test.
They aren’t trying to slightly adjust reality, they are trying to force impossibilities that have been proven to be impossible 1000 times.
Once they realize their test parameters can not work as they’re currently framed, we can talk. But I’m not ok setting ideally by allowing this testing that’s NEVER in the history of earth, be anything but a total complete failure. EVER.

I'm sure that will happen and to that I say...thank goodness I'm old! I won't to deal with the idiot indoctrinated youth of today making policy. At least not for long.
When I was a youth, there was a punishment that made me question pushing things WAY outside the box, it was corporeal punishment.
Maybe these new, super left, youth “superstars” need to see a few of their “leaders” experience some capital punishment, for their loud worthless dangerous theories. They’ve never ever worked. Time to stop the serpent.

Reactions: TyWebbIU

Kudos on your success.
It's interesting that you do seem to know the topics that has them fired up....now the question is are you going to try to incorporate them into your platform or just go full denial and say it's indoctrination and try to just cut them out (raise the voting age! Gotta have a pictured drivers license! Gotta pay property taxes. Gerrymander the f out of them?).

Sounds like you want the latter. Good, that plays into my hand even more politically.

But yeah, seems like the big beef is what you said:

1. Gun reform/school shootings
2. Abortion
3. Leave the LGBTQ's alone
4. Climate responsibility

And what has your favorite Florida governor done in the past month?

1. Legalized conceal and carry.
2. Has a 6 week abortion ban on his desk to sign into law.
3. Expanded his vague school law to the 12th grade.

That looks like the exact opposite to me or is that not true and it's more nuanced that I just don't understand but don't worry about it as it's a nothing burger?

The big eye opener is how large gen z is and how involved they are.

Look you really think companies like Disney and recently Budweiser, Hershey's and Jack effing Daniels are going to back this gay and trans inclusion messaging on their products unless they know something, and my guess is the size of millennials and gen Z.

Boomers are dying off. Xers like me are an insignificant, forgotten generation because we're a small generation. Millennials and Gen Z must be scaring the shit out of corporate America....at least that's my take.

So yeah, you guys have currently have the makings of a civil war within the party, a lunatic populous leader that is absolutely toxic to the general voting base and rocket fuel to the dem base and an older core that's dying off to be replaced by an avalanche that you do nothing for.

Best of luck to you in the wars that come.

I’m all for the younger crowd being vested in the process. The problem is, the young progressive theory will end this great country. Since that isn’t just a theory, it’s proven in several liberal cities and states, it’s not a risk I’m willing to test.
They aren’t trying to slightly adjust reality, they are trying to force impossibilities that have been proven to be impossible 1000 times.
Once they realize their test parameters can not work as they’re currently framed, we can talk. But I’m not ok setting ideally by allowing this testing that’s NEVER in the history of earth, be anything but a total complete failure. EVER.
Can I respond to you about this ?

So we have people worrying about shit that really has no actual bearing on society as a whole. IDGAF what people want to do on their own time and pay for it themselves . An obviously entitled person trying to respond to the real world. She goes on world cruises or says she does.

When I was 18 I bought a house, pd cash . I worked 8-10 hr days and worked another 4-6 on my house. I had a flexible schedule and worked around getting a big job done and then some time off and we would help each other .

So now we are talking about transgenders and men being women in sports? Just crazy stuff. Back then it was which one of us needed to get a new roof on a place to live we were working on and would get together and get it done.

What I am watching is just appalling to me. The things being argued about. Should I have the right to be a woman? Again I don't care if you can pay for it. We have 6-8-10 year olds asking this? This is the concern? Not having a house to live in , a way to make money but focus on this?

Oh crap Zeke.

What policies that impact young people are you talking about? Abortion? Trans? Pronouns? Plastic bags? The hurt feeling du jour? In the grand scheme of things that’s all bullshit. Yet it drives votes. Well, when it comes time for the young people to retire, there won’t be social security and there won’t be Medicare. Hell there won’t even be any comedy. Why? Because none of the issues young people care about builds anything sustainable while they have their pity parties. The young people are free to indulge in the luxury of this self centered bullshit because old people built a thriving productive economy and society that gave the young Democratic voters everything they have. I got some news. This country is not self sustaining. The country needs dreamers, builders, and doers who think way beyond the next injustice to get pissed about and protest.
Says every generation about the younger generation of all time.

It’s not just abortion. Republicans are likely going to lose congressional seats with this new “judge”.
Yeah it's possible.That's what happens if a party that owes it's super majority to heavily gerrymandered,unrepresentative Congressional district maps is no longer the recipient of a rubber stamp/wink approval of those unrepresentative maps by a judiciary complicit in denying the majority proper representation.

How exactly does a state which just voted statewide for a Dem Governor as well as for Biden end up with a Congressional delegation favoring the opposition party by 75% (6-2)? How is that even possible?

The election means that the GOP dominated Legislature will still be able to draw the Congressional maps, they will just have to make them more fair and representative of the voting majority statewide which supports Dems.

The other very important development is that Kelly won't be in a position of power where he can repeat in 2024 his 2020/2022 efforts to subvert the electoral process and assist Trump in attempting to overthrow the WI election results. When Trump inevitably loses.

• Haha
So what?

Do you think that legitimizes the mental weakness that that objecting to micro-aggressions and seeking safe places bring?
I think you are ignoring the very real problem that the GOP and their policies have alienated young people. You think it’s the young people, I think it’s the policies. We’ll see how it works out.

• Haha
I think you are ignoring the very real problem that the GOP and their policies have alienated young people. You think it’s the young people, I think it’s the policies. We’ll see how it works out.
Policies vrs ppl. That’s honestly a great way to make my mind understand it all.
The policies have changed 1%, while the ppl have changed 99%. Disagree?

So lets just look and I am not responding to any specific person. Previous generations have had different fundemental ideas. Our current ''generation'' has teachers, teaching children that thinks getting your sex organs surgically modified as a protest is OK? WOW

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT