ADVERTISEMENT

How many IU fans that you know personally

have checked out from being the big IU fan they once were to barely caring, if at all? I could probably name 25-30 personally. It's a shame what this program has become.

I still think since Coach Knight was let go, IU lost about 30% of their fan base. Fast forward to now probably another 15%.
I live in Arizona now so not around many anymore. But my uncle you used to sit 5 rows back during the knight years now is more interested in the iu women. He goes to more iu women's games now. In fact I don't think he has been to a men's game in like three years.

As a longtime Cubs fan, winning does a lot to build a fanbase. I'd be really interested in the demographics for sports across the board--anecdotally, I wonder if the younger generations are fading as sports fans.

I went to a 6A football regional up north this fall where my periennial alma mater has consistently been winning for 40 years. The home side of the stands were probably 90% full and the visitors from the Region 50% full.

We had 12-14K people at a regular season game against Elkhart Central in the 80s., it was surreal. I just think that kids these days have lots of other choices. My youngest who is opting out of HS Baseball this year said it was mostly because there was no team, just a bunch of kids trying to get scholarships. It was no longer fun and this was at the A-2A level.

As a longtime Cubs fan, winning does a lot to build a fanbase. I'd be really interested in the demographics for sports across the board--anecdotally, I wonder if the younger generations are fading as sports fans.

I went to a 6A football regional up north this fall where my periennial alma mater has consistently been winning for 40 years. The home side of the stands were probably 90% full and the visitors from the Region 50% full.

We had 12-14K people at a regular season game against Elkhart Central in the 80s., it was surreal. I just think that kids these days have lots of other choices. My youngest who is opting out of HS Baseball this year said it was mostly because there was no team, just a bunch of kids trying to get scholarships. It was no longer fun and this was at the A-2A level.
One of my favorite things about living in Center Grove is Friday Night Lights. Our fans show out at home and on the road. Great coaches build culture, community, toughness and togetherness.

IU has none of those traits. Hopes are high Coach Cig can bring that to football. It’d be a helluva thing to be called a “football school” while Dolson tries to pull another rabbit out of his hat.

Last edited:

encourage him to try cross country. Even if he's not good, he'll get in the best shape of his life and get to be part of a team. They are usually good kids, get good grades and it's a sport that you don't have to invest thousands of dollars and hours into for travel teams, trainers, etc... Also something very personal and uplifting about going out and running on your own, but building for a team. Of course I was a weirdo who liked to run, but I think it's the best overall sport for kids for these reasons, and he might develop a healthy habit for life!

Last edited:
One of my favorite things about living in Center Grove is Friday Night Lights. Our fans show out at home and on the road. Great coaches build culture, community, toughness and togetherness.

IU has none of those traits. Hopes are high Coach Cig can bring that to football. It’d be a helluva thing to be called a “football school” while Dolson tries to pull another rabbit out of his hat.
I love basketball, but there's not much better than a good high school football game under the lights on a Friday night!

have checked out from being the big IU fan they once were to barely caring, if at all? I could probably name 25-30 personally. It's a shame what this program has become.

I still think since Coach Knight was let go, IU lost about 30% of their fan base. Fast forward to now probably another 15%.
I bet the same fans that we lost Still support Notre Dame football, though.

Less you forget, Mike Davis took us within nine minutes of winning the entire thing and at that time the fan base was still tremendous. It was injuries to guys like DJ White and others that started the downturn. Mike was blamed by many for this but sometimes injuries mess you up. His five year record was pretty much the same as Knight's last five years. We should have stayed the course with him remembering that he was chosen by Knight to be a recruiter and a defensive coach. He did fine at both of those jobs. (And now I will have to listen to someone who will say that Davis won with Knight's players. Perhaps true, but he made them better and he brought in some great players like DJ.)

I agree completely with your post. I live in the south and the small number of IU fans down here have turned most games off at half.
I don’t think it is a permanent loss of fan base - we would all come back for a better product.
1. Stop the cheap plays.
2. The adults need to hold players accountable. No effort? Go to the bench a play the guy half as good who will try twice as hard.
3. Winning always is a big changer, but even that is diluted by our on and off court behavior.

I went to the Air Force vs New Mexico game yesterday in hopes of watching better basketball and not being invested in either team. IU could probably beat AF but would likely lose to NM.

And I had to root for AF because NM had a cocky guard talking trash to the crowd.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Yes sir! I still am die hard IU basketball but I have been losing interest. Much of my friends have as well….just bad basketball. sadly a lot of people are liking what they see from PU. woody needs to see that.
Might I suggest you change one side of reversing jaxket from IU to PU?

You could still trash IU on message boards, create accounts with existing IU poster’s names and chant IU sucks.

The IQ of both fanbases would improve. Win win

Might I suggest you change one side of reversing jaxket from IU to PU?

You could still trash IU on message boards, create accounts with existing IU poster’s names and chant IU sucks.

The IQ of both fanbases would improve. Win win
Hey I might since IU basketball wears black and gold these days

All of them that I know have checked out with where things are now. In a macro sense, there are some times we will get a little excited, mostly because living here in the state there isn’t much else to look forward to in the winter months. You want/need something to get excited about. However we have seen enough over the years to know when the train is going off the rails. At this point games are no longer appointment tv and we just kind of passively follow.

All of them that I know have checked out with where things are now. In a macro sense, there are some times we will get a little excited, mostly because living here in the state there isn’t much else to look forward to in the winter months. You want/need something to get excited about. However we have seen enough over the years to know when the train is going off the rails. At this point games are no longer appointment tv and we just kind of passively follow.
Are they also Walmart IU fans like Smitty?

I have followed IU since the early 70’s, listening to games at night on the AM radio-WSBT 960 out of South Bend. Have 2 degrees from IUSB and have attended many games in Assembly Hall.
In recent years I start out positive, watch entire games at the beginning of the season and then start to lose interest.
Lack of discipline, not hustling, not playing as a team, not playing for the name on the front of the jersey, and not being basketball smart have me losing interest. Many of my fellow IU alumni/fans feel the same way.

Are they also Walmart IU fans like Smitty?
Never occurred to me to divide IU fans up based on education or economic status.

From an early age, I told my son I was providing him all the advantages I didn’t have growing up. I warned him if I ever found out he disrespected someone and acted like he was better, that his days of being spoiled would end.

Never occurred to me to divide IU fans up based on education or economic status.

From an early age, I told my son I was providing him all the advantages I didn’t have growing up. I warned him if I ever found out he disrespected someone and acted like he was better, that his days of being spoiled would end.
They’re all welcome for sure. We’re in Indiana so there’s no shortage of non-alum fans. But they’re certainly quicker to shit on the team than those who spent time on campus. Smitty seems to be a good example

They’re all welcome for sure. We’re in Indiana so there’s no shortage of non-alum fans. But they’re certainly quicker to shit on the team than those who spent time on campus. Smitty seems to be a good example
Nah, I know plenty of alum who shit one them just like I do. Heck one of my buddies is now a Purdue fan because he is tired of IU’s BS

Despite the last 20-25 years and being not good this year, we lead the B1G in home attendance, we have the best home court in the B1G, we had the crowd advantage at MSG vs UConn, and we managed a 50/50 crowd in ATL vs local Auburn. Impressive.

Damn if we were good it would be so much fun for our poor fans.

Another post by you where the subject is "I" ... someday you dumb****s will realize that the game and this board isn't about you ... but I guess when all you have is your ignorance to guide you that your effeminate feelings are all you can talk about.

This thread sucks as almost much as a George Straight song.. the only way it could suck worse is if it had a giant belt buckle, manufactured corn-ball lyrics, an asshat and too tight jeans ....

Testosterone therapy, get you some ..

Reactions: infinitymv
Another post by you where the subject is "I" ... someday you dumb****s will realize that the game and this board isn't about you ... but I guess when all you have is your ignorance to guide you that your effeminate feelings are all you can talk about.

This thread sucks as almost much as a George Straight song.. the only way it could suck worse is if it had a giant belt buckle, manufactured corn-ball lyrics, an asshat and too tight jeans ....
Invitation is still
open. And who is George Straight?

Pat MacAfee?

You're a very special person.

Less you forget, Mike Davis took us within nine minutes of winning the entire thing and at that time the fan base was still tremendous. It was injuries to guys like DJ White and others that started the downturn. Mike was blamed by many for this but sometimes injuries mess you up. His five year record was pretty much the same as Knight's last five years. We should have stayed the course with him remembering that he was chosen by Knight to be a recruiter and a defensive coach. He did fine at both of those jobs. (And now I will have to listen to someone who will say that Davis won with Knight's players. Perhaps true, but he made them better and he brought in some great players like DJ.)
where's he at now UCLA would have to assume someone snapped him up. Trealor coached that team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT