ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin Supreme Court

zeke4ahs

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 26, 2003
Election today. Democrat Janet Protasiewicz ( what a name) won by a pretty comfortable margin, 7%, flipping the state court to liberal majority. Will be interesting to see demographics, as I saw lots of pictures with young voters in line. Called by many the most consequential election in 2023, imagine abortion access had an influence again in this election.

Election today. Democrat Janet Protasiewicz ( what a name) won by a pretty comfortable margin, 7%, flipping the state court to liberal majority. Will be interesting to see demographics, as I saw lots of pictures with young voters in line. Called by many the most consequential election in 2023, imagine abortion access had an influence again in this election.
Chalk this up to the dipshit Republican base going with one time loser Dan Kelly over Jennifer Dorow of the Darrell Brooks trial fame. She would have cleaned up in the Milwaukee area. Enough of the “muh based populists”. With the Trump strategy all Republicans do is lose. You would think they would grow tired of losing.

Chalk this up to the dipshit Republican base going with one time loser Dan Kelly over Jennifer Dorow of the Darrell Brooks trial fame. She would have cleaned up in the Milwaukee area. Enough of the “muh based populists”. With the Trump strategy all Republicans do is lose. You would think they would grow tired of losing.
I didn’t know much about him. I know she painted him as an extremist, but wasn’t sure if that was true.

I saw very little coverage of the race but it was disturbing to see Supreme Court candidates discussing policy issues like legislators.

wake up to today's reality.

Supreme Court candidates absolutely should be discussing issues like legislators, because they are far far more powerful than any legislators regarding issues, and willing to leverage said power..

I didn’t know much about him. I know she painted him as an extremist, but wasn’t sure if that was true.
1) He was the wrong candidate
2) States where Republicans have control are handling the abortion issue incorrectly

They need to put it up to referendum. But schedule it the year between mid-terms and the general.

It’ll show that they’re willing to compromise, defangs the issue, and moved the conversation back to more favorable topics. Additionally, the base can’t backlash against the politicians and party for something that is out of their control.

Wisconsin should schedule a referendum for September. Then they don’t have to listen to it in 2024.

1) He was the wrong candidate
2) States where Republicans have control are handling the abortion issue incorrectly

They need to put it up to referendum. But schedule it the year between mid-terms and the general.

It’ll show that they’re willing to compromise, defangs the issue, and moved the conversation back to more favorable topics. Additionally, the base can’t backlash against the politicians and party for something that is out of their control.

Wisconsin should schedule a referendum for September. Then they don’t have to listen to it in 2024.
If they are doing a referendum I would have it be a first trimester timeframe in purple states. If the GOP completely handed over one of their only wins in decades without any restrictions (basically going back to how it was), they are beyond useless.

Banning slavery did not help win elections in the south for decades but it was the right thing to do.

Reactions: vesuvius13
If they are doing a referendum I would have it be a first trimester timeframe in purple states. If the GOP completely handed over one of their only wins in decades without any restrictions (basically going back to how it was), they are beyond useless.

Banning slavery did not help win elections in the south for decades but it was the right thing to do.
Wisconsin is purple.
Frame it as this:

“Are you in favor of legalizing abortions up to 24 weeks after conception?” (5.5 months)
[ ] Yes
[ ] No

Simple text, easy to understand.

It’ll probably pass and placate the moderate pro-choicers and on the flip side can get the Dems to show they’re crazy and take the also unpopular 3rd trimester position. But mostly puts the issue to rest without losing any political capital with the religious right.

Wisconsin is purple.
Frame it as this:

“Are you in favor of legalizing abortions up to 24 weeks after conception?” (5.5 months)
[ ] Yes
[ ] No

It’ll probably pass and placate the moderate pro-choicers and on the flip side can get the Dems to show they’re crazy and take the also unpopular 3rd trimester position. But mostly puts the issue to rest without losing any political capital with the religious right.
24 weeks is way more than should be given. 12 to 15 and then make the liberals make their argument to extend it from there.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Wisconsin is purple.
Frame it as this:

[ ] Yes
[ ] No

Crazy would never be happy with that, because it would pass. It's essentially legislating Roe.

Referendums are no longer they way the anti-choice crowd wants to go since they've lost every one. Letting the people speak is off the table.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
Crazy would never be happy with that, because it would pass. It's essentially legislating Roe.

Referendums are no longer they way the anti-choice crowd wants to go since they've lost every one. Letting the people speak is off the table.
Crazy isn't happy with giving ground up that doesn't need to be given. A solid majority of Americans are ok with a ban after 15 weeks. I would draw it in the 12 to 15 range and then make my political opponents argue to move the line further than the majority of Americans support particularly since allowing it at all kind of pisses off one of my core constituencies.

The referendum is fine but it doesn't have to be an all or nothing referendum. "Should abortion be allowed up to 15 weeks and then restricted to only instances of rape, incest, or life of mother thereafter. Yes or No."

Make Democrats/liberals/pro-choicers make the unpopular argument from there. It also starts to set the table for people to accept restrictions. The GOP is making the mistake of doing all at once what took 50 years to put in place. You have to turn the temperature down as slowly as it was turned up.

This is the route for Republicans in a state like Wisconsin.
They should present the referendum at a random time in an off cycle. Like absolutely don’t put it on a ballot coinciding with a general, do it on like a Tuesday in September or something. It would fade from memory in the year + before the general as other issues take root.

Crazy isn't happy with giving ground up that doesn't need to be given. A solid majority of Americans are ok with a ban after 15 weeks. I would draw it in the 12 to 15 range and then make my political opponents argue to move the line further than the majority of Americans support particularly since allowing it at all kind of pisses off one of my core constituencies.

https://19thnews.org/2022/09/abortion-opinion-changing-after-roe-v-wade/. Opinions change once people actually understand the reality, not theoretical.

From your opinion piece:

"The results can’t be perfectly compared. In March, respondents were asked about a 15-week ban that had exceptions for cases of pregnancy resulting from rape and incest. In August, the hypothetical 15-week ban lacked such exceptions."
Your piece is from April, before the reversal.

Your piece is from April, before the reversal.
My piece is the same initial poll that yours mentions. The second poll that yours mentions takes out the exceptions which calls into question the validity of their conclusion. People like to have the exceptions, even most people who are even more strict on their ban cutoff.

The article comes from a site that would hope for a certain conclusion and so they promoted that conclusion even though the 2 polls they cite do not support that conclusion because they ask two different questions.

ETA: The quote I pulled is directly from your article and they open with "The results can't be perfectly compared." They admit that their conclusion is being drawn from "imperfect" data because the two polls don't ask the exact same question.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
My piece is the same initial poll that yours mentions. The second poll that yours mentions takes out the exceptions which calls into question the validity of their conclusion. People like to have the exceptions, even most people who are even more strict on their ban cutoff.

The article comes from a site that would hope for a certain conclusion and so they promoted that conclusion even though the 2 polls they cite do not support that conclusion because they ask two different questions.

ETA: The quote I pulled is directly from your article and they open with "The results can't be perfectly compared." They admit that their conclusion is being drawn from "imperfect" data because the two polls don't ask the exact same question.

Both the polling and recent election results (November- this week) are very clear. Abortion restrictions are a political loser for the GOP.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
Both the polling and recent election results (November- this week) are very clear. Abortion restrictions are a political loser for the GOP.
I can’t figure that out. Polling data shows overwhelming support for reasonable restrictions on abortion yet the voters are persuaded by the free and unlimited abortion Democratic message. I guess they are scared of the few GOP whack jobs on that issue. Colorado has now taken its place among the few in the world with unlimited abortions. We are right there with North Korea.

I can’t figure that out. Polling data shows overwhelming support for reasonable restrictions on abortion yet the voters are persuaded by the free and unlimited abortion Democratic message. I guess they are scared of the few GOP whack jobs on that issue. Colorado has now taken its place among the few in the world with unlimited abortions. We are right there with North Korea.

Here's a bit of statistical analysis on the issue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT