ADVERTISEMENT

Whats your realistic wish list to finish out the portal?

GeorgeStrait IU

All-American
Apr 10, 2005
Does IU have 3? or 4 openings? As things look today, A catch and shoot shooter, a sf like Zach Anderson who is a solid 3point shooter and good athlete and a spot minute banger.

Does IU have 3? or 4 openings? As things look today, A catch and shoot shooter, a sf like Zach Anderson who is a solid 3point shooter and good athlete and a spot minute banger.

1. Another rim protector who can shoot
2. Another rim protector who can shoot
3. Another rim protector who can shoot

I'd love to keep the floor spread, and the paint open, for Rice and Carlyle to operate. I'd rather not see the paint clogged for 40 minutes a game, closing driving lanes, forcing Rice/Carlyle to take long 2s.

I'll start by asking how is Newton and will he be physically able to contribute this year?

Assuming Newton is good to go, I'd leave a scholarship open. We need another player that can play and defend the 4/5. We could use a shooter, but I'm not sure one would come now that we have our starting backcourt and depth committed.

After we find another 4/5, we just need to add the best option available regardless of position. I believe that is a young player with size and athletic ability that needs strength or experience and doesn't mind redshirting or sitting until they have an opportunity. Basically getting a player that can step in to the rotation after sitting for a year.

Reactions: Willdog7
How about that French kid who visited a couple weeks ago? Diamit Blazi. He might be too raw though.

Reactions: Willdog7
A big and a wing shooter who are under the radar and thus willing to come in and probably not start but push for rotation minutes.

Or development projects if we can't find anyone like that.

I'd love to keep the floor spread, and the paint open, for Rice and Carlyle to operate. I'd rather not see the paint clogged for 40 minutes a game, closing driving lanes, forcing Rice/Carlyle to take long 2s.
Way too many rim protectors who can shoot! 🥴

I'll start by asking how is Newton and will he be physically able to contribute this year?

Assuming Newton is good to go, I'd leave a scholarship open. We need another player that can play and defend the 4/5. We could use a shooter, but I'm not sure one would come now that we have our starting backcourt and depth committed.

After we find another 4/5, we just need to add the best option available regardless of position. I believe that is a young player with size and athletic ability that needs strength or experience and doesn't mind redshirting or sitting until they have an opportunity. Basically getting a player that can step in to the rotation after sitting for a year.
In this day and age, I can’t see any possible reason to ever leave a scholly open. It’s clear we aren’t building anything here. It’s a year-to-year roster now. Might as well have every spot filled knowing full well half the team will be swapped out next year.

I think it’s funny how people on here say MM is a shooter but Carlyle isn’t. They shot close to the same % from behind the arc.
They're both shooters ... people who say Kanaan can't shoot are morons.

Plus they were merely freshman and both raised their percentage in conference play.

47% of Kanaan's shots were 3pt shots, only 2/3 were assisted. So, he can get it off the bounce. He also has an excellent mid game. Most players get better between Fr and So year ... so, IUs shooting should be improved.

Being able to shoot off the move gives us a player that can get a bucket when the clock is short and/or when the play breaks down. IU hasn't had a player that could do that since Yogi ... hopefully he's that guy.

Sean Stewart - to-be-sophomore rotation big with high defensive ceiling, desperately needed for this season. Vies for a starting position next season depending on if Reneau and Mgbako move on

Jaden Schutt - @Willdog7 is the only one to mention contact for him so unsure about likelihood but he's an Illinois kid so could want to come back to the Midwest. RSSO tabbed as one of the best shooters in his class, would be perfect to come in for short spurts (12-15mpg) but given the green light when he likes a shot

Diamant Blazi - athletic recruit who should stay multiple seasons and as the last scholarship worth the flyer since his rumored athleticism could make for an Anunoby-esque growth

Ware was a rim protector who could shoot. Trouble was, he didn't protect letting his man catch a ball inside of 10 feet with ease. I'd be happy if Ballo shows up as a much better defender than Ware.

Reactions: IUgradman
In this day and age, I can’t see any possible reason to ever leave a scholly open. It’s clear we aren’t building anything here. It’s a year-to-year roster now. Might as well have every spot filled knowing full well half the team will be swapped out next year.
There are players that become available late that could help out a team. Most 13th scholarships go to a player that won't play. I would rather save it for a player that you really want.

There are players that become available late that could help out a team. Most 13th scholarships go to a player that won't play. I would rather save it for a player that you really want.
Gotcha. I misunderstood. Thought you meant leave one open for the season, like he did this year. My old brain is still thinking about the 70s-2020 when roster (and program) building actually took some wisdom and creativity. Your point is spot on.

Goode, Malone and a high upside project type wing. Obviously if after those 2 a Leland Walker type would still want to come, or one of the Duke kids but those would be long shots at best, so when looking at reasonable options, Goode, Malone, and a high upside flier kid--unless of course Blackmon decides to come for a smaller unknown role/minutes, then you take him!!

Sean Stewart - to-be-sophomore rotation big with high defensive ceiling, desperately needed for this season. Vies for a starting position next season depending on if Reneau and Mgbako move on

Jaden Schutt - @Willdog7 is the only one to mention contact for him so unsure about likelihood but he's an Illinois kid so could want to come back to the Midwest. RSSO tabbed as one of the best shooters in his class, would be perfect to come in for short spurts (12-15mpg) but given the green light when he likes a shot

Diamant Blazi - athletic recruit who should stay multiple seasons and as the last scholarship worth the flyer since his rumored athleticism could make for an Anunoby-esque growth
I don't see Reneau and Mgbako past this season . That means at least 5 schollies for 25' class. Ballo,Leal and Galloway too.

I don't see Reneau and Mgbako past this season . That means at least 5 schollies for 25' class. Ballo,Leal and Galloway too.
It takes a pretty nice NBA contract to beat out NIL. Any sort of two way deal (non-guaranteed) in the 2nd round is probably going to be worse than guaranteed NIL, especially the sort of NIL MR and MM are getting at IU.

A year is a long time, but MR doesn't translate too well to the pros, and the math may be better for him to continue to stay in college unless he improves substantially. MM is closer to a lucrative pro contract, but he needs to improve quite a bit on D, etc. too. We'll see.

MR doesn't translate too well to the pros
Staff has been working with him to expand his game. It started last year working with Cheaney and in the games he had more face up opportunities but they want to extend it to more perimeter scoring.

Last edited:
Goode or Anderson
Malone
Blazi (mainly because he is a true freshman) need the eligibility.

Woody will realize pretty quickly that Ballo-Reneau-Mgbako-Carlyle-Rice can't defend a high volume 3pt shooting team or a 3 guard offense. Reneau and Mgbako can't close out quick enough.

Johnell Davis, Elijah Malone and Wait for Ben Humrichous.

Not even worth looking forward. Every year will turn over half of the team.
Meanwhile, PU will be pulling top 10-15 classes each year with kids that should be at IU. Painter hugging it out with the Sisleys in the driveway today while Mike Woodson plays rent-a-player. It may even work here & there, but still sucks to watch PU gaining such an advantage with Indiana HS recruiting. Painter can sell coming & being part of something for 4 years including Big titles & now final fours, but I guess we’ve got checks. It will be interesting to see which works better over the long haul & what kind of kids each school gets.

Meanwhile, PU will be pulling top 10-15 classes each year with kids that should be at IU. Painter hugging it out with the Sisleys in the driveway today while Mike Woodson plays rent-a-player. It may even work here & there, but still sucks to watch PU gaining such an advantage with Indiana HS recruiting. Painter can sell coming & being part of something for 4 years including Big titles & now final fours, but I guess we’ve got checks. It will be interesting to see which works better over the long haul & what kind of kids each school gets.
Purdue isn't sniffing anymore final 4's. They blew the one chance they had to win title. Just like Joe Barry Carroll led team. History.

Woody will realize pretty quickly that Ballo-Reneau-Mgbako-Carlyle-Rice can't defend a high volume 3pt shooting team or a 3 guard offense. Reneau and Mgbako can't close out quick enough.

Johnell Davis, Elijah Malone and Wait for Ben Humrichous.
I agree, but we will have mismatches on the other side. Which side of the mismatch do you want? Big, multi level scorers or small jump shooters? If a team does get the better of us then just bring in another guard for Ballo and move Reneau and Mgbako up.

Some of that is true.
You know the future without any uncertainty? Did God grant you this power or are you another Nostradumbass?

Closing out on the shooter isn't the root of the problem. Malik as a backline weak side defender will be put into a lot of 1 on 2 situations because the wing on his side may rotate to the nail if needed. If that rotation is aggressive and played correctly the play won't be there.

I've seen countless times where Malik is blamed for the breakdown when it isn't his fault .. even though he's the one getting burnt. Early in the season our wings horrible at covering the nail..

Mack was a freshman who didn't have the defense fundamentals down and didn't understand spacing and positioning. He improved and will most likely continue to improve. Understanding how much area he can cover and where to position based on his opponents ability, is key.

What they'll do next year isn't known to anyone, players improve, things change.. to say it with such certainty ... is nothing but pure dumbassery.

Last edited:
Assuming the Luke-to-IU deal is “as Goode as done” and expecting Malone to end up at Colorado or ND for more playing time, my wish would be for a rim protector-ideally an underclassman who could back up Ballo for a season and then step into a starting role in 2025-26. Although I don’t know if any of them are good enough to qualify, I’m thinking of guys like Iwuchukwu, Reeves, Gardner, King and maybe Tolentino. Maybe the VCU guy as well. There’s even a 7-footer from Atlanta in the portal that Ya might know, although he may not be athletic enough for the B1G.

If Malone does go elsewhere I’d be okay with going after Humrichous if he’s still interested. Also Schutt-he and Goode are not redundant imo. In fact, it’d be a fascinating experiment to see what a lineup with Reneau, Mgbako, Goode, Schutt and Rice could do. Probably not much defensively, but lights out shooting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT