ADVERTISEMENT

Olympics Thread

I think I watched almost half. I saw all my favorite sports.
I recorded every event/session which allowed me experience a little of all the events without having to watch tons of hours.
fast forwarding thru events and eliminating commercials made it much more enjoyable. Eliminated a lot of the commentary and just watched competition

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I recorded every event/session which allowed me experience a little of all the events without having to watch tons of hours.
fast forwarding thru events and eliminating commercials made it much more enjoyable. Eliminated a lot of the commentary and just watched competition
Exactly how we watched it. My wife likes the equestrian stuff (rode in college too) so she got to see all that. I read a book during that. 😉

Exactly how we watched it. My wife likes the equestrian stuff (rode in college too) so she got to see all that. I read a book during that. 😉
I really hope that they keep all of the coverage on Peacock for a long time. There is a lot I would still like to watch.

And screw it, I'm going to LA in 2028. It's likely my last chance to witness the Olympics in person. Maybe it will be my retirement gift to myself. It might have to be, as I would want to be there for the entire duration and the Paralympics (though with the schedule, I would fly home and then fly back for the Paralympics). Hell, I would love to go to the 2030 Winter Paralympics in France, as there is a very good chance at least two friends of mine will be competing there (in sled hockey).

One of the coolest moments (of so many) the past couple of seeks was when Tara Davis-Woodhall won the long jump and jumped into her husband's arms. Shortly after she excitedly talked about how her husband is competing in the Paralympics and that people should watch those events as well. The videos of the two of them are just fantastic. Two very cool (and very talented) people. Love the fact that they have the same coach and train together.

I really hope that they keep all of the coverage on Peacock for a long time. There is a lot I would still like to watch.

And screw it, I'm going to LA in 2028. It's likely my last chance to witness the Olympics in person. Maybe it will be my retirement gift to myself. It might have to be, as I would want to be there for the entire duration and the Paralympics (though with the schedule, I would fly home and then fly back for the Paralympics). Hell, I would love to go to the 2030 Winter Paralympics in France, as there is a very good chance at least two friends of mine will be competing there (in sled hockey).

One of the coolest moments (of so many) the past couple of seeks was when Tara Davis-Woodhall won the long jump and jumped into her husband's arms. Shortly after she excitedly talked about how her husband is competing in the Paralympics and that people should watch those events as well. The videos of the two of them are just fantastic. Two very cool (and very talented) people. Love the fact that they have the same coach and train together.
I may also go to the Olympics in LA. You only live once.

• Love
Reactions: Noodle
I wonder what ticket prices are like to the run of the mill events? Not a MBB Gold medal game, but just a beach volleyball or sprint track or something like that. Anyone know? I've done zero research. I'm going to shoot my wad attending '26 World Cup instead of '28 Olympics. I doubt I can afford both.

I wonder what ticket prices are like to the run of the mill events? Not a MBB Gold medal game, but just a beach volleyball or sprint track or something like that. Anyone know? I've done zero research. I'm going to shoot my wad attending '26 World Cup instead of '28 Olympics. I doubt I can afford both.
World Cup? Is that a drinking championship?

I wonder if we take up air pistol now we might have a shot to make the team? I mean, a 58 year old American won silver in show jumping this year, so why not? I was pretty good with a pellet gun back in the day. And you're trained on shooting with a pistol, right? ;)
I told my wife last night that if I was going to the Olympics it would have to be in shooting. She read off a bunch of the oldest Olympians from this year and we're still younger.

I told my wife last night that if I was going to the Olympics it would have to be in shooting. She read off a bunch of the oldest Olympians from this year and we're still younger.

Cracks me up that the oldest skateboard competitor this year was 51.

It would be a lot cheaper to train with an air pistol than a bullet firing pistol. We better get crackin'!
Maybe. Those air pistols they use are well over $2,000, and I read that they test a lot of different batches of pellets just to find the right ones to use in competition.

Then again, it looks like a tin of 500 even the most expensive pellets is less than $20.

One thing (of several) that surprised me about air pistol is the need for hearing protection. I would not have expected them to be that loud, though perhaps it's the sharpness and frequency that makes hearing protection necessary.

Speaking of hearing protection, my doctor bugged me about wearing hearing protection when I mow the lawn. I ended up buying some over ear ones and love them. I can wear earbuds under them and they are so good I can actually turn the volume down when I am mowing (as compared to when I am putzing around the yard).

One thing (of several) that surprised me about air pistol is the need for hearing protection. I would not have expected them to be that loud, though perhaps it's the sharpness and frequency that makes hearing protection necessary.

Speaking of hearing protection, my doctor bugged me about wearing hearing protection when I mow the lawn. I ended up buying some over ear ones and love them. I can wear earbuds under them and they are so good I can actually turn the volume down when I am mowing (as compared to when I am putzing around the yard).
I have tinnitus most likely from my time in the Navy. I specialized in Engineering and Weapons on my first four ships and those expose you to extremely loud noise. It's a constant ringing in my left ear but not so bad I'm going to go nuts. I have a noise machine at night that helps me get to sleep. When I travel for work I generally sleep with the TV on because of that ringing. I'll wear hearing protection for the shooting. ;)

Reactions: Noodle
Looked that up last night and they were not that bad - if you are able to buy them via the ticket lottery, and if you are fine with the cheap seats. Women's gymnastics team finals, for example, ranged from 125 Euros to 690 Euros. But it was difficult to find out what they were going for on the secondary market. Weird one was the marathon. $40 for seats at the finish line - where you basically get about 10 minutes of action as they all finish ($24 to stand at street level of the finish line).

Link to official ticket prices: https://tickets.paris2024.org/obj/media/FR-Paris2024/ticket-prices.pdf

Last edited:
Looked that up last night and they were not that bad - if you are able to buy them via the ticket lottery, and if you are fine with the cheap seats. Women's gymnastics team finals, for example, ranged from 125 Euros to 690 Euros. But it was difficult to find out what they were going for on the secondary market. Weird one was the marathon. $40 for seats at the finish line - where you basically get about 10 minutes of action as they all finish ($24 to stand at street level of the finish line).

Link to official ticket prices: https://tickets.paris2024.org/obj/media/FR-Paris2024/ticket-prices.pdf
OK, maybe a little more than 10 minutes of action at the marathon finish line, as one of the female competitors finished in 3:52:59 - a mere 90 minutes after the winner and an hour behind the second to last finisher. Slowest male was only 36 minutes behind the winner.

OK, maybe a little more than 10 minutes of action at the marathon finish line, as one of the female competitors finished in 3:52:59 - a mere 90 minutes after the winner and an hour behind the second to last finisher. Slowest male was only 36 minutes behind the winner.
That is nothing, Japanese runner in the marathon finished 54 years 8 months 6 days 5 hours 32 minutes 20.3 seconds behind.

That is nothing, Japanese runner in the marathon finished 54 years 8 months 6 days 5 hours 32 minutes 20.3 seconds behind.

LOL Many years ago I ran the Bermuda Marathon. About 15 miles in, a local who had walked from this big mansion down to the street to get the morning paper said "You look like hell mate. Why don't you come in and have a bloody Mary with me?!?"

Though tempting, I soldiered on.

Read the Wiki article about the 1912 marathon in Stockholm (where the Japanese runner dropped out), and one of the competitors died from the heat that day. However, he did take a rather unique approach to dealing with the conditions, and it ultimately led to his death:

Lázaro was the first athlete to die during a modern Olympic event, after collapsing at the 30-kilometer mark (19 miles) of the marathon with a body temperature of 41 °C (105.8°F), The cause of death was initially thought to be severe dehydration due to the high temperature registered at the time of the race. Later it was discovered that Lázaro had covered large portions of his body with suet to prevent sunburn and to help with speed and lightness while running; but eventually the wax restricted the athlete's natural perspiration, leading to a fatal body fluid electrolyte imbalance.[2] Before the race, he had supposedly said: "Either I win or I die."[5]

How in the world was suet expected to help with "speed and lightness"?

Read the Wiki article about the 1912 marathon in Stockholm (where the Japanese runner dropped out), and one of the competitors died from the heat that day. However, he did take a rather unique approach to dealing with the conditions, and it ultimately led to his death:

Lázaro was the first athlete to die during a modern Olympic event, after collapsing at the 30-kilometer mark (19 miles) of the marathon with a body temperature of 41 °C (105.8°F), The cause of death was initially thought to be severe dehydration due to the high temperature registered at the time of the race. Later it was discovered that Lázaro had covered large portions of his body with suet to prevent sunburn and to help with speed and lightness while running; but eventually the wax restricted the athlete's natural perspiration, leading to a fatal body fluid electrolyte imbalance.[2] Before the race, he had supposedly said: "Either I win or I die."[5]

How in the world was suet expected to help with "speed and lightness"?

Immediately thought of one of my favorite Bond movies.

20228169965_3ca8337343_b.jpg

LOL Many years ago I ran the Bermuda Marathon. About 15 miles in, a local who had walked from this big mansion down to the street to get the morning paper said "You look like hell mate. Why don't you come in and have a bloody Mary with me?!?"

Though tempting, I soldiered on.
I have several friends who ran marathons together. Most were sub 3, but one was always over 4. That slow one put the story on his Facebook last week. I suggested he can now tell everyone he was faster than an Olympian.

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT