ADVERTISEMENT

Try That In a Small Town

Heck small town community gas stations probably aren't even open at midnight. Furthermore, the misfits from these towns moved a long time ago to urban cities where nobody knows them, and they can meet up with other misfits.
Isn’t that the point here? Big cities are misfit friendly. A large part of the reason is excessive leniency found in liberal politics. .

Reactions: DANC
Aldean is from Macon Georgia- why film a video at the TN church unless he was going for something akin to “good people on both sides” like the best dog whistler in chief? I don’t own a “Camp Auschwitz” shirt- I don’t support Trump- the bream team does I’m sure
You really have no idea that there is life past that one stop light at the end of your block, do you.

That's not a question, that is a statement. YOu poor thang.

I'm beginning to take genuine pity on you Murt, hoping you can find some approach to this life situation with which you can live.
Ha thanks. Sincerely. I whine but believe me I’m good. Honestly it’s much better in some ways. So much I did and had to do that I didn’t want any part of I don’t now. I have kids 4 days a week which is great. And peace 3 days which is great. You can’t ever let one part of life get ya down. You can always get a good cheeseburger. There’s always a good game coming soon. Work. Friends. Travel. And when all this passes a hot server somewhere who needs to be saved if the mood strikes me. When we were together my top google searches were: what side of your body is your heart on. What does it mean if your right arm is numb. Now they are cheap tickets and healthy aging. So I’m all good. And I do appreciate it. She was the one but there’s more to life than that.

I'm beginning to take genuine pity on you Murt, hoping you can find some approach to this life situation with which you can live.
Nahhh, Coach has got this. He's originally went through the free agent stage of the game with #1. Then he started dabbling in the NIL $$$. He's failed at both, but learned a lot.
He's no Dachitch, but he's better than Jan van Breda Kolff !
He just need one or two more seasons.

Ha thanks. Sincerely. I whine but believe me I’m good. Honestly it’s much better in some ways. So much I did and had to do that I didn’t want any part of I don’t now. I have kids 4 days a week which is great. And peace 3 days which is great. You can’t ever let one part of life get ya down. You can always get a good cheeseburger. There’s always a good game coming soon. Work. Friends. Travel. And when all this passes a hot server somewhere who needs to be saved if the mood strikes me. When we were together my top google searches were: what side of your body is your heart on. What does it mean if your right arm is numb. Now they are cheap tickets and healthy aging. So I’m all good. And I do appreciate it. She was the one but there’s more to life than that.
Perhaps you are on the right healthy aging track . . . .

Lifestyle factors such as physical activity, educational attainment, and socioeconomic status were closely associated with the superaging phenotype. These factors are commonly associated with age related dementia prevention or delay. Having a musical background and, perhaps surprisingly, being separated or divorced versus being married or cohabiting were associated with superagers.

Damn it, those are my searches...

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Yeah, mostly. I wouldn't expect anything less from a video honoring a location so important to his cause. ;)
The location thing is completely overblown. It is you guys looking for a problem. You and I both know they didn't pull out a list and ask, "Now where is a good place to film where a black person got lynched 100 years ago?" They looked for a a small town with an interesting looking courthouse or building that would make a cool backdrop and landed on a town where the oh so racist Hannah Montana had also filmed.

I am not big on the song because country music isn't usually my cup of tea but you all are being completely ridiculous about this. Stuff like this has completely watered down the concept of racism.

Yeah, mostly. I wouldn't expect anything less from a video honoring a location so important to his cause. ;)
Also, so we are clear, if music videos are about advancing a cause, what do you think about the cause being advanced here:

Or here:

The fact of the matter is that we have been told for years that this is all just entertainment and is meant to only be taken that way. I guarantee that this silly Jason Aldean song won't have had near the impact on society that 30+ years of the above has.

Also, so we are clear, if music videos are about advancing a cause, what do you think about the cause being advanced here:

Or here:

The fact of the matter is that we have been told for years that this is all just entertainment and is meant to only be taken that way. I guarantee that this silly Jason Aldean song won't have had near the impact on society that 30+ years of the above has.
Zeke’ can get down with some pimps and holes.

• Haha
There is no “the one.”

Reactions: mcmurtry66
The location thing is completely overblown. It is you guys looking for a problem. You and I both know they didn't pull out a list and ask, "Now where is a good place to film where a black person got lynched 100 years ago?" They looked for a a small town with an interesting looking courthouse or building that would make a cool backdrop and landed on a town where the oh so racist Hannah Montana had also filmed.

I am not big on the song because country music isn't usually my cup of tea but you all are being completely ridiculous about this. Stuff like this has completely watered down the concept of racism.
I thought it needed an explanation and I rarely accept the “dog whistle” theory.

You just provided a very believable rationale: another famous singer used that location and they thought it looked cool. Makes sense.

But in this instance, with that video, I think asking the question is pretty reasonable.

I thought it needed an explanation and I rarely accept the “dog whistle” theory.

You just provided a very believable rationale: another famous singer used that location and they thought it looked cool. Makes sense.

But in this instance, with that video, I think asking the question is pretty reasonable.
Why was it reasonable? The majority of the people in the riot footage he showed were white. It wasn't racial at all, Aldean's wife is pretty right wing, I don't think black people were the target of the criticism it was these types of people:

nov12group1jpg-3c0a315858b3ce71.jpg

They were among the 120 arrested in Portland for rioting in 2016 in response to Trump being elected. They are a racial hodge podge but mostly white. The types you see in those videos Aldean used in his music video. The Aldean thing was political, not racial.

The whole racial angle is just a way to turn criticism of leftists into an attack on the right for leveling the criticism. "How dare you attack me as a blue haired white girl for standing up for racial justice you racist." Nah lady, I am criticizing you for helping to vandalize a city while trying to make your point.

Why was it reasonable? The majority of the people in the riot footage he showed were white. It wasn't racial at all, Aldean's wife is pretty right wing, I don't think black people were the target of the criticism it was these types of people:

They were among the 120 arrested in Portland for rioting in 2016 in response to Trump being elected. They are a racial hodge podge but mostly white. The types you see in those videos Aldean used in his music video. The Aldean thing was political, not racial.

The whole racial angle is just a way to turn criticism of leftists into an attack on the right for leveling the criticism. "How dare you attack me as a blue haired white girl for standing up for racial justice you racist." Nah lady, I am criticizing you for helping to vandalize a city while trying to make your point.
"Why was it reasonable? The majority of the people in the riot footage he showed were white. It wasn't racial at all, Aldean's wife is pretty right wing, I don't think black people were the target of the criticism it was these types of people"

There are contrary opinions. The song was released in May, and as this Nashville beat writer maintains it was a pathetic attempt at duplicating the themes of Hank Jr's Country Boy will Survive. So perhaps the video was released in July to try and elevate a mediocre song to something it never was? Like well written, original, anything remotely resembling a quality piece of writing?

"And yeah, I know that Nashville runs on singers and songwriters often being different people. The problem isn’t that Jason Aldean sings a bad song about being from a small town written by other people when he himself is not from a small town. It’s that a series of choices were made to record this song and then to release that music video, and all of those choices were weird and bad and Jason Aldean is rightly having to defend those choices — but Jason Aldean isn’t invested enough in the creative process he sits at the center of to even understand what the problem is"

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
"Why was it reasonable? The majority of the people in the riot footage he showed were white. It wasn't racial at all, Aldean's wife is pretty right wing, I don't think black people were the target of the criticism it was these types of people"

There are contrary opinions. The song was released in May, and as this Nashville beat writer maintains it was a pathetic attempt at duplicating the themes of Hank Jr's Country Boy will Survive. So perhaps the video was released in July to try and elevate a mediocre song to something it never was? Like well written, original, anything remotely resembling a quality piece of writing?

"And yeah, I know that Nashville runs on singers and songwriters often being different people. The problem isn’t that Jason Aldean sings a bad song about being from a small town written by other people when he himself is not from a small town. It’s that a series of choices were made to record this song and then to release that music video, and all of those choices were weird and bad and Jason Aldean is rightly having to defend those choices — but Jason Aldean isn’t invested enough in the creative process he sits at the center of to even understand what the problem is"

Why is it weird and bad? Music bands coming at politics from the left have made songs about how horrible people on the right are for years. I can quote you songs from the early 90's from rap groups talking about getting white people.

"It's a dumb song without much thought that was made to tick off some people and have others feel good about their beliefs." Welcome to music I guess? You all talk about thin skin on conservatives.....

Last edited:

I agree that a lot of times, libs do turn criticisms of leftists into a motivational inquiry of the criticizers and try to tie it to racism, and I generally find that wrong.

Maybe it's just me and my personality or psychology, but the video rubbed me the wrong way, was too combative, and was too Us/Them and city (where most black people live)/country. Maybe it's because I only watched the video once and didn't really pause to count up and compare the skin color of the people depicted. Mabye it's because the video is shot at night with a lit up courthouse and remineded my of the Biden speech that looked like something out of a movie authoratian's playbook. Maybe it's because when people think or talk of rioters nowadays, I think of the 2020 BLM riots where a lot of black people were rioting (and a lot of white people). And maybe that's not OK.

But when I heard that they shot it at a famous courthouse where an infamous lynching took place, I thought "Well that's weird. Why would they do that?"

I agree that a lot of times, libs do turn criticisms of leftists into a motivational inquiry of the criticizers and try to tie it to racism, and I generally find that wrong.

Maybe it's just me and my personality or psychology, but the video rubbed me the wrong way, was too combative, and was too Us/Them and city (where most black people live)/country. Maybe it's because I only watched the video once and didn't really pause to count up and compare the skin color of the people depicted. Mabye it's because the video is shot at night with a lit up courthouse and remineded my of the Biden speech that looked like something out of a movie authoratian's playbook. Maybe it's because when people think or talk of rioters nowadays, I think of the 2020 BLM riots where a lot of black people were rioting (and a lot of white people). And maybe that's not OK.

But when I heard that they shot it at a famous courthouse where an infamous lynching took place, I thought "Well that's weird. Why would they do that?"
Why do you hate America so much, commie?

Reactions: UncleMark

Respectfully, that's a you problem though as far as the racial overtones you imputed to what he was going for.

As far as the us vs. them, that is just kind of the way things work today. Jason's wife Brittany had gotten into it with Maren Morris and one or two other female singers about the Trans stuff too. He is kind of a political guy. Not sure why it is all good if Green Day and Rage Against the Machine (examples from the past) are okay to be combatively political on the left but it is a cause for pearl clutching when it comes from the right. (Down Rodeo for instance from RATM).

The building was photogenic and looks "cool" lit up at night with the flag. I would wager that was what they were thinking when they picked the location, not something that happened 100 years ago.

Respectfully, that's a you problem though as far as the racial overtones you imputed to what he was going for.

As far as the us vs. them, that is just kind of the way things work today. Jason's wife Brittany had gotten into it with Maren Morris and one or two other female singers about the Trans stuff too. He is kind of a political guy. Not sure why it is all good if Green Day and Rage Against the Machine (examples from the past) are okay to be combatively political on the left but it is a cause for pearl clutching when it comes from the right. (Down Rodeo for instance from RATM).

The building was photogenic and looks "cool" lit up at night with the flag. I would wager that was what they were thinking when they picked the location, not something that happened 100 years ago.
I hate country music. It’s my default setting regarding country. That said, this song isn’t much different than any other country song. It’s always something about “we wear boots, drive trucks and we’re tougher’n you, city boy”. Some variation of that.

I hate country music. It’s my default setting regarding country. That said, this song isn’t much different than any other country song. It’s always something about “we wear boots, drive trucks and we’re tougher’n you, city boy”. Some variation of that.
I don't flat out hate it like I used to but it usually is not my go to. Outside of that, yeah, pretty much. People brag about where they are from.

Could be. I'm human. In my partial defense, I didn't assume it was, but asked a question.

If it's imputed by enough people (I don't know that it was here), though, it makes sense to give an explanation, as, it appears, has been done here.

As for what they were going for, I agree with you. I don't think people do overtly racist stuff much anymore and am skeptical of that rationale when given.

No, it's not.

Feel free to go through this list of 100 "greatest" country songs Rolling Stone thinks exemplify country music and tell me how many are about "we wear boots, drive trucks[,] and we're tougher'n you, city boy."

Last edited by a moderator:

Wow. Right just a coincidence that it was a major lynching spot. But of course. I don’t think he looked for one but I’d hope and assume most people would do a bit of research into the location of their shoot.

Could be. I'm human. In my partial defense, I didn't assume it was, but asked a question.

If it's imputed by enough people (I don't know that it was here), though, it makes sense to give an explanation, as, it appears, has been done here.

As for what they were going for, I agree with you. I don't think people do overtly racist stuff much anymore and am skeptical of that rationale when given.
I was trying to be respectful. :) I think the media goes a long way to give you that image and then beat you over the head for making that connection. We are conditioned to have the responses we do by the information we consume.

Having actually been across location filming decisions for a long-ass time (including for a lot of music videos early in my career), I can tell you that we are intimately aware of background of a location, particularly when we are producing something that has even a hint of controversy attached to it. Filming the Hannah Montana movie is different than filming American History X and the people making these things know it because they are paid to know it.

If it was an accidental oversight (which is the kind of oversight that gets people fired), someone who cared about such an oversight would express horror at associating the thing they claim is an aspirational anthem with something so horrible and admit that it's an explosive juxtaposition of ideas that should provoke a deep conversation.

Apologies for putting Jason Aldean and talk of a deep conversation in the same thought. ;)

Reactions: zeke4ahs
The depth in which people are digging in regards to this song is crazy. If you dig deep enough into anything you can find something bad or good. Hard for me to believe this could trigger so many? He recorded a song that resonates with his fan base he made a video that supported the song, most should move on especially those who didn't particularly like it unless you just want him to keep making millions off the popularity it now has.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cthulhu85

Nobody has is saying that nothing should ever be filmed at that location. My hope is that you are intelligent enough to understand the difference between the Hannah Montana Movie, a Mario Lopez holiday film, and this video.

If I were to film a movie celebrating lives of transgender people at the spot where a trans person murdered a child, lots of people would have a problem with it. It it were intentional (it wouldn't be), I would be an a$$hole. If it wasn't, I'd apologize and take the criticisms me doing my job badly merited. Those criticisms wouldn't be an attack on all trans people. It would be a criticism of the producers for being clueless.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
Nobody has is saying that nothing should ever be filmed at that location. My hope is that you are intelligent enough to understand the difference between the Hannah Montana Movie, a Mario Lopez holiday film, and this video.

If I were to film a movie celebrating lives of transgender people at the spot where a trans person murdered a child, lots of people would have a problem with it. It it were intentional (it wouldn't be), I would be an a$$hole. If it wasn't, I'd apologize and take the criticisms me doing my job badly merited. Those criticisms wouldn't be an attack on all trans people. It would be a criticism of the producers for being clueless.
That only applies if you think the criminals he was talking about were black people as opposed to just anyone acting up. Based on the videos it appears to be the latter.

I get not liking the video from your POV, but trying to shoehorn everything into this racism/not-racism paradigm really dilutes the reaction to true incidences of racism.

Wow. Right just a coincidence that it was a major lynching spot. But of course. I don’t think he looked for one but I’d hope and assume most people would do a bit of research into the location of their shoot.
A major lynching spot? Come on really. Had you ever even heard of the place until a few days ago?

Or here:

I started to watch the first one on mute and I was going to thank you (I find both incredibly sexy). Then a bunch of snakes appeared in the video, I screamed out loud, and so, I take back my thanks and now from Hell's heart, I stab at thee! For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee! (Name that movie).

Seriously, though, please don't post crap with snakes. Mods, can we get that crap taken down?

Of course she won't answer because the answer is no.
Why wouldn’t I answer? Nope hadn’t heard of it. However if I were doing a music video there I damn well would have done my research before hand, as mentioned above.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT