ADVERTISEMENT

Davis and Schifino

Rotonda Jim

Benchwarmer
Sep 3, 2003
It is interesting to note that Jackson Davis stayed at IU for four years, polished his skills and improved as a player. He is now playing significant minutes for Golden State and even started yesterday. His dunk the other day was unbelievable over Wembanyama. Yes, big bucks will follow him down the road. Whereas Hood Schifino, a good player, stayed in college for only one year, went to the NBA and now is languishing on the Lakers bench. Note, they are not a good team but don't think he is worthy of making them better. I doubt if the big bucks will follow him and think he may follow the path of Romeo Langford and just simply disappear. You have to play to improve. He is not playing. Had he stayed, IU would be in the top four of the Big Ten and in the big dance.

Reactions: asindc and Willdog7
It is interesting to note that Jackson Davis stayed at IU for four years, polished his skills and improved as a player. He is now playing significant minutes for Golden State and even started yesterday. His dunk the other day was unbelievable over Wembanyama. Yes, big bucks will follow him down the road. Whereas Hood Schifino, a good player, stayed in college for only one year, went to the NBA and now is languishing on the Lakers bench. Note, they are not a good team but don't think he is worthy of making them better. I doubt if the big bucks will follow him and think he may follow the path of Romeo Langford and just simply disappear. You have to play to improve. He is not playing. Had he stayed, IU would be in the top four of the Big Ten and in the big dance.
Kobe Bryant skipped college and made over 500 million dollars imagine what a couple of years at Duke would have done for him.

Kobe Bryant skipped college and made over 500 million dollars imagine what a couple of years at Duke would have done for him.
Lots of job opportunities would be available for him, name recognition alone, if he returned to the Durham area after his playing days are over. I doubt he’d be working third shift there.

• Haha
Reactions: Willdog7
JHS signed a 4-year, guaranteed $18M deal. He’s working on his game as a pro. Should he risk all that with another year of college that wouldn’t change his draft stock much and he may get injured and lose the big contract?

Come on OP.

Hood Schifino is reported to be making $3,695,040 per year with the Lakers

We'll see.

JHS signed a 4-year, guaranteed $18M deal. He’s working on his game as a pro. Should he risk all that with another year of college that wouldn’t change his draft stock much and he may get injured and lose the big contract?

Come on OP.
NIL makes that decision a little more interesting, though. The clock is ticking on his contract so it will depend on whether he is able to get into a playing rotation during those 4 years. He still had things to improve on when he left IU (defense and getting to the rim).

JHs is making more money than TJD while getting better training. He made the right decision

Reactions: GThomas and YOTHN
Different kinds of players. Bryant was one of a generational player
Kobe’s rookie year left a lot to be desired. His second season was marginally better. It wasn’t until his third and fourth seasons that he became the player most people remember. I’m not saying JHS will have the same trajectory, just saying that after his first couple years no one was putting Kobe on the all time greatest players list.

Reactions: DANC

Come on OP.
If you are afraid of injuries then you should never play at all. They happen anytime, anywhere and to almost every player. But almost every player does recover since trainers and modern medicine do wonders. So just admit that Schifino moved for the money. I totally get it and am not blaming him. Davis did not have financial issues at IU because of his lineage so could afford to stay. What I am saying is that Schifino may have lost the gamble of staying four years, improving a lot and then making the big time bucks over a long NBA career. He took the guaranteed money. Again, I get it.The Lakers need guards badly. If Schifino was really improving, wouldn't he already be getting 10 to 20 NBA minutes already? There also aren't too many G league guys who ever do well in the NBA. But of course, I wish him well. He was a great player but his time at IU was way too short.

basketball may just be a bridge to his real desire to one day become a message board hero.
If I was tech savvy, David Bowie’s “Heroes” would be inserted here.

Message boards are where we can be heroes, just for one day and I, I will be king. You, you will be queen.

Kurt Cloverdales, I hereby crown you queen for a (hiccup) day, game day being what it is!

If you are afraid of injuries then you should never play at all. They happen anytime, anywhere and to almost every player. But almost every player does recover since trainers and modern medicine do wonders. So just admit that Schifino moved for the money. I totally get it and am not blaming him. Davis did not have financial issues at IU because of his lineage so could afford to stay. What I am saying is that Schifino may have lost the gamble of staying four years, improving a lot and then making the big time bucks over a long NBA career. He took the guaranteed money. Again, I get it.The Lakers need guards badly. If Schifino was really improving, wouldn't he already be getting 10 to 20 NBA minutes already? There also aren't too many G league guys who ever do well in the NBA. But of course, I wish him well. He was a great player but his time at IU was way too short.would like to say
would like to say you make some great points, but I gave up lying for lent.

Had he stayed, IU would be in the top four of the Big Ten and in the big dance.
I get the sentiment, but that benefits JHS how? JHS is getting paid ~$4 million/yr for the next 4 years to get better at basketball. If JHS doesn't get a second contract it'll be because he failed to develop, not because he didn't come back to IU.

Very worst case scenario JHS is out of the league in 4 years with an $18 million contract to his name. There are bigger travesties in life. But you don't turn down guaranteed first round money to come back to college.

Kobe was good enough to make it happen. Most players who go early are not. G-League games are glorified AAU games so they don’t provide the competitive atmosphere that high level college games do. For every player who finds long term success going early, there is at least one other player who struggles to even make a roster full time.

If it was simply a matter of having more time to practice, then Kristian Lander would have been better off going pro than going to Western Ky.

NIL makes that decision a little more interesting, though. The clock is ticking on his contract so it will depend on whether he is able to get into a playing rotation during those 4 years. He still had things to improve on when he left IU (defense and getting to the rim).
I'd guess he makes ~$1M/year at IU vs. the $18M over four years (plus he still gets endorsements).

I'm sure he's working on his deficiencies everyday in the G-League.

If it was simply a matter of having more time to practice, then Kristian Lander would have been better off going pro than going to Western Ky.
You're forgetting that Lander wouldn't have sniffed the first round. The idea that the only way to develop is by playing in high level games is asinine. Looking at it from the Laker's perspective, think of JHS as an investment.

Come on OP.
They act like TJD had options.

If you are afraid of injuries then you should never play at all. They happen anytime, anywhere and to almost every player. But almost every player does recover since trainers and modern medicine do wonders. So just admit that Schifino moved for the money. I totally get it and am not blaming him. Davis did not have financial issues at IU because of his lineage so could afford to stay. What I am saying is that Schifino may have lost the gamble of staying four years, improving a lot and then making the big time bucks over a long NBA career. He took the guaranteed money. Again, I get it.The Lakers need guards badly. If Schifino was really improving, wouldn't he already be getting 10 to 20 NBA minutes already? There also aren't too many G league guys who ever do well in the NBA. But of course, I wish him well. He was a great player but his time at IU was way too short.
Yes, he went for the $. That's my point.

There is no reason he would improve more at IU than than playing a combo of NBA and G-League. NBA and G-League he works as a professional to improve everyday with a team of NBA coaches.

Why try to improve at IU and wait on the big NBA contract? Go up against X, Cupps, and Gallo in practice? Play against a crappy conference. Woody isn't a very good coach, especially with guards as we're finding out.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
You assumed a lot…why cash in a winning ticket for a chance at more winning tickets? Don’t assume TJD and his biological father are that close.

Some of this depends upon What Team drafts You. Davis was a 2nd Round draft Pick drafted by a team that knows how to fit his skills in their system and allow Him to contribute as a Rookie. JHS was drafted in the Top 10 by a mediocre team that can't seem to fit Him into their system as a Rookie. They say that your Rookie Contract is just the audition to obtain a bigger contract in 4 Years. Either You get the big contract that sets You up for life, or You play overseas to make some Money.

The other thing people don't realize is the difference in travel in the NBA and College, In College, You leave the day before a game, play the game, come directly Home to work and practice in Your own facilities. In the NBA, if you have a 10 day road trip to 5 cities, You may not have a full practice everyday, You may have days where You have a shoot around or walk through, or a light practice in a Junior College Gym. If You are at the end of the bench and not getting playing time, it is very difficult to improve your game with such an uneven schedule.

I hope Ware talks to both of these guys about their experiences as Rookies in the NBA before deciding to enter the Draft.

I'd guess he makes ~$1M/year at IU vs. the $18M over four years (plus he still gets endorsements).

I'm sure he's working on his deficiencies everyday in the G-League.
Of course. But the $18 million, and likely more, would be there the next year (the odds of a career ending injury are way overstated). JHS' position is super-competitive in the NBA (and the G-league). I'd want every opportunity to have a long career. Just saying NIL gives guys a better option than before, and that's good.

Playing well in G league does nothing to inflate one’s Ego. Will he be telling his grandkids someday, “I starred in the G league!”?
Good players in the G league can make it to the NBA. JHS likely made the right decision for his long-term financial health.

Yes, he went for the $. That's my point.

There is no reason he would improve more at IU than than playing a combo of NBA and G-League. NBA and G-League he works as a professional to improve everyday with a team of NBA coaches.

Why try to improve at IU and wait on the big NBA contract? Go up against X, Cupps, and Gallo in practice? Play against a crappy conference. Woody isn't a very good coach, especially with guards as we're finding out.

We will have to agree to disagree. By the way, going up against X and Gallo in practice, playing in that “crappy conference”, and being coached by Woody for one year got JHS drafted ahead of dozens of players who did not go up against X and Gallo in practice, did not play in a “crappy conference”, and were not coached by Woody. As history has shown, if you are good, the NBA will find you. Just ask Rodman, Pippen, and Dumars.

Or he could have stayed and not improved and have his stock drop to the second round or be undrafted.

Reactions: DANC
We will have to agree to disagree. By the way, going up against X and Gallo in practice, playing in that “crappy conference”, and being coached by Woody for one year got JHS drafted ahead of dozens of players who did not go up against X and Gallo in practice, did not play in a “crappy conference”, and were not coached by Woody. As history has shown, if you are good, the NBA will find you. Just ask Rodman, Pippen, and Dumars.
You do realize that even the worst G-League teams (sans the Ignite who is folding and is a bunch of 18 year olds) would beat the piss out of the best college teams right? Those G-Leaguer’s were all-conference/all-american guys who have bounced around NBA rosters.

Reactions: Spartans9312

? Because going to Western Kentucky has made him.....good? What is the point of this analogy? It proves the other person to be correct. What you are proving with that example is that staying in college or going pro has no genuine impact on your NBA growth potential because obviously Lander is further from the NBA now than he was while in HS.

The bottom line is your best opportunity to improve your game to be competitive at the NBA level, is to practice/play vs other NBA level players. Practicing vs Trey or the guard at Lipscomb in a late November game is no where near as good as Summer NBA League camps, preseason NBA games and the G league...............all while getting paid to do that full time instead of trying to mix in class work. Its genuinely insane that anyone thinks for a split second that JHS made the wrong move and if he had stayed at IU, he would have found a way to improve MORE than what he has. ha There are some WILD people on this board.

Reactions: papawboog
Of course. But the $18 million, and likely more, would be there the next year (the odds of a career ending injury are way overstated). JHS' position is super-competitive in the NBA (and the G-league). I'd want every opportunity to have a long career. Just saying NIL gives guys a better option than before, and that's good.
Yea, NIL helps. Wish they would go to a rev share and sign players to contracts to avoid all this portal moving.

Reactions: bawlmer and DANC
JHS would have been drafted if he went to many other schools.

Boogie and other guards have been turning us down for a year now. That is the tell regarding how well players and their advisors think we develop guards.

You do realize that even the worst G-League teams (sans the Ignite who is folding and is a bunch of 18 year olds) would beat the piss out of the best college teams right? Those G-Leaguer’s were all-conference/all-american guys who have bounced around NBA rosters.
Yes they would.

I get the financial decision, I really do. But from a basketball perspective, it only makes sense for the top two tiers of young players. Langford made a good financial decision by going pro after one year of college ball, but not the best basketball decision if his goal was to have a 10-12 year NBA (not NBA/G-League combined) career.

For every Moses Malone there is a Bill Willoughby and for every Isiah Thomas there is an Ennis Whatley.

JHS would have been drafted if he went to many other schools.

Boogie and other guards have been turning us down for a year now. That is the tell regarding how well players and their advisors think we develop guards.

Of course he would have. My point, in response to the post I quoted, is that playing at IU was not a hindrance.

Good players in the G league can make it to the NBA. JHS likely made the right decision for his long-term financial health.
Yes, but there are no rambunctious college coeds eager to experiment in G league, only used hookers of “been there/done that so let’s get this over with. Jalen will find out there’s more to life than long term financial health. Sexual health and the satisfaction that comes along with knowing you’re a stud muffin is just as important, if not more so.

Come on OP.
I had no idea he got that kind of contract.

Yeah, for $18 million guaranteed, he'd have been crazy not to take it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT