ADVERTISEMENT

This Board has become almost unreadable

SIhoosier26

All-Big Ten
Sep 9, 2017
Negative post after negative post about a coach and team that has us 5-1 after losing their top 4 scorers..

Look I'm not saying we are great or are going to be, but anyone with any common sense at all knew there was going to be growing pains after losing their all american big man, 1st round point guard, and two other starters.

I'm just saying to let the season play out, also Woodson isn't going anywhere until he decides to leave. He's made the tournament and won games in his two years after IU hadn't even made it once in their previous 5. He's done this while recruiting off the charts so far.

He's not even close to the hot seat currently, some of you need to stop watching the Kent Sterling's of the world and step on over to reality.

Folks just need to live in the moment and ride a journey rather than chase some mythical destination.

As some wise person, I forget who -- used to say to me when I was a kid: enjoy the thrill of victory... and the agony of defeat... the human drama of athletic competition.

There is way too much grass is greener, just a little over-the-horizon mindset here.

Plus we need to have some humility -- how many of us here thought Archie was The One? I would guess 90% here.

Too much saviour mentality. Some white knight who will ride in and save us (eg Brad Boy.) Then blaming others for failure when most of us know at work or business; building and running a company is only easy on paper. No diff for running the Athletic Dept.

Poor decisions are only obvious in 20/20... you know fog of something.

If linear regression is used; there is a clear upward trajectory. And compared to the previous regime, a massive difference.

So instead of being outraged like Gen Z kids on social media by looking at things, moment to moment why not just see how this plays out? It's still early doors.

Unless I have been completely wrong and really I am talking to mainly Gen Zs here. And if so, I am one of the senior citizens here. ;)

Last edited:
Negative post after negative post about a coach and team that has us 5-1 after losing their top 4 scorers..

Look I'm not saying we are great or are going to be, but anyone with any common sense at all knew there was going to be growing pains after losing their all american big man, 1st round point guard, and two other starters.

I'm just saying to let the season play out, also Woodson isn't going anywhere until he decides to leave. He's made the tournament and won games in his two years after IU hadn't even made it once in their previous 5. He's done this while recruiting off the charts so far.

He's not even close to the hot seat currently, some of you need to stop watching the Kent Sterling's of the world and step on over to reality.
I don't think people are that negative, bringing up things that are concerning leads to good conversation.

I don't think people are that negative, bringing up things that are concerning leads to good conversation.
The posts on the front page are all about replacements for Woodson, whether or not any of our players can even make 3s in practice, and Woody's "hockey line" substitution patterns.

If that's what qualifies as "good conversation" around here then it just further justifies my point that this board is becoming unreadable.

The posts on the front page are all about replacements for Woodson, whether or not any of our players can even make 3s in practice, and Woody's "hockey line" substitution patterns.

If that's what qualifies as "good conversation" around here then it just further justifies my point that this board is becoming unreadable.
didn't read the one on 3s in practice. the post I made on Larranaga was sarcasm. substitution pattern's is good conversation. Woodson seems to sub like NBA teams to is that effective in the college game.

biggest problem is people expectation. I'm a realist were not close to being the elite program we once were and that sucks, especially while Purdue has been ranked number 1 parts of the last 3 seasons.

If going to the tournament every other year is the goal, I agree this should be a very positive place. I don't see this team going to the tournament. hope to be pleasantly surprised.

didn't read the one on 3s in practice. the post I made on Larranaga was sarcasm. substitution pattern's is good conversation. Woodson seems to sub like NBA teams to is that effective in the college game.

biggest problem is people expectation. I'm a realist were not close to being the elite program we once were and that sucks, especially while Purdue has been ranked number 1 parts of the last 3 seasons.

If going to the tournament every other year is the goal, I agree this should be a very positive place. I don't see this team going to the tournament. hope to be pleasantly surprised.
1. I wasn't talking about your post on Larranaga, I was talking about the one on Dusty May.

2. Purdue hasn't made a final 4 since 1980, so who gives a shit where they are ranked in November?

3. I never said making the tournament "every other year" was the goal. Woodson has made the tournament every year so far since he's been here not "every other year". If he starts missing the tournament then my opinion will change, that said, at 5-1 there's no reason to assume that will happen at this point.

4. IU has a young team with top end freshman and sophomores, freshman and sophomores tend to get better as the season goes on, they're not close to what they will be at the end of the season. Purdue on the other hand is exactly what they will be, good team with a low ceiling in March.

1. I wasn't talking about your post on Larranaga, I was talking about the one on Dusty May.

2. Purdue hasn't made a final 4 since 1980, so who gives a shit where they are ranked in November?

3. I never said making the tournament "every other year" was the goal. Woodson has made the tournament every year so far since he's been here not "every other year". If he starts missing the tournament then my opinion will change, that said, at 5-1 there's no reason to assume that will happen at this point.

4. IU has a young team with top end freshman and sophomores, freshman and sophomores tend to get better as the season goes on, they're not close to what they will be at the end of the season. Purdue on the other hand is exactly what they will be, good team with a low ceiling in March.
On #2, I give a shit. Indiana hasn’t done anything since 2002 with mostly miserable seasons since.
Such a stupid argument to down play their success. See if you can find one IU fan that wouldn’t take their results over the last 20+ years vs ours.
It’s been so long since IUBB has had anything worth being positive about they’ve become as dumb as IUFB fans.

On #2, I give a shit. Indiana hasn’t done anything since 2002 with mostly miserable seasons since.
Such a stupid argument to down play their success. See if you can find one IU fan that wouldn’t take their results over the last 20+ years vs ours.
It’s been so long since IUBB has had anything worth being positive about they’ve become as dumb as IUFB fans.
If you give a shit about where college basketball teams are ranked in November then that's a you problem.

Also, IU hasn't done anything since 2002? How about conference titles and sweet 16s? Which have been pretty much the highlights of Purdue's success of almost the last 50 years.

There are plenty of programs that I'm jealous of in the past 20 years, Purdue is not one of them. If Painter went as long without a final 4 at IU along with the embarrassing early exits he would've been gone by now. Period.

Last edited:
I think the concern is not that IU is 5-1, but that it is barely 5-1 against teams that any B10 should easily beat. As you stated, they are young and finding their way, which is what the non-conference games are for.

Nov ranking adds publicity, which is helpful in dome ways, but as it was said above, means nothing in March.

I think the concern is not that IU is 5-1, but that it is barely 5-1 against teams that any B10 should easily beat.
I don't know if you've noticed but the BIG 10 hasn't exactly set the world on fire this year.

Our first 2 BIG Ten opponents are a combined 8-6 so far with losses to teams like UAB, Davidson, and Long Beach State.

Even arguably the 1st or 2nd best team in Michigan State lost to James Madison.

Bottom line is it's early many teams (even good teams) struggle early in the season. After what IU lost it shouldn't be surprising that the performances haven't been perfect. Through all of the struggles so far IU has avoided any bad losses and they've already shown signs of improvement.

We'll see what the rest of the season holds.

I agree that Woody being on the hot seat is a bit much, but there are many valid concerns. And it's not the start, per se, that's alarming; it's that some or many of these issues aren't likely going away. For example:

1. Shooting: In 6 games, IU's guards have made 10 3FGs ... and the most the team has made in a game is 4 (while shooting below 30%). That's almost impossible in modern college basketball. Yearly issue.

2. Rebounding. Yearly issue.

3. 3-point defense: Yearly issue.

4. Guard depth: Pathetic.

5. Offensive scheme: What scheme? Yearly issue.

While there might be improvement in these areas, they won't get "solved " I love the frontcourt, but they won't be able to dominate against stiffer competition without an outside threat. Good teams know how to play an effective zone.

Moreover, I don't view pointing out IU's flaws as being negative; rather, I see them as very real weaknesses.

I agree that Woody being on the hot seat is a bit much, but there are many valid concerns. And it's not the start, per se, that's alarming; it's that some or many of these issues aren't likely going away. For example:

1. Shooting: In 6 games, IU's guards have made 10 3FGs ... and the most the team has made in a game is 4 (while shooting below 30%). That's almost impossible in modern college basketball. Yearly issue.

While there might be improvement in these areas, they won't get "solved " I love the frontcourt, but they won't be able to dominate against stiffer competition without an outside threat. Good teams know how to play an effective zone.

Moreover, I don't view pointing out IU's flaws as being negative; rather, I see them as very real weaknesses.
Many of IU's issues can be attributed to guard play, and guard play has been a legitimate issue.

JHS was decent defensively for a freshman but he left after his freshman year. I'm not as big of a fan of XJ as I once was, I think he holds the team back at times. Galloway either needs to start making shots or he can't play, his defense/rebounding hasn't been good enough to make up for the nothing he's brought on offense.

Cupps has a lot of potential but he is a freshman that hasn't grown into his college body yet.

That said, Woodson can still fix these things as he's only 6 games into his third year. It takes awhile to build a program.

Woodson can still fix these things as he's only 6 games into his third year.
Serious question: Given what we've witnessed in 2 seasons + 6 games, what makes you think Woody can build a program? And please don't come back with the back-to-back NCAAT appearances argument. I'd argue that, given the rosters, he's actually underachieved.

Besides, comparing MW's first two seasons to Crean's last few and Archie's tenure sets a very low bar. I'd wager good money, right now, that Woody never advances beyond the S16 ... if that.

I appreciate Woody the person--and I applauded the hire--but I think there's a low ceiling with how far he can take this program.

Serious question: Given what we've witnessed in 2 seasons + 6 games, what makes you think Woody can build a program? And please don't come back with the back-to-back NCAAT appearances argument. I'd argue that, given the rosters, he's actually underachieved.

Besides, comparing MW's first two seasons to Crean's last few and Archie's tenure sets a very low bar. I'd wager good money, right now, that Woody never advances beyond the S16 ... if that.
Woodson so far has proven to be a very good recruiter as well as a no bs guy. I have no doubt that he knows what the problems are and is doing his best to fix them.

Also people need to realize that IU isn't and hasn't been an elite program in a long time. Doesn't mean they can't get back, just that they're not now. Expecting final 4s right away with guys like Race, Galloway, and Miller Kopp starting (as well as the lack of depth down low the last few years something Woody fixed this year) is simply expecting too much.

Woodson took over an IU program that had missed the tournament for 5 straight years, so despite the attempts to downplay it, making the tournament and winning games his first two years with that same group WAS an accomplishment.

It takes years to build a program as we've seen from many of the top coaches in the sport, with Woodson's age I look at him as more of a bridge coach than one that will have all the success but I'm almost sure he'll leave the program in much better shape than he found it.

Either way in terms of wins and losses he hasn't done anything to deserve the amount of hate he's gotten on this board from "fans" and from many of IU's pathetic writers and analysts. They're 5-1, let it play out.

I appreciate Woody the person--and I applauded the hire--but I think there's a low ceiling with how far he can take this program.
All he needs is to grab luck and have someone like a JHS or a Mgbako to come back the 2nd year, which seems like a possibility at this point. That type of team I'd like to think could make the second weekend.

Reactions: sglowrider
Woodson so far has proven to be a very good recruiter as well as a no bs guy. I have no doubt that he knows what the problems are and is doing his best to fix them.

Also people need to realize that IU isn't and hasn't been an elite program in a long time. Doesn't mean they can't get back, just that they're not now. Expecting final 4s right away with guys like Race, Galloway, and Miller Kopp starting (as well as the lack of depth down low the last few years something Woody fixed this year) is simply expecting too much.

Woodson took over an IU program that had missed the tournament for 5 straight years, so despite the attempts to downplay it, making the tournament and winning games his first two years with that same group WAS an accomplishment.

It takes years to build a program as we've seen from many of the top coaches in the sport, with Woodson's age I look at him as more of a bridge coach than one that will have all the success but I'm almost sure he'll leave the program in much better shape than he found it.

Either way in terms of wins and losses he hasn't done anything to deserve the amount of hate he's gotten on this board from "fans" and from many of IU's pathetic writers and analysts. They're 5-1, let it play out.

The Muppets Agree GIF by ABC Network

You misunderstood my post on Dusty May. I wasn't saying I think or want him as Woody's replacement now, I was just trying to recognize a guy with IU ties for his success, and sort of lamenting that I already think the timing is not going to work out, and that his success will net him opportunities this year. There's been lots of talk about Woody's age, so I do think it would be smart for Dolson to take his temp and think might he be here in 2-3 years or might he be retiring or moving on. I feel like we've been caught flat-footed through 3 hires and I'd like to see that change.

Imho if you want to see more positive discussion on this board, start a thread about something positive with the team. Complaining about the people complaining will only lead to more complaints about things.

here is a nugget, perhaps it’s wisdom: the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat are both emotionally immature reactions. I used to be devastated by IUBB losses, truly an irrational and immature reaction. But, so is jumping up and down, cheering, high fiving people, etc.

Or, maybe it’s just part of being entertained, no different from cheering for the good guy in a movie, or shouting for the band to play an encore.

Sorry, I digress. Time for more coffee.

Reactions: FormerRevMatt
Imho if you want to see more positive discussion on this board, start a thread about something positive with the team. Complaining about the people complaining will only lead to more complaints about things.

here is a nugget, perhaps it’s wisdom: the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat are both emotionally immature reactions. I used to be devastated by IUBB losses, truly an irrational and immature reaction. But, so is jumping up and down, cheering, high fiving people, etc.

Or, maybe it’s just part of being entertained, no different from cheering for the good guy in a movie, or shouting for the band to play an encore.

Sorry, I digress. Time for more coffee.
and again, per my above post, I was not complaining in anyway. I like what I've heard of Dusty May and am happy for his success and wanted to just call it out! I'd lost track of them after they lost to Bryant and was shocked when I learned they'd won that holiday tournament vs 2 ranked teams and destroying VA Tech in the final. It wasn't dissatisfaction with Woody or this team, as much as trying to laud a guy with Hoosier ties... much like I've seen done with Todd Yeagley.

and again, per my above post, I was not complaining in anyway. I like what I've heard of Dusty May and am happy for his success and wanted to just call it out! I'd lost track of them after they lost to Bryant and was shocked when I learned they'd won that holiday tournament vs 2 ranked teams and destroying VA Tech in the final. It wasn't dissatisfaction with Woody or this team, as much as trying to laud a guy with Hoosier ties... much like I've seen done with Todd Yeagley.
and that’s exactly how I interpreted it after reading the first post you made.

Reactions: kkott

On shooting - We're off to a miserable start from the 3. But our effective field goal percentage is ranked 40 (KP) and Ware, MR, and MM are all well above 60% from inside the arc. And last year our team pct from 3 was 37% (39th highest). Agree, though, if we get to last year's percentage with this current team we're a top 25 team, at least.

On rebounding - Agree with you this is a vulnerability for us. In my opinion part of the issue here is CMW wants his bigs to protect the rim, and we do that really well (22nd currently, 12th last year). Going after shots makes rebounding more challenging, but it also takes away drives to the basket as we've seen already this season. CMW has called out our rebounding, though, so he also wants it to be better.

On 3 pt defense - I think these early non-con games really emphasize the vulnerabilities in our defense when teams rely heavily on shooting 3s. But looking at the numbers the last 2 seasons, our overall defensive numbers (opponents' effective field goal pct & efficiency, we were top 30 in 2021 and top 40 in 2022). But teams do score more points from 3 against us compared to the national average.

Guard depth - To be determined.

Offensive scheme - Last year our offense was top 30. We're now in the top 80 after being well below 100 previously. I get that lots of people don't like CMW's scheme. But that doesn't mean he doesn't have one.

Precisely. But there are some things that merit open and honest discussion.
Most glaring, it is not being "negative" to state we can't defend nor shoot a 3-pointer in a game with a roster full of either
experienced or highly ranked players we should not need so much work on both ends of the floor.
We are not a Division 3 school

Reactions: GThomas
I think we're doing pretty good. My expectations were tempered after losing all that experience. Not final 4 material but top half and NCAA would be good for this team. Simply not dynamic enough in the back court. Front court holds big promise. Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: SIhoosier26

very well put!

Thank you

in other words. if you don't agree with the pollyannas. shut up

While I agree with a good chunk of what you’ve said, “let it play out” is what was heard from the Archie defenders down to the bitter end. At some point, it has played out enough.

Woody is not on the hot seat, nor should he be. But they’re reasons to be concerned.

While I agree with a good chunk of what you’ve said, “let it play out” is what was heard from the Archie defenders down to the bitter end. At some point, it has played out enough.

Woody is not on the hot seat, nor should he be. But they’re reasons to be concerned.
Archie never made the tournament while he was here, Woodson has made it both years and has been miles better as a recruiter.

Archie was beyond horrible in his time here, they're not even close in terms of production so far.

Under Crean, we were ranked No. 1 for most of a season. But then, we got embarrassed by a zone defense in the tourney.

Given what Crean had to face when he became IU coach, the No.1 ranking was in fact an actual accomplishment. Ultimately, though, all rankings become overshadowed by performance and/or embarrassing losses. Just ask Purdue (again and again).

what is interesting... it's the same birds of a feather... same shtick every year

what is interesting... it's the same birds of a feather... same shtick every year

Troll accounts embedded here for a long time seem to have ramped up their efforts and outrageousness lately.

I half believe they are paid by Rivals to elevate posting activity and views to produce more ad revenue.

Certainly a reason they are continued to post nonsense.

Thanks for posting this.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
I don't know if you've noticed but the BIG 10 hasn't exactly set the world on fire this year.

Our first 2 BIG Ten opponents are a combined 8-6 so far with losses to teams like UAB, Davidson, and Long Beach State.

Even arguably the 1st or 2nd best team in Michigan State lost to James Madison.

Bottom line is it's early many teams (even good teams) struggle early in the season. After what IU lost it shouldn't be surprising that the performances haven't been perfect. Through all of the struggles so far IU has avoided any bad losses and they've already shown signs of improvement.

We'll see what the rest of the season holds.
getting beat by 20 is a bad loss. losing a close game to UConn would be a different story

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT