ADVERTISEMENT

IU Targets in the Portal Discussion Thread (UPDATED 4/25)

He’s a troll. If anyone takes the “Michael durr” comparison they are as dumb as rocks. He’s not even a durr replacement. He’s the JG replacement and way better.
Walker can move his feet way better defensively. Will be a perfect adjustment guarding modern day bigs after Leak picks up his second foul 6
minutes in.
Maybe he can hold his hand up higher after each call?
Speaking of Reneau, I wanna see
10-15 lbs and 13.7/6.7 and less foul defensive calls on him.

I have an idea... IU could actually recruit high school kids and develop them over 4-5 years creating consistency throughout the program. What am I thinking... just nonsense.
I like your idea and thought, but the problem is the door to the portal goes both ways. Some kids aren’t willing to ride the pine and be developed. For every kid that is an upper-class man or graduate entering the portal, there are just as many sophomores unwilling to wait. Sophomores and Juniors “in waiting” are rare these days…and it is sad.

Walker as a part time starter (~25mpg) averaged 9.6 ppg and 5 Rebs back during the 2020-2021 season. Larranaga brought in Jordan Miller (we saw how good he was) as a portal transfer that gave Miami a true 4 guard lineup that relegated Walker to the bench in a backup role the last two seasons.

Walker can be more than serviceable at this level given the extended minutes. I don’t get the Durr comparisons? Doesn’t compare remotely to Michael. Walker is a bigger Geronimo who can be counted on to play 10-15 mpg in a reserve role who brings defensive versatility to the floor.

giphy.webp
I think that's why he called the post dumb. He knew it wasn't a joke.

• Sad
Reactions: Lucy01
He’s a troll. If anyone takes the “Michael durr” comparison they are as dumb as rocks. He’s not even a durr replacement. He’s the JG replacement and way better.
Dude averaged 2.8ppg wow. Durr averaged 5.7ppg last year. Walker averaged 4.9ppg for his career Durr 5.4ppg and wait for it Geronimo 4.2ppg.. You lost me when you said way way better then Geronimo.
lee-corso-not-so-fast.gif

Reactions: bailey777
Dude averaged 2.8ppg wow. Durr averaged 5.7ppg last year. Walker averaged 4.9ppg for his career Durr 5.4ppg and wait for it Geronimo 4.2ppg.. You lost me when you said way way better than Geronimo.
Stfu. You are too stupid to understand. Troll someone else.

• Angry
Reactions: Lucy01
Dude averaged 2.8ppg wow. Durr averaged 5.7ppg last year. Walker averaged 4.9ppg for his career Durr 5.4ppg and wait for it Geronimo 4.2ppg.. You lost me when you said way way better then Geronimo.
It's like you've mastered how to
drop memes in your messages and thats all you do now.

I remember Durr was actually pretty hyped up by some on here when we first signed him but than again every guy we ever get is hyped up at first. Just going off his stats he can probably give up lke 8-10 minutes a game maybe. But if either Malik or Ware gets hurt the drop off will be pretty big imo. I would not be shocked if Banks ends up playing the 4 as a backup as I think he is probably better.

Walker as a part time starter (~25mpg) averaged 9.6 ppg and 5 Rebs back during the 2020-2021 season. Larranaga brought in Jordan Miller (we saw how good he was) as a portal transfer that gave Miami a true 4 guard lineup that relegated Walker to the bench in a backup role the last two seasons.

Walker can be more than serviceable at this level given the extended minutes. I don’t get the Durr comparisons? Doesn’t compare remotely to Michael. Walker is a bigger Geronimo who can be counted on to play 10-15 mpg in a reserve role who brings defensive versatility to the floor

The year you speak of Miami was 4-15 in the ACC. The next year, when they played 1/2 the time, he was 14-6.

He's a guy that wasn't rated highly out of HS. He got time the first two years when Miami was really bad. And his productivity his last two years was the same and in some respects worse the longer he was in college. Like shooting 3/34 on 3s and averaging less than 5 rebounds for every 40 minutes he played.

I agree this guy is not a Durr clone. But there was at least a need for Durr. Had he been any good he would have played significantly more than he did. And Durr was at least as good as this guy. Durr blocked a few shots, got a few rebounds, and was more efficient offensively than this guy.

If we were going to get another player with large holes in his game, I would rather have seen a 5th year back-up point guard....perhaps someone who could help against the press when X was out of the game. Or more if X reinjures his foot.

Did Miami Crean this guy?? Who else recruited him out of the portal??

The year you speak of Miami was 4-15 in the ACC. The next year, when they played 1/2 the time, he was 14-6.

He's a guy that wasn't rated highly out of HS. He got time the first two years when Miami was really bad. And his productivity his last two years was the same and in some respects worse the longer he was in college. Like shooting 3/34 on 3s and averaging less than 5 rebounds for every 40 minutes he played.

I agree this guy is not a Durr clone. But there was at least a need for Durr. Had he been any good he would have played significantly more than he did. And Durr was at least as good as this guy. Durr blocked a few shots, got a few rebounds, and was more efficient offensively than this guy.

If we were going to get another player with large holes in his game, I would rather have seen a 5th year back-up point guard....perhaps someone who could help against the press when X was out of the game. Or more if X reinjures his foot.

So you want to go into a year with only Malik, Ware, and Sparks as post-players? Sometimes you just need depth and guys to go against in practice. As I mentioned earlier, this costs us nothing, and what happens in God forbid one of the other 3 bigs gets hurt, now we have 2 post players in the B1G which would be catastrophic.

If this was our 13th scholarship, I would agree that I may not like it with other holes, BUT this was a hole, and we still have 2 left to fill the backcourt needs. On another note, what 5th-year point guard do you think would come to pretty much not play knowing X will get 34-36 minutes a night if he is not in foul trouble? By all accounts, this is a kid who wants to experience IU basketball, has contributed for 4 years as a backup, and I am pretty sure it was explained to him that his role would probably be similar to last year and he was OK with that

Miami massively upgraded in the backcourt the last two seasons. Miami didn't struggle because Anthony Walker stared that year, they struggled because Chris Lykes got hurt and played two games for them.

There's a need for Walker just as there was a need for Durr. IU had 3 scholarship front court players prior to Walker signing, none with Walker's defensively versatility. IU wasn't looking for a 25+ mpg guy in Walker, so the amount of holes in his game is irrelevant. Need a 4 man who can guard out to the perimeter for 10-15 mpg. It's a role that was sorely missed last year when Race got hurt and something Geronimo could never be consistent with. This is essentially a one off trade with Geronimo.

It'd be one thing if we were using our 13th scholarship on Walker, but that isn't the case. Some people just don't understand the basic concept of roster construction.

Last edited:
Miami massively upgraded in the backcourt the last two seasons. Miami didn't struggle because Anthony Walker stared that year, they struggled because Chris Lykes got hurt and played two games for them.

There's a need for Walker just as there was a need for Durr. IU had 3 scholarship front court players prior to Walker signing, none with Walker's defensively versatility. IU wasn't looking for a 25+ mpg guy in Walker, so the amount of holes in his game is irrelevant. Need a 4 man who can guard out to the perimeter for 10-15 mpg. It's a role that was sorely missed last year when Race got hurt and something Geronimo could never be consistent with. This is essentially a one off trade with Geronimo.

It'd be one thing if we were using our 13th scholarship on Walker, but that isn't the case. Some people just don't understand the basic concept of roster construction.
So.....did Miami Crean this guy? Did anyone else offer out of the portal?

Reactions: bailey777
I don't understand why all the hand-wringing. Yes, a wing and/or shooter is a bigger need now, but this is just a good move for depth. Last year our primary frontcourt players were: TJD, Race, Reanu and Geronimo. 3 of those 4 are gone and were replaced by: Ware, Sparks and Walker, so we have essentially the same # of frontcourt players. We still have 2 open spots and I expect we will work to fill at least 1 if not both with the shooters/wings we'd all like to see.

I don't understand why all the hand-wringing. Yes, a wing and/or shooter is a bigger need now, but this is just a good move for depth. Last year our primary frontcourt players were: TJD, Race, Reanu and Geronimo. 3 of those 4 are gone and were replaced by: Ware, Sparks and Walker, so we have essentially the same # of frontcourt players. We still have 2 open spots and I expect we will work to fill at least 1 if not both with the shooters/wings we'd all like to see.
And he’s an upgrade to JG and Duncomb. He’s not injury prone. Hes only here one year. (Won’t hurt 2024 numbers)He’s a steady role player that won’t hurt you on defense. Says a lot he’s played in every available game in his whole 4 year career. People just need to stfu. They look stupid.

You do realize that for MW the defensive side of the ball is the most important, right?

Then again, maybe you don't since you only presented scoring numbers.

So you want to go into a year with only Malik, Ware, and Sparks as post-players? Sometimes you just need depth and guys to go against in practice. As I mentioned earlier, this costs us nothing, and what happens in God forbid one of the other 3 bigs gets hurt, now we have 2 post players in the B1G which would be catastrophic.

If this was our 13th scholarship, I would agree that I may not like it with other holes, BUT this was a hole, and we still have 2 left to fill the backcourt needs. On another note, what 5th-year point guard do you think would come to pretty much not play knowing X will get 34-36 minutes a night if he is not in foul trouble? By all accounts, this is a kid who wants to experience IU basketball, has contributed for 4 years as a backup, and I am pretty sure it was explained to him that his role would probably be similar to last year and he was OK with that
We pretty much only played three bigs last year and Malik coming off the bench was a legit talent. I would not be shocked if Banks ends up playing the four also. Walkers stats and time played just scream maybe 5-8 minutes a game at best imo. He is probably an upgrade over Duncomb for sure but over geromino who knows. I mean there will be games where Sparks or Walker will need to play over 15 minutes due to foul trouble, etc on the other two bigs. It will be interesting to say the least.

We pretty much only played three bigs last year and Malik coming off the bench was a legit talent. I would not be shocked if Banks ends up playing the four also. Walkers stats and time played just scream maybe 5-8 minutes a game at best imo. He is probably an upgrade over Duncomb for sure but over geromino who knows. I mean there will be games where Sparks or Walker will need to play over 15 minutes due to foul trouble, etc on the other two bigs. It will be interesting to say the least.

He played on a final four team.

He's a upgrade of JG.

Yes and do you remember how physically worn out our frontcourt was at the end of the year? We desperately needed a healthy Logan, a capable JG, or a ready to contribute Banks. Unfortunately, we did not have any of those 3 things so our front court was worn out and exhausted at the end of the year and played like it.

I have no clue what Miami did or didn't do, but seeing as Miami had 4 guys enter the portal and another guy in the draft while only bringing in 2 recruits and to date zero transfers, no it doesn't appear this guy was "Creaned" as they aren't in a scholarship crunch.

And the amount of offers Walker received is really irrelevant in this case. IU identified him in the portal for depth purposes and it was obviously a role Walker was comfortable taking on, hence the commitment. IU plays a much more traditional lineup than Miami and that is better suited for Walker. He's going to be in Bloomington for 9 months, what is the fuss? He either carves out a rotation role or he doesn't and won't see the floor but regardless he's gone after next year.

We only played 3 bigs last year because guys were either hurt and/or weren't ready to play. And that's with TJD being physically able to contribute 35+ efficient minutes a game. You're delusional if you think Ware or Reneau are going to be able to log those types of minutes next year, and do it efficiently no less. You need depth in the front court, Banks is not a front court player, he's a wing. Walker is big enough to guard on the interior and athletic enough to guard out to the perimeter.

But not shocking you would make a fuss over this.

You do realize that for MW the defensive side of the ball is the most important, right?

Then again, maybe you don't since you only presented scoring numbers.
He’s obviously a troll or stupid. Probably both.

He’s obviously a troll or stupid. Probably both.
Walker is a body that's it. Woodson was desperate to add a big. I didn't see any highlights of Walker being some defensive stud . This off-season we added no shooting to a team that was like 350th in made three's and we lost 80 percent of scoring good job Mike.

Walker is a body that's it. Woodson was desperate to add a big. I didn't see any highlights of Walker being some defensive stud . This off-season we added no shooting to a team that was like 350th in made three's and we lost 80 percent of scoring good job Mike.
You don’t play 16 min in every game on a final 4 team and not be a good bench guy. Another stupid troll take.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I forgot the roster was set in stone and the scholarships were all used up??? This post is going to go down high on the list of bad take history when all said and done.

I’ll give you minute. Who posts as just a body with no head? If you have mirrors you will see him often.

I’ll give you minute. Who posts as just a body with no head? If you have mirrors you will see him often.
Riddle me this Batman:

Assuming that we bring in the same number of post players as last year, and seeing that TJD basically never left the court, would depth be more or less important this year? Especially considering Malik having “some” foul issues.

Riddle me this Batman:

Assuming that we bring in the same number of post players as last year, and seeing that TJD basically never left the court, would depth be more or less important this year? Especially considering Malik having “some” foul issues.
We pretty much have. 4 posts and one is a better than 2 that left. TJD had to play because we had no one to else to share minutes. JG was hurt and really a basket case, race was hurt for a lot of games and Malik was decent but foul prone. This new group looks to have a high ceiling and will play a lot. Won’t have a 35 minute big. Looks like 2 will be stretch types (don’t confuse them as being shooters but guys that can use the bounce and pick n roll)and two post types. I’m looking forward to seeing them together.

Pretty much throw him in he is good for a few fouls and a couple rebounds but certainly not someone you want playing 15 minutes a game. We better hope malik and ware stay healthy. Other than ware so far are portal season has been pretty underwhelming.

I forgot the roster was set in stone and the scholarships were all used up??? This post is going to go down high on the list of bad take history when all said and done.
I'm not the only person like huh? With the Walker add.. Go to 38min mark..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT