ADVERTISEMENT

Trump's legacy . . .

. . . when he takes office, all three branches of government are in GOP hands. When he leaves, none of them will be. And the GOP is in a shambles.
I doubt I'll live long enough, but I'd be interested to see how history views the Trump era (not that it's over with) 20 or more years from now. I suspect a lot of it will depend on how we're able to recover in the near term. If we can.

I doubt I'll live long enough, but I'd be interested to see how history views the Trump era (not that it's over with) 20 or more years from now. I suspect a lot of it will depend on how we're able to recover in the near term. If we can.
He will be considered a seditionist who tried to overthrow an election by inciting yesterday's mob. He may well be the most despised character in American history.

He will be considered a seditionist who tried to overthrow an election by inciting yesterday's mob. He may well be the most despised character in American history.
Think his name will become synonymous with sedition the way Benedict Arnold's name is synonymous with being a traitor?

Trump is the best argument I can think of for a 100% estate tax on wealth in excess of $5 million.

. . . when he takes office, all three branches of government are in GOP hands. When he leaves, none of them will be. And the GOP is in a shambles.
GOPhers on Fox ssy yesterday was a shame considering all they’ve achieved in terms of tax reform, building up the military, Middle East peace, and on and on...

Reactions: Bill4411
Think his name will become synonymous with sedition the way Benedict Arnold's name is synonymous with being a traitor?

Trump is the best argument I can think of for a 100% estate tax on wealth in excess of $5 million.
I honestly believe he'll surpass Arnold in the rank of American villains, because he so abused the trust of the people. Perhaps surpassed only by John Wilkes Booth and Lee Harvey Oswald, since they actually killed the President.

I honestly believe he'll surpass Arnold in the rank of American villains, because he so abused the trust of the people. Perhaps surpassed only by John Wilkes Booth and Lee Harvey Oswald, since they actually killed the President.
Yeah, they only killed a president . . . he's bent on killing America.

I think he’ll be viewed as an awful president that exposed the dangers of the internet and social media. It’s impossible to separate Trump’s mess from the internet and how there needs to be immediate reforms, either regulatory or socially or both.

I think he’ll be viewed as an awful president that exposed the dangers of the internet and social media. It’s impossible to separate Trump’s mess from the internet and how there needs to be immediate reforms, either regulatory or socially or both.
What would those reforms be?

Agreed on all fronts. i think also, fair or not, his legacy will be presiding over 360,000 covid deaths.

Legacies are a tricky thing to visualize in the moment. Some bad presidents have pretty good legacies b/c of their work post presidency (Carter, W). Same on the flip side (Clinton). Hell, people softened on Nixon over time. Reagan's near impeccable legacy right after his term ended has taken hits.

Trump's on a whole other level though so it will be interesting. I can't see him doing anything post presidency which will enhance his legacy like Carter with his humanitarian works. I can't seem him acknowledging some of his worst behavior like Nixon. And people like W, so they look past some of his decision based on the position he was put in post 9/11.

Trump probably won't get a pass from the vast majority of Americans and he won't help himself out either.

Legacies are a tricky thing to visualize in the moment. Some bad presidents have pretty good legacies b/c of their work post presidency (Carter, W). Same on the flip side (Clinton). Hell, people softened on Nixon over time. Reagan's near impeccable legacy right after his term ended has taken hits.

Trump's on a whole other level though so it will be interesting. I can't see him doing anything post presidency which will enhance his legacy like Carter with his humanitarian works. I can't seem him acknowledging some of his worst behavior like Nixon. And people like W, so they look past some of his decision based on the position he was put in post 9/11.

Trump probably won't get a pass from the vast majority of Americans and he won't help himself out either.
Narcissism won’t allow it

One massive Trump failure that will be hard to measure is our loss in stature in the world, both economically and politically.

Reactions: Bill4411
Or at least compel them to divulge the Id of the user

In cases of potential or known criminal conduct I believe they have to turn over the users ID. Or at least turn over logged IP addresses, even if the platform owners don’t know the users real name.

In cases of potential or known criminal conduct I believe they have to turn over the users ID. Or at least turn over logged IP addresses, even if the platform owners don’t know the users real name.
That could be expanded to civil litigation.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
That's just his legacy to the Republican party. Technically the third branch is the Judicial, and they will hold that for a long time, but that's McConnell's legacy... unless you want credit Trump for RGB's death.

Trump's legacy to America will be the 400,000+ dead by the end of his term, the destruction of the robust economy he inherited, and the loss of faith in the democratic process. His legacy really boils down to Coronavirus and propaganda.

Most effective foreign policy administration since Reagan. A lot of that might of been luck, geopolitics doesn’t stop and start based on who happens to be in the White House. Maybe he was lucky to preside over a relatively calm four years in terms of global tensions.

But it can’t be denied in good faith.

tenor.gif

Before this week there were many that would willingly help him stay out of jail post presidency, now not so much. So, his legacy could get worse if thats imaginable.

What’s the legacy of his supporters? How will history remember those who enabled and cheered him on? My guess is not kindly.

Reactions: cosmickid
What’s the legacy of his supporters? How will history remember those who enabled and cheered him on? My guess is not kindly.
Unfortunately, they are still making their legacy.

Hundreds trespassed on the Capitol but relatively few will be caught and tried. (Too many faces are covered up in those videos.)

I'm afraid most of them will still be out there plotting, fomenting and hating for years to come.

I think you are vastly overestimating the demise of or lasting effects on the GOP. Once the Dems cannot put Trump out in front of every discussion revolving around Republicans, the people that are not simply emotional & can remain objective will focus on policy & issues. The same things that have always drawn certain people to them will again. Preservation of wealth, religion, etc. I am not saying that those are unassailable virtues of the GOP, but the type of things they have attracted voters with. Trump made many forget about them in the short term, but people aren’t going to abandon those core beliefs once he’s gone...

In all honesty we are lucky Trump didn't do what Hitler did to the Reichstag. If he would have had someone burn the Capital or blow it up, then blame it on the Chinese he could have declared martial law and held on to power. If all the legislators would have been in the building who would be there to object to it?

Reactions: sglowrider
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT