ADVERTISEMENT

This Board has become almost unreadable

Yeah, this currently is not a good team. It has some upper-level talent in the front positions but also has glaring holes in the backcourt and has not so far built much chemistry. If you want to blame someone just to blame someone, blame the coach. That's the cost of leadership ..

It could be a very good defensive team, but offensively unless by some miracle the backcourt will cause struggles..

Plus, no one is saying we're good enough .. I think most are just responding to the emotional butthurt dumb that is so prevalent here..

The guard play and lack of triple-threat perimeter scorers is killing us, especially with the way Galloway is playing. That was a huge blunder by the coaching staff. It's not like they didn't try but trying isn't good enough. We needed a 1 or 2 the last cycle and failed to sign one and it's biting us in the ass ..

I don't have great expectations for this current team .. and if I did what would it matter?

Also, I do hope IU never recruits another perimeter player that can't shoot ... or one that needs work on their shot.

It's 2023, if you can't shoot, you can't play the 1, 2, 3 or 4 spot in basketball and the horrible mechanics on some of our players ... WTF happened to shooting?

Mack and Ware are fine or good enough ... everyone else has some f**ked up glitch. Reminds me of 90s PU teams ... ugly ass jumpers.

fwiw statistically.... we know all the bad stats... here's two good ones. IU has been hovering between 1 to 5 in FTR and 2pt FG %. If we can continue to draw fouls and hit foul shots, that offsets some of the 3 pt shooting. Rebounding needs to be improved ... drastically.

We can offset the shooting advantage in multiple ways, TO, FT, Off Reb .. win those three battles win the game. We're not out shooting anyone..
Attaboy. I knew you had it in you. 👏👏👏

They played more scrub games, Miller's last year had fewer games due to Covid.

Went from 7-12 (10th) to 9-11 (9th) in conference...all with TJD getting a year older. That's a nothing
In 2021 under Miller we were 12-15, with a final KenPom of 50, 70 on offense and 53 on d.

In 2022 under MW we were 21-14, with a final KenPom of 48, 95 on offense and 24 on D.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
the biggest difference between the two is Woodson is likable. and says the right things. Miller was cooked at the end lost the fan base, but the results are basically the same.
Miller was 35-31 after 2 seasons. He was 0-2 in the BTT, and no NCAA appearances. Woodson is 44-26 after 2 seasons. He's 3-2 in the BTT and 2 NCAA appearances.

That's not close to similar results.

Miller was 35-31 after 2 seasons. He was 0-2 in the BTT, and no NCAA appearances. Woodson is 44-26 after 2 seasons. He's 3-2 in the BTT and 2 NCAA appearances.

It’s not. We are clearly much better with Woody than lil arch. But the dude that started this thread thinks we are vying for a F4 this year because everyone is going to be sooooo much better in a couple months. He’s probably 12. Most of us seniors have a little better idea what it takes to compete at the highest level. We’ve seen it.

Shhhh....it is in some people's minds. If you squint hard enough it's basically the same.

Also the guy you're responding to is continuing to ignore my response to him about Danny Hurley at Uconn not even winning a tournament game until year 5. While he pretends like he had instant success at Uconn.

No need to take him too seriously.

Reactions: asindc and MrBing
12 wins to 21 wins is nothing? With basically the same roster?

Maybe Archie deserved COY Lmao.

You aren't the sharpest pencil in the box, huh?

The 12 wins was Covid year, with no fans and only 2 non major conf opponents. The next year had 8 low tier opponents.. That even Archie would have beat. So it's really 18 Ws vs 21 Ws.

Kpom finish 50 vs 48. Basically zero improvement.

In 2021 under Miller we were 12-15, with a final KenPom of 50, 70 on offense and 53 on d.

In 2022 under MW we were 21-14, with a final KenPom of 48, 95 on offense and 24 on D.

Thanks for making my point. Basically the same result..1 win difference was the difference between the play in game in 22 and wrong side of the bubble in 21.

I'd be surprised if we could even get back to 50 in kpom this season.

The 12 wins was Covid year, with no fans and only 2 non major conf opponents. The next year had 8 low tier opponents.. That even Archie would have beat. So it's really 18 Ws vs 21 Ws.

Archie was literally under .500 his last year and the team had quit on him, you can pretend all you want that it's the same but it's not.

Just don't hurt your eyes while you squint.

Reactions: MrBing
Thanks for making my point. Basically the same result..1 win difference was the difference between the play in game in 22 and wrong side of the bubble in 21.
IU improved 30 spots on D and led the BIG10 in defensive efficiency in Woodson's first year.

Also 12 to 21 is NOT a 1 win difference lmao.

Reactions: MrBing

Not sure it makes sense to compare a coach's 4th year with another coach's 1st year. Both are playing with coach 1's players.

Reactions: Middawg
Archie was literally under .500 his last year and the team had quit on him, you can pretend all you want that it's the same but it's not.

Just don't hurt your eyes while you squint.

I don't count trashy buy games. They are worthless.

If the barometer is a failed coach that got fired after 4 yards, then yeah Woodson is doing great.

If the idea is that he's somehow doing significantly better, then you are just lying to yourself.

Not sure it makes sense to compare a coach's 4th year with another coach's 1st year. Both are playing with coach 1's players.

Well he's in his 3rd year now.... Anyone want to bet he does better than Miller's 3rd year?

Back to this year's team ... I'd rather X just have not been here.... Let some of the others play and develop without him and see what they can do with extensive run. This year is not setting up to amount to anything significant so let's see what we have with these other guys going forward.

I don't count trashy buy games. They are worthless.

If the barometer is a failed coach that got fired after 4 yards, then yeah Woodson is doing great.

If the idea is that he's somehow doing significantly better, then you are just lying to yourself.
She’s not lying to herself. Mrs Woody is standing up for her man. Against all sense of reality.

Back to this year's team ... I'd rather X just have not been here.... Let some of the others play and develop without him and see what they can do with extensive run. This year is not setting up to amount to anything significant so let's see what we have with these other guys going forward.
IMO, this team's ceiling is higher than any we've had since 2013 and X is a big part of that. He's the bulldog we'll need when the going gets tough. I do wonder if he's lost a step with his foot-speed, though.

X is what he is at this point, inconsistent, injury prone, and not a good leader.
I hope you're wrong but fear you're right. The guy is what 24 or 25? In his sixth year. Injured again. Gets harder and harder to think we're going to see anything different.

IMO, this team's ceiling is higher than any we've had since 2013 and X is a big part of that. He's the bulldog we'll need when the going gets tough. I do wonder if he's lost a step with his foot-speed, though.

Let's see how it plays out. I don't see it at all, but will be happy to be wrong. Looks like a 17-18 win team to me. We'll know soon enough.

Woodson so far has proven to be a very good recruiter as well as a no bs guy. I have no doubt that he knows what the problems are and is doing his best to fix them.

Also people need to realize that IU isn't and hasn't been an elite program in a long time. Doesn't mean they can't get back, just that they're not now. Expecting final 4s right away with guys like Race, Galloway, and Miller Kopp starting (as well as the lack of depth down low the last few years something Woody fixed this year) is simply expecting too much.

Woodson took over an IU program that had missed the tournament for 5 straight years, so despite the attempts to downplay it, making the tournament and winning games his first two years with that same group WAS an accomplishment.

It takes years to build a program as we've seen from many of the top coaches in the sport, with Woodson's age I look at him as more of a bridge coach than one that will have all the success but I'm almost sure he'll leave the program in much better shape than he found it.

Either way in terms of wins and losses he hasn't done anything to deserve the amount of hate he's gotten on this board from "fans" and from many of IU's pathetic writers and analysts. They're 5-1, let it play out.
Yep he is proving to be a great recruiter of guard shooting talent right? I guess the state of Indiana doesn't have any shooters in it. I know there's a lot of negativity but your one sided things are great and getting better is a bit too rosey fo reality...

Why is that inaccurate?
X has been top 50 in assist rate every year. Top 20 his first year here. Do you not think that's worth a damn?

Galloway makes few mistakes (turnovers, fouls) while playing big minutes in conference games. People didn't seem to notice how many times he had to guard the other team's best guard last year because JHS couldn't (including Young at Maryland).

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Negative post after negative post about a coach and team that has us 5-1 after losing their top 4 scorers..

Look I'm not saying we are great or are going to be, but anyone with any common sense at all knew there was going to be growing pains after losing their all american big man, 1st round point guard, and two other starters.

I'm just saying to let the season play out, also Woodson isn't going anywhere until he decides to leave. He's made the tournament and won games in his two years after IU hadn't even made it once in their previous 5. He's done this while recruiting off the charts so far.

He's not even close to the hot seat currently, some of you need to stop watching the Kent Sterling's of the world and step on over to reality.
Why are you surprised that everyone here is so damn miserable? It's been 25 plus years of hell. Also, truest Tweet ever written.

I agree with most of this but where we disagree is I expect improvement throughout this season from our young players which you do not.

This team is young (outside of Galloway who's been a disappointment) and most will improve with experience.

We're already starting to see it with MM, MR, Ware, and Banks. I expect Cupps to make strides throughout the season as well. This roster has MILES more potential than the rosters of the last few years with Race, Kopp, JG, and others.
Not true at all; I expect individual improvement ... but the players are hamstrung by its coach's offensive "philosophy" (whatever it is). It's the system that's flawed.

In 2+ seasons, the 3-point shot has not been a priority, and that's not up for debate. There's a limit to a team's potential when it rarely utilizes the most important shot in basketball. You think a good shooter wants to come to IU? Why would he? Knecht and others probably looked at the offense and said, "Not for me."

Woodson inherited a much better roster. I'd still take Woodson over archie. in reality neither has sniffed what Crean accomplished. jury is still out on Woodson time will tell

Non-responsive. And Woodson rode an experienced all-time IU player that Miller recruited. All to beat a 13 seed and then get embarrassed by a 5 seed team
Yet couldn't sniff the tournament with him.

Weird.

Or with Langford

Again...Weird

Yet couldn't sniff the tournament with him.

Weird.

Or with Langford

Again...Weird
Langford is coming off the bench averaging 6 points a game for the Utah Stars in the G-league, as a sophomore in high school he probably was one of the top 10 players in his class, after that it was a steady regression. he simply is a poor shooter, when your job title has something your poor at it in it's description, it's a bad sign.

Last edited:
Reactions: dbmhoosier
Langford is coming off the bench averaging 6 points a game for the Utah Stars in the G-league, as a sophomore in high school he probably was one of the top 10 players in his class, after that it was a steady regression. he simply is a poor shooter, when your job title has something your poor at it in it's description, it's a bad sign.
Langford injuries have derailed what would have been an even better one year at IU, and pro career. Kid was banged up entire senior year, and freshman year(Indiana). He shot the ball extremely well in HS, until injuring his wrist and back. Never the same.

Langford injuries have derailed what would have been an even better one year at IU, and pro career. Kid was banged up entire senior year, and freshman year(Indiana). He shot the ball extremely well in HS, until injuring his wrist and back. Never the same.
nope not injuries, that's just an excuse, it's a helluva lot easier to shoot against the Borden Braves than it is against the Denver Nuggets. He had great potential but never reached it. all kinds of factors could be to blame. Hès a smart kid and should be set for life.

Not true at all; I expect individual improvement ... but the players are hamstrung by its coach's offensive "philosophy" (whatever it is). It's the system that's flawed.

In 2+ seasons, the 3-point shot has not been a priority, and that's not up for debate. There's a limit to a team's potential when it rarely utilizes the most important shot in basketball. You think a good shooter wants to come to IU? Why would he? Knecht and others probably looked at the offense and said, "Not for me."
Cool story, coach Dunning-Kruger ...

Think about it ...

So was my response. He never smiled ...

Geez ..
Ha, I’m slow today (esp as you’ve made that reply before a # of times).

My view of him was white pants, white golf shirt, black mask and a terrible scowl.

Reactions: T.M.P.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT