ADVERTISEMENT

Credit where credit is due (Edey)

TR32

All-American
Nov 20, 2009
Last night Edey was as dominant a player in the first round as I've seen in quite a while.
I didn't hear Grambling's post game comments but if it's anything other than "we've never faced a player anything close to as good as that guy" then they are still in shock from the beat down.
Granted, I don't think Oakland or Yale would be stupid enough to let their PG try to drive to the rack on a 7'4" first team All American, but still. Edey was pretty special as a player in that game. 30/20 game? Blocks like fly swatting?

I've got to hand it to Purdue and Painter. They have a guy who is ready for the fight this time. If there has ever been a year they deserve success it is this year.

i didn't see the game, but im guessing Edey shoulda fouled out about a dozen times judging from the games Ive watched him from this year! Must have been B1G refs!? Plus, it was Grambling!…I think Utah St. will give them a much tougher challenge.

Purdue has flaws. Quick guard who can defend on ball will give them trouble, as will fast tempo teams, but Edey is deserving of his accolades, and was on another level vs Grambling.

This Purdue team "can" win it all. You can count on one hand the teams that could beat UConn in this tournament....And Purdue is one of those teams. They tend to play up or down to the level of their competition. If they can just play their game, at a high level.....they can beat anybody. For the sake of the state of Indiana...and its basketball fan ....I hope they do. Besides, if Purdue wins the national championship....it might be the best thing to happen to IU basketball.

This Purdue team "can" win it all. You can count on one hand the teams that could beat UConn in this tournament....And Purdue is one of those teams. They tend to play up or down to the level of their competition. If they can just play their game, at a high level.....they can beat anybody. For the sake of the state of Indiana...and its basketball fan ....I hope they do. Besides, if Purdue wins the national championship....it might be the best thing to happen to IU basketball.
I still think they’ll have problems at the guard positions. Their guards were outplayed by Wisconsin’s guards and lately they’ve played close games, where earlier they were dominating. Similar to last season, actually. Painter seems to have them peaking in November/December, so I think they’ll struggle against top competition in March, based on how they finished in the B10.

Frankly, I don’t think they’re on the same level as the other one seeds.

I still think they’ll have problems at the guard positions. Their guards were outplayed by Wisconsin’s guards and lately they’ve played close games, where earlier they were dominating. Similar to last season, actually. Painter seems to have them peaking in November/December, so I think they’ll struggle against top competition in March, based on how they finished in the B10.

Frankly, I don’t think they’re on the same level as the other one seeds.

Only two 16 seeds have ever won. Grambling was simply not very good. Utah St. looks pretty legit and has size, including a seven footer: PU will have their hands full.
Everybody has their hands full when you get to the second round. While UConn is the obvious top team...they are beatable. Their last loss was 2/20...but Creighton destroyed them. Its going to take more than being able to beat anybody....got to be able to beat everybody too. Purdue "can' do that.

Grambling, Gonzagga, and Utah St proved to be less of a challenge. TN was a great game that went close to the wire.

All boats rise when a fellow B10 team wins outside the conference. I get the rivalry and hatred, but you are wrong g to say Purdue isn't a good team.

If their outside shot is falling, they are as good as any final four team because they have a strong inside/outside game.

Purdue gets into trouble when their shot doesn't fall and the other team shoots like 70% from three (NW, NEB, WIS).

Last night Edey was as dominant a player in the first round as I've seen in quite a while.
I didn't hear Grambling's post game comments but if it's anything other than "we've never faced a player anything close to as good as that guy" then they are still in shock from the beat down.
Granted, I don't think Oakland or Yale would be stupid enough to let their PG try to drive to the rack on a 7'4" first team All American, but still. Edey was pretty special as a player in that game. 30/20 game? Blocks like fly swatting?

I've got to hand it to Purdue and Painter. They have a guy who is ready for the fight this time. If there has ever been a year they deserve success it is this year.
Can’t criticize your post at all.
I am curious about NIL, his amount, his draft status. Surely he would have been a very high pick. The NBA salaries are good. I wonder why he came back.

Edey has worked extremely hard to improve what he is able to improve by hard work and determination. His conditioning for his size is exceptional. I don’t like watching him play but do respect what he has accomplished.

Reactions: BigMobe
Can’t criticize your post at all.
I am curious about NIL, his amount, his draft status. Surely he would have been a very high pick. The NBA salaries are good. I wonder why he came back.
I read someplace it was about $500k with the Purdue collective and he said he had multiple offers that were about the same. I don’t know if he has agreed other deals but he has big problems with NIL since Canadian and on a student visa. His agreement with the collective was based on some scheme that involved Canadian charities so he could be paid in Canada not the US. In the NBA he will need to convert to a work visa or obtain US citizenship. to be paid in the US.

Purdue has flaws. Quick guard who can defend on ball will give them trouble, as will fast tempo teams, but Edey is deserving of his accolades, and was on another level vs Grambling.
IU fans keep saying that, but hasn't Purdue beat almost the entire top 25, you would think by now that they would have encountered that. When Purdue has problems, it has been teams going off from 3! 2 L's came in overtime out of 4 TOTAL!

I read someplace it was about $500k with the Purdue collective and he said he had multiple offers that were about the same. I don’t know if he has agreed other deals but he has big problems with NIL since Canadian and on a student visa. His agreement with the collective was based on some scheme that involved Canadian charities so he could be paid in Canada not the US. In the NBA he will need to convert to a work visa or obtain US citizenship. to be paid in the US.
He is at 37th pick right now on NBA.com so maybe not much more than the $500k from NIL. A 2nd Round two way contract min is about $500k. If he gets full time roster spot from second round about $1 mil.

His style of play doesn’t fit that well with modern NBA offenses so similar to Woody’s offense in that regard.

Last edited:
Thanks, interesting. Leave it to politicians and lawyers to make things more complicated.

Reactions: CriticArisen
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT