ADVERTISEMENT

Alford/Knight

Boilerpointe81

Benchwarmer
Nov 27, 2017
I was looking at Iowa's record over the years trying to answer the question "How does Fran keep his job?". It led me to this article on Alford/Knight written after RMK's passing: Linky

Thought I would pass it along as it reminded of how good Knight could be. When I was a grad student Knight came to the business school to talk to faculty. Since I was a Assoc Dir in the placement office I was included in the invite. I was shocked that only 12-20 folks showed up. Knight's personal charisma was off the charts that day and I left know how he could get guys run through walls for him.

Anyway, back to the original question. Fran has never finished better than 3rd in the B1G. I guess that's OK in Iowa.

Reactions: ulrey and Jssanto
I was looking at Iowa's record over the years trying to answer the question "How does Fran keep his job?". It led me to this article on Alford/Knight written after RMK's passing: Linky

Thought I would pass it along as it reminded of how good Knight could be. When I was a grad student Knight came to the business school to talk to faculty. Since I was a Assoc Dir in the placement office I was included in the invite. I was shocked that only 12-20 folks showed up. Knight's personal charisma was off the charts that day and I left know how he could get guys run through walls for him.

Anyway, back to the original question. Fran has never finished better than 3rd in the B1G. I guess that's OK in Iowa.
see the new post I added about 20 min ago...asking the same question. Iowa ball in a strange place, can't see this lasting much longer for Fran. The act is getting old and taking them nowhere.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
At least for this Year He had Caitlin Clark and the Women's Team to take over fan interest on campus and distract people from the performance of the Men's Team.

Reactions: MMM1992
At least for this Year He had Caitlin Clark and the Women's Team to take over fan interest on campus and distract people from the performance of the Men's Team.
My sister lives in Iowa. Says there is dissatisfaction with the women's coach for not delivering more. Funny, Fran gets away with that every year.

see the new post I added about 20 min ago...asking the same question. Iowa ball in a strange place, can't see this lasting much longer for Fran. The act is getting old and taking them nowhere.
And his game personality teaches students that it is ok to scream at authority (refs). I have always wondered why you are surprised when players fight (multiple brawls in WBB recently) when they are taught it from their coach

And his game personality teaches students that it is ok to scream at authority (refs). I have always wondered why you are surprised when players fight (multiple brawls in WBB recently) when they are taught it from their coach
Uhm, we once had a coach like that.
Ahh, the good old days.

Reactions: ulrey
My sister lives in Iowa. Says there is dissatisfaction with the women's coach for not delivering more. Funny, Fran gets away with that every year.
While I previously thought pretty highly of Iowa fans, my Twitter feed this year has suggested to me that they might be as half-cocked as anyone else, especially as it pertains to WBB. They now seem to think they're UCONN/UT/Stanford/SoCar, despite non of their credentials.

Finishing 3rd looks pretty good in Indiana too. OTOH....it really doesn't matter anymore......does it?

Reactions: birdforbogey

It seems like that's the case for Iowa athletics generally speaking. When was the last time Kirk Ferentz won the Big Ten or made it to the Big Ten championship game? That guy seems to have been around forever as an also-ran.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Uhm, we once had a coach like that.
Ahh, the good old days.
I agree. Maybe I am wrong but what was acceptable (at least partly acceptable) in 1980 is not necessarily ok in 2020. One would like to feel you can progress as a society.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT