ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana vs PU, MSU

78alum

Recruit
Mar 9, 2002
Why has Indiana been a dumpster fire (with a few minutes of success) while PU and MSU replaced their legendary head coaches with successful coaches (Painter, Izzo)? Those two were assistants and groomed to be the replacements, and of course Coach Knight was fired (in September, no less) Coach Knight did not really have a suitable assistant to step up to head coach. I just find it interesting as to how the paths of three basketball powerhouses ended up in vastly different places.

Why has Indiana been a dumpster fire (with a few minutes of success) while PU and MSU replaced their legendary head coaches with successful coaches (Painter, Izzo)? Those two were assistants and groomed to be the replacements, and of course Coach Knight was fired (in September, no less) Coach Knight did not really have a suitable assistant to step up to head coach. I just find it interesting as to how the paths of three basketball powerhouses ended up in vastly different places.
True, the other two went thru organic coaching changes while ours was forced entry. However, if RMK had continued at IU, I’m inclined to believe that his plan for a transition would have been for Pat to take over. And that would have been a disaster. So..we may have been doomed either way.

My 2 pesos

True, the other two went thru organic coaching changes while ours was forced entry. However, if RMK had continued at IU, I’m inclined to believe that his plan for a transition would have been for Pat to take over. And that would have been a disaster. So..we may have been doomed either way.

My 2 pesos
If I recall correctly from his book, RMK wanted Jim Crews to succeed him.

Well, there was the period of time when IU wanted to be a "research university" and didn't put much effort into finding a suitable replacement for the head coaching position. They added Crean, who inherited a mess, but IU was a bigger job than he could propel to success. After that, IU went with what they thought was an up and coming coach (Miller) but either the search firm / Glass or both didn't realize that Miller's success was predicated on teams that spend 4 years playing together rather than the established trend of finding 1 (or 2) and dones, which was further accelerated by the portal. To make a short story long, IU has misread the room every step of the way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT