ADVERTISEMENT

This Board has become almost unreadable

Langford is coming off the bench averaging 6 points a game for the Utah Stars in the G-league, as a sophomore in high school he probably was one of the top 10 players in his class, after that it was a steady regression. he simply is a poor shooter, when your job title has something your poor at it in it's description, it's a bad sign.
Yep. He's like a point guard that can't dribble.

nope not injuries, that's just an excuse, it's a helluva lot easier to shoot against the Borden Braves than it is against the Denver Nuggets. He had great potential but never reached it. all kinds of factors could be to blame. Hès a smart kid and should be set for life.
JFC....Lets see you you dislocate your wrist...tear a ligament in your thiumb, have reoccurring basck spasms/issues----and see if it has any impact.

Hyperbole much? "Shooting vs Borden"? Dude lit up some very, very good HS teams---including La Lumiere. Not to m,ention...Southport, Pike, Princeton(OH), Warren Central, Bloom South, Carmel, FW North(Brooks). Center Grove, Castle....

Just quit....Kid averaged 16ppg as a frosh, with a bum back, wrist and thumb...Yet all some of you can do is trash the kid.

JFC....Lets see you you dislocate your wrist...tear a ligament in your thiumb, have reoccurring basck spasms/issues----and see if it has any impact.

Hyperbole much? "Shooting vs Borden"? Dude lit up some very, very good HS teams---including La Lumiere. Not to m,ention...Southport, Pike, Princeton(OH), Warren Central, Bloom South, Carmel, FW North(Brooks). Center Grove, Castle....

Just quit....Kid averaged 16ppg as a frosh, with a bum back, wrist and thumb...Yet all some of you can do is trash the kid.
Oh stop. No one is trashing Romeo. He's in his early 20s with probably an 8 figure net worth and set for life. There's probably no one on this board who wouldn't trade places with Romeo. He's a good dude and I'm sure he works hard. We're just pointing out obvious flaws in his game. If you want the $$$ be prepared to not be treated like a child all the time.

Oh stop. No one is trashing Romeo. He's in his early 20s with probably an 8 figure net worth and set for life. There's probably no one on this board who wouldn't trade places with Romeo. He's a good dude and I'm sure he works hard. We're just pointing out obvious flaws in his game. If you want the $$$ be prepared to not be treated like a child all the time.
Sure.....Kid has been trashed since he left. Impossible for those lfaws to be due to injuries---right? I mean those are excuses---right?

100% agree.... Getting talented big men is usually the challenge for college teams, we've done that pretty consistently for a while now.

But it's a perimeter oriented game in modern basketball. You have to get some combo of capable "get your own" guys along with at least two guys on the floor that the other team has to guard out to the 3 pt line. We haven't had it .. And it's not just now ... We haven't had it for years. Last year we at least had JHS and Kopp, but missed the other outside threat.

Now we've got... Well a lot of mediocrity. And what's frustrating is that there are those kind of guys all over college basketball. I refuse to believe there isn't some experienced, talented combo guard out there that we couldn't have added. Or if nothing else, another Kopp type.
It's debatable that big men are the recruiting challenge that matters in college basketball. A lot of serious fans think guards are more important for a college basketball team.

Examples? Well, how about this year's IU and Purdue? Both already have good big men, but guards have already shown they make the difference critical to their teams' success. We smothered Purdue's guards last year and Edey didn't really have much to do down there three feet from the hoop, wondering why his guards couldn't get the ball to him.

NBA play provides no guidance to the importance of guards in the college game. There are like 350+ Div. 1 college teams but only 30 NBA teams. These numbers graphically show why the NBA has no trouble finding guards who can handle the ball, shoot, rebound. (Or, for that matter, why the NBA can find big men that can do the same thing, like Magic Johnson, Kevin Durant, Luca Doncic, etc.). The NBA's pool of talent per the number of its teams presents a far easier recruiting challenge than what a college team has to go through.

1. I wasn't talking about your post on Larranaga, I was talking about the one on Dusty May.

2. Purdue hasn't made a final 4 since 1980, so who gives a shit where they are ranked in November?

3. I never said making the tournament "every other year" was the goal. Woodson has made the tournament every year so far since he's been here not "every other year". If he starts missing the tournament then my opinion will change, that said, at 5-1 there's no reason to assume that will happen at this point.

4. IU has a young team with top end freshman and sophomores, freshman and sophomores tend to get better as the season goes on, they're not close to what they will be at the end of the season. Purdue on the other hand is exactly what they will be, good team with a low ceiling in March.
We have only been to two final fours since 1987 so our track record is not much better. In the regular season it is alot worse actually.

I think Woody will get a very long leash, as beloved figure here at IU and also at a pretty advanced age, he is going to retire here at IU. Any talk of replacement coaches is just dumb. It's not going to happen. Zero chance of that.

Now, with that being said, I absolutely don't agree that it necessarily takes YEARS to build a BASKETBALL program. Are you kidding?

With so few players on the roster, the transfer portal, NIL and the amount of player movement that occurs on a yearly basis, why in the world does it require a long time to rebuild a basketball program at a place like IU? Or really ANY major program? That doesn't make sense.

A football program, I can understand from a logistical perspective. Not basketball. We have heard the same narrative from the same posters after each one of our coaches have been hired - be patient. It takes a long time to build a program.

But that simply isn't true in basketball. After all, there are only 13 scholarship players on the roster and really, only 7 or 8 play meaningful minutes in important games w/o injuries.

And it especially shouldn't take a long time to build a program now. The truth is, many of the good players no longer get "old" at their schools anymore. There's no reason that a rebuild at a place like IU should take 5 years.

And that seems to be what people are saying without specifying the exact number of years. We're in year 3 right now and IU is simply not looking like a team that will be able to compete on a national level yet. UCONN showed that pretty clearly. We'll obviously find out more in the next few weeks.

So when it is fair to expect IU to compete nationally? Not just to squeak into the tournament or finish in the upper half of a bad B1G. I mean, compete with good national teams. How many years should it take? An honest question...
How long did it take RMK? 3

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT