ADVERTISEMENT

Unhappy players.

lol. only thing i remember was running to showalter fountain and a friend of mine and i got tangled up and bit the pavement pretty bad.. Also, I'm fairly certain I cried after the game as I couldn't believe we beat Duke. I was also not sober, but duh
There were some good ones...usually included black helicopters which supplanted tracking private airplanes. Others have to do with damage in locker rooms, or fans being upended, or players walking home from some conference road game or missing a ride. Closed practices always started rumors. Team meetings without the coaching staff were good for starting rumors. Sightings around Btown and High School coaches always were fertile grounds. Recruiting by other B1G coaches inside of the state were grounds for starting a war. FedEx and the NCAA stirred the pot. Seasons in the Stink, sports writers, ESPN, and those that didn't get scholarships to IU caused more than a few. RMK's weekly TV show was a hoot for stirring it up. And how about referees like TV Teddy?

Reactions: Radio Zero
We have a group of older kids that play the bulk of the minutes: Green (sr), Durham (jr), smith (jr), Brunk (jr), TJD (freshman, but likely jumps after next year).

then we have all the younger guys. Phinisee is the notable one, and he has struggled all year.

the first group of players are currently all of our best players. Green may play awful an awful lot of the time, no denying his ceiling. We are thin at guard, and probably need to spend more time in a 3 guard lineup, especially to help us defensively against drivers.

so what should the coach do?

Put the lineup out there with the best chance of winning now? Or, say to heck with it, let’s try to develop for the future? This isn’t easily answered as it affects everything: Team culture, leadership (especially for the future), and even recruiting. We saw what happened with Crean and his last few recruiting classes; it is really hard to recruit when a coach is on the hot seat.

today should be interesting. Not so much because we have a conference game, but I am extremely curious to see our rotation, and the level of preparation, intensity and concentration that our team has. We are 12-3, and getting ready to play lots and lots of good teams. We can beat any of those teams and lose to any of them. This year it’s all about being consistent. Talent is down across the board in CBB.

we have enough talent, we have plenty of experience. Now is the time to come together as a team.

Reactions: Sassy61
It will be interesting to see who starts and then who subs.
If Archie unhappy with some players efforts, and if he follows through, we should see this between 12 and 12:30 today.

Was there then. Knew Joby a little. Never saw any sign of that and also never heard that. Not saying it was not true but from my little interaction I am skeptical.
Yeah, there's no telling how a rumor like that gets legs. Could be completely bogus. Coulda been a one time thing. Coulda been mistaken ID.

Archie is getting paid to win now.
Not soothe some ego on the bench.
Play the five guys at the time who have the best chance of getting IU the win today.
Then do that for every game, with proper match-ups.
The malcontents and bad attitudes will sort themselves out.

Reactions: BannerYear
Hopefully RMK is there today.
It would bring closure to the greatest basketball coach in IU history.
Then start putting RMK's picture and statue where he belongs with his winning players in Assembly Hall.

Reactions: Sassy61
This makes no sense. If the coaches don't want them, they can just kick them off the team. If a player is unhappy, do you really think they'd be happier if the coaching staff basically tells them they're not wanted? Then keep them around to sow discord? This seems like the worst thing that could be done with an unhappy player that hasn't asked for a release.

I'm going to call BS.

It makes perfect sense to me. It's a coach or Archie calling a couple of players out on their BS sulking. People, especially kids, easily fall into a felling sorry for themselves attitude.

One way to motivate them can be to call them out and ask them if they want their release. I know I have used it on my teenager more then once (showed him where the door was). My guess is it is true, and more of a way to shock the kids then to really want them to leave.

Reactions: kkott
It will be interesting to see who starts and then who subs.
If Archie unhappy with some players efforts, and if he follows through, we should see this between 12 and 12:30 today.
I saw nothing different except no Anderson. They said he was sick. False rumor to start or just a coach firing up a team?

I saw nothing different except no Anderson. They said he was sick. False rumor to start or just a coach firing up a team?
Nothing different?

The team played with energy almost the whole game. Now that is different.

They played decent defense almost the whole game. Now that is different.

They disrupted OSU's guards, deflected and stole the ball numerous times, and kept the OSU center from making a difference in the game. Now those were different.

When Green came in because he didn't start, he seemed under control and trying to not do stupid stuff. One three point shot that was too early was an exception. And he was supporting the team while not in.

Even DeRon Davis got fired up. That was...if not different...but was actively supporting the team.

And Indiana looked in control of the majority of the game. And won against the #11 team in the nation!

Not only that, but Archie Miller seemed to substitute more in the flow of the game.

Vive le difference!

Reactions: kkott and minneman
Nothing different?

The team played with energy almost the whole game. Now that is different.

They played decent defense almost the whole game. Now that is different.

They disrupted OSU's guards, deflected and stole the ball numerous times, and kept the OSU center from making a difference in the game. Now those were different.

When Green came in because he didn't start, he seemed under control and trying to not do stupid stuff. One three point shot that was too early was an exception. And he was supporting the team while not in.

Even DeRon Davis got fired up. That was...if not different...but was actively supporting the team.

And Indiana looked in control of the majority of the game. And won against the #11 team in the nation!

Not only that, but Archie Miller seemed to substitute more in the flow of the game.

Vive le difference!
Sorry, poorly stated my thought. What I should have said (hope I do better this time) is that if there were players who did not want to put forth effort, perhaps were planning to leave, they would not play. I think Archie said something about not going as deep as he had in the past. I meant by nothing different that the same players seemed to be playing. No one who would normally get 10 plus minutes did not.
Yes, from intensity standpoint it was very different.

Sorry, poorly stated my thought. What I should have said (hope I do better this time) is that if there were players who did not want to put forth effort, perhaps were planning to leave, they would not play. I think Archie said something about not going as deep as he had in the past. I meant by nothing different that the same players seemed to be playing. No one who would normally get 10 plus minutes did not.
Yes, from intensity standpoint it was very different.
Agree with your thoughts. I may have overreacted to your first post. Thought that I may have interpreted it incorrectly.

The keys are that Archie probably had that serious talk with some of the players. He also made substitutions and lineups much better than his previous attempts to get everyone in for experience sake.

Reactions: Jssanto
Yeah, there's no telling how a rumor like that gets legs. Could be completely bogus. Coulda been a one time thing. Coulda been mistaken ID.

Maybe because people continue to repeat it on a message board without any shred of evidence or knowledge that it's true? Sheesh, c'mon Man!

Maybe because people continue to repeat it on a message board without any shred of evidence or knowledge that it's true? Sheesh, c'mon Man!
I know, I know. I only posted it in response to someone who was specifically asking for old rumors. I don't think Joby is gonna be hurt by it.

I know, I know. I only posted it in response to someone who was specifically asking for old rumors. I don't think Joby is gonna be hurt by it.

Next time just say "rumors of a former player under Knight" or something. You wouldn't want to read someone saying your Dad used heroin while at IU, and frankly, it sounds like you have more evidence/knowledge of this than you do about Joby Wright.

Did you watch the game with your eyes closed? Jesus Christ this team wouldn’t get a pat on the back from some people even if they won the NC.
They played great, stop hating.

Yeah, I obviously have no personal knowledge of that...but dad wouldn't have invented it. He probably did not have personal knowledge either...but he might have. He certainly used drugs at IU.

At that time, heroin was a stereotypical "black" drug. Could have been that racial prejudice was behind such rumors.

Did you watch the game with your eyes closed? Jesus Christ this team wouldn’t get a pat on the back from some people even if they won the NC.

I had a dream last night we won the NC and you should have seen the disinterested look on Smith's face!

I kid, I kid!

I phrased it poorly. My point was minutes and substitutions. If some players wanted out I would not have expected them to play but I saw the same folks. I certainly agree the intensity was different.

Yikes. A 10 minute drought and 16 missed free throws hardly equal "played great." If you want to go with "played hard as hell" or "matched OSU's physicality" or something like that, I'd agree. But I'm of the opinion this team can play a much cleaner game with the talent level and depth. I'm really hoping a great game is yet to come.

Next time just say "rumors of a former player under Knight" or something. You wouldn't want to read someone saying your Dad used heroin while at IU, and frankly, it sounds like you have more evidence/knowledge of this than you do about Joby Wright.
I wouldn't be bothered by such a rumor. I wouldn't be surprised to find out my dad used heroin. Still, I understand your point.

Edit: to clear up an ambiguous pronoun

I’ve heard that two players are unhappy with their development. Hunter and Anderson.

Well, I heard that "OSU is winning this game for sure", because...

This is a typical Archie/Holtman game. Holtman has better shooters and he will find a way to get them enough shots to win.
This program is trash. No two ways around it. Their Center would be the best shooter on our team.

Look again. Your perception was obviously flawed or maybe you don;t understand ..

Only 8 players played 10 or more minutes. And the subbing was cut in half especially in the second half. . where 8 players played 98 of the 100 minutes.

You guys still misunderstand subbing now as much as you did in the Crean days. Stints played is what matters along with length of stint, and total minutes not how deep into the bench a coach goes. A player playing two 2 minute stints, is not a rotation player, he's spot reserve.

smdh .

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT