ADVERTISEMENT

How many IU fans that you know personally

One of my favorite things about living in Center Grove is Friday Night Lights. Our fans show out at home and on the road. Great coaches build culture, community, toughness and togetherness.

IU has none of those traits. Hopes are high Coach Cig can bring that to football. It’d be a helluva thing to be called a “football school” while Dolson tries to pull another rabbit out of his hat.
This last rabbit was a grizzled old rabbit .

Reactions: Bucket Getter
have checked out from being the big IU fan they once were to barely caring, if at all? I could probably name 25-30 personally. It's a shame what this program has become.

I still think since Coach Knight was let go, IU lost about 30% of their fan base. Fast forward to now probably another 15%.
Nobody cares as much as they did when they were younger. You develop other interests. You have other, more important, things that take up your time. You hopefully develop some perspective.

But they've made it easier to let go, for sure.

Less you forget, Mike Davis took us within nine minutes of winning the entire thing and at that time the fan base was still tremendous. It was injuries to guys like DJ White and others that started the downturn. Mike was blamed by many for this but sometimes injuries mess you up. His five year record was pretty much the same as Knight's last five years. We should have stayed the course with him remembering that he was chosen by Knight to be a recruiter and a defensive coach. He did fine at both of those jobs. (And now I will have to listen to someone who will say that Davis won with Knight's players. Perhaps true, but he made them better and he brought in some great players like DJ.)
The recruiting by Davis deteriorated after the 2002 season. He turned down Luke Harangody, who starred at ND, and didn't want Mike Conley. It was clear that Conley and Greg Oden wanted to play together. Davis also turned down the guard from Richmond who went on to star at Marquette. Davis also made a statement that he would not have another player like Coverdale, who just happened to direct IU to the championship game. I turned against Davis because of his ill-advised recruiting judgment.

encourage him to try cross country. Even if he's not good, he'll get in the best shape of his life and get to be part of a team. They are usually good kids, get good grades and it's a sport that you don't have to invest thousands of dollars and hours into for travel teams, trainers, etc... Also something very personal and uplifting about going out and running on your own, but building for a team. Of course I was a weirdo who liked to run, but I think it's the best overall sport for kids for these reasons, and he might develop a healthy habit for life!
That’s actually great advice. But I (and pretty much every kid I grew up with) hated running and equated it to punishment. Football, basketball, and baseball coaches always made us run when we screwed up.

Less you forget, Mike Davis took us within nine minutes of winning the entire thing and at that time the fan base was still tremendous. It was injuries to guys like DJ White and others that started the downturn. Mike was blamed by many for this but sometimes injuries mess you up. His five year record was pretty much the same as Knight's last five years. We should have stayed the course with him remembering that he was chosen by Knight to be a recruiter and a defensive coach. He did fine at both of those jobs. (And now I will have to listen to someone who will say that Davis won with Knight's players. Perhaps true, but he made them better and he brought in some great players like DJ.)
Have you checked his record this year? How’s 0-20 work for you? Mike is a good guy that very likely chose the wrong profession. He’s parlayed that NC game into years of big paychecks, so there’s that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al Bino
That’s actually great advice. But I (and pretty much every kid I grew up with) hated running and equated it to punishment. Football, basketball, and baseball coaches always made us run when we screwed up.
Yeah, back in the day, if you were a basketball or baseball player and didn't play football, they'd ask you to run XC just to get in shape. I've had lots of knee and ankle problems and can't run or play bball anymore, but I still pretty regularly have dreams about running. Really miss it.

Yeah, back in the day, if you were a basketball or baseball player and didn't play football, they'd ask you to run XC just to get in shape. I've had lots of knee and ankle problems and can't run or play bball anymore, but I still pretty regularly have dreams about running. Really miss it.
The volume of running most XC programs demand (pretty much year-round, with a few breaks) really puts some wear and tear on your body. I know runners who had completely f**ked up their knees or hips at age 18.

Mike was blamed by many for this but sometimes injuries mess you up. His five year record was pretty much the same as Knight's last five years. We should have stayed the course with him remembering that he was chosen by Knight to be a recruiter and a defensive coach.
Then we should have stayed the course with Knight if you think we should have with Davis, records essentially being equal for a five year period. At some point, IU needs to put a stop to it's merry-go-round of coaching changes. It's not a good look for the program.

Yeah, I’m not buying that. At all. After about 10 years old, you are either one or the other. For Life. So that’s the real BS in your statement.

This is my favorite comment because I think you're right.

And what excites me is that IU and Purdue have been trending in different directions for quite some time. Using your logic, that's a lot of kids from this generation and last that aren't ever going to care about IU basketball. If anything, they have (will have) locked on to Purdue just like many of you locked on IU in the 70s and 80s.

@bsmitty08 is correct as well. I've got a lot of IU friends and grads, and many of them still love IU and can't believe what's become of the Hoosiers. I can't even talk smack with them anymore because it's like kicking a dead horse.

However with time, their apathy has given way to respect for Purdue and its program, and they sometimes cheer** for them.

** Unless they are playing IU or until the second weekend of the NCAAs. The latter is because they know the FF and banner talk are the only things they can point to as positive for IU when discussing the two programs.

If Purdue breaks through in March/April it's going to be so painful for them -- as I'm sure it will be for many of you.

IU is in a precarious spot. The old fans will come back with success, but they better hurry because this generation of 10yos is forming their allegiances and kids like winners.

Then we should have stayed the course with Knight if you think we should have with Davis, records essentially being equal for a five year period. At some point, IU needs to put a stop to it's merry-go-round of coaching changes. It's not a good look for the program.
If they would quit making bad hires it wouldn’t be a problem.

Yeah, I’m not buying that. At all. After about 10 years old, you are either one or the other. For Life. So that’s the real BS in your statement.
My dad was a PU fan so I followed suit until I was around 13-14 years old and switched to IU in 1998-99.

My IU college visit was the day after they beat Duke in the 2002 tourney. Good times.

And what excites me is that IU and Purdue have been trending in different directions for quite some time. Using your logic, that's a lot of kids from this generation and last that aren't ever going to care about IU basketball. If anything, they have (will have) locked on to Purdue just like many of you locked on IU in the 70s and 80s.

@bsmitty08 is correct as well. I've got a lot of IU friends and grads, and many of them still love IU and can't believe what's become of the Hoosiers. I can't even talk smack with them anymore because it's like kicking a dead horse.

However with time, their apathy has given way to respect for Purdue and its program, and they sometimes cheer** for them.

** Unless they are playing IU or until the second weekend of the NCAAs. The latter is because they know the FF and banner talk are the only things they can point to as positive for IU when discussing the two programs.

If Purdue breaks through in March/April it's going to be so painful for them -- as I'm sure it will be for many of you.

IU is in a precarious spot. The old fans will come back with success, but they better hurry because this generation of 10yos is forming their allegiances and kids like winners.
Dude. IU is one good coach away. Incredibly, the IU administration can't quite find one. When (not if) they do, little brother will resume his rightly beatings and you can shove all that fake bravado you know where.

Agree fans like winners, but just a little bit of exposure to Purdue is off-putting and it’s hard to imagine many people liking those dorks in West Laffy.

have checked out from being the big IU fan they once were to barely caring, if at all? I could probably name 25-30 personally. It's a shame what this program has become.

I still think since Coach Knight was let go, IU lost about 30% of their fan base. Fast forward to now probably another 15%.

None, actually.

Dude. IU is one good coach away. Incredibly, the IU administration can't quite find one. When (not if) they do, little brother will resume his rightly beatings and you can shove all that fake bravado you know where.

IU's been one good coach away for more than a generation now :) Time's ticking.

Reactions: .Gerdis
Have you checked his record this year? How’s 0-20 work for you? Mike is a good guy that very likely chose the wrong profession. He’s parlayed that NC game into years of big paychecks, so there’s that.
Mike gets a lot of extra mileage out of his smile. It’s what you have to do when there’s so little else.

A lot are just tired of watching bad, undisciplined basketball. That’s it.

Fairleigh good point

Yes, this was dumb. But on the list of Courtsense comments this was almost rational.
I smell a Purdue lurker, although he misspelled "Keyes." Hell, I remember watch Leroy run and boy, could he as Kenneth "Jack" Mollenkopf's greatest running back. No racist implications intended from this old white boy.

I have. I used to gaga over college basketball, it was my favorite sport. My older brother was significantly older than me. 9 years. He went to the University of Kansas and I wanted to be like him so I rooted for Kansas sports teams when I was little. I thought that was what college basketball was..... You win your conference almost every year (the best CBBB conference in the country) and once a decade or so you win a national title.

Then in 2012 I started going to school at Indiana University. My first year was kind of exciting. Oladipo, Zeller, Hulls, young Yogi.

But the heartbreak, the sorrow, anguish. It's too much. This woe is me bullshit has to end. It's so fixable too.

Chris Beard is available. He will take the job if asked. Why don't we be serious about winning for once in our life and go get him?

We wont because we are run by piece of shit progressives.

• Haha
Reactions: Vern Pain
I have. I used to gaga over college basketball, it was my favorite sport. My older brother was significantly older than me. 9 years. He went to the University of Kansas and I wanted to be like him so I rooted for Kansas sports teams when I was little. I thought that was what college basketball was..... You win your conference almost every year (the best CBBB conference in the country) and once a decade or so you win a national title.

Then in 2012 I started going to school at Indiana University. My first year was kind of exciting. Oladipo, Zeller, Hulls, young Yogi.

But the heartbreak, the sorrow, anguish. It's too much. This woe is me bullshit has to end. It's so fixable too.

Chris Beard is available. He will take the job if asked. Why don't we be serious about winning for once in our life and go get him?

This got me thinking...I wonder to myself (but you're invited in) if race was a factor in Woodson's hiring. More pointedly stated, was the decision-making process echoed in the inner sanctum of the ruling Elite, a DEI fulfillment quest? (whether real or imagined, sub-concious state or the otherwise more lucid state, the one more real? Stated something like that, surely.

Paytheman!

"Image is everything" ~ Andre Agassi, spokesperson for Canon's Rebel SLR, the camera for those less serious about photography but still wanting to look cool.

Study Alert! "We're all part of someone's study, in part." ~ abraxis

Game time can't get here soon enough!

• Love
Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
One of my favorite things about living in Center Grove is Friday Night Lights. Our fans show out at home and on the road. Great coaches build culture, community, toughness and togetherness.

IU has none of those traits. Hopes are high Coach Cig can bring that to football. It’d be a helluva thing to be called a “football school” while Dolson tries to pull another rabbit out of his hat.
Use to be the same at Southport but after Nick Turner and
coach Pebbles and a principal that cared things went down fast.

• Sad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT