ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts

Rcp65goiu

Recruit
Apr 4, 2021
I understand that I don’t post a lot, but I do feel like I have a decent understanding of the game of basketball. I loved, and I mean, I absolutely loved Mike Woodson as a player for Indiana. No one benefited from the motion offense more than he did. After Indiana, he went to the NBA where he stayed for 40 years as we well know now. I think if I were an AD, I would think long and hard before I ever hired a college head coach who’s coming from the NBA. Reason being, losing in the NBA, isn’t anything out of the ordinary. Even for the elite teams, they lose anywhere from 15 to 20 games per year. And I think NBA coaches become numb to losing. I don’t think it bothers them as much as it should, especially if they are going to be expected to lead what should be a blue blood program like Indiana. I loved what Coach Cignetti said when he was hired as the Indiana coach, and he said something to the effect that “they would not place any limitations on themselves in regards to having specific goals “. I know that the quote isn’t exact, but basically, he means every game we go out to play, we should be playing to win. But when a coach says “we need to protect our home and steal some on the road”….to me, that’s crazy talk. And if I were his/her boss, I would let them know. Bottom line, this is Indiana, and the expectation should be to win.

I understand that I don’t post a lot, but I do feel like I have a decent understanding of the game of basketball. I loved, and I mean, I absolutely loved Mike Woodson as a player for Indiana. No one benefited from the motion offense more than he did. After Indiana, he went to the NBA where he stayed for 40 years as we well know now. I think if I were an AD, I would think long and hard before I ever hired a college head coach who’s coming from the NBA. Reason being, losing in the NBA, isn’t anything out of the ordinary. Even for the elite teams, they lose anywhere from 15 to 20 games per year. And I think NBA coaches become numb to losing. I don’t think it bothers them as much as it should, especially if they are going to be expected to lead what should be a blue blood program like Indiana. I loved what Coach Cignetti said when he was hired as the Indiana coach, and he said something to the effect that “they would not place any limitations on themselves in regards to having specific goals “. I know that the quote isn’t exact, but basically, he means every game we go out to play, we should be playing to win. But when a coach says “we need to protect our home and steal some on the road”….to me, that’s crazy talk. And if I were his/her boss, I would let them know. Bottom line, this is Indiana, and the expectation should be to win.

Good points.....especially when you consider Mike coached an Atlanta team that was really bad his first 4 years.

But if you look at his career as a whole, he definitely had some success. He won more games each year he was in Atlanta. He was successful as an interim coach and 1st year FT coach for the Knicks.

I think the main problems with Woodson are 1. He looks like an old 66; and 2. He wasn't tasked with developing players in the NBA....NBA coaches are mainly managers of personalities, imo.

Good points.....especially when you consider Mike coached an Atlanta team that was really bad his first 4 years.

But if you look at his career as a whole, he definitely had some success. He won more games each year he was in Atlanta. He was successful as an interim coach and 1st year FT coach for the Knicks.

I think the main problems with Woodson are 1. He looks like an old 66; and 2. He wasn't tasked with developing players in the NBA....NBA coaches are mainly managers of personalities, imo.
But I will add......I'm still shocked at how bad a competent NBA coach can be as a college coach.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT