ADVERTISEMENT

Why is "Edey is just tall" such a controversial take?

To say Edey has no skills and is "just tall" really is the height of basketball ignorance. His skills compliment and are complimented his height for sure, but he is skilled. 20 years ago he would be the first pick in the draft and heralded as a more skilled Yao Ming and some franchise would build a team around him. The NBA game has changed, with rules to further erode its roots and promote a more punkin and dunkin style of crap basketball.

Edey is "just tall" in the same way as Yao Ming, Bill Walton, Kareem, Russell, Shaq, and the Admiral were all "just tall" And maybe some team struggling now in the NBA decides to buck the current fad way of playing and tries to build a classic throw back team around Edey. Probably not, but just because the NBA crap style no longer favors classic post players doesn't mean they did not and still do not have skills.

Last edited:
Courtsensetwo, you made me laugh out loud. What in gods name makes you think IU fans are confident in this program. Have you not looked at the past months posts
The comment went completely past your comprehension level.

It's not. His size is absolutely a major factor. What Purdue fans get upset with when someone says "he's just tall" it's making a statement that his ONLY attribute is that he's tall and that's why he's good. If they made statements like, he wouldn't be AS good if he were shorter, that's a totally different argument and would be true. It's the word "just" that gets used in the original argument. It eliminates any other possible characteristics. There have been plenty of tall and big guys, but none of them have been as good or dominant as Edey. So no, he's not "just" tall. But yes, it is a major factor as to why he's this good.
Win Big Game

Run to IU board.

SepticToiletBoilie1 and 8 of his insecure buddies slither here for validation rather than celebrating an E8 birth.

Who is shocked???
As we all said - stop making idiotic purdue posts and everyone goes away. You confuse validation with correcting false narratives - I’m not surprised. Your feelings must be hurt with the name calling. It’s ok I know you are nervous.

To say Edey has no skills and is "just tall" really is the height of basketball ignorance. His skills compliment and are complimented his height for sure, but he is skilled. 20 years ago he would be the first pick in the draft and heralded as a more skilled Yao Ming and some franchise would build a team around him. The NBA game has changed, with rules to further erode its roots and promote a more punkin and dunkin style of crap basketball.

Edey is "just tall" in the same way as Yao Ming, Bill Walton, Kareem, Russell, Shaq, and the Admiral were all "just tall" And maybe some team struggling now in the NBA decides to buck the current fad way of playing and tries to build a classic throw back team around Edey. Probably not, but just because the NBA crap style no longer favors classic post players doesn't mean they did not and still do not have skills.
lol the NBA is as good as it’s ever been. And that’s because they’ve eliminated the need for low-skilled brutes taking up space. Plenty of 7+ ft players in today’s game. They’re there because they all have real tangible basketball skills; shoot, pass, dribble, and defend. Edey possesses none of those basketball skills. He’s a behemoth bigger than everyone on the court in college allowed to stand under the basket on defense and play a 1 man zone.

Even if an NBA team wanted to build a team around Edey’s dominance around the rim they couldn’t because he’s that big of a liability on defense.

Last edited:
As we all said - stop making idiotic purdue posts and everyone goes away. You confuse validation with correcting false narratives - I’m not surprised. Your feelings must be hurt with the name calling. It’s ok I know you are nervous.
Link to such idiotic pu posts?

Glad to see you and your insecurities living here after your win.

lol the NBA is as good as it’s ever been. And that’s because they’ve eliminated the need for low-skilled brutes taking up space. Plenty of 7+ ft players in today’s game. They’re there because they all have real tangible basketball skills; shoot, pass, dribble, and defend. Edey possesses none of those basketball skills. He’s a behemoth bigger than everyone on the court in college allowed to stand under the basket on defense and play a 1 man zone.

Even if an NBA team wanted to build a team around Edey’s dominance around the rim they couldn’t because he’s that big of a liability on defense.
You are arguing with purdue fans that don't have the critical thinking skills to understand your points. You have been nothing but complimentary of Edey and they just don't have the mental capacity to understand it.

They are amusing but desperately insecure

Cool. Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better
Then I will allow you the opportunity to clear up why you responded to my post in a way that had no relevance to what I posted.

Go ahead.

Then I will allow you the opportunity to clear up why you responded to my post in a way that had no relevance to what I posted.

Go ahead.
You said, “This is the difference between the two fanbases. One is confident while the other is insecure.” I read that as IU fanbase was confident and the other (Purdue) is insecure” Was that not you typing that statement.” Would you like to use the word “nuanced” in a sentence to try to clarify your statement? As for Purdue or IU fans going on each others board. It happens both ways so both groups need to stop bitching.

It's not. His size is absolutely a major factor. What Purdue fans get upset with when someone says "he's just tall" it's making a statement that his ONLY attribute is that he's tall and that's why he's good. If they made statements like, he wouldn't be AS good if he were shorter, that's a totally different argument and would be true. It's the word "just" that gets used in the original argument. It eliminates any other possible characteristics. There have been plenty of tall and big guys, but none of them have been as good or dominant as Edey. So no, he's not "just" tall. But yes, it is a major factor as to why he's this good.
He wouldn’t be a D1 basketball player if he was only 6’9 or 6’19, as is the case with most 6’9 guys who don’t have any basketball skills. You guys continue to prove my point yet again.

• Haha
Reactions: Boilermaker03
Wish you all a good offseason! I realize most of the fans on here are knowledgeable and the few who aren’t don’t represent you. My son will be a freshman at Kelley this fall so you had better give him some good basketball to watch!

It’s merely fodder for the talking heads, stirring up trouble that isn’t there. It’s not like Purdue needs extra motivation. They’ve had to listen to IU fans brag on their banners all these years, and then the humiliation of last year’s upset loss. They’ve got unfinished business when business has been good.

He wouldn’t be a D1 basketball player if he was only 6’9 or 6’19, as is the case with most 6’9 guys who don’t have any basketball skills. You guys continue to prove my point yet again.
I will never understand this line of reasoning. Edey isn’t 6’9, he’s 7’4, will likely be the 2 time national player of the year and is dominant on both offense and defense. Get out of fantasy land, why would Edey want to play like he’s 6’9 and not 7’4? There were 13 players in tournament 7’1 or taller, none more dominant than Edey.

I will never understand this line of reasoning. Edey isn’t 6’9, he’s 7’4, will likely be the 2 time national player of the year and is dominant on both offense and defense. Get out of fantasy land, why would Edey want to play like he’s 6’9 and not 7’4? There were 13 players in tournament 7’1 or taller, none more dominant than Edey.
I was replying to the poster who said he’d still be good if he were shorter….because he was skilled (he isn’t). Learn to read within context next time you DUMBASS.

I was replying to the poster who said he’d still be good if he were shorter….because he was skilled (he isn’t). Learn to read within context next time you DUMBASS.
So sensitive, learn to use your words to respond and not grade school put downs. This is the same argument you use in post #1, Edey is good because he’s tall. There were 13 players in tournament 7’1 or taller, none more dominant than Edey. Should Edey focus on having a point guard skill set and not one of a 7’4 center? Edey has a great skill set for a 7’4 center. I agree with you that he would be a horrible point guard. Sorry, I still don’t get it.

Since this is your thread, and you asked the question of why it's "such a controversial take" then maybe ask yourself this - and weigh in if you *honestly* are asking becuase you clearly are not being honest

You asked a loaded question to something you already had your mind made up upon, and are getting on here, acting dumb and all cute and shit. Then getting service dogs like Courtsense to predictably play enforcer to your dumb shit take

Quit fkn playing dumbshit, and explain why so many past and current coaches feel opposite of your opinion. Unless of course, you clearly know more than them

"low skilled brutes, taking up space"

Again, can't believe I'm wasting even 2 minutes of life, replying to your drivel. You seek no honest discussion to something you've already said

Is having exceptional, touch, feel, understanding of the game and tremendous bball, IQ part of a "skill"?

Not in IR16 world because he plays for Purdue or because the NBA has changed what it seeks.

I've read enough of your posts to know you're not dumb. You used to post on the Purdue board. But you're going out of your way to be freaking willfully ignorant here and it's lame. But you've had your platform and so it's a win for your ego.

Maybe, maybe not. There's no way to prove this argument of yours. You have to admit that Edey is really good and it's not just because he's big. Otherwise, what are all of those 7'+ slackers doing?

Maybe, maybe not. There's no way to prove this argument of yours. You have to admit that Edey is really good and it's not just because he's big. Otherwise, what are all of those 7'+ slackers doing?
Game Day!

First chance to go to the FF since Christ was arisen!

What shall a PU fan do?

Go to church and pray for a win?
Start early with Mimosas?
Bloodies?
Hang out and talk pregame with fellow PU fans?

Nope

Run to an IU board and continue to sob for validation while being boatraced by laughing IU fans.

Don't ever change...we love it.

• Haha
Reactions: Boilermaker03
"low skilled brutes, taking up space"

Again, can't believe I'm wasting even 2 minutes of life, replying to your drivel. You seek no honest discussion to something you've already said

Is having exceptional, touch, feel, understanding of the game and tremendous bball, IQ part of a "skill"?

Not in IR16 world because he plays for Purdue or because the NBA has changed what it seeks.

I've read enough of your posts to know you're not dumb. You used to post on the Purdue board. But you're going out of your way to be freaking willfully ignorant here and it's lame. But you've had your platform and so it's a win for your ego.
He has been nothing but complimentary of the young man. You guys just don't have the EQ to grasp it.

Here are the simple facts: if Edey played for IU this board would lionize him as one of the all-time greats. He plays for Purdue so you downgrade him.

There is a difference between the skillset required of a point guard and a center. There is a difference between the skillset required of a point guard and a shooting guard. Edey's skillset is that of a center. He dominates at that position and that is why he is likely two-time NPOY.

Last edited:

You obviously never saw Lew Al Alcindor or Bill Walton play college basketball.

I didnt watch purdoosh vs Tenn, but saw the box score! See Edey shot 22fts by himself!? Wtf is this unfair bs? Glad I didn’t watch!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT