ADVERTISEMENT

U.S Policy: orderly, humane and regular migration

CO. Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
This is the sum and substance of Biden’s current. negotiation on illegal immigration with Mexico. In other words, we will spend even more money we don’t have to make migration orderly and humane. Included in this is expanding Obama’s DACA program to include even more recent migrants, and funding more facilities to process the huge influx in migrating people from around the world. We are also discussing with Mexico the old “root causes” BS that has been so effective.

We have no hope as a country. To deal with the existing and worsening migration crisis, Biden’s brain trust negotiates to accommodate even more migrants. What happened to remain in Mexico? What happened to border security? What happened to deportations of illegals? What happened to sending border enforcement messages to the world? We have no money or resources for this. Local officials are screaming for federal help. The problem is their screams are for living assistance for migrants, not to stop the flow.

Does anybody else feel like our country is like the Titanic in the minutes and hors after hitting the iceberg?

I am not for open borders, but even that wouldn't be worthy of the Titanic line. We had almost totally open borders until 1924 (for Whites) and we were a damn fine country. Immigrants appeared, were checked for lice, given a physical for communicable disease, invited in.

No reason we couldn't, if we had to, do that now. So anything short of that up to that should be no problem. A couple laws would need reworked requiring either so many years work or so much in taxes paid to be eligible for safety net programs.

We HAVE handled massive influxes before, we can do it again. The more clutching at pearls and rending of clothes I see over immigration the more I think, "the hell with it, bring them in like every president before Harding". If they had a curve ball, they would be honored guests.

How did your ancestors arrive? Did they need a passport, visa, and meet with INS?

Story about a writer's ancestor arriving in the 1900s with no issues but the physical and lice check:

If we are crazy enough to think Titanic which leads major candidates to suggest attacks on Mexico, let's just open it up. Racism is why we stopped open borders. Since we are no longer racist, we don't need this massive system.

This is the sum and substance of Biden’s current. negotiation on illegal immigration with Mexico. In other words, we will spend even more money we don’t have to make migration orderly and humane. Included in this is expanding Obama’s DACA program to include even more recent migrants, and funding more facilities to process the huge influx in migrating people from around the world. We are also discussing with Mexico the old “root causes” BS that has been so effective.

We have no hope as a country. To deal with the existing and worsening migration crisis, Biden’s brain trust negotiates to accommodate even more migrants. What happened to remain in Mexico? What happened to border security? What happened to deportations of illegals? What happened to sending border enforcement messages to the world? We have no money or resources for this. Local officials are screaming for federal help. The problem is their screams are for living assistance for migrants, not to stop the flow.

Does anybody else feel like our country is like the Titanic in the minutes and hors after hitting the iceberg?
I am not for open borders, but even that wouldn't be worthy of the Titanic line. We had almost totally open borders until 1924 (for Whites) and we were a damn fine country. Immigrants appeared, were checked for lice, given a physical for communicable disease, invited in.

No reason we couldn't, if we had to, do that now. So anything short of that up to that should be no problem. A couple laws would need reworked requiring either so many years work or so much in taxes paid to be eligible for safety net programs.

We HAVE handled massive influxes before, we can do it again. The more clutching at pearls and rending of clothes I see over immigration the more I think, "the hell with it, bring them in like every president before Harding". If they had a curve ball, they would be honored guests.

How did your ancestors arrive? Did they need a passport, visa, and meet with INS?

Story about a writer's ancestor arriving in the 1900s with no issues but the physical and lice check:

If we are crazy enough to think Titanic which leads major candidates to suggest attacks on Mexico, let's just open it up. Racism is why we stopped open borders. Since we are no longer racist, we don't need this massive system.
Is it the numbers are just so much higher now? And is that these immigrants are simply less appealing than euros? Broke. No education. Unappealing? Just bills for the country? Dangerous? I mean I assume that’s either the presumption or the reality or both bc if you have money or something to offer you can get into the US.

Is it the numbers are just so much higher now? And is that these immigrants are simply less appealing than euros? Broke. No education. Unappealing? Just bills for the country? Dangerous? I mean I assume that’s either the presumption or the reality or both bc if you have money or something to offer you can get into the US.

Years ago the blue collars were convinced the immigrants were taking their jobs and the bootstrappers were convinced they were all sucking up their tax money in welfare and food stamps and free cheese and all that.

The laws today were written back in the Reagan years when asylum meant you were a political refugee, not economic or violence or something else. Until we rewrite the law to define asylum more narrowly, anyone who claims asylum is given a shot at making their case and gaining admission.

Years ago the blue collars were convinced the immigrants were taking their jobs and the bootstrappers were convinced they were all sucking up their tax money in welfare and food stamps and free cheese and all that.

The laws today were written back in the Reagan years when asylum meant you were a political refugee, not economic or violence or something else. Until we rewrite the law to define asylum more narrowly, anyone who claims asylum is given a shot at making their case and gaining admission.
I see. It seems like since the pandemic the numbers have exploded. Is that accurate or just the media started covering it?

Not buying your history argument for many reasons. But I’ll only mention one. The city of Denver announced cutbacks in budgeted spending in order to pay for the unbudgeted and unexpected migrant expense. That is unprecedented and unsustainable. Migration should not burden local residents. The Democrats have no plan to fix this except to throw money at it.

It's all media driven, because it's been made a huge political issue.
So you’re saying the caravans and numbers we see today are in keeping with what has always gone on? I find that hard to believe. But I don’t know

So you’re saying the caravans and numbers we see today are in keeping with what has always gone on? I find that hard to believe. But I don’t know
According to Pew, current (well, five years ago) foreign-born Americans make up roughly the same percentage of the population as they did about a century ago, with a long drawn-out dip in the interceding years. Scroll to the third chart after this bookmark:

According to Pew, current (well, five years ago) foreign-born Americans make up roughly the same percentage of the population as they did about a century ago, with a long drawn-out dip in the interceding years. Scroll to the third chart after this bookmark:

Yeah but that doesn’t capture what I think is the salient period: pandemic to now

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Not buying your history argument for many reasons. But I’ll only mention one. The city of Denver announced cutbacks in budgeted spending in order to pay for the unbudgeted and unexpected migrant expense. That is unprecedented and unsustainable. Migration should not burden local residents. The Democrats have no plan to fix this except to throw money at it.
The amount of government spending is drastically different compared to 1924. In the 20s we spent less than 5% of GDP. It’s 25% today. Not to mention I assume state spending has probably increased as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spartans9312

Racism? C’mon. You don’t think security concerns might be a bit different today than 100 years ago? Nah, gotta be racism.🙄

Racism? C’mon. You don’t think security concerns might be a bit different today than 100 years ago? Nah, gotta be racism.🙄
Pay attention. He's talking about racism in the early 20th century, and he's right. Racism is absolutely why we cracked down on immigration. Immigrants were shifting away from Europe and toward Asia and Latin America, and we didn't like that.

Reactions: UncleMark
Because they are deemed illegal, until granted asylum, they cannot work. No work means they must have aid. Let them bus/wait tables, work as hotel maids, and all those other positions where employees are begging for help and they won't need aid from Denver.

I know a couple restaurant owners in town, it is so painfully close to true that they are literally true they are begging for help.

Hell, if you were 25 and it was illegal for you to work, you would have needed aid.

Because they are deemed illegal, until granted asylum, they cannot work. No work means they must have aid. Let them bus/wait tables, work as hotel maids, and all those other positions where employees are begging for help and they won't need aid from Denver.

I will guaran-damn-tee that Trump had a shit load of these types working at his properties up until 2015, and probably beyond.

That’s hogwash. First, asylum only applies at the first country, not to some country half a world away. Second, there is no requirement that a migrant is entitled to resident status while the claim is decided. Third, these “asylum seekers” now free ply admit that they are looking for work.

Reactions: jet812

I know a couple restaurant owners in town, it is so painfully close to true that they are literally true they are begging for help.

Hell, if you were 25 and it was illegal for you to work, you would have needed aid.
They are here because the Biden Administration rejects, and refuses its obligation to enforce, the law.

Reactions: jet812
That’s hogwash. First, asylum only applies at the first country, not to some country half a world away. Second, there is no requirement that a migrant is entitled to resident status while the claim is decided. Third, these “asylum seekers” now free ply admit that they are looking for work.
Don't let the facts get in your way.

Immigration is intended to benefit the US. No matter how appealing the idea might be, we can’t afford to be the safety net for the entire third world, which is what’s happening now. Legal immigration is tied to self-sufficiency. Biden ignores that requirement too. So much for democratically passed laws.

The asylum claims are a joke. Anybody can see that. The Biden administration is complicit it.
Most are now from Venezuela, it isn't the hellhole it is advertised as? Until Biden, Cuban seekers were let in and if their case was not heard in a year, viola, they get green cards and stayed. So Cubans fought to delay, which was easy given the backlog. How many threads here complained about that.

Give seekers a temporary card to work. The card can be revoked if they lose. Bingo, no more aid is needed. They can work, or go home.

Btw, the Cubans, they probably were not real asylum seekers as many would return to visit Cuba. That doesn't seem like actions the persecuted would take

Reactions: UncleMark
Most are now from Venezuela, it isn't the hellhole it is advertised as? Until Biden, Cuban seekers were let in and if their case was not heard in a year, viola, they get green cards and stayed. So Cubans fought to delay, which was easy given the backlog. How many threads here complained about that.

Give seekers a temporary card to work. The card can be revoked if they lose. Bingo, no more aid is needed. They can work, or go home.

Btw, the Cubans, they probably were not real asylum seekers as many would return to visit Cuba. That doesn't seem like actions the persecuted would take

A better way would be to start treating “asylum seekers” as the law requires, which is as victims of persecution or in individual danger based on specific and individual circumstances. Problems in the third world that affect thousands or millions of people in a general fashion are not grounds for asylum. The minute you design a general policy affecting thousands of Venezuelan migrants, you aren’t enforcing asylum laws.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT