ADVERTISEMENT

This Board has become almost unreadable

Nobody is beaming I just think it’s ridiculous the amount of posts talking like Woodson is on the hot seat and like the season's over 6 games in.

The team is 5-1 and coming off a game where they looked much better than they had previously. Also there's this thing called improvement which young players typically do as the season wears on.

So while IU isn't great right now they'll certainly get better, is that enough? Who knows but I like the talent.
1. Implying Woody is on the hot seat is ignorant...

2. Not sure how much better IU was/looked vs Harvard. Still had trouble defnding the 3----struggled with rebounding----got beat off the bounce....and of course, couldn't make shots.

3. Of course the youngin's will improve...It aint the youngin's I am worried about---Its the old dudes in TG and X. Both have been pretty bad.

Shooting has to get better. IU cannot ride the coattails of MR and Ware. Teams are gonna take that away----Then what?

Just haven't seen much improvement from Game one, to Game 6. If any TBH.

Reactions: MrBing

2. Not sure how much better IU was/looked vs Harvard. Still had trouble defnding the 3----struggled with rebounding----got beat off the bounce....and of course, couldn't make shots.

3. Of course the youngin's will improve...It aint the youngin's I am worried about---Its the old dudes in TG and X. Both have been pretty bad.

Shooting has to get better. IU cannot ride the coattails of MR and Ware. Teams are gonna take that away----Then what?

MM is shooting a bit better.

Mgbako looked WAY better against Harvard and it looks like Cupps is getting his feet under him as well. Their improvements raise the team's ceiling for sure.

I'm also a bit concerned about X and Trey, Trey is simply not a starting 2 guard on a good team.

I wonder if Newton wasn't hurt if he would be taking any of those minutes.

X is what he is at this point, inconsistent, injury prone, and not a good leader.

I like the rest of the team but I would be lying if I didn't admit I was a bit concerned about those two.

Idk
Bunch on here give him a pass because he's a great former player under Knight..
At this very moment..I'd be lying not to say. Let's see how it plays out..Maybe some magic happens with this team.
Maybe he gets Queen in the spring .
Maybe this team wins 17 games and misses the dance ?
Who has given CMW a pass because of his history with IU? Has he needed a pass? This whole discussion is BS. Just like any newly hired coach, he is going to be given a chance to rebuild the program based on his vision. Nothing to do with his status as a former player for IU

Mgbako looked WAY better against Harvard and it looks like Cupps is getting his feet under him as well. Their improvements raise the team's ceiling for sure.

I'm also a bit concerned about X and Trey, Trey is simply not a starting 2 guard on a good team.

I wonder if Newton wasn't hurt if he would be taking any of those minutes.

X is what he is at this point, inconsistent, injury prone, and not a good leader.

I like the rest of the team but I would be lying if I didn't admit I was a bit concerned about those two.
Jakai would have TG parked on the bench if healthy...

MM looked good, 7-13 from the floor. His offense will come. Its his defense that needs fixed.

I like Cupps----Hoping Woody , with this injury to X, gives him lots of PT at the 1; Gallo there is a fukin disaster.

Personally, I'd like to see more Banks. IMO this kid just needs PT, to get the experience.

Roll with...…..

Gabe
Banks
MM
Reneau
Ware..

More ISO/pin downs for MM....Spread the floor, give MR more room to work---dude has been a monster.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Jakai would have TG parked on the bench if healthy...

MM looked good, 7-13 from the floor. His offense will come. Its his defense that needs fixed.

I like Cupps----Hoping Woody , with this injury to X, gives him lots of PT at the 1; Gallo there is a fukin disaster.

Personally, I'd like to see more Banks. IMO this kid just needs PT, to get the experience.

Roll with...…..

Gabe
Banks
MM
Reneau
Ware..

More ISO/pin downs for MM....Spread the floor, give MR more room to work---dude has been a monster.
Agree 100%

Valid argument ... but so is the opposite side. My primary issue is that the same things keep happening (3-point offense/defense, rebounding, directionless offense, etc.), and it's Year 3

And when a team is one injured starter away from potential disaster, that's a significant roster construction problem. IU's froncourt looks quite good, but the guard disadvantage the Hoosiers will face nearly every game in the B1G is concerning. Shooting 4-17 from three won't win many games against good teams ... even a team that hits 50% from two.
Not really. One argument is based on winning, which is really what it all comes down to. If CMW can win often enough, he will continue to have/gain support.

I agree with reserving judgment on Woody, but you’re minimizing just how terrible Archie really was. I don’t think we were even in the same zip code these past couple years, last year especially.

Watching Archieball then was like going to the dentist for every game. Either people are intentionally forgetting (PTSD) or they didn't watch.

We were far from a lock in 2020. Archie Miller brought this program to its’ knees. He’s probably the worst coach in IU history. No need to build him up just to criticize Woody.
I was never a miller apologist, and i don’t want this to come across as defending him , but one can make a very strong case the the 2020 team was better than 2022.

2020; 20-12 - final KenPom ranking 34. 65 in offense, 26 in Defense

2022: 21-14 - final KenPom 48. 95 in offense, 24 in D

Both teams were nearly identical in D, but the offensive numbers were much better in 2020.

The tournament was cancelled in 2020, but IMHO they had a better resume than the 2022 that made the play in game.

I was never a miller apologist, and i don’t want this to come across as defending him , but one can make a very strong case the the 2020 team was better than 2022.

2022: 21-14 - final KenPom 48. 95 in offense, 26 in D

Both teams were nearly identical in D, but the offensive numbers were much better in 2020.

The tournament was cancelled in 2020, but IMHO they had a better resume than the 2022 that made the play in game.
Some of us appreciate actual data- thanks!

We were far from a lock in 2020. Archie Miller brought this program to its’ knees. He’s probably the worst coach in IU history. No need to build him up just to criticize Woody.
I don't know why anyone insists on changing history like this. I believe it was 98 of the 99 most cited bracketologists had IU in - whatever the number, it was overwhelming. That's as close to a lock as it can be absent seeing the actual bracket.

Reactions: MrBing and Indyhorn
Many of IU's issues can be attributed to guard play, and guard play has been a legitimate issue.

JHS was decent defensively for a freshman but he left after his freshman year. I'm not as big of a fan of XJ as I once was, I think he holds the team back at times. Galloway either needs to start making shots or he can't play, his defense/rebounding hasn't been good enough to make up for the nothing he's brought on offense.

Cupps has a lot of potential but he is a freshman that hasn't grown into his college body yet.

That said, Woodson can still fix these things as he's only 6 games into his third year. It takes awhile to build a program.

Maybe in the old college era, your argument would hold water. In the current era, it has leaks all over the place. With free agency every off-season and a huge NIL budget, IU should not be as...uhnm.... Not good...as they are in year 3. Hell Butler looks better than IU in only Matta's 2nd year.... And they were really pretty bad last year.

This team is not very good - as we sit here today. Doesn't mean they can't get a lot better as the season goes on.

Reactions: Bucket Getter

2022: 21-14 - final KenPom 48. 95 in offense, 24 in D

What does that even matter? Even if they are similar years, Miller did that 1 out of 4 years and his last year was terrible. Woodson has been been 20+ wins and 2 tournaments in 2 years. His next “bad” year will be his first.

Woodson is the best coach since Knight and it’s not close. He coaches until he retires imo.

Maybe in the old college era, your argument would hold water. In the current era, it has leaks all over the place. With free agency every off-season and a huge NIL budget, IU should not be as...uhnm.... Not good...as they are in year 3. Hell Butler looks better in only Matta's 2nd year.... And they were really pretty bad last year.
How do you even know IU is "not good"? Do you have a crystal ball? Nobody has any idea how good IU is going to be with most of their best players being young and it only being 6 games into the season.

The BIG10 hasn't even started and IU is 5-1. These posts are laughable at this point.

How do you even know IU is "not good"? Do you have a crystal ball? Nobody has any idea how good IU is going to be with most of their best players being young and it only being 6 games into the season.

The BIG10 hasn't even started and IU is 5-1. These posts are laughable at this point.
Exactly. It’s funny to me how so many people are saying our guards are bad while we have 2 big men both shooting 60%+ from the floor. Of course our guards aren’t shooting a lot. And Galloway’s stats are up across the board except for 3 pt %. So if he is bad he has always been bad. But he is not. He is not a scoring guard but he is a good guard.

Because I have eyes and have watched college basketball for 40 years. They have not been good.... Therefore not good. Anyone claiming otherwise has some serious crimson shades on.

Doesn't mean they can't be better in the future. They played much better in the Harvard game, for example.

That’s very likely true. ;) However, I was ready for Archie to go during the fourth year. I didn’t think it would happen, but was pleased they made it happen. It didn’t work out. It happens.
I don't remember which year but, for me, there was a definite game in which the team was playing poorly and Archie just stared out on the floor and did nothing. He didn't yell at them. He didn't make substitutions. He didn't even stand up.

He just had this stupid look on his face like he didn't know what to do. I was done with him after that.

Because I have eyes and have watched college basketball for 40 years. They have not been good.... Therefore not good. Anyone claiming otherwise has some serious crimson shades on.

Doesn't mean they can't be better in the future. They played much better in the Harvard game, for example.
Yeah, this currently is not a good team. It has some upper-level talent in the front positions but also has glaring holes in the backcourt and has not so far built much chemistry. If you want to blame someone just to blame someone, blame the coach. That's the cost of leadership ..

It could be a very good defensive team, but offensively unless by some miracle the backcourt will cause struggles..

Plus, no one is saying we're good enough .. I think most are just responding to the emotional butthurt dumb that is so prevalent here..

The guard play and lack of triple-threat perimeter scorers is killing us, especially with the way Galloway is playing. That was a huge blunder by the coaching staff. It's not like they didn't try but trying isn't good enough. We needed a 1 or 2 the last cycle and failed to sign one and it's biting us in the ass ..

I don't have great expectations for this current team .. and if I did what would it matter?

Also, I do hope IU never recruits another perimeter player that can't shoot ... or one that needs work on their shot.

It's 2023, if you can't shoot, you can't play the 1, 2, 3 or 4 spot in basketball. The horrible mechanics on some of our players ... WTF happened to shooting?

Mack and Ware are fine or good enough ... everyone else has some f**ked up glitch. Reminds me of 90s PU teams ... ugly ass jumpers.

fwiw statistically.... we know all the bad stats... here's two good ones. IU has been hovering between 1 to 5 in FTR and 2pt FG %. If we can continue to draw fouls and hit foul shots, that offsets some of the 3 pt shooting. Rebounding needs to be improved ... drastically.

We can offset the shooting advantage in multiple ways, TO, FT, Off Reb .. win those three battles win the game. We're not out shooting anyone..

Last edited:
KP is just one rating service, but the bottom line is that the 2020 team and the 2022 team were much more similar than many people here like to admit.
What about the other three teams?

Miller was very bad.

DateTimeType OpponentConfSRS
TmOppOTWLStreakArena
18Tue, Jan 16, 2024REGPurdue (1)Big Ten30.79Assembly Hall
24Sat, Feb 10, 20248:00pREG@Purdue (1)Big Ten30.79Mackey Arena
15Sat, Jan 6, 2024REGOhio StateBig Ten21.20Assembly Hall
23Tue, Feb 6, 2024REG@Ohio StateBig Ten21.20Value City Arena
4Sun, Nov 19, 20231:00pREGNConnecticut (5)Big East20.95L577731L 1Madison Square Garden (IV)
10Sat, Dec 16, 2023REGKansas (5)Big 1220.48Assembly Hall
31Sun, Mar 10, 2024REGMichigan StateBig Ten18.13Assembly Hall
9Sat, Dec 9, 20232:00pREGNAuburnSEC17.16State Farm Arena
21Tue, Jan 30, 20247:00pREGIowaBig Ten16.90Assembly Hall
20Sat, Jan 27, 20243:00pREG@Illinois (24)Big Ten16.48State Farm Center
19Fri, Jan 19, 20248:30pREG@WisconsinBig Ten14.00
28Tue, Feb 27, 2024REGWisconsinBig Ten14.00Assembly Hall
14Wed, Jan 3, 20249:00pREG@NebraskaBig Ten13.52Pinnacle Bank Arena
26Wed, Feb 21, 2024REGNebraskaBig Ten13.52Assembly Hall
16Tue, Jan 9, 20247:00pREG@RutgersBig Ten13.34Rutgers Athletic Center
25Sun, Feb 18, 2024REGNorthwesternBig Ten11.18Assembly Hall
8Tue, Dec 5, 20239:00pREG@MichiganBig Ten10.40Crisler Arena
22Sat, Feb 3, 202412:00pREGPenn StateBig Ten10.37Assembly Hall
27Sat, Feb 24, 202412:00pREG@Penn StateBig Ten10.37Bryce Jordan Center
7Fri, Dec 1, 20237:00pREGMarylandBig Ten5.85Assembly Hall
29Sun, Mar 3, 20242:00pREG@MarylandBig Ten5.85Xfinity Center
6Sun, Nov 26, 20234:30pREGHarvardIvy5.19W897651W 2Gainbridge Fieldhouse
3Thu, Nov 16, 20237:00pREGWright StateHorizon5.05W898030W 3Assembly Hall
17Fri, Jan 12, 2024REGMinnesotaBig Ten-0.63Assembly Hall
30Wed, Mar 6, 20249:00pREG@MinnesotaBig Ten-0.63Williams Arena
11Tue, Dec 19, 2023REGMorehead StateOVC-1.64Assembly Hall
5Mon, Nov 20, 20234:30pREGNLouisvilleACC-3.52W746641W 1Madison Square Garden (IV)
1Tue, Nov 7, 20236:30pREGFlorida Gulf CoastA-Sun-6.94W696310W 1
12Thu, Dec 21, 2023REGNorth AlabamaA-Sun-8.57Assembly Hall
13Fri, Dec 29, 2023REGKennesaw StateA-Sun-13.45Assembly Hall
2Sun, Nov 12, 20237:00pREGArmyPatriot-18.34W726420W 2Assembly Hall

Look at the teams we've played vs the teams yet to come.​

I don't remember which year but, for me, there was a definite game in which the team was playing poorly and Archie just stared out on the floor and did nothing. He didn't yell at them. He didn't make substitutions. He didn't even stand up.

He just had this stupid look on his face like he didn't know what to do. I was done with him after that.
Facial expression experts crack me up ..

Yeah, this currently is not a good team. It has some upper-level talent in the front positions but also has glaring holes in the backcourt and has not so far built much chemistry. If you want to blame someone just to blame someone, blame the coach. That's the cost of leadership ..

It could be a very good defensive team, but offensively unless by some miracle the backcourt will cause struggles..

Plus, no one is saying we're good enough .. I think most are just responding to the emotional butthurt dumb that is so prevalent here..

The guard play and lack of triple-threat perimeter scorers is killing us, especially with the way Galloway is playing. That was a huge blunder by the coaching staff. It's not like they didn't try but trying isn't good enough. We needed a 1 or 2 the last cycle and failed to sign one iand t's biting us in the ass ..

I don't have great expectations for this current team .. and if I did what would it matter?

Also, I do hope IU never recruits another perimeter player that can't shoot ... or one that needs work on their shot.

It's 2023, if you can't shoot, you can't play the 1, 2, 3 or 4 spot in basketball and the horrible mechanics on some of our players ... WTF happened to shooting?

Mack and Ware are fine or good enough ... everyone else has some f**ked up glitch. Reminds me of 90s PU teams ... ugly ass jumpers.

fwiw statistically.... we know all the bad stats... here's two good ones. IU is been hovering between 1 to 5 in FTR and 2pt FG %. If we can continue to draw fouls and hit foul shots, that offsets some of the 3 pt shooting. Rebounding needs to be improved ...

We can offset the shooting advantage in multiple ways, TO, FT, Off Reb ...

100% agree.... Getting talented big men is usually the challenge for college teams, we've done that pretty consistently for a while now.

But it's a perimeter oriented game in modern basketball. You have to get some combo of capable "get your own" guys along with at least two guys on the floor that the other team has to guard out to the 3 pt line. We haven't had it .. And it's not just now ... We haven't had it for years. Last year we at least had JHS and Kopp, but missed the other outside threat.

Now we've got... Well a lot of mediocrity. And what's frustrating is that there are those kind of guys all over college basketball. I refuse to believe there isn't some experienced, talented combo guard out there that we couldn't have added. Or if nothing else, another Kopp type.

100% agree.... Getting talented big men is usually the challenge for college teams, we've done that pretty consistently for a while now.

But it's a perimeter oriented game in modern basketball. You have to get some combo of capable "get your own" guys along with at least two guys on the floor that the other team has to guard out to the 3 pt line. We haven't had it .. And it's not just now ... We haven't had it for years. Last year we at least had JHS and Kopp, but missed the other outside threat.

Now we've got... Well a lot of mediocrity. And what's frustrating is that there are those kind of guys all over college basketball. I refuse to believe there isn't some experienced, talented combo guard out there that we couldn't have added. Or if nothing else, another Kopp type.
One reason is ... IU was returning two backcourt starters.

Players generally go where minutes are, except for some teams in the SEC who somehow convince starter level transfers to sit the bench.

Not an excuse though... evaluate everyone possible and fill that spot, That's their job. At first, I thought they were just comfortable with what we had, but after seeing what we had in action..... well.

It's still early ...

way more engaged. The dude didn't have to play close to college level D in HS. This is brand new. Takes time. The effort and want to seem to be there. Will be fun watching him progress this year. You can see why he was a 5 star.
I like what I am seeing from both MM and Banks. By the end of the year that could be a heck of a combo. I honestly think, once healthy, X should look for his shot more. His % is solid and if he can get things going in addition to what we have seen from Ware and Reneau, we could be a much better team as we head into the second half the season.

Reactions: Cavanagh
The difference between Woodson's first year and most of Miller's years was a pretty fine line. Obviously last year was better.
Miller has been a HC for 12 years.....Woody 2+.

Miller: 4 NCAAT......4 wins.
Woody: 2 NCAAT....2 wins.

And three of those wins came in one tournament.

Its not even close.

Reactions: Beorik
Miller has been a HC for 12 years.....Woody 2+.

Miller: 4 NCAAT......4 wins.
Woody: 2 NCAAT....2 wins.

And three of those wins came in one tournament.

Its not even close.

Non-responsive. And Woodson rode an experienced all-time IU player that Miller recruited. All to beat a 13 seed and then get embarrassed by a 5 seed team

Reactions: IUPaterade724
Non-responsive. And Woodson rode an experienced all-time IU player that Miller recruited.
An experienced all time player that Miller recruited and won a whopping 14 games the year before Woodson got here. Woodson changed the trajectory of TJD.

Meh. IU lost 15 games Miller's last year. They lost 14 Woodson's 1st. That's not exactly an amazing change of trajectory
And won 6 more games. Plus turned TJD into a better ball handler and passer essentially making him draftable.

And won 6 more games. Plus turned TJD into a better ball handler and passer essentially making him draftable.

They played more scrub games, Miller's last year had fewer games due to Covid.

Went from 7-12 (10th) to 9-11 (9th) in conference...all with TJD getting a year older. That's a nothing

DateTimeTypeOpponentConfSRS
TmOppOTWLStreakArena
18Tue, Jan 16, 2024REGPurdue (1)Big Ten30.79Assembly Hall
24Sat, Feb 10, 20248:00pREG@Purdue (1)Big Ten30.79Mackey Arena
15Sat, Jan 6, 2024REGOhio StateBig Ten21.20Assembly Hall
23Tue, Feb 6, 2024REG@Ohio StateBig Ten21.20Value City Arena
4Sun, Nov 19, 20231:00pREGNConnecticut (5)Big East20.95L577731L 1Madison Square Garden (IV)
10Sat, Dec 16, 2023REGKansas (5)Big 1220.48Assembly Hall
31Sun, Mar 10, 2024REGMichigan StateBig Ten18.13Assembly Hall
9Sat, Dec 9, 20232:00pREGNAuburnSEC17.16State Farm Arena
21Tue, Jan 30, 20247:00pREGIowaBig Ten16.90Assembly Hall
20Sat, Jan 27, 20243:00pREG@Illinois (24)Big Ten16.48State Farm Center
19Fri, Jan 19, 20248:30pREG@WisconsinBig Ten14.00
28Tue, Feb 27, 2024REGWisconsinBig Ten14.00Assembly Hall
14Wed, Jan 3, 20249:00pREG@NebraskaBig Ten13.52Pinnacle Bank Arena
26Wed, Feb 21, 2024REGNebraskaBig Ten13.52Assembly Hall
16Tue, Jan 9, 20247:00pREG@RutgersBig Ten13.34Rutgers Athletic Center
25Sun, Feb 18, 2024REGNorthwesternBig Ten11.18Assembly Hall
8Tue, Dec 5, 20239:00pREG@MichiganBig Ten10.40Crisler Arena
22Sat, Feb 3, 202412:00pREGPenn StateBig Ten10.37Assembly Hall
27Sat, Feb 24, 202412:00pREG@Penn StateBig Ten10.37Bryce Jordan Center
7Fri, Dec 1, 20237:00pREGMarylandBig Ten5.85Assembly Hall
29Sun, Mar 3, 20242:00pREG@MarylandBig Ten5.85Xfinity Center
6Sun, Nov 26, 20234:30pREGHarvardIvy5.19W897651W 2Gainbridge Fieldhouse
3Thu, Nov 16, 20237:00pREGWright StateHorizon5.05W898030W 3Assembly Hall
17Fri, Jan 12, 2024REGMinnesotaBig Ten-0.63Assembly Hall
30Wed, Mar 6, 20249:00pREG@MinnesotaBig Ten-0.63Williams Arena
11Tue, Dec 19, 2023REGMorehead StateOVC-1.64Assembly Hall
5Mon, Nov 20, 20234:30pREGNLouisvilleACC-3.52W746641W 1Madison Square Garden (IV)
1Tue, Nov 7, 20236:30pREGFlorida Gulf CoastA-Sun-6.94W696310W 1
12Thu, Dec 21, 2023REGNorth AlabamaA-Sun-8.57Assembly Hall
13Fri, Dec 29, 2023REGKennesaw StateA-Sun-13.45Assembly Hall
2Sun, Nov 12, 20237:00pREGArmyPatriot-18.34W726420W 2Assembly Hall

Look at the teams we've played vs the teams yet to come.​

Thanks Dickie V, I had no idea.

They played more scrub games, Miller's last year had fewer games due to Covid.

Went from 7-12 (10th) to 9-11 (9th) in conference...all with TJD getting a year older. That's a nothing
12 wins to 21 wins is nothing? With basically the same roster?

Maybe Archie deserved COY Lmao.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT