ADVERTISEMENT

Davis and Schifino

JHS would have been drafted if he went to many other schools.

Boogie and other guards have been turning us down for a year now. That is the tell regarding how well players and their advisors think we develop guards.
Woody needs to lay off depending on signing the 5 stars then, and go after high potential 3 stars and, hopefully, 4 stars.

Going for these home run recruits ain't working.

Woody needs to lay off depending on signing the 5 stars then, and go after high potential 3 stars and, hopefully, 4 stars.

Going for these home run recruits ain't working.
Agreed..... the making of a TEAM..... is 5-8 players that play together consistently over an extended period of time,
where they learn tendency's and know what their teammate is going to do... before they even do it.

Evansville Reitz had that team some years back, but ended up losing the State Championship game to Caleb Swanigan and Homestead, because the coach slowed the game down to kill clock..... instead of playing to win.

The main bulk of that team grew up together and played from grade school all the way through high school.
Those boys would throw a pass to an empty spot on the floor and a teammate would be there for the 3 or the back cut to the rim. They had done it so many times, it was like clockwork to them.

If I were Woody.... I would recruit smart, good journeyman players that are going to stick around for 4 solid years.
But maybe that's why I'm retired at a year older than him..... and he's making the big bucks.

Reactions: DANC
Yes, but there are no rambunctious college coeds eager to experiment in G league, only used hookers of “been there/done that so let’s get this over with. Jalen will find out there’s more to life than long term financial health. Sexual health and the satisfaction that comes along with knowing you’re a stud muffin is just as important, if not more so.
So weird and obsessed.

Well it is good to have options. Either choice was a good choice. I think JHS probably made the right decision but landing on the lakers, he was not going to get much playing time in his rookie year. The landscape is different now than in the dark ages. NBA is now more in to developing players. They have extra roster spots to use for that purpose. He is not just developing in the G-League but probably also gets practice time against the likes of AD, LBJ and real NBA starters. He gets to experience what it takes to make it in the NBA. I'm betting he is way more ready to step into lakers rotation next year than he would be if he stayed at IU then got drafted by LA next summer. Player usually make a jump after their first season when they have a full off season with their team.

Of course IU might be awesone with JHS so him leaving was a poor decision.

I get the financial decision, I really do. But from a basketball perspective, it only makes sense for the top two tiers of young players. Langford made a good financial decision by going pro after one year of college ball, but not the best basketball decision if his goal was to have a 10-12 year NBA (not NBA/G-League combined) career
Romeo not getting a 2nd contract had absolutely zilch to do with not coming back to Indiana and everything to do with him not being able to develop while getting paid to do so in the NBA. Astounding that people think you develop more in college than you do in the NBA.

The bigger question is what the hell were the Lakers thinking? JHS is shooting 22% from the field and 13% of his three-point shots. I didn’t think he was a consistent enough player to be drafted after one year but apparently that 35 point outing against Purdue convinced a lot of decision makers.

Reactions: DANC
The bigger question is what the hell were the Lakers thinking? JHS is shooting 22% from the field and 13% of his three-point shots. I didn’t think he was a consistent enough player to be drafted after one year but apparently that 35 point outing against Purdue convinced a lot of decision makers.
He had a rough NBA start in limited minutes and then got injured. And damn - he is young. He has since been on fire in the G-league, and the Lakers are very high on him. If you want to call a 20 yr old a bust, then go ahead. But the Lakers don’t think so.

Yes, he went for the $. That's my point.

There is no reason he would improve more at IU than than playing a combo of NBA and G-League. NBA and G-League he works as a professional to improve everyday with a team of NBA coaches.

Why try to improve at IU and wait on the big NBA contract? Go up against X, Cupps, and Gallo in practice? Play against a crappy conference. Woody isn't a very good coach, especially with guards as we're finding out.
Exactly. NBA teams often send their young guys down to g-league to get some game action. The Lakers are a veteran team fighting for a playoff spot. Better to get him some games than to just sit. The Pacers have done the same thing with their #7 pick, Jarace Walker. They love him and he is going to be good. But he is only 20 yrs old and had good veterans at his position. He played g- league games and played extremely well. Now he is back getting a few NBA minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT