ADVERTISEMENT

IU Targets in the Portal Discussion Thread (UPDATED 4/25)

Scholarships and other advantages they get from the schools.

A few more yrs and college won't be worth watching either. The money in sports is so out of hand. Look at ESPN and all the little league games they now televise...............do the kids get pd for that?
😂 the little league World Series has been on espn since it started man that’s nothing new

Reactions: MrBing
Exactly. I get Deloach if IU didn't get Ware. But with Malik/Kaleb at the 4 and Ware/Sparks at the 5, we don't need any more bigs.

We need 2 wings who can shoot, drive and defend, 1 if they get Ledlum.
Listening to Sports Beat and they are talking like we are going to get Deloach. It makes no sense whatsoever. He would just be fighting sparks and banks for backup minutes. I gotta think we are going to go after a guard at this point.

I'm all about the portal, but pretty crazy that the portal is open before the tournament even begins. Schools like Louisville get a huge advantage to host portal targets while schools in the postseason have to simultaneously prepare for games.

Hopefully the IU staff is working hard on this because you would assume we have at least 3 openings with the impending departures of TJD and JHS, and likely 4 if Logan is gone as everyone predicts. IMHO, we need at least 2 impact transfers, if not three. We need 2 guys who can score, at least one person who can play the 4/5, and at least one deadly shooter (regardless of position).

I'll keep a running list of the targets, and where they ended up. If someone else has already created such a thread, let me know and I'll delete this.

UPDATED MON, 4/10/23

The latest that I can see:

COMMITTED TO IU
Payton Sparks, Ball State Big
- COMMITTED to IU

Kel’el Ware, Oregon 5
- committed to IU

IU TARGETS

Nicholas Timberlake, Towson PG/SG
- hosted in-home visit with entire IU staff
- no IU visit
- visited UNC

Chris Ledlum, Harvard 3
- hosted in-home visit with IU
- completed on-campus visit

Dalton Knecht, Northern Colorado 2/3
- did Zoom call

Cormac Ryan, Notre Dame 2
- staff is talking to him

Jalen DeLoach, VCU 5
- on-campus visit scheduled for 4/14

COMMITTED ELSEWHERE
Kowacie Reeves, Florida 2
- COMMITTED TO GEORGIA TECH

Caleb Love, UNC 2
- COMMITTED to MICHIGAN

Jamison Battle, Minnesota 4
- COMMITTED TO OSU

Kadin Shedrick , UVA 5
- hosted zoom call with Woodson
- IU doesn't make his Final Five

Micah Handlogten, Marshall 5
- COMMITTED TO FLORIDA
Daily Hoosier says we've been in contact with Kebba Njie, 6'10" 237 lbs, from PSU....247 also mentions us in a story dated 4/10. Maybe we are serious about a 4th interior player?

Daily Hoosier also says we contacted Brice Williams , 6'7" 215 lbs from Charlotte, who has some excellent #s. Can't find any confirmation elsewhere on him.

Reactions: 76-1
Woody's surgery has been rumored for awhile, so the fact that he was announced publicly right before Deloach's visit is hopefully a good sign. I'm hoping this means that the staff is using this as an opportunity to "let him down gently" not that we have Ware.

There is no reason to bring in Deloach with Malik, Kaleb, Ware and Sparks, especially if we end up getting Ledlum. Ledlum is a 3/4 tweener who is probably more of a 4 than a 3.

Reactions: bailey777
Woody's surgery has been rumored for awhile, so the fact that he was announced publicly right before Deloach's visit is hopefully a good sign. I'm hoping this means that the staff is using this as an opportunity to "let him down gently" not that we have Ware.

There is no reason to bring in Deloach with Malik, Kaleb, Ware and Sparks, especially if we end up getting Ledlum. Ledlum is a 3/4 tweener who is probably more of a 4 than a 3.
Deloach, Sparks, and Banks would all be fighting over limited minutes each game. It makes no sense. Sparks does not seem to be very highly regarded in the transfer portal rankings so I am not sure how good he even is but Deloach's state are nothing to writer home about either. My guess is Banks would maybe play over both of them.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I'm all about the portal, but pretty crazy that the portal is open before the tournament even begins. Schools like Louisville get a huge advantage to host portal targets while schools in the postseason have to simultaneously prepare for games.

Hopefully the IU staff is working hard on this because you would assume we have at least 3 openings with the impending departures of TJD and JHS, and likely 4 if Logan is gone as everyone predicts. IMHO, we need at least 2 impact transfers, if not three. We need 2 guys who can score, at least one person who can play the 4/5, and at least one deadly shooter (regardless of position).

I'll keep a running list of the targets, and where they ended up. If someone else has already created such a thread, let me know and I'll delete this.

UPDATED MON, 4/10/23

COMMITTED TO IU
- COMMITTED to IU

Kel’el Ware, Oregon 5
- committed to IU

IU TARGETS

- no IU visit
- visited UNC

Chris Ledlum, Harvard 3

- did Zoom call

Jalen DeLoach, VCU 5

COMMITTED ELSEWHERE

Caleb Love, UNC 2
- COMMITTED to MICHIGAN

- COMMITTED TO OSU

Kadin Shedrick , UVA 5

- COMMITTED TO FLORIDA
Don't know if anyone on here has the answers, but here are my questions right now:

1. Has Ware signed?

2. Is DeRoach still visiting tomorrow?

3. What the heck is going on with the X waiver?

4. Is there a leading realistic fall-back option if Knecht and Ledlum go cold?

5. What's going on with Bates? I've heard Michigan, KSU, Missouri. Any zooms/visits?

Reactions: .Gerdis
1. Has Ware signed?

2. Is DeRoach still visiting tomorrow?

3. What the heck is going on with the X waiver?

4. Is there a leading realistic fall-back option if Knecht and Ledlum go cold?

5. What's going on with Bates? I've heard Michigan, KSU, Missouri. Any zooms/visits?
1. Ware is a done deal

2. DeLoach visit still on

3. Nothing officially confirmed, but all signs point to him being back

4. Cormac Ryan and El Ellis are in the next tier of prospects that have mutual interest with IU should Ledlum and Knecht choose elsewhere. IU has recently reached out to Matthew Cleveland as well but has a long list of suitors and was recruited heavily by Michigan coming out of high school.

5. Think he's out on Michigan with Love and Burnett committing.

1. Ware is a done deal

2. DeLoach visit still on

3. Nothing officially confirmed, but all signs point to him being back

4. Cormac Ryan and El Ellis are in the next tier of prospects that have mutual interest with IU should Ledlum and Knecht choose elsewhere. IU has recently reached out to Matthew Cleveland as well but has a long list of suitors and was recruited heavily by Michigan coming out of high school.

5. Think he's out on Michigan with Love and Burnett committing.
Ok, Mr. Ware, please sign on the dotted line. By the X. It's just a formality.

The DeLoach situation is interesting. As defensive players, I think he and Ware can both play some on the perimeter. But offensively, only Ware has any game outside 10 feet. Malik might develop one over time. I wonder how much of this, as in the case of Sparks, is just trying to get physically tougher DeRoach is reputed to be tough, enthusiastic, and improving. He can also rim protect, although not as well as Ware.

Have you seen Ryan play much? Can he play any D? His DE #s are really bad, his offensive #s pretty good. Hard to imagine he'd be a happy camper playing 15 minutes a game after starting 4 years at Stanford & ND. Ellis' DE #s are also horrendous.....best player on a horrible team...but again the offensive #s are there. Is he a pure PG or more of a combo guard. I have not seen him play.

EDIT--I see where Ledlum is visiting Tenn and St. Johns this WE, and will probably decide where to go next week. Would we take both DeLoach (not DeRoach, my bad young man) and Ledlum??

Last edited:
Have you seen Ryan play much? Can he play any D? His DE #s are really bad, his offensive #s pretty good. Hard to imagine he'd be a happy camper playing 15 minutes a game after starting 4 years at Stanford & ND. Ellis' DE #s are also horrendous.....best player on a horrible team...but again the offensive #s are there. Is he a pure PG or more of a combo guard. I have not seen him play.
I didn't see Notre Dame much this year but I don't think Ryan is the fit we're looking for. Better scorer than Kopp but not nearly as good of a shooter or defender. El Ellis is definitely a combo guard forced to play point last year on an extremely poor coached Louisville team. Didn't pay much to his individual defense this year but Chris Beard and Ole Miss seem to want him bad and you aren't playing for Chris Beard unless you can defend.

The fact that Dalton hasn't visited yet AND is visiting TN this weekend with Ledlum is not a great sign for us.

Maybe CMW sees something out of Gunn at the 2 & Banks at the 3 in practice to make him believe that they will be a significant factor next year. After all, he did see them in practice every day.

And perhaps one of the two freshman will also provide valuable minutes as well. Who knows?
I am as excited about the prospect of Banks at the 3 next year as anyone in recent memory. Love his all around potential. Seems like I read somewhere that Woodson was incredibly impressed with Newton coming in too. I wouldn’t be shocked to see him playing 15 minutes a game next year backing up Galloway.

I am as excited about the prospect of Banks at the 3 next year as anyone in recent memory. Love his all around potential. Seems like I read somewhere that Woodson was incredibly impressed with Newton coming in too. I wouldn’t be shocked to see him playing 15 minutes a game next year backing up Galloway.
I was impressed with him earlier in the year. He was tearing things up when he got in in the last 2 minutes or so. Had amazing stats for a while. But his BT stats were really quite poor, especially shooting---42% on 2s, 33% on 3s, 37.5% on FTs. So.........I'm not quite understanding the basis for all of your excitement. In particular, I didn't see any one particular aspect of his game where he was really outstanding. To me, seems like a bit of a 'tweener.

• Wow
I was impressed with him earlier in the year. He was tearing things up when he got in in the last 2 minutes or so. Had amazing stats for a while. But his BT stats were really quite poor, especially shooting---42% on 2s, 33% on 3s, 37.5% on FTs. So.........I'm not quite understanding the basis for all of your excitement. In particular, I didn't see any one particular aspect of his game where he was really outstanding. To me, seems like a bit of a 'tweener.
We only have a small sample size, so the fans' expectations are all over the spectrum. I saw some good things from Banks, but I have absolutely no clue how he'll perform in a bigger role ... if he even gets more significant minutes. I wouldn't be surprised if he averages 6 minutes per game ... and I wouldn't be surprised if averages 22 mpg.

Reactions: TyWebbIU
We only have a small sample size, so the fans' expectations are all over the spectrum. I saw some good things from Banks, but I have absolutely no clue how he'll perform in a bigger role ... if he even gets more significant minutes. I wouldn't be surprised if he averages 6 minutes per game ... and I wouldn't be surprised if averages 22 mpg.
I'm fairly certain Banks will make a positive impact when given the chance. I hope he gets that this year.

You realize JHS just shot 42% and 33% right? My excitement comes from seeing a 6’7” kid who looks to be able to shoot, dribble, pass, rebound and defend multiple positions. Will it all ever come to fruition? Who knows, but the talent seems to be there. He reminds me of a more athletic Christian Watford.

Obviously too small a sample size to state anything definitive but I was impressed by what I saw.

I'm fairly certain Banks will make a positive impact when given the chance. I hope he gets that this year.
Tough to gauge how much of a chance Banks will get. Most thought he and Gunn would see decent minutes this past season, but that didn't happen. But they'll be sophomores, so who knows.

UPDATED MON, 4/10/23

COMMITTED TO IU
- COMMITTED to IU

Kel’el Ware, Oregon 5
- committed to IU

IU TARGETS

- no IU visit
- visited UNC

Chris Ledlum, Harvard 3

- did Zoom call

Jalen DeLoach, VCU 5

COMMITTED ELSEWHERE

Caleb Love, UNC 2
- COMMITTED to MICHIGAN

- COMMITTED TO OSU

Kadin Shedrick , UVA 5

- COMMITTED TO FLORIDA

Per the D.H., IU has reached out to U Conn's Naheim Alleyne, 6'4" 195 lbs. a reserve at U Conn, prior to that a 3 year starter at VT. 37% from 3s, but not much in the rebounding or assists departments.

Hard to know honestly until we see him play a good 15 minutes a game. You never know many said the same thing about Logan and others in the past.

The fact that Dalton hasn't visited yet AND is visiting TN this weekend with Ledlum is not a great sign for us.
No I wonder if we were ever even a serious player all we ever had was a zoom visit which is no big deal they can do 50 zoom visits from home. I think he just got hyped up on message boards and alot of us fell for it thinking we had a great shot with him.

Per the D.H., IU has reached out to U Conn's Naheim Alleyne, 6'4" 195 lbs. a reserve at U Conn, prior to that a 3 year starter at VT. 37% from 3s, but not much in the rebounding or assists departments.
He would be a serviceable 2 guard........that's about it......does this reflect the staff has little confidence in Gunn? A Timberlake or a Knecht is one thing......this level of recruit is another..........

The dead period ended yesterday, and opens up again from now until 4/19. Hopefully they can get Knecht on campus before 4/19.

The fact that Knecht hasn't schedule a visit to IU yet is concerning.

To me, I would prefer we get two wings that can play the 2 and/or 3, and save the 3rd scholly for later. One of them has to be an athlete who can drive the ball as well as shoot decently from 3, and the other can be a pure shooter who may not be a great athlete. We need two shooters, for sure.

I would love to get Connor E. from Wisconsin, but it sounds like he is happy playing on a team that scores 43 points a game.

Everyone would rather see a wing who can play the 2/3 and can shoot, but if we end up with this scenario, things look a lot better.

5: Ware, Sparks
4: Malik, Walker
3: Mackenzie (PLEASE!), Kaleb, Gunn
2: Dingle, Trey, Gunn, Newton, Leal
1: X, Cupps

Last edited:
Everyone would rather see a wing who can play the 2/3 and can shoot, but if we end up with this scenario, things look a lot better.

5: Ware, Sparks
4: Malik, Carter
3: Mackenzie (PLEASE!), Kaleb
2: Dingle, Trey, Newton, Leal
1: X, Cupps
Wait, why did we pickup Walker if he’s not listed on the depth chart? Is Carter supposed to be Walker?

Welcome back Michael Durr..
5dab0c716647d3e44b4e8990c9ee3eb4.gif

I didn't realize he is the #2 scorer in the nation. Looking at his 3 point shooting, driving game and pull-up ability, he would be ideal for us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT