ADVERTISEMENT

Unhappy players.

Didn't RMK play his 5 best from the previous practices and bench the others? That is what creates motivation....

Yes, it's interesting....just looking at the raw #s.........

His total minutes so far this year this year are almost equal to his total minutes his entire freshman year.

Looking at his #s, he;s down 2-3% each on 2 pt%, 3 pt%, and FT%. He's scored at the same rate (basically) He's down a little in rebounds. His assets and TOs are pretty close. The biggest differences are in steals (he's up 14) and fouls (less than 1/2 than as a freshman). His DE #s reflect those last two stats. I think the eye test confirms the stats.

But to say he improved last year from his freshman year.....no way.
He had a really bad sophomore year ..

Didn't RMK play his 5 best from the previous practices and bench the others? That is what creates motivation....
Bob Knight generally determined 1st half starters from practice performance and his 2nd half starters from 1st half performance.

Yes, it's interesting....just looking at the raw #s.........

His total minutes so far this year this year are almost equal to his total minutes his entire freshman year.

Looking at his #s, he;s down 2-3% each on 2 pt%, 3 pt%, and FT%. He's scored at the same rate (basically) He's down a little in rebounds. His assets and TOs are pretty close. The biggest differences are in steals (he's up 14) and fouls (less than 1/2 than as a freshman). His DE #s reflect those last two stats. I think the eye test confirms the stats.

But to say he improved last year from his freshman year.....no way.

If only there were advanced stats or something that showed these things: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/justin-smith-3.html

Going back to OP, this is all BS, right? No other stories to back any of this up? Cool, thanks.

Reactions: MrBing
Yes, as he is better than anyone on the bench, and 3 of the other starters.
Smith can put up 20 when he has an athletic advantage on the person checking him. Those big nights are offset when he is matched up against an equally talented player. It makes sense, but I do feel he needs to win more battles against the talented players to move into the next category of player. He is a junior and might hit that top level where he is more consistent next year and is one of the top scorers on the team.

Reactions: cshartle123
If this is true, and regardless of whom, I think this suggests Archie has lost the team for the second year in a row.

If this is true, and regardless of whom, I think this suggests Archie has lost the team for the second year in a row.

First of all....if this is true, it ought to be easy enough to tell if this bears any resemblance to truth tomorrow night. He's not going to tell two players "You're welcome to leave anytime you want" and then play them the way he would if everything were hunky-dory. Even if it's overstated, but a couple guys are really in the doghouse, it should be easy to tell.

Second...if it's true, I'd say it's entirely possible that it would *gain* him the team (the rest of it, anyway). A sports team is not unlike any other group of people -- if one or two in a group are griping, loafing, or acting in any other way that breeds resentment, then the entire group suffers. The best way to handle a situation like this, in my experience, is first to acknowledge the detrimental attitude/behavior, next to make a good faith effort to correct it, and lastly (if it's not corrected) to excise the problem person/people.

You don't want to have to get rid of problem people. But you're almost always better off if you do.

What this sounds like to me and from what I've read elsewhere is that Archie lost it in the locker room and told guys to transfer or quit if they don't want to play hard. This in turn leads to a silly rumor that people are leaving...just a thought.

What this sounds like to me and from what I've read elsewhere is that Archie lost it in the locker room and told guys to transfer or quit if they don't want to play hard. This in turn leads to a silly rumor that people are leaving...just a thought.
Where did you hear “Archie lost it in locker room” and I can’t believe he didn’t “lose it” last year when they lost 11/12

Time will tell.
But if we have chemistry problems again, at some point it becomes the coaches.
I agree, maybe this is all nothing.
Time will tell

PER and efficiency stats say otherwise..

Good freshman year, horrible soph, good Jr so far. He has also improved his defense this year, especially help side.

IMO, this could be related to his usage rate too. I expect in most cases a PER might go down if you are relied upon more especially when your game has some of the ball handling and shooting deficiencies he has. Unfortunately they probably had to rely on him a bit to much last year. To bad Brunk wasn't here a year ago.

Reactions: T.M.P.
I could see Davis choosing to walk away. I thought he checked out after he became the last option off the bench in the front court.

Green has more to play for, but his body language on the court and the bench tells a different story. I watched my DVR of the game and his energy was low. I don't want Green to quit, but if he is causing trouble it is better for him to leave. If so, we will have a better picture of who caused the issue between Romeo and Devonte. Romeo's closeness with Rob is a clue, but I haven't blamed either.
didn't Davis just win the gold jersey?

Archie didn't announce any departures during the OSU pregame media session and said that practice and the discussions were good since the NW game. He reiterated that we need more leadership from the older guys and that everyone needs to be pulling for the team and not themselves. Seems like, if this rumor was true, no one took Archie up on his offer.

Reactions: Cavanagh
Archie didn't announce any departures during the OSU pregame media session and said that practice and the discussions were good since the NW game. He reiterated that we need more leadership from the older guys and that everyone needs to be pulling for the team and not themselves. Seems like, if this rumor was true, no one took Archie up on his offer.
This does sound like issues though.

i hope so.

Reactions: justjames
If that is how the rumor started, I say good for Archie. I think there are many players who have great physical ability but do not have the passion to do what it takes to be great.
That frustrates some like me who if we had the ability to play we would live and breath the film room, the coaches words, the weight room, etc.

i hope so.
agreed altho it begs the question- why did it take so long to address the issues in that manner? Similar to last year when he got all "tough" after the Minny game when he should have been that way at least 5 games prior if not more. Either way, I'm not expecting a win, but I think we look different tomorrow.

JS averaged 6.5/3.7 as a frosh, 8.2/4.5 as a soph, 12.2 /5.4 as a jr.. You just don't like him, as all stats disprove your agenda.
Come on, please don't make Smith out to be a good player. I get there is no one else to step up be he is so inconsistent. He can be both terrible and good in the same game.

Reactions: kmathum
One thing (besides candy stripes) that has remained constant with IU hoops for the last five decades...is rumors. 94.37% of which have been false or greatly misleading.

I was being sarcastic. I'm sure there were rumors, but it's mostly magnified now a days due to the internet and because the state of the program is in purgatory.

Yes to social media, but BK's years were jam packed with wild rumors from all directions.

Reactions: JIMSHAM
Yea, I can only imagine especially in the late 70's/80's. I wish I would have been in Btown in the 80's. However, I was there from 2000-2005 so at least I got the last taste of late March run.

Hey at least you got to see a kid fall off a telephone poll outside of Kilroys. If you weren’t downtown after the duke win, you didn’t see shit!

Reactions: justjames
Hey at least you got to see a kid fall off a telephone poll outside of Kilroys. If you weren’t downtown after the duke win, you didn’t see shit!
lol. only thing i remember was running to showalter fountain and a friend of mine and i got tangled up and bit the pavement pretty bad.. Also, I'm fairly certain I cried after the game as I couldn't believe we beat Duke. I was also not sober, but duh

Come on, please don't make Smith out to be a good player. I get there is no one else to step up be he is so inconsistent. He can be both terrible and good in the same game.

Who, other than TJD, is better than Smith on the IU roster? Who would you give his minutes to?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT