ADVERTISEMENT

Will 2024 be a (very) mini-2002?

Since I think there's zero chance we get an at large bid...then not having to play Illinois and/or Purdue, would help our NCAA chances. But if there's any sort of faint heartbeat for an at large, we need to be playing Illinois on Saturday, and Purdue on Sunday.
I've seen others say that if we win 3 we have a 50-50 shot at the tourney. Frankly, I'm not nearly as focused on making the tourney as others, because I would expect another St. Mary's/Miami type performance if we got there. I'd just like to just see us do well in the BTT for once. Also, winning 6 in a row might help us with this year's transfer portal. And frankly, winning 3 in the BTT isn't all that appealing to me if PU makes it to the final game,. because we'd very probably get smacked after playing 3 straight nights.

Maybe we could win 3 and Edey turns an ankle in their 2nd game.......

I've seen others say that if we win 3 we have a 50-50 shot at the tourney. Frankly, I'm not nearly as focused on making the tourney as others, because I would expect another St. Mary's/Miami type performance if we got there. I'd just like to just see us do well in the BTT for once. Also, winning 6 in a row might help us with this year's transfer portal. And frankly, winning 3 in the BTT isn't all that appealing to me if PU makes it to the final game,. because we'd very probably get smacked after playing 3 straight nights.

Maybe we could win 3 and Edey turns an ankle in their 2nd game.......
Assuming Trey is healthy...I think we'd probably give Purdue a much better game this time around. We're still inconsistent, so I don't think we could put together enough "good minutes" to actually beat Purdue, but we're definitely playing better now than we did in either of those other games with them.

Assuming Trey is healthy...I think we'd probably give Purdue a much better game this time around. We're still inconsistent, so I don't think we could put together enough "good minutes" to actually beat Purdue, but we're definitely playing better now than we did in either of those other games with them.
I'd like to see us play Purdue if we can get some fair whistles wrt Ware. He's a problem for Edey when he doesn't have to play timid.

Anyway, I'm prepared to lose to Penn State Thursday night, but I hope we don't.

Wrt Galloway, I know he said he'd be ready to play THursday, but if it were that minor and he just needed a few days of rehab, I suspect he'd have played more yesterday. I'm guessing his postgame comments were filled with optimism and not much reality.

I'd like to see us play Purdue if we can get some fair whistles wrt Ware. He's a problem for Edey when he doesn't have to play timid.

Wrt Galloway, I know he said he'd be ready to play THursday, but if it were that minor and he just needed a few days of rehab, I suspect he'd have played more yesterday. I'm guessing his postgame comments were filled with optimism and not much reality.
Worried about Trey too...and how we responded to him being out. We almost immediately reverted back to Good Ole Woody Dump it Down ball... Ware made it work out, but that isn't a sustainable style to win multiple games in a row this week.

Minn has lost 4 of 5
Wisconsin has lost 5 or 8
Michigan State has lost 4 of 5

Go beat Nebraska and Illinois and maybe we can talk but the competiton the last four has been poor.
I know it doesn't fit your narrative but two of those last four wins was on the road.

I don't think we have any chance in a hypothetical matchup with Purdue for two reasons: (1) We will have already played 1 more game; and (2) Edey will foul out both Ware and MR. If I were Woodson I'd consider alternating Sparks and Walker on him in the first half in an attempt to keep Ware and MR in the game.

Last edited:
I don't think we have any chance is a hypothetical matchup with Purdue for two reasons: (11) We will have already played 1 more game; and (2) Edey will foul out both Ware and MR. If I were Woodson I'd consider alternating Sparks and Walker on him in the first half in an attempt to keep Ware and MR in the game.
Tough one. I wouldn't take either of those guys out, we need them offensively too badly. I'd tell Ware to try to play 3/4, but don't ever grab with your back arm. Try to dissuade post entries with his length. But if they do pass it in the post, just wall up on him and don't try to block his shot. Same for Malik when he guards him.

And I wouldn't double team Edey early in the game. If he scores 25 in the first half, so be it, make it really hard on the rest of the team. Save the doubling and stuff for the 2nd half, if needed. Purdue has plays and stuff designed for teams that run doubles at Edey. Throw out double teams sporadically when guys like Morton are in the game.

Its nothing Purdue/Edey haven't already seen, I'm sure. But the last thing you can be against them is predictable. And you're not going to stop Edey anyway...you just can't get in foul trouble, and you can't give their perimeter guys open looks from the outside. That's how Purdue ends up destroying people, they spend so much time, energy, fouls, trying to stop Edey...which rarely works, and then when that breaks down, their other good players make plays.

Tough one. I wouldn't take either of those guys out, we need them offensively too badly. I'd tell Ware to try to play 3/4, but don't ever grab with your back arm. Try to dissuade post entries with his length. But if they do pass it in the post, just wall up on him and don't try to block his shot. Same for Malik when he guards him.

And I wouldn't double team Edey early in the game. If he scores 25 in the first half, so be it, make it really hard on the rest of the team. Save the doubling and stuff for the 2nd half, if needed. Purdue has plays and stuff designed for teams that run doubles at Edey. Throw out double teams sporadically when guys like Morton are in the game.

Its nothing Purdue/Edey haven't already seen, I'm sure. But the last thing you can be against them is predictable. And you're not going to stop Edey anyway...you just can't get in foul trouble, and you can't give their perimeter guys open looks from the outside. That's how Purdue ends up destroying people, they spend so much time, energy, fouls, trying to stop Edey...which rarely works, and then when that breaks down, their other good players make plays.
I don't understand why Ware doesn't play in front of Edey. What's your take on that? Why not make them throw it over Ware? He's helpless playing behind Edey deep in the paint, and he's not strong enough to keep Edey from getting deep in the paint.

Last edited:
I don't understand why Ware doesn't play in front of Edey. What's your take on that? Why not make them through it over Ware? He's helpless playing behind Edey deep in the paint, and he's not strong enough to keep Edey from getting deep in the paint.
I'm not a huge fan of all out fronting...it leaves you more exposed for others to cut and drive to the basket (hurt us badly in game at Mackey), also makes it more difficult to rebound. And Edey is really good at sealing, and Purdue has countless plays to utilize that where they'll run screen action away from Edey, Edey will seal, they'll skip it and dump it down to Edey. THEN, Ware is often coming down towards the basket from behind, and that's when refs call more fouls.

Main point is we're not stopping him no matter what. How can we put up some resistance, not foul, and effectively guard their other strengths...like Smith getting to the rim, and Loyer and Jones from the outside.

These last four wins are against bad competition. Wisconsin went 3-8 in its last 11. Michigan State has lost 3 of 4. Maryland is 7-10. Minnesota has lost 4 or 5 and just lost to Northewestern by 24 points. So I dont think they can be compared at all imo.
To say the least.

IU's worst loss that year was the home loss to Wisky that would have given them the outright championship. But that was to a good team, not the massive drubbing by PSU vs first year coach and a bunch of unknown freshmen. Not even close to relatable.

Plus, Ware is showing everyone at the end of the season just how much better IU should have been if coach and player were properly motivated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT