ADVERTISEMENT

Portal Madness - Think Wise to let things play out

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
First, I recognized that for the top, top players, probably required NIL money that IU doesn't have to spend, so won't be delusional.

Second, though I hated to lose McCollough and yes, Barner as well, thus far, no other IU portal names are too concerning and think we can actually upgrade over them via the portal.

Third: Given the absolute portal chaos, I believe the number of kids in portal FAR exceeds homes where they land. (Meaning a Grant Gremmel may not have a college offer him, or if so, a D2 or small college) And with that competition plus High school signing day, I think a lot of the musical chairs will be filled early by top teams, but IU will almost certainly not be left with a bare cupboard, but actually will have options and think the kids left will not be commanding $350K NIL deals (believe some are) but WILL want to have a shot to compete in the B10 which could still be a platform for them for NFL (or future transfer portal) if they do well. And it's still P5 B10 FB.

Per offense, specifically QB/WRs, I actually think the new Wiscy OL coaching hire can be played up big time if Allen & staff, who have been good recruiters (I think - some of recent classes not actually panning out so well, but portal recruiting has) - especially if they are open/honest about "We've had real OL issues the past few years, but we have hired a new OL coach who has sent 10+ guys to the NFL, so we believe we have the coach to truly right the ship on OL, and we even saw improvement the last 4 games with the temporary coaching change. We think having a spring/summer with our new coach will be a big difference.

Then looking at the portal, the sheer volume of QB's is pretty large. On Rivals list, Tuttle ranks about 22nd (it only shows 25 but Baze NOT listed among them) There are a few who have already signed (like BC guy to Pitt, UM to Iowa, and believe UVA to BC) But there are some big name college schools QB's (granted, some who maybe haven't played a ton) on the list and I feel like IU will have a chance to land at least ONE good one (and perhaps one lower to serve as a back up) to go along with Sorsby and the freshman from OH coming in who seems like a Peyton Ramsey 2.0 type. (a good thing!)

A few I glance at - don't know a ton about - but would think would be good gets (& realistic opportunities to get) at QB for IU:
-Malik Hornsby - Arkansas
-Kryon Drones - Baylor
-Jeff Sims - GA Tech
-

I hope you’re right, but the Chris Ballard approach to free agency sure hasn’t worked out real well for the Colts. Sitting tight and hoping there are some decent scraps left over worries me. No idea how they do it, but I’d feel a lot better if they’d announce a legit dual threat qb was on his way and maybe a couple of big mean dudes to block for him.

I don't know if the NIL will settle down without some changes. Young men are often too concerned about now not down the road which is a reason so many NFLers go broke. Delaying a chunk of NIL money for players would alleviate some of the issues and provide players with more long term security. There are several more changes I would like to see.

Last edited:
First, I recognized that for the top, top players, probably required NIL money that IU doesn't have to spend, so won't be delusional.

Second, though I hated to lose McCollough and yes, Barner as well, thus far, no other IU portal names are too concerning and think we can actually upgrade over them via the portal.

Third: Given the absolute portal chaos, I believe the number of kids in portal FAR exceeds homes where they land. (Meaning a Grant Gremmel may not have a college offer him, or if so, a D2 or small college) And with that competition plus High school signing day, I think a lot of the musical chairs will be filled early by top teams, but IU will almost certainly not be left with a bare cupboard, but actually will have options and think the kids left will not be commanding $350K NIL deals (believe some are) but WILL want to have a shot to compete in the B10 which could still be a platform for them for NFL (or future transfer portal) if they do well. And it's still P5 B10 FB.

Per offense, specifically QB/WRs, I actually think the new Wiscy OL coaching hire can be played up big time if Allen & staff, who have been good recruiters (I think - some of recent classes not actually panning out so well, but portal recruiting has) - especially if they are open/honest about "We've had real OL issues the past few years, but we have hired a new OL coach who has sent 10+ guys to the NFL, so we believe we have the coach to truly right the ship on OL, and we even saw improvement the last 4 games with the temporary coaching change. We think having a spring/summer with our new coach will be a big difference.

Then looking at the portal, the sheer volume of QB's is pretty large. On Rivals list, Tuttle ranks about 22nd (it only shows 25 but Baze NOT listed among them) There are a few who have already signed (like BC guy to Pitt, UM to Iowa, and believe UVA to BC) But there are some big name college schools QB's (granted, some who maybe haven't played a ton) on the list and I feel like IU will have a chance to land at least ONE good one (and perhaps one lower to serve as a back up) to go along with Sorsby and the freshman from OH coming in who seems like a Peyton Ramsey 2.0 type. (a good thing!)

A few I glance at - don't know a ton about - but would think would be good gets (& realistic opportunities to get) at QB for IU:
-Malik Hornsby - Arkansas
-Kryon Drones - Baylor
-Jeff Sims - GA Tech
-
Drones and Sims have already committed elsewhere.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
According to this Cal football insider Rogers ( IU offered) is heading to Cal. Another swing and a miss. Still some good QBs out there though.

Was watching one of the bowl games yesterday and heard the announcer talking about the portal and he made the statement that there are a lot of guys in that portal who aren't going to find new homes. Makes me wonder of the IU players, which ones won't find new homes.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Was watching one of the bowl games yesterday and heard the announcer talking about the portal and he made the statement that there are a lot of guys in that portal who aren't going to find new homes. Makes me wonder of the IU players, which ones won't find new homes.
...or even a couple returning to Coach Allen and staff...

Reactions: vesuvius13
Pretty much the only one I give a hoot about already landed in Muncie. The rest? Meh.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT