ADVERTISEMENT

Trump still leads even after the last debate.

meridian

Hall of Famer
Jul 3, 2001
Seattle
According to the Rasmussen poll, Trump still leads by 11 points over Carson and 23 points over Rubio. Either the debate didn't change much or the result of the debate has not sunk into the Republican voters' minds .

31% Trump
20% Carson
8% Rubio
8% Cruz
7% Bush
4% Fiorina

Rasmussen Reports

According to the Rasmussen poll, Trump still leads by 11 points over Carson and 23 points over Rubio. Either the debate didn't change much or the result of the debate has not sunk into the Republican voters' minds .

31% Trump
20% Carson
8% Rubio
8% Cruz
7% Bush
4% Fiorina

Rasmussen Reports

The bigger surprises are:

1) Jeb still maintaining 7% - he has been nothing short of awful
2) Carson still holding 20% after he clearly articulated he is unfit to be President
3) Fiorina not being higher

Reactions: stollcpa

2) Carson still holding 20% after he clearly articulated he is unfit to be President

Up until this debate I predicted a jeb! win. I thought he would develop the skill to explain why he's running. It seems now he can't, and that may mean he doesn't have some real reason to be running other than being President runs in the family. I don't think he has a realistic chance any longer.

Maybe it isn't 'that vision thing', his lack of clarity may mean that he is somewhat of an introvert and struggles in these settings. I don't think an introvert can get elected, but I'm not sure they would necessarily make a bad president. In fact, as an introvert I think they would make superior presidents to extroverts.

Up until this debate I predicted a jeb! win. I thought he would develop the skill to explain why he's running. It seems now he can't, and that may mean he doesn't have some real reason to be running other than being President runs in the family. I don't think he has a realistic chance any longer.

Maybe it isn't 'that vision thing', his lack of clarity may mean that he is somewhat of an introvert and struggles in these settings. I don't think an introvert can get elected, but I'm not sure they would necessarily make a bad president. In fact, as an introvert I think they would make superior presidents to extroverts.

Hmmmm . . . hey Marv, are you an introvert? :p

I agree with you on 1) & 2).
As for 3), I think her 4% is about right. CEO of HP is as high as she can go. Even there, she did a lousy job there.

Back to 1), I was thinking and hoping that he would be the nominee. I thought, with Clinton and Bush, we could not lose. After 3 debates and his lackluster campaign to date, I have finally concluded that he just is not what I thought he would be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Circlejoe

I officially tossed Jeb off my list during this debate.

If he lost me - he's done.

I AM the reasonable man.

I think Jeb would be a very, very good president, as would have Romney. It's why neither can or did win. We don't elect the best qualified anymore, we elect the best TV personality.

Hillary should have won in 2008...but was bested by an empty suit with a smooth tongue and a ready for prime time look. Suckered in even normally very intelligent people, including good friends of mine. Many of which voted Romney in 12

They can make all of the decisions and perhaps even do that better. However, communicating a message is quite a critical part of public office in general, let alone the top spot. Aside from that, you have to want to be willing to socialize with other politicians, foreign counterparts and administration advisors.

I agree with you on 1) & 2).
As for 3), I think her 4% is about right. CEO of HP is as high as she can go. Even there, she did a lousy job there.

Back to 1), I was thinking and hoping that he would be the nominee. I thought, with Clinton and Bush, we could not lose. After 3 debates and his lackluster campaign to date, I have finally concluded that he just is not what I thought he would be.

Meh, I thought her answers were good enough to move her up the polls. I don't expect her to win, but she may be a decent VP.

Ok, take off your Clinton fan boy outfit for a second and let's think about this differently...

If a Republican was going to win, who would you prefer (even if they dropped out already)?

It will come down to Rubio and Cruz. And Rubio will win. Until Hillary kicks his butt in the general.

I think Jeb would be a very, very good president, as would have Romney. It's why neither can or did win. We don't elect the best qualified anymore, we elect the best TV personality.

Hillary should have won in 2008...but was bested by an empty suit with a smooth tongue and a ready for prime time look. Suckered in even normally very intelligent people, including good friends of mine. Many of which voted Romney in 12

100% agree

I have never thought that these made for TV debates were a good way to choose a president. The problems with these "debates" are magnified with the numbers we have in the GOP field this year. Nobody has time to say anything. Rubio understands the problem when he said he is running for president, not against anybody on the stage. Carson gets it too when he suggested some radical changes to the format, however he didn't go far enough.

I'd get rid of the moderators and replace them with a time keeper. Give each candidate 5 minutes to say how they would address each of the five issues the polls say are the most important to the voters. This would expose the shallowness of Trump and give the more thoughtful candidates like Carson a chance to make a showing. Then have the candidates ask each other questions about their proposals. End of debate.

CNBC tried to turn the debate into a gang version of Meet the Press except all of the mods put together don't have half the brains of Tim Russert. As a result they got a clusterf*ck.

BTW, I still think Bush would be an excellent president. I don't know if his debate strategy comes from him or his advisors, but it sure doesn't play well and raises doubts about his abilities.

They can make all of the decisions and perhaps even do that better. However, communicating a message is quite a critical part of public office in general, let alone the top spot. Aside from that, you have to want to be willing to socialize with other politicians, foreign counterparts and administration advisors.

A person that was widely accepted as our best ever president, was also widely accepted to be an introvert.

Of course he'd never have a chance to be elected in our current times.

100% agree

I have never thought that these made for TV debates were a good way to choose a president. The problems with these "debates" are magnified with the numbers we have in the GOP field this year. Nobody has time to say anything. Rubio understands the problem when he said he is running for president, not against anybody on the stage. Carson gets it too when he suggested some radical changes to the format, however he didn't go far enough.

I'd get rid of the moderators and replace them with a time keeper. Give each candidate 5 minutes to say how they would address each of the five issues the polls say are the most important to the voters. This would expose the shallowness of Trump and give the more thoughtful candidates like Carson a chance to make a showing. Then have the candidates ask each other questions about their proposals. End of debate.

CNBC tried to turn the debate into a gang version of Meet the Press except all of the mods put together don't have half the brains of Tim Russert. As a result they got a clusterf*ck.

BTW, I still think Bush would be an excellent president. I don't know if his debate strategy comes from him or his advisors, but it sure doesn't play well and raises doubts about his abilities.

The 10 person debate thing is ridiculous. I don't know what you do to fix it, as its been a problem for a few cycles now. It's not a debate once you get past 4 or 5 people.

communicating a message is quite a critical part of public office in general,

Don't agree

I think communicating a message is a critical part of being a candidate for public office, not so much for doing the job. Take Hillary. The ARB said this of her State Department: "[The] bureau-level senior officials in critical positions of authority and responsibility in Washington demonstrated a lack of leadership and management ability appropriate for senior ranks . . . ." They are talking about "senior ranks" and should be the people Hillary interacts with on a regular bases. The Benghazi mess is on her. Yet she communicated so well at the hearing nobody gives crap about her ability to manage anything.

Ok, take off your Clinton fan boy outfit for a second and let's think about this differently...
If a Republican was going to win, who would you prefer (even if they dropped out already)?
Jeb Bush. He seems like the only sane person out there. IMHO, he is the best of the Bush's as well. Well, maybe Kasichi?
Also, Clinton is not my first choice. However, it appears that she will be the Democratic choice, in which case she is far better than anyone GOP is going to nominate.

No one suckered me in at all, nor many intelligent people that proudly voted for President Obama. While there are areas of disappointment, many of which can be attributed to a Congress which refused to work with him, I've been very pleased with what he has been able to accomplish. Particularly considering the mess the country was in after the Bush years. Your condescending " suckered in even by normally intelligent people" is amusing.

100% agree

You consider Carson a more thoughtful candidate? Which issues do you think he has shown to have any understanding whatsoever? I actually think he is a bigger joke than Trump.

Reactions: IU-Curmudgeon
That by definition is not a good candidate IMO.
Hard to be a good candidate for a job you don't really want.

I can almost - almost! - imagine Jeb as a sullen teenager listening to his dad tell him how important it is to follow in his and his brother's footsteps, only to march up to his room, slam the door, drop heavily on the bed, and say to no one in particular, "But I don't wanna be president. I wanna be an astronaut!"

Reactions: HillzHoozier
You consider Carson a more thoughtful candidate? Which issues do you think he has shown to have any understanding whatsoever? I actually think he is a bigger joke than Trump.

You don't need to be a brain surgeon

To answer this. He lived and talks a lot about what is rapidly becoming a very serious problem for the country. All the democrats can do about this is mumble something about white privileges and 1%ers.

To answer this. He lived and talks a lot about what is rapidly becoming a very serious problem for the country. All the democrats can do about this is mumble something about white privileges and 1%ers.

He lives and talks like he's got serious mental issues. They man just isn't right in the head. Frame it how you want, he's a fricking nutter and so is much of what he says.

I'm voting for Bernie as a wakeup vote, he doesn't make it and Trump does I may well vote for Trump for the same reasons. A wake up call to the parties. Enough of your big business bs you better start paying attention.

Last edited:

Well, just last week Rock posted a top ten list of some of the ridiculous things he has said. I'm sure he's added to it. Just yesterday I read an article that discusses how Republican candidates actually use intellect as a bad trait, and Carson was the main culprit. They said he was an idiot savant, with the only part of his savant part being his medical career. To clarify, you think he is qualified, because he disagrees with "white privilege?" Even if I agreed with that, I'd want a little more substance on the issues.

Ben Carson is a kook. Obviously a kook. Indisputably a kook. He can separate conjoined twins, but he's a kook.

Reactions: cosmickid
Well, just last week Rock posted a top ten list of some of the ridiculous things he has said. I'm sure he's added to it. Just yesterday I read an article that discusses how Republican candidates actually use intellect as a bad trait, and Carson was the main culprit. They said he was an idiot savant, with the only part of his savant part being his medical career. To clarify, you think he is qualified, because he disagrees with "white privilege?" Even if I agreed with that, I'd want a little more substance on the issues.

Stay focused Zeke.

You asked me what Carson was thoughtful about and a I told you. That's it! He has said, and has a lot of things to say about race relations, that far exceeds the comprehencion of even Obama (Who stupidly appoligized to the colonists who imposed slavery on the New World for us having slavery).

The like button just wasn't enough. Plus 1000%

I notice how you start nearly every reply with an insult. That's truly conducive to thoughtful debate of the issues. If you will look back at my post, you will see that it is plural. However, Carson's repeated use of slavery and Nazi analogies actually prove he even lacks gravitas in the one area you applaud him. So basically, he's got nothing.

I notice how you start nearly every reply with an insult. That's truly conducive to thoughtful debate of the issues. If you will look back at my post, you will see that it is plural. However, Carson's repeated use of slavery and Nazi analogies actually prove he even lacks gravitas in the one area you applaud him. So basically, he's got nothing.

Huh?

"Stay focused" is an insult? Sorry about that. I meant no insult to you. Instead I intended a pithy comment about how you departed from what I actually said.

Carson's repeated use of slavery and Nazi

I think you have been distracted

by shiny objects. Carson really does have a lot of important things to say about race relations. There is no doubt that he lived through many of the things others can only read about. Anyway, I think his Nazi reference was to the constant PC attacks leveled at him and others.

Your comments about Carson reminds me of this parody of a CNBC debate question I read somewhere:

"Do you support the recent 2-year budget agreement passed by both houses, and if not, why are you a racist?"

Seems like, you, the Democrats and obviously biased press has their reactions to ANY GOP candidate comment pre-programmed and filed away to be used without regard to what is said. The Carson=Kook meme is part of that*. Obama not only says, but believes, a lot of dumb things too; mostly having to do with US history.

*Yeah he has said some kooky things. But only shallow thinkers think that is all there is to him.

I think you have been distracted

by shiny objects. Carson really does have a lot of important things to say about race relations. There is no doubt that he lived through many of the things others can only read about. Anyway, I think his Nazi reference was to the constant PC attacks leveled at him and others.

Your comments about Carson reminds me of this parody of a CNBC debate question I read somewhere:

"Do you support the recent 2-year budget agreement passed by both houses, and if not, why are you a racist?"

Seems like, you, the Democrats and obviously biased press has their reactions to ANY GOP candidate comment pre-programmed and filed away to be used without regard to what is said. The Carson=Kook meme is part of that*. Obama not only says, but believes, a lot of dumb things too; mostly having to do with US history.

*Yeah he has said some kooky things. But only shallow thinkers think that is all there is to him.

It's not so much that he has SAID kooky things.It's that he actually BELIEVES kooky things.Not sure how you divorce what he BELIEVES from what is basically the ESSENCE of him? What is left to think about him?

Reactions: meridian
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT