Votes: 4 4.3%
  • $100K to $149.999K

Votes: 22 23.7%
  • $150K to $199.999K

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • Over $200K

Votes: 33 35.5%

• Total voters
LOL. Sure. Kid played for 10 years, starting as a young kid. We aren't counting that?
Actually, having thought about it, 8 years. He never played year around. He obviously was experienced. I responded to the post speaking of a HS coach insisting on year around play. I don’t think that is necessary to maintain or increase quality.

Reactions: DANC
Actually, having thought about it, 8 years. He never played year around. He obviously was experienced. I responded to the post speaking of a HS coach insisting on year around play. I don’t think that is necessary to maintain or increase quality.
It depends on how long you've played, how talented you are, what your peers are doing, etc.

I agree, if you're already a top notch player, you aren't losing a spot based on taking off one off-season. It's different for the bottom or mid-tier kids.

Technology happened.

It's caused kids to become antisocial to a extent and parents to become lazy and be okay with kids and how much screen time kids get.

My wife is a screen time nazi in our household. The kids get 1 hr / day....TV, tablets, video games, etc..... and then a hard cutoff. I not sure she'll let them have a phone until they are in high school. And then it will probably be a jitterbug.

My wife is a screen time nazi in our household. The kids get 1 hr / day....TV, tablets, video games, etc..... and then a hard cutoff. I not sure she'll let them have a phone until they are in high school. And then it will probably be a jitterbug.
Your wife is awesome.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier

So she's into humiliating the kids? That's just cruel.

My grandson played youth hockey for about 10 years. Had a bad coach and a bad season and then didn’t play for about a year and 4 months. The day before HS try outs he told mom and dad he wanted to try out. (Denver East, Colorado State Champs and National Champs). They questioned whether they should pop for the skates and finally decided if he didn’t make the team the kid would pay back. Well, the two day tryouts were the first time the kid skated in a year and 4 months. He made the JV team. Moral of the story, kids don’t need to play year ‘round.
And, in fact, it makes them better players if they participate in other sports.

Coaches can my very myopic.

It depends on how long you've played, how talented you are, what your peers are doing, etc.

I agree, if you're already a top notch player, you aren't losing a spot based on taking off one off-season. It's different for the bottom or mid-tier kids.
That wasn't the point. Coaches are requiring this in order to make the team. It's got nothing to do with talent.

We weren't going to do cell phones until high school, but because of volleyball and away games, we had to get her one because sometimes they weren't getting back until sometimes 8 at night and I wasn't just going to wait at her school for hours without knowing a time frame.

That sounds like a good plan to me. Our daughter has two little ones and they don't get any TV. Get to watch a couple videos on YouTube each day. You can see that they are just mesmerized when watching which isn't good in my opinion.

Reactions: 76-1
And the "comfortable" level has been cut in half.

People learned they didn't really have to have so much money after all.
But if you notice the "comfortable" level was going down pre-covid. Some of that makes no sense to me. With all the inflation the "comfortable" level should be increasing but it could be like you say and people have determined that they can live without all the latest and greatest gadgets.

Reactions: UncleMark
But if you notice the "comfortable" level was going down pre-covid. Some of that makes no sense to me. With all the inflation the "comfortable" level should be increasing but it could be like you say and people have determined that they can live without all the latest and greatest gadgets.

I noticed that as well.

I didn't read up on their methodology, but the whole survey looks like the people polled are a unique, narrow set that can hardly be seen as representative of much of anything other than themselves.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I noticed that as well.

I didn't read up on their methodology, but the whole survey looks like the people polled are a unique, narrow set that can hardly be seen as representative of much of anything other than themselves.

It's a national survey with a sample size of 1,000.... adjusted to match national demographics. With that sample size it should give a statistical significant result of opinions across the country. That's a larger sample size than many political polls.

It's a national survey with a sample size of 1,000.... adjusted to match national demographics. With that sample size it should give a statistical significant result of opinions across the country. That's a larger sample size than many political polls.

Looked to me like it was Schwab customers who pick their own stocks. Was I wrong?

Looked to me like it was Schwab customers who pick their own stocks. Was I wrong?

Yes.

About the Modern Wealth Survey

The online survey was conducted by Logica Research from February 8, 2022 to February 27, 2022, among a national sample of 1,000 Americans aged 21 to 75. Quotas were set to balance the national sample on key demographic variables.

Reactions: UncleMark
Yes.

About the Modern Wealth Survey

The online survey was conducted by Logica Research from February 8, 2022 to February 27, 2022, among a national sample of 1,000 Americans aged 21 to 75. Quotas were set to balance the national sample on key demographic variables.

Fair enough. I thought all the questions about the various "social justice" (for lack of a better shorthand term) concerns were odd. I'm surprised that so many claimed to be concerned about that kind of thing. I know I'm not. My investments are supposed to make me money, and that's really all I'm concerned about. I couldn't even tell you what individual holdings I have. I hope none of the various funds I've bought into aren't involved in God awful shit, but I couldn't tell you if they are one way or another.

Reactions: twenty02
I’m not yet wealthy then. I still qualify as filthy rich from my young perspective.
How many on this board do you think qualify as wealthy? I have a nephew that definitely does and he never made over $60,000/year at any time. He just saved and never bought a lot of fancy stuff.

Probably MCM66 qualifies as wealthy since he's invested in cryptocurrencies :)

I'm surprised that so many claimed to be concerned about that kind of thing. I know I'm not.
A lot of them just pay lip service and really don't do anything besides talk. We toured a copper mine in AZ and I asked someone if they ever got complaints about their mining and she said yeah quite a few but I would be willing to bet those who complain haven't given up anything they want that uses copper.

If you buy mutual funds or ETFs you can see what their holdings are but it would take a LOT of research to determine if any of their holdings are invested in anything you don't support.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Fair enough. I thought all the questions about the various "social justice" (for lack of a better shorthand term) concerns were odd. I'm surprised that so many claimed to be concerned about that kind of thing. I know I'm not. My investments are supposed to make me money, and that's really all I'm concerned about. I couldn't even tell you what individual holdings I have. I hope none of the various funds I've bought into aren't involved in God awful shit, but I couldn't tell you if they are one way or another.

ESG investing is all the rage!

In other words when it comes to investing this applies to you? :)

Hey, that is my job. I told my kids that they could be like me, or finish college. It worked perfectly.
Genetics. I had a huge fight with my daughter this past weekend. I came out of the bathroom at my crowded Starbucks to witness an absolutely brutal scene. She was pouring her drink into the trash can. As she was doing it she looked at me and goes: “wrong refresher.” I had never really sat down with her about money. Just bad parenting

Last edited:
ESG investing is all the rage!

It's astounding to me how much money is out there for these friggin' ESG consultants. They're getting paid huge dollars to express their subjective take on whether or not an investment or strategic decision qualifies.

Every deal we work on, the buyer hires an adivsor to complete ESG-related due diligence on our client. In most cases, 90% of the questions or requests are "N/A" and much of the remainder is not viewed favorably.

And yet, the deal gets done.

Reactions: twenty02
Genetics. I had a huge fight with my daughter this past weekend. I came out of the bathroom at my crowded Starbucks to witness an absolutely brutal scene. She was pouring her drink into the trash can. As she was doing it she looked at me and goes: “wrong refresher.” I had never really sat down with her about money. Just bad parenting
What the hell is “wrong refresher?”

I don’t drink coffee and I don’t go into Starbucks.

And what is this(?): “. . she looked at me and goes” And goes? Really?

I mean, like, you know, do you, like use “and goes” in your, like, business communication? I mean, that’s, like, a $10 Kangaroo Court fine.

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
What the hell is “wrong refresher?”

I don’t drink coffee and I don’t go into Starbucks.

And what is this(?): “. . she looked at me and goes” And goes? Really?

I mean, like, you know, do you, like use “and goes” in your, like, business communication? I mean, that’s, like, a $10 Kangaroo Court fine.
I wear sweatpants to work. As do my customers

Who's fault was it? Yours or SBUX?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT