ADVERTISEMENT

Try That In a Small Town

dadbc145-9580-495d-bd76-f9523a6a6f97_1920x1080.jpg

Here is the gun fire heat map for Denver. I live close to one of the circles. I hear gun fire probably every couple of months. As you can easily predict, the gunfire locations closely correlate with minority neighborhoods, which is why gunfire sound technology is controversial

You don’t see this kind of map in smasl town USA.

Here is the gun fire heat map for Denver. I live close to one of the circles. I hear gun fire probably every couple of months. As you can easily predict, the gunfire locations closely correlate with minority neighborhoods, which is why gunfire sound technology is controversial

Why is one circle around only a blue low incidence of gun fire north of north park hill?

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
His racial self loathing is his biggest problem it’s gotten worse as he’s gotten older.
But in the cities, gun fire and violence is just like ambient background noise. It’s always present and is almost always for no reason.
No, it’s not.
Hell, urban leaders even admitted that is true. When asked why blacks get so riled up over cop excessive force and wildly over-estimate the number of cop killings of blacks, but pay little or no attention the the daily black-on-black killings, the answer was they are used to the latter and we just live with it. I don’t feel like looking for the link, but it’s out there.
I thought you lived in Denver. Pretty big city. When was the last time you heard gunfire?

You used hyperbole. Things aren’t great in Chicago right now, not what they could be. I think some of that is due to certain progressive policies. Not all, but some.

But your characterization of just how bad it is, much like the video that started this thread, is unhelpful hyperbole, and a generalization of certain neighborhoods to “cities.”

So you hear gunfire less than 10 times a year. You just impeached yourself.

• Love
Reactions: UncleMark
Haven't heard the song, but just looked up the lyrics. I LOVE me some country music. The more hillbilly & roots it sounds the better. The Ken Burns Country Music documentary is just amazing for the first several episodes from the beginnings to up to the 70s. I lose interest in the style/substance of the more modern stuff. But different strokes.

Anyway, after reading the lyrics I tend to think he's just writing a fluff piece that appeals to the mythos of "real America" and the profile of what he considers to be his customer base. It doesn't matter that the myth isn't true. Give the people what they want.

And I say the myth isn't true because it's not like small towns are idyllic places that defend all the good/right/true/honorable. Matthew Sheperd was killed in a small town for being gay. Schwerner/Goodman/Chaney were killed for registering folks to vote. James Meredith was shot in the country for making a march against fear. A lot of J6 people were from small towns and did indeed "cuss out a cop, spit in his face" and much much worse. Maybe that doesn't count since it didn't occur in a small town? Drugs and drug related crime are epidemic in small towns just like they are in cities. Cities aren't on a pedestal here either, they've got countless examples of BS too.

At any rate, I think he's just a musician making songs that will sell.
To paraphrase, a lot of small towns are shitholes.

I never claimed I lived in a red zone. But many people do live there, and they live with gun fire. They count .
They absolutely do. That's one of the critiques from the right that I think is pretty powerful. But let's be realistic: they account for a small percentage of any city (outside of the third-world shithole that is St. Louis).

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
I never claimed I lived in a red zone. But many people do live there, and they live with gun fire. They count . What
Yeah, I too wish we didn’t have an obsessed gun culture, where there are more guns than people. I’m sure no European cities have this problem.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
They absolutely do. That's one of the critiques from the right that I think is pretty powerful. But let's be realistic: they account for a small percentage of any city (outside of the third-world shithole that is St. Louis).
small Percentage isn’t relevant. The point is that more people feel unsafe because of the small percentage. They probably are more unsafe. The small percentage has effects beyond the boundaries.

small Percentage isn’t relevant. The point is that more people feel unsafe because of the small percentage. They probably are more unsafe. The small percentage has effects beyond the boundaries.
It's absolutely relevant when you write hyperbole like "But in the cities, gun fire and violence is just like ambient background noise. It’s always present and is almost always for no reason."

It isn't always present. When it is present, it isn't everywhere. I've lived in Chicago for 25 years (1 year, a block away from still-standing Marshall Field Garden Apartments and about three blocks from literal Cabrini Green)--I've heard a gunshot maybe once or twice (unless I was at an actual shooting range).

Haven't heard the song, but just looked up the lyrics. I LOVE me some country music. The more hillbilly & roots it sounds the better. The Ken Burns Country Music documentary is just amazing for the first several episodes from the beginnings to up to the 70s. I lose interest in the style/substance of the more modern stuff. But different strokes.

Anyway, after reading the lyrics I tend to think he's just writing a fluff piece that appeals to the mythos of "real America" and the profile of what he considers to be his customer base. It doesn't matter that the myth isn't true. Give the people what they want.

And I say the myth isn't true because it's not like small towns are idyllic places that defend all the good/right/true/honorable. Matthew Sheperd was killed in a small town for being gay. Schwerner/Goodman/Chaney were killed for registering folks to vote. James Meredith was shot in the country for making a march against fear. A lot of J6 people were from small towns and did indeed "cuss out a cop, spit in his face" and much much worse. Maybe that doesn't count since it didn't occur in a small town? Drugs and drug related crime are epidemic in small towns just like they are in cities. Cities aren't on a pedestal here either, they've got countless examples of BS too.

At any rate, I think he's just a musician making songs that will sell.
Yes, Aldean is full of commercial crap.

Aldean was born in the "small town" of Macon, Georgia (pop. 157,346).

It's absolutely relevant when you write hyperbole like "But in the cities, gun fire and violence is just like ambient background noise. It’s always present and is almost always for no reason."

It isn't always present. When it is present, it isn't everywhere. I've lived in Chicago for 25 years (1 year, a block away from still-standing Marshall Field Garden Apartments and about three blocks from literal Cabrini Green)--I've heard a gunshot maybe once or twice (unless I was at an actual shooting range).
I was paraphrasing those who live with it. “Small percentage” is meaningless. Only a small percentage of high school graduates are functional illiterates . But when a substantial portion are Black kids in the big cities, it’s a big problem.

Well if you think you are safer buying gas at midnight on Chicago’s south side than filling up in North Platte Nebraska, at midnight, good for you.

Yep, if you get shot by a punk while buying gas at a Southside Chicago gas station the gun used very might have been purchased in Indiana.

Say this because Indiana gun laws are pro gun ownership with limited regulations on who can buy, own, and carry a gun. The laws are passed by a state legislature dominated by rural (small town) communities.

Heck small town community gas stations probably aren't even open at midnight. Furthermore, the misfits from these towns moved a long time ago to urban cities where nobody knows them, and they can meet up with other misfits.

Last edited:

Take it easy on him. At some point, you are just showboating.

He’s awful.

yes I forgot that other one-which I actually think is significantly better. Around these parts, Fast Car is played way too often.
Gimme One Reason, Talking 'Bout A Revolution, and Baby, Can I Hold You Tonight are the others. I think all three are better than Fast Car, but sometimes the first one that breaks the mold is the most memorable.

Reactions: Baller23Boogie
Reactions: Indyhorn
He didn’t even write the song. It’s the video that’s controversial. Filmed in Columbia Tennessee that has racial history. Lynching and a race riot. The song to me isn’t the issue. Imho.
The video caused me to delete Aldean from my library on Apple Music- except The Truth which holds significance to me. He’s a sell out hill Jack dog whistler now screw him. I disbelieve he didn’t know the history of that place- screw racists!!!

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Lucy01
Yep, if you get shot by a punk while buying gas at a Southside Chicago gas station the gun used very might have been purchased in Indiana.

Say this because Indiana gun laws are pro gun ownership with limited regulations on who can buy, own, and carry a gun. The laws are passed by a state legislature dominated by rural (small town) communities.

Heck small town community gas stations probably aren't even open at midnight. Furthermore, the misfits from these towns moved a long time ago to urban cities where nobody knows them, and they can meet up with other misfits.
The straw purchase indiana thing is overblown. Most guns in Chicago are local.
One other interesting note from the report: the authors also tracked what states the guns came from, using ATF reports from 1999-2003. 48.3 percent came from Illinois; 11.6 percent from Indiana. Wisconsin and a handful of Southern states made up 1.8 to 2.8 percent. But just behind Indiana, at 9.6 percent, was Mississippi, suggesting the close social connections to the Delta I wrote about last week. Also of note…only 30% of gang leaders actually had a gun.

The video caused me to delete Aldean from my library on Apple Music- except The Truth which holds significance to me. He’s a sell out hill Jack dog whistler now screw him. I disbelieve he didn’t know the history of that place and if pleases Danc, Lucy, and CRay- guaranteed I oppose
If he did this for just sales or didn’t know doesn’t matter. It’s not a good look either way. The people who bought into this on both sides are pretty ignorant.

The straw purchase indiana thing is overblown. Most guns in Chicago are local.
One other interesting note from the report: the authors also tracked what states the guns came from, using ATF reports from 1999-2003. 48.3 percent came from Illinois; 11.6 percent from Indiana. Wisconsin and a handful of Southern states made up 1.8 to 2.8 percent. But just behind Indiana, at 9.6 percent, was Mississippi, suggesting the close social connections to the Delta I wrote about last week. Also of note…only 30% of gang leaders actually had a gun.
VMB, how can you say most guns in Chicago are local when only 48.3% come from Illinois ?

In my hypothetical Southside Chicago shooting I wrote the gun "very well might have come from Indiana". This could be interpreted as being overblown as according to this linked ATF trace 16.78% were purchased in Indiana.

The ATF link in part states the following,

New data analyzed by the ABC I-Team answers a question about where all of the guns coming into Chicago are from. Less than half of all guns used in crimes in Illinois came from Illinois.16.78

ATF Trace data shows the top five states where guns recovered in Illinois were originally purchased from are Illinois (49.8%), Indiana (16.7%), Missouri (5.4%), Wisconsin (3.9%) and Kentucky (2.6%). Federal agents at the ATF identified the source state of 11,708 traced firearms in 2020.

VMB, how can you say most guns in Chicago are local when only 48.3% come from Illinois ?

In my hypothetical Southside Chicago shooting I wrote the gun "very well might have come from Indiana". This could be interpreted as being overblown as according to this linked ATF trace 16.78% were purchased in Indiana.

The ATF link in part states the following,

New data analyzed by the ABC I-Team answers a question about where all of the guns coming into Chicago are from. Less than half of all guns used in crimes in Illinois came from Illinois.16.78

ATF Trace data shows the top five states where guns recovered in Illinois were originally purchased from are Illinois (49.8%), Indiana (16.7%), Missouri (5.4%), Wisconsin (3.9%) and Kentucky (2.6%). Federal agents at the ATF identified the source state of 11,708 traced firearms in 2020.
I get all that but people usually assume most come from out of state. Chicago lawmakers love to say Indiana is the problem. That’s why I said what I said.

Red meat song for wannabe tough guys and fake country dudes. And before you start, I live in a small town of 2900, have multiple guns, and hunt. But I can still think beyond trucks, guns, and girls.

The same goes for this song as when I hear teen kids here locally dropping the N word at the park. Try that crap in East St. Louis or Harvey Illinois. See where it gets you.

More bro country for a nation of pretenders.
It doesn't matter how big or small a place is or where its located. The issue is will the citizens protect where they live? We have seen in large cities the police basically stepping aside while these anarchists with BLM and Antifa destroy many businesses. Now before we think of mostly black people let us remember that many in these movements are white. What Aldeen is saying is that in a small town the people will rise to protect their community. Thus they are not like the city folks who just let it happen. Dan Dakich on his Outkick show talked about how word had gotten out that Crown Point was going to be targeted in one of these search and destroy movements. The people of Crown Point got together and when the anarchists showed up they left because of the resistance. I was talking to my wife about this and made the point that Crown Point has black and white people in it. I would assume that both races were involved in protecting the city.

It doesn't matter how big or small a place is or where its located. The issue is will the citizens protect where they live? We have seen in large cities the police basically stepping aside while these anarchists with BLM and Antifa destroy many businesses. Now before we think of mostly black people let us remember that many in these movements are white. What Aldeen is saying is that in a small town the people will rise to protect their community. Thus they are not like the city folks who just let it happen. Dan Dakich on his Outkick show talked about how word had gotten out that Crown Point was going to be targeted in one of these search and destroy movements. The people of Crown Point got together and when the anarchists showed up they left because of the resistance. I was talking to my wife about this and made the point that Crown Point has black and white people in it. I would assume that both races were involved in protecting the city.
We’re lucky to have Dakich. And love what you wrote about protecting where you live. Father what do you think about my strategy. If the bad guys are outside my house. I use my AR. If the bad guys are inside my house. My shotgun.

If a small town person goes into a big city and shoots a gun to commit violence, then is that a big city problem or a small town problem?

Right now people feel more inclined to point fingers than find solutions. The politics of it is more important than the issue

Last edited:
Without small towns you wouldn't have movies like Thelma and Louise. (Just trying to move the needle away from gas station shoot-ups)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT