Votes: 17 18.3%
  • Over $200K

Votes: 33 35.5%

• Total voters

Aloha Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 30, 2001
A common opinion of WC posters is that we probably have higher incomes than the average American. I'm not so sure about that, but it is an interesting question. Let's do this anonymous poll and get a better gauge on that. About 9% of Americans make less than $15,000 (been there, done that) and almost 12 percent make more than $200,000. The median was about $70,784 in 2021.

These are the ranges based on 2021 statistics we're using:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/203183/percentage-distribution-of-household-income-in-the-us/

So far the idea that WC posters and lurkers have higher income than most Americans is looking like it might be right. If you’ve not responded, please do.

That's kinda hard to know how to answer. Our income is probably less than half what it could be by taking money out of savings without depleting savings for at least 30 years.

Reactions: DANC and All4You
That's kinda hard to know how to answer. Our income is probably less than half what it could be by taking money out of savings without depleting savings for at least 30 years.
Right. I have pretty much total control of cash flow. . A baseload is baked in, but I can increase pretty easily by liquidating stuff.

Reactions: DANC and All4You
I'd say interest and investment income should count as part of your income.

Reactions: stollcpa
Right. I have pretty much total control of cash flow. . A baseload is baked in, but I can increase pretty easily by liquidating stuff.
I thought about how this might work for those that are retired. Retired people have sources of income, but they probably live on less than when they were still working. I expect that will be my situation in a year or two.

A common opinion of WC posters is that we probably have higher incomes than the average American. I'm not so sure about that, but it is an interesting question. Let's do this anonymous poll and get a better gauge on that. About 9% of Americans make less than $15,000 (been there, done that) and almost 12 percent make more than $200,000. The median was about $70,784 in 2021.

These are the ranges based on 2021 statistics we're using:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/203183/percentage-distribution-of-household-income-in-the-us/

Don’t forget how old the board skews. Age and income have a strong correlation.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
I thought about how this might work for those that are retired. Retired people have sources of income, but they probably live on less than when they were still working. I expect that will be my situation in a year or two.
Income number should be easy. Wages, interest taxable and non taxable, dividends taxable and non taxable, capital gains, IRA, other pension withdraws and social security gross for year, profit and or loss from Schedule C, F and pass through entities and rental profits or losses and any other reportable income.

So far we’re not matching up well with the percentages in the link. I didn’t expect many in the lower brackets, but I also didn’t expect so many in the top two or three brackets. I expected more in the middle and a little above middle. We’ll see how the results go in coming days.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Income number should be easy. Wages, interest taxable and non taxable, dividends taxable and non taxable, capital gains, IRA, other pension withdraws and social security gross for year, profit and or loss from Schedule C, F and pass through entities and rental profits or losses and any other reportable income.
Well it's not quite that simple to me. I've been converting my IRAs to Roth IRAs so that makes my income really high as well as my Medicare premiums.

Besides that I had several EE savings bonds that matured in Nov and so did my wife.

So far we’re not matching up well with the percentages in the link. I didn’t expect many in the lower brackets, but I also didn’t expect so many in the top two or three brackets. I expected more in the middle and a little above middle. We’ll see how the results go in coming days.

Distribution doesn't surprise me at all.

Well it's not quite that simple to me. I've been converting my IRAs to Roth IRAs so that makes my income really high as well as my Medicare premiums.

Besides that I had several EE savings bonds that matured in Nov and so did my wife.
I guess average the last 5 years.

I'm not surprised. Disregarding all the stupidity we have here on a daily basis, this is a fairly highly educated crowd.

I guess average the last 5 years.

For retired folks...I think using an estimate of HHI during working years (inflation adjusted) is the best response. I know people with $5m+ that are elderly and probably spend less than $50k/yr..... and their taxable is only their dividends and SS and RMDs. That doesn't give a great representation of their financial situation.

Yo Stoll! Totally off topic, but what's the deal with this Payroll Tax Refund program I see advertised on TV everywhere? Sounds kind of squirrelly to me, like the shysters and the Camp LeJuene payouts.

For retired folks...I think using an estimate of HHI during working years (inflation adjusted) is the best response. I know people with $5m+ that are elderly and probably spend less than $50k/yr..... and their taxable is only their dividends and SS and RMDs. That doesn't give a great representation of their financial situation.

Yeah, retirement messes everything up. My actual take home cash flow is greater now than it was when I was working. I'm no longer investing and no longer paying for health insurance. SS and the delivery job are paying all the bills and then some.

What they spend is irrelevant. If a 72 year-old has $5M their income is going to run up close if not over $200,000 per year. 3% interest only with RMD and social security will get you $200,000.

Yeah, retirement messes everything up. My actual take home cash flow is greater now than it was when I was working. I'm no longer investing and no longer paying for health insurance. SS and the delivery job are paying all the bills and then some.
My experience is that folks that saved and spent responsibility while working have better cash flow in retirement. You obviously have done that. I admire it!

What they spend is irrelevant. If a 72 year-old has $5M their income is going to run up close if not over $200,000 per year. 3% interest only with RMD and social security will get you $200,000.

I agree with you... was just giving an example as to why retirement income isn't a great barometer.

Given the debates and IU law school reminiscing from practicing and retired esquires (with JDs and LLBs) perhaps you should have.

Income and wealth are two different things and different questions. It’s easy to have a high income and be broke.
Good point, we have good incomes. Older lawyers seem to be overrepresented on the board. That is a group that should have incomes above American averages. But they might believe in conspicuous consumption and have lower wealth.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT