ADVERTISEMENT

This Board has become almost unreadable

I didn't say they were 5 star recruits, just that they were part of top 10 classes. Many of them were top 50 though.

Either way you need good recruiting to win championships which was pretty much his whole point.
Yes of course. By definition if you win a championship you had good recruiting but what constitutes good recruiting is the issue.

Kansas 2022
Agbaji-3 star
Braun-3 star
Wilson 4 star
mccormack 4 star
Harris 4 star
Martin 3 star
McCormack, Wilson, and JCL were all easily top 50 recruits, they also included many others in the top 100.

Bill Self is one of the best and he did a great job with that team but he didn't do it without talent and multiple top 15 classes.

Yes of course. By definition if you win a championship you had good recruiting but what constitutes good recruiting is the issue.
Nobody said anything about 5 star recruits, that was all you. He was just talking about good recruiting which Kansas and Uconn both had.

There's also an element of luck involved that benefits teams that consistently put themselves in position to make runs. IU needs to continue to find that consistency.

Nobody said anything about 5 star recruits, that was all you. He was just talking about good recruiting which Kansas and Uconn both had.

There's also an element of luck involved that benefits teams that consistently put themselves in position to make runs. IU needs to continue to find that consistency.
Sorry but when recruiting and NBA bound are used together it typically means 5 stars and how many people judge recruiting is sadly by 5 stars. Glad that is not the case here.

1. I wasn't talking about your post on Larranaga, I was talking about the one on Dusty May.

2. Purdue hasn't made a final 4 since 1980, so who gives a shit where they are ranked in November?

3. I never said making the tournament "every other year" was the goal. Woodson has made the tournament every year so far since he's been here not "every other year". If he starts missing the tournament then my opinion will change, that said, at 5-1 there's no reason to assume that will happen at this point.

4. IU has a young team with top end freshman and sophomores, freshman and sophomores tend to get better as the season goes on, they're not close to what they will be at the end of the season. Purdue on the other hand is exactly what they will be, good team with a low ceiling in March.
I just want guards who can shoot, play smart and create offense.

My definition of good recruiting is landing the guys you want. Maybe they're 1 and done 5 stars or maybe they're 3 or 4 stars who become veterans in your system. Ideally, you want both.

Just not true. The recent national champs have had returning upperclassmen and not one and dones.

Duke just got beat again with the best back to back recruiting classes in recent NCAA history.
Both KU and UCONN put multiple guys in the NBA.

Both KU and UCONN put multiple guys in the NBA.
My contention is that player development over multiple seasons put them in the NBA as much as anything else. The success of their college teams gave them exposure. Sanogo is in the G league. I haven’t checked on others but know Hawkins doing well.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUPaterade724
My definition of good recruiting is landing the guys you want. Maybe they're 1 and done 5 stars or maybe they're 3 or 4 stars who become veterans in your system. Ideally, you want both.
I think having a 5 star that goes after one year is more likely to be a detriment to your program than not. If a 5 star will commit to more than one season then fantastic but they hardly ever result in a championship with only one year. AD at UK being the exception. I’ll take a good multi year 4 star with good work ethic over a one and done in almost all cases.

Negative post after negative post about a coach and team that has us 5-1 after losing their top 4 scorers..

Look I'm not saying we are great or are going to be, but anyone with any common sense at all knew there was going to be growing pains after losing their all american big man, 1st round point guard, and two other starters.

I'm just saying to let the season play out, also Woodson isn't going anywhere until he decides to leave. He's made the tournament and won games in his two years after IU hadn't even made it once in their previous 5. He's done this while recruiting off the charts so far.

He's not even close to the hot seat currently, some of you need to stop watching the Kent Sterling's of the world and step on over to reality.
So what should we discuss when talking about IU? How good Ware and Reneau have been? Ok..They have been very good.

What else?

If we JUST focused on the good, this board would be an absolute ghost town.

Here's the thing--Its not being negative to point out concerns..Or flaws. Especially when some of those concerns are concerns that we've had since Year 1, i.e. shooting. JHS and Trayce his a ton of deficiency with this offense. A LOT. That's a concern..It's not being negative. It's simply discussing a problem.

Our defense has been bad..X has been bad..Gallo has been bad. Rebounding has been bad. Shooting ...Well, ummm...Calling that bad would be nice. 17-80.

So, asides from the play of Ware amd Reneau, what is it that has you beaming on this Thursday afternoon.

I think having a 5 star that goes after one year is more likely to be a detriment to your program than not. If a 5 star will commit to more than one season then fantastic but they hardly ever result in a championship with only one year. AD at UK being the exception. I’ll take a good multi year 4 star with good work ethic over a one and done in almost all cases.
The problem you have as a coach is that if you take a 4 star that you think could help a tourney run in a couple seasons versus a one and done when you have no chance of a tourney run in his year of eligibility, then the Facebook /social media portion of the fan base comes unglued.

The problem you have as a coach is that if you take a 4 star that you think could help a tourney run in a couple seasons versus a one and done when you have no chance of a tourney run in his year of eligibility, then the Facebook /social media portion of the fan base comes unglued.
To be fair, most 4-stars (obviously not all) are going to be at least serviceable in that first year. But, talent evaluation is obviously a huge part of the job of a coach.

So what should we discuss when talking about IU? How good Ware and Reneau have been? Ok..They have been very good.

What else?

If we JUST focused on the good, this board would be an absolute ghost town.

Here's the thing--Its not being negative to point out concerns..Or flaws. Especially when some of those concerns are concerns that we've had since Year 1, i.e. shooting. JHS and Trayce his a ton of deficiency with this offense. A LOT. That's a concern..It's not being negative. It's simply discussing a problem.

Our defense has been bad..X has been bad..Gallo has been bad. Rebounding has been bad. Shooting ...Well, ummm...Calling that bad would be nice. 17-80.

So, asides from the play of Ware amd Reneau, what is it that has you beaming on this Thursday afternoon.
Nobody is beaming I just think it’s ridiculous the amount of posts talking like Woodson is on the hot seat and like the season's over 6 games in.

The team is 5-1 and coming off a game where they looked much better than they had previously. Also there's this thing called improvement which young players typically do as the season wears on.

So while IU isn't great right now they'll certainly get better, is that enough? Who knows but I like the talent.

They stuck with him through thin and thin and cursed those that didn’t.
I actually vividly remember telling him that he would for sure been have been the captain on the titanic. Down with the ship!! He told me I would be one of the guys jumping off with the women and children 😂

• Love
Reactions: CriticArisen
Nobody is beaming I just think it’s ridiculous the amount of posts talking like Woodson is on the hot seat and like the season's over 6 games in.

The team is 5-1 and coming off a game where they looked much better than they had previously. Also there's this thing called improvement which young players typically do as the season wears on.

So while IU isn't great right now they'll certainly get better, is that enough? Who knows but I like the talent.
Posts about MW “being” on the hot seat? I saw one made a while back (before the season started) in which the poster felt that if we had a bad year this year, that he should be on the hot seat. There have been posts that said he IS on the hot seat?

Posts about MW “being” on the hot seat? I saw one made a while back (before the season started) in which the poster felt that if we had a bad year this year, that he should be on the hot seat. There have been posts that said he IS on the hot seat?
There have been multiple posts on potential replacements here but it's not just this board, the moronic writers for IU that want him gone are way worse than this board.

Also, anyone that had him on the hot seat if IU struggled this year is a moron. If he struggles this year and next? Absolutely, that said he almost won coach of the year in year one and finished tied for 2nd in the BIG10 last year. No way he would be on the hot seat after losing his top 4 scorers.

If he struggles this year and next I would want him gone too but he's not going anywhere regardless of what happens this season.

There have been multiple posts on potential replacements here but it's not just this board, the moronic writers for IU that want him gone are way worse than this board.

Also, anyone that had him on the hot seat if IU struggled this year is a moron. If he struggles this year and next? Absolutely, that said he almost won coach of the year in year one and finished tied for 2nd in the BIG10 last year. No way he would be on the hot seat after losing his top 4 scorers.

If he struggles this year and next I would want him gone too but he's not going anywhere regardless of what happens this season.
I would venture to say that every person on this forum thinks he will be back next season.

Talking about eventual replacements, someone saying they think he was a bad hire, or being critical of him as a coach in no way changes his job security.

Edit: you also mentioned “moronic writers for IU”, not sure who/what you are referring to, as I ignore that type of stuff.

Last edited:
I don’t think that was your opinion at the time 😬😬
It most definitely was my opinion during the fourth year. I was doubting that it would happen due to the buyout, but I was good with moving on at that point and said so. I didn’t whine, moan and groan about it. That’s not what I do. I’ve got very little, make that no, respect for childish whining.

Reactions: MrBing
I actually vividly remember telling him that he would for sure been have been the captain on the titanic. Down with the ship!! He told me I would be one of the guys jumping off with the women and children 😂
That’s very likely true. ;) However, I was ready for Archie to go during the fourth year. I didn’t think it would happen, but was pleased they made it happen. It didn’t work out. It happens.

Fair enough. We'll table this discussion until March.
I think we will know a bunch more about this season and Woody after the next four games. I’m also reserving judgement on Woody as I don’t think winning a play in game and then a first round game the next season is really much different than where Archie had us given Archie missed NIL and the transfer portal. I think Woody has our defense much better, but fact we are running same offense now without Trayce has me concerned.

Reactions: Hatchets7times
I’m also reserving judgement on Woody as I don’t think winning a play in game and then a first round game the next season is really much different than where Archie had us given Archie missed NIL and the transfer portal.
Lol wut?

Yeah you're right, winning 21 games and a tournament game isn't a lot different than going 12-15 and losing the team. Especially with largely the same roster.

This has to be a troll.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I think we will know a bunch more about this season and Woody after the next four games. I’m also reserving judgement on Woody as I don’t think winning a play in game and then a first round game the next season is really much different than where Archie had us given Archie missed NIL and the transfer portal. I think Woody has our defense much better, but fact we are running same offense now without Trayce has me concerned.
I agree with reserving judgment on Woody, but you’re minimizing just how terrible Archie really was. I don’t think we were even in the same zip code these past couple years, last year especially.

Lol wut?

Yeah you're right, winning 21 games and a tournament game isn't a lot different than going 12-15 and losing the team. Especially with largely the same roster.

This has to be a troll.
Do you recall 2020 Big Ten tournament when we whipped Nebraska in Wednesday game? IU was in NCAA tournament field in all prognostications before they canceled the dance. That’s a similar result to what Woody has done in seasons 1 and 2 in my view. I’m not one for building a statue for a coach who had two NBA draft picks, one of which a consensus All American and reached the top 32. Why am I premium if I’m a troll? I can duck to the premium forum to avoid your Karen-self!

Do you recall 2020 Big Ten tournament when we whipped Nebraska in Wednesday game? IU was in NCAA tournament field in all prognostications before they canceled the dance. That’s a similar result to what Woody has done in seasons 1 and 2 in my view. I’m not one for building a statue for a coach who had two NBA draft picks, one of which a consensus All American and reached the top 32. Why am I premium if I’m a troll? I can duck to the premium forum to avoid your Karen-self!
We were far from a lock in 2020. Archie Miller brought this program to its’ knees. He’s probably the worst coach in IU history. No need to build him up just to criticize Woody.

Why am I premium if I’m a troll? I can duck to the premium forum to avoid your Karen-self!
You might want to do that then if you honestly don't think there's a big difference between Woodson and Archie so far.

Woodson almost won coach of the year in the Big10 in year 1 because of a 9 win improvement over Archie with the same roster. In year two he finished tied for 2nd in the Big10 while sweeping multiple teams that Archie never even defeated once in his 4 years.

Some of you can't be this stupid.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
You might want to do that then if you honestly don't think there's a big difference between Woodson and Archie so far.

Woodson almost won coach of the year in the Big10 in year 1 because of a 9 win improvement over Archie with the same roster. In year two he finished tied for 2nd in the Big10 while sweeping multiple teams that Archie never even defeated once in his 4 years.

Some of you can't be this stupid.
Karen why do you only quote a couple sentences of a post? Maybe full paragraphs don’t support your view that Woody is HOF in waiting? If you yourself could become premium you’d have two boards too peruse, but I bet you’d still be pissed off by difference of opinions and folks who actually evaluate all data. In any case later days Karen. Hope you can find a better way to argue to control the thoughts of others. Sunshine pumping is fine in my view but so too are folks who want IU to at least meet standards set by Tom Crean who was also canned

Last edited:
Reactions: salient43
Karen why do you only quote a couple sentences of a post? Maybe full paragraphs don’t support your view that Woody is HOF in waiting? If you yourself could become premium you’d have two boards too peruse, but I bet you’d still be pissed off by difference of opinions and folks who actually evaluate all data. In any case later days Karen. Hope you can find a better way to argue to control the thoughts of others. Sunshine pumping is fine in my view but so too are folks who want IU to at least meet standards set by Tom Crean who was also canned
Dumb

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT