ADVERTISEMENT

What is Windows Defender?

I've just got a bill for $299.99 for renewal for Windows Defender. Is this a scam?
It says Microsoft Account but email address is Windowsdefender864@gmail.com.

Any suggestion/comments will be appreciated.

I have people calling me on the mobile telling me that they are from MS and have detected some suspicious activities with my router. Most likely some hack or malware. Happened a few times now. Usually from some weird country code like Bulgaria or Uganda.

I have people calling me on the mobile telling me that they are from MS and have detected some suspicious activities with my router. Most likely some hack or malware. Happened a few times now. Usually from some weird country code like Bulgaria or Uganda.
I'm so bummed I never get those. I'd love to have them help me troubleshoot my Linux machine.

Reactions: sglowrider

I get those scams. I have had fun arguing with them when I have spare time. I spent 45 minutes explaining how I knew they were a scammer, yet they stayed on the phone insisting they were real. I kept thinking there was no way they would keep going, but they did.

I get those scams. I have had fun arguing with them when I have spare time. I spent 45 minutes explaining how I knew they were a scammer, yet they stayed on the phone insisting they were real. I kept thinking there was no way they would keep going, but they did.

lol.gif
lol.gif

I once let a guy go on for a while then told him there was someone at the door and I'd be right back. I set the phone down on the table and went about my day. Half hour later I picked up the phone and he was still there. I said "Thanks for holding, but I'm not an idiot." Dude was pissed.

Thanks for all those helpful comments. I figured I would a scam but thought I would check with you experts. The funny/sad thing is that they said they have charged me already. I checked both of my credit cards, and see no charges yet.

Thanks for all those helpful comments. I figured It would be a scam but thought I would check with you experts. The funny/sad thing is that they said they have charged me already. I checked both of my credit cards, and see no charges yet.
But then, there's someone out there who knows my financial information. S/h recently charged me twice for golfing in San Diego. The problem is I don't golf! Key Bank will take care of the problem.
Yes, I changed every passwords that have anything to do with financial. They are like 16 characters long, and will be very difficult to hack. I will see what happens.

But then, there's someone out there who knows my financial information. S/h recently charged me twice for golfing in San Diego. The problem is I don't golf! Key Bank will take care of the problem.

Yes, I changed every passwords that have anything to do with financial. They are like 16 characters long, and will be very difficult to hack. I will see what happens.
That's actually pretty common. American Express provides my company with our line of credit and I use an AMEX account for a lot of purchases. They catch bogus charges routinely, and periodically we have to have account numbers changed and new cards issued.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT