ADVERTISEMENT

Vandy is 3-6

Yeah my argument isn't if Romeo is a huge recruit for IU, he is. He's a monster recruit. One that could alter the path of the program.

Not because he's going to come here, put us on his back because he's better than Jordan, Russell and Lavar Ball combined and lead us to a title...it's because he's such a name and the best recruit from our state in a while.

I'm arguing against his on court hype. There's this sense of desperation around here in regards to him like he's going to be this gigantic difference maker on the court for his one year.

The odds are against him.

Now if he grows to be 6'10" this year they get better.

He's better than Blackmon because he's more athletic and rounded (Blackmon was a five star and considered the best shooting guard in the country). He's not Eric Gordon who at the high school level was thicker, faster, more explosive and a better shooter than anyone for a long time. He played in the same city league as Oden and Conley and dominated. Then he and Rose dominated the AAU circuit, something Romeo hasn't done (didn't win anything on AAU and got bitch slapped by Wilks who's a really good player...not Oden and Conley though).

I'm babbling.

IU needs Romeo badly but more for recruiting momentum and for program excitement momentum vs what he'll actually give us on the court.

I just hate seeing us turn into bitches like Illinois did for Cliff Alexander. Remember this? All for a guy who probably averaged six points and left after his one year of penance.

Yeah my argument isn't if Romeo is a huge recruit for IU, he is. He's a monster recruit. One that could alter the path of the program.

Not because he's going to come here, put us on his back because he's better than Jordan, Russell and Lavar Ball combined and lead us to a title...it's because he's such a name and the best recruit from our state in a while.

I'm arguing against his on court hype. There's this sense of desperation around here in regards to him like he's going to be this gigantic difference maker on the court for his one year.

He's better than Blackmon because he's more athletic and rounded (Blackmon was a five star and considered the best shooting guard in the country). He's not Eric Gordon who at the high school level was thicker, faster, more explosive and a better shooter than anyone for a long time. He played in the same city league as Oden and Conley and dominated. Then he and Rose dominated the AAU circuit, something Romeo hasn't done (didn't win anything on AAU and got bitch slapped by Wilks who's a really good player...not Oden and Conley though).

I'm babbling.

IU needs Romeo badly but more for recruiting momentum and for program excitement momentum vs what he'll actually give us on the court.

I just hate seeing us turn into bitches like Illinois did for Cliff Alexander. Remember this? All for a guy who probably averaged six points and left after his one year of penance.

And the year before that romeo lead New Albany to a state title..probably will do so again this year

Watch Vanderbilt play. They are terrible and their 3 best player are seniors. They are going to have very little to go with the 3 freshmen.

As others have pointed out most freshmen, even 5 stars, don't impact the game that much. For every Anthony Davis there are 6 Marcus Lees. I would much rather have Morgan and Davis next year over Shittu. Bagley (Shittu is no where near as talented) didn't have a prayer guarding Davis.

IU will have a really good frontcourt next year. Davis, Morgan, Smith, Hunter, and Anderson are a good group. I think you would be hard pressed to find 10 better frontcourts. Also, Drew isn't that good of a coach. I don't think IU will be elite, just better than a 20ish win Vanderbilt team.
I think you're wearing the Crimson glasses on this one. I think there will be 20 different front courts better than we'll have and probably 30 back courts.

And there's really no evidence to suggest Archie is a better coach than Drew. Both are good young coaches with lots of potential. If Drew was at IU everyone would be saying he's the better coach. It's just what fans do.

All I'm saying is if winning was RL's top priority he wouldn't have either IU or Vandy on his list. Much better options next year. Let's hope IU can help him prepare for the NBA better than any other program. That's what he's looking for.

WIth our roster next year? I am not so sure....we need scorers and he would give this team a very good one.
I don't disagree of course Romeo would make us a much better team. My only problem is you seem to look at who we already have commited like they are chopped liver. These kids can play. Phinisee once he gets settled in will be a better pure point than anyone currently on the roster. Damezi Anderson at 6"6 is already a great shooter and has the chance to be a very good scorer. Idk much about Hunter just that he is an athletic wing who can shoot. They all bring something this team doesn't currently have. Guys outperform their rankings all the time and these seem like the kind of players that Crean missed on that would give us headaches for 4 years at other big ten schools.

I don't disagree of course Romeo would make us a much better team. My only problem is you seem to look at who we already have commited like they are chopped liver. These kids can play. Phinisee once he gets settled in will be a better pure point than anyone currently on the roster. Damezi Anderson at 6"6 is already a great shooter and has the chance to be a very good scorer. Idk much about Hunter just that he is an athletic wing who can shoot. They all bring something this team doesn't currently have. Guys outperform their rankings all the time and these seem like the kind of players that Crean missed on that would give us headaches for 4 years at other big ten schools.
Phinnissee is way undersized..he isn’t going to be a major player early in his career.

Phinnissee is way undersized..he isn’t going to be a major player early in his career.
Yea you are right there has never been an example of a sub 6 foot guard having success early in a career at the college level....Honestly just a little bit of basketball IQ at the point guard position would automatically make this team better.

I think you're wearing the Crimson glasses on this one. I think there will be 20 different front courts better than we'll have and probably 30 back courts.

And there's really no evidence to suggest Archie is a better coach than Drew. Both are good young coaches with lots of potential. If Drew was at IU everyone would be saying he's the better coach. It's just what fans do.

All I'm saying is if winning was RL's top priority he wouldn't have either IU or Vandy on his list. Much better options next year. Let's hope IU can help him prepare for the NBA better than any other program. That's what he's looking for.
Wow, you mean you can tell what Romeo is thinking without even talking to him? That's amazing! Tell us ole wise one when is Billy D's wife going to be in town?

Yea you are right there has never been an example of a sub 6 foot guard having success early in a career at the college level....Honestly just a little bit of basketball IQ at the point guard position would automatically make this team better.
Didn’t say that it has never happened but there is a reason we were pushing for Garland when we had Phinnissee already committed.

I'm babbling.

That just never gets old.

The 10th best front court might be a little high, but I think the overall point still stands. IU should have a really good frontcourt next year. One thing I will point out is we will be much improved at the 3 position. Currently our options are a 6’2 shooting guard(who can’t shoot anymore for some reason), a walk-on, or Hartman who isn’t athletic enough to stay with a lot of 3s. Anderson would be the best shooter on the team this year and Hunter is athletic enough and long enough to be a really good defensive wing.

I disagree with the comparison between Archie and Drew. Archie was a lot more successful at a more prestigious school and in a tougher conference. There is a reason Drew took the Vanderbilt job, he didn’t have any better options. I personally would have lost my mind if IU would have hired him away from Valpo. He might end up better than Archie, but there isn’t any facts right now to support that claim.

Last edited:

Please list the 20 front courts & 30 backcourts.

tenor.gif

Reactions: IUgradman
It would be huge if IU got Romeo. Luckily, we also have a lot of good recruits on board in 2019, the main ones being Brooks and Davis. Davis might end up being a five star after the AAU circuit next year

And the year before that romeo lead New Albany to a state title..probably will do so again this year

Don't tell Floyd Knobs he's winning state this year.

Sorry, it was too easy.

I sincerely hope we land Romeo. He would be a monster get and slip right where Johnson is right now.

I'm just not going to think he's the salvation.

I have always gotten annoyed when fans value recruits more than the guys who are actually here or have committed.

I would be delighted if RL comes to Bloomington. However, I'm not going to lose a lot of sleep over what he does. One and dones aren't my cup of tea. Remember how Eric Gordon injured his wrist his freshman year? He certainly wasn't 100% and RL could step onto any campus and never play a single game by blowing out a knee.... God forbid this happen, I doubt he would take a medical redshirt.....

McHoop
Yes, remember the Kyrie Irving drama and he is injured the year he was at Duke.

Don't tell Floyd Knobs he's winning state this year.

Sorry, it was too easy.

I sincerely hope we land Romeo. He would be a monster get and slip right where Johnson is right now.

I'm just not going to think he's the salvation.

I have always gotten annoyed when fans value recruits more than the guys who are actually here or have committed.
We are in a rebuild..getting romeo makes year 2 a much better year and a shorter rebuilding period. Next season without him our guards will be a liability.

California had three five star players come in a couple years ago with little else and barely made the tourney, losing in the first round if I recall correctly.

Last year MSU had supposedly their greatest class ever, everyone was frothing about all these five stars Bridges, Langford, Winston and the underrated Ward and....they didn't do s$#t. Had one of their worst relative seasons.

The fact that they all came back is a different matter.

If Romeo goes to Vandy so be it. They won't do s#it either the one year they have him other than score a bunch of points that no one will see since they are never on national TV.

Cal’s best player broke his wrist the practice before the first round game. They were poised to make a run but couldn’t do it without their star PG.

Cal’s best player broke his wrist the practice before the first round game. They were poised to make a run but couldn’t do it without their star PG.

Bird wasn't their best player.

Bird was their 3rd highly ranked player who was a junior.

Jaylen Brown (6'7") and Ivan Rabb (6'10") were two five star recruits that joined Bird (with Brown being a top 5 guy)...so it's not exactly a comp but close.

Still that Cal team lost 11 games, finished ranked 23rd (28th in Ken pom), finished 3rd/4th in the pac 12 with 6 losses, came in as a 4 seed and got bitch slapped by Hawaii double digits right off the bat.

Then Jaylen Brown said bye Felicia!!

Last edited:
Bird was their 3rd highly ranked player who was a junior.

Jaylen Brown (6'7") and Ivan Rabb (6'10") were two five star recruits that joined Bird (with Brown being a top 5 guy)...so it's not exactly a comp but close.

Still that Cal team lost 11 games, finished ranked 23rd, finished 4th in the pac 12 with 6 losses, came in as a 4 seed and got bitch slapped by Hawaii double digits right off the bat.

Then Jaylen Brown said bye Felicia!!
Still were a dangerous tourney team. Those guys improved Cal. You saying you wouldn’t want talent guys like that?

Make that 3-7. And they could land three top 15 recruits in a single class. Nothing dirty there though.
You tell 'em !!!! Schools like Vanderbilt, Duke, Stanford, and Northwestern are all lined up and ready to go in the contest to see who can be Louisville II .Those blue-ribbon academic institutions are the odds-on favorites to be found guilty in the SCORES of athletic dept. investigations since the beginning of time !!!

Reactions: Bigreddfredd
You tell 'em !!!! Schools like Vanderbilt, Duke, Stanford, and Northwestern are all lined up and ready to go in the contest to see who can be Louisville II .Those blue-ribbon academic institutions are the odds-on favorites to be found guilty in the SCORES of athletic dept. investigations since the beginning of time !!!

It doesn't matter what kind of academic institution it is...it all depends on the coach.

We were a bastion of recruiting honesty for 35 years and then Kelvin Sampson destroyed that in a season and a half.

When you build a program honestly there's a natural increase in recruiting. See Northwestern, Virginia or Duke back in the day. It builds and improves naturally.

Anytime a new coach starts reeling in five star talent (especially a recruitment like Shittu) to a program that's never had it, much less three in one season, it's extremely fishy.

See Todd Bozeman at Cal.

Good luck, it's about time my pious Vandy friends got brought down to Kentucky's level of scrutiny.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
It doesn't matter what kind of academic institution it is...it all depends on the coach.

We were a bastion of recruiting honesty for 35 years and then Kelvin Sampson destroyed that in a season and a half.

When you build a program honestly there's a natural increase in recruiting. See Northwestern, Virginia or Duke back in the day. It builds and improves naturally.

Anytime a new coach starts reeling in five star talent (especially a recruitment like Shittu) to a program that's never had it, much less three in one season, it's extremely fishy.

See Todd Bozeman at Cal.

Good luck, it's about time my pious Vandy friends got brought down to Kentucky's level of scrutiny.
Yeah it's one thing if it was just Garland, a hometown kid. But Shittu and now potentially Romeo. If nothing else it definitely stinks. Really similar to the ole miss football situation a couple of years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT